What do you think is the best way to increase pvp skill

1 Troll Shaman
1. Do random bgs with people you know/random bgs
2. Start doing arenas from scratch
3. Duels
4. Watch streams/videos/guides
5. Other, what?
Reply Quote
Arenas for sure + reading guides about ur class and watching streams of experienced players aswell, but mainly doing arenas and learning from your mistakes thats the best way.
Edited by Nevraxx on 23/06/2013 17:51 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Rolling FOTM classes.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Rolling FOTM classes.

This.

I never played arena till S2 and i was 2.1k rated RESTO DRUID xD 2.1k back then was like top 10 realm.
Reply Quote
1 Troll Shaman
OK about the FOTM but those who get gladiator and stay there season after season or duelist.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
spam arenas until you learn something
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Everyone learns a different way, some by watching, some by listening, some by doing.

I find it best to do something myself in order to get better at it so i'd agree with:

After every fight, think about how the fight went, what did you do well, what did you do bad, and what can you do better.

If you won, what did you do well that made your team win?
If you lost, what mistake did you or your partner make?

Sometimes it might be simply that the other team has better gear than you and there's nothing you can do about it.

Try to pay attention to everyone in the arena, it's one of the hardest things to do, having good awareness of everything that's going on. Communication with your teammates should help that a lot but you should still pay close attention to the enemy players, so you can learn how each class/spec plays. Maybe you'll be able to predict their movements and what skill they are going to use next in their combo/cc chain so you can prevent that.

Hope this helps at all :)
Reply Quote
55 Human Death Knight
Duels and arena. Duels more to get a feel for other specs cooldowns etc and knowing how to counter.

Then you spam arena till you're not confused and know why you lost.

The most important and hardest ofc is finding other good players, on a good spec that will work with yours. This isn't easy on small servers. Arena just as much about comp as it is about skill and team work.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Guides on arena are pretty useless, guides on your class can be very helpfull for tricks/maximizing damage. But just doing loads of arena matches is most important.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Play the game

Get better at it

Is this not obvious for everything in life? Do something to get better at it? Pretty pointless thread
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
For training - I think 2v2 arenas playing as healer + dps is really good. Also duels aren't bad if you can avoid the cheese. Neither are particularly fun however.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I did dueling a lot. In cataclysm I dueled like so many times vs frost mage because I couldnt believe there is a game with such a big inbalance in pvp. (Started playing in Cataclysm). So I learnt few things about mages and how to make much pressure.

In Mist of Pandaria I started playing a lot. 2v2 mostly with Holy Paladin with some coordination with crowdcontrols (fear/repentance/shockwave/heroic throw silence) and it all went good. Didnt really play a lot 3s so Im a bit "sad" about it. Still got "Challenger" title and almost 2000 xp in 3s. (Played KFC just for the title).

I also watched quite many times streamers, how they play and what they do in different situations so learnt few things from there to.

I suggest you play alot, learn how different class works (basic at start). Learn how vulnerable classes are for different kind of things (like Paladin cannot bubble if locked from holy school for 3s) things like that.

Play right setup. Dont try to play !@#$ty setups when you arent that good of a player. It is rude to say but take the most op classes to your teammate.

Start playing a bit low MMR, if you get stuck in 1900-2100 MMR, tank your mmr a bit if you have good team but not the skill to beat them. Think what you did wrong in those games and when you come back to those 1900-2100 mmr games where players actually know things punish them!

Use skype, use coordination when you use crowdcontrols. ("I fade and fear now", "OK, I will scatter trap after" "I can stun him out of trap so silencing shot him out of my stun?" "Okay will do that" "Ok my fear is up again will be full because dr has gone, will fear him" "Ok my scatter trap ready too will trap") ;)

Always have a game plan. What you will do in arena. Dont just "Lets try to kill retri and see what happens". Always have a little game plan.

Learn how to counter healers:
"Oh there is rdruid, he cant really heal well multiple targets. Maybe we should make switches or split dps?" "Maybe fake burst on that warrior then he blooms him and cc druid and switch to other target"

"Oh there is holy paladin? when we land one full cc on him we go ham"

"Oh there is rshaman? Wanna kill him? Lets train him for whole game, if our healer needs help lets peel"

"Oh there is dpriest? Lets wait that spirit shell then force him play defensie whole game so he cannot fear our whole team!"

I could talk alot about healers but those are the quicknotes how to counter them.

Is there is anything you wanna ask, just ask. People in here usually give good answers.

It also helps if you tell what class you play so we can help you that way.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Rolling FOTM classes.

Would be fun to see that transmog on belf male, no offend.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
1. Do random bgs with people you know/random bgs
2. Start doing arenas from scratch
3. Duels
4. Watch streams/videos/guides
5. Other, what?

Duels, always.

BGs - there's too much going on. You can get zerged by 4 guys, or be bashing on some dude 4 to 1. Nothing to learn there.
Arenas - see BGs
Streams - WoW is crap to watch, there's too much going on. You can't learn about 6 different classes at once watching an arena stream and if you don't know about all 6, then you can't understand why they do what they do.

In duels, you are forced to consider why you die, and therefore how the enemy class functions. Nothing makes you learn more about the enemy class than duelling it (well, except playing it yourself but we don't all have 10 level 90s).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Play the game

Get better at it

Is this not obvious for everything in life? Do something to get better at it? Pretty pointless thread

What an embarrassing response. Of course he's playing the game; he asked which parts of it will improve his skills the fastest. You must be as blind as your avatar.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Spam arenas with friends so you don't get yelled at. After every game, think what you could've done better.

Watching streams also helps out a lot because you can see new tricks that people might have figured out that you don't know of.

Also reading guides can help out quite a bit no matter what class the guide is (obviously your own class guide helps the most) because that way you learn what other classes can do.

Playing other classes