Affli & ranged dps challenge for Celestial Blessings

90 Undead Warlock
When trying to complete the ranged dps challenge at the temple of the Jade serpent for the Wrathion Celestial Blessings quest that rewards you the ilvl 600 cloak, I had a hard time as an affliction lock.
Because I couldn't find video's or info for this quest concerning affliction, maybe the tips below will help others trying:

Don't bother with trying to kill the blob adds that Wrathion spawns. I couldn't kill them fast enough thru lack of proper aoe. Killing them one by one didn't help cause by the time the last one died, the first one already respawned.

Instead focus on the boss the whole time! That way you should get him down before he goes into clone phase.

Don't bother using a pet to tank the blobs, they will devour it in a matter of seconds anyway.

- buy 'celestial offering' from the august celestial quartermaster if you can, it will make sure you get an extra 10% intel buff whenever you are near the temple of the jade serpent
- food buff, intel flask
- Use grimoire of sacrifice; you don't need your pet anyway and the extra dps from sacrifice will help
- glyph curse of exhaustion so you can aoe slow the blobs bigtime
- take shadowfury as a talent, so you can stun the blobs
- set up portals from one end of the room to the other before the encounter
- I glyphed Dark soul as well cause I figured I would spend more time damaging the boss outside it's cooldown then in it

Always remember that standing right behind the boss will make you do 3 times more damage. Even when it seems you are standing in his aoe effect that way, you will take no damage from it!

So when the encounter starts, stand ready behind boss, pre-pot, pop cooldown, summon doomguard and blast away on him as much as you can. He'll do about 3 aoe attacks before summoning blob adds, make sure you get behind him every time to do as much damage as you can.
As soon as the blob adds are starting to get close to you, soulburn:curse of exhaustion one of them so they are all slowed and go back to dps'ing the boss. When the adds start to catch up again, alternate with aoe slowing them, stunning them with shadowfury or using your gateways to get away from them.
All the while try to damage the boss as much as possible, try to get behind him as often as you can, all the while avoiding the aoe effects on the floor.

This way I finally managed to get him down before starting the clone phase.
Demonology and destruction will have it easier I think, cause they can just aoe the blob adds down rather fast.

There might be better, easier or more elegant solutions, but I had a hard time with Wrathion, and this was what finally worked for me and I hope it'll help someone else. :)

I also encountered following problems (bugs?) in the challenge:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7645875297
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Anyone have any tips on how to go about this encounter in destro spec ?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
You should have more than enough dps to do it. Make sure you stagger the deaths of the blobs, if you pop cooldowns the first time he spawns them to get them down they'll all respawn at once. I believe they do die and ress, so you can use their deaths to generate extra embers/shards to up your dps on the boss.

Spank as hard as you can on his back, i hit some monster chaos bolts on there.

For destro/demo early burst leave the temple, find mobs, farm secondary resource and then go for an attempt

Essentially, if you put everything into killing the respawning adds ASAP being sure to stagger their deaths, then there's not much to worry about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
You should have more than enough dps to do it. Make sure you stagger the deaths of the blobs, if you pop cooldowns the first time he spawns them to get them down they'll all respawn at once. I believe they do die and ress, so you can use their deaths to generate extra embers/shards to up your dps on the boss.

Spank as hard as you can on his back, i hit some monster chaos bolts on there.

For destro/demo early burst leave the temple, find mobs, farm secondary resource and then go for an attempt

Essentially, if you put everything into killing the respawning adds ASAP being sure to stagger their deaths, then there's not much to worry about.

Thanks :) yes I found I could hit him for 2 million when his back was turned, also found out he can be feared ( probably with diminishing returns) too. Will also keep in mind that those annoying blobs deaths need staggering. The encounters definately doable once those annoying first set of speedy blobs are dealt with. Not entirely sure if tackled by going GoSup or GoSac. Will keep plugging away until I get him down :).
Does Yu'Lon stop the fight if the blobs arent dealt with quick enough ? anyone confirm this ?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
The blobs just keep gaining stacks which increase their damage done and movement speed. By the time you're getting to the end of the original group which spawns you'll find that the remaining blobs are moving very quickly and hitting very hard. They ress with no stacks though, so after the spawn group is dealt with you can easily kill them one by one as they ress and kite them around as you do so without any problems.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Anyone have any tips on how to go about this encounter in destro spec ?

I found it too hard to do with the 30% snare from KJC, so I went Mannoroth's Fury Destro and facerolled it utterly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Spent most of last night wiping endlessly to those blobs, my best attempt i got passed the 'w' in his name. Found flames of Xoroth useful for getting my voidlord back in action. Those blobs can be feared as well. Just wish that my guardian cd would reset at each attempt like it does in raids. Also I found it weird that there wasn't any mobs that close by so I could farm some embers, unless you flew passed where you meet the black prince outside the temple.
Not giving up just yet, will keep trying. :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Greetings

Did it as Affliction with Howl of Terror.Tried shadowfury at first but the stun is too short.Howl on the other hand is a 20 seconds freecast on wrathion.After that is a combination of SB:CoEX and use of gateway/portal till howl is up again.You can also use fear if an add gets too close.It goes without saying that you should use flasks/potions/healthcookies.
Hope you all get your cloak:)

Regards
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I'm going to be a little bit cheeky and suggest that any lock that has completed the green fire quest should automatically get a pass at this challenge :3
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
just done on my boomkin nuke mass entangelment adds=win,spent a while wiping trying to deal with adds,1 shotted after reading comments here so cheers
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Finally nailed it!

My strategy was as follows:

Howl of terror - popped it soon as he spawn the blobs, sent them and him scattering,
kept hitting him from behind with chaos bolts
used flames of xoroth to instantly res my voidlord, spammed rain of fire when he was cloning, when he came out of it i popped my doomlord, kept blobs feared as well as popping dark bargain, by this time i hit shadowburn spam and got him a few moments later :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Reforge all your hit off. You don't need it. Add crit or mastery or haste, but lose the hit.
As above. use howl and especially mannoroths fury.
If you took extra mastery or crit from the dropped hit, practice getting behind him and chaos bolt him. I got two in at the start at 1.4m+ each

Personally for the adds, I nuked them as I kited them. Used my gates with my F&B to immolate while at distance.
Infernal off cooldown is also very helpful for second spawn of adds.

Gratz btw. well done.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Did the question finished today at the second attempt as destro. I made no changes to the talents setup as suggested earlier.

I made sure to stand behind him, so I started first ROFire (right before the fight), DS, CoE, sent my Voidlord on Wrathion, immolate, CB and Conflagrate so twice CBolt. When the blob adds spawn I used abyssal and had only my thoughts to be behind Wrathion all the time. Filled in with RF, incinerate etc. ..

I did not lose my pet, no blob came after me and Abyssal was yet in life when the game was finished after 41 sec. Did not use any kind of portal, blob attack my pet and abyssal

Is now a happy owner of a new cloak -!

have a nice fight
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
-
Edited by Hezet on 12/08/2013 10:45 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm REALLY pissed with this one tbh!...

...Tried everything you guys suggested, more or less, and after 15+ tries the result is the same - he WON'T die!.-

Destro lock, 545 ilvl here btw.

My most...successful (...) attempt was with the following talents:

- Dark regeneration
- Demonic Breath
- Dark Bargain
- Unbound Will
- GoSac
- KJC

Glyphs:

- Siphon Life
- Conflagrate
- Ember Tap

So, I start the fight having a voidwalker as a pet. I have set a gateway before i start, that expands from Yulon (alongside the gong thingie) to the other end (far "vertical" purple carpet). Used also flask + food + a demonic circle near the gateway.

I start at his back throw some spells on him etc. Thing is you can't stay too long at his back as you know. So, first wave of adds comes, right? AOE + Demonic breath (if they come too close) + even HoT when things look ugly. In the meantime Wrathion starts casting his s**** on the ground, so you CAN'T be at his back for more dmg (as some of u suggest)!...

...So, eventually, 1st wave is down, but since I'm focusing more on th adds than the boss himself, he ain't hurting much at this point. Until the next wave of adds arrive I manage to throw some spells on him etc., but still nothing...fatal, really!...

...Ok, now the 2nd wave appears, right? Same drill as with the first wave more or less, BUT these *****s are REALLY fast now!...So, I start bleeding by them + from Wrathions' spells (cause you only have *that* much space to "dance around" after all)!...

...Self-healing spells / pots / whatever, + use of my Doomguard (or should I use Infernal instead here?), and I manage to survive the 2nd wave as well...

...And then comes the "mirror-phase"!...

...So, Wrathion DISAPPEARS among the numerous "images" of himself which do significant dmg to me after a while. By the time I track him down, new adds pop-up which are INSANELY fast / hit like a truck, so it's like GAME OVER after this!.-

...So, wtf am I doing wrong? Can any DESTRO lock provide [b]VALID[/b] step-by-step info on how to kill Wrathion?

P.S.: Constructive comments ONLY from Destro locks are valuable in this case. Thanks for your speedy reply on this one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
LOL...nvm this post...I FINALLY did it!!!... :-S :-O
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
You really don't need all this startegy guys here is what to do all you do is build up 4 burning embers outside the temple then stand behind wrathion after ringing the gong pop flask pot and mastery cool down spam 4 chaos bolts this is 9 million damage on him already when he spams adds just immediately cast warlock stun move for 3 seconds that hits all enemy's after that nuke wrathion again when they break cc just use howling terror to scatter them they stay feared up to 10 seconds wrathion runs away from you just nuke him down after that use sacrificial pack to absorb enemy damage keep nuking wrathion use flames to ress pet if needed blobs always attack pet he will go down in less than 3 minutes. hope this helps some people.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warlock
Good job on the necro, this thread is from ToT, when most people were around 520-530ish and shadowfury&howl of terror were both talents in the same tier. You needed to kill the blobs otherwise they would take on too many stacks and one shot you. Of course you can 'LOL!-CHEESE-IT' in the gear available now...

(Aside, please try to use punctuation, your post is very unpleasant to read)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]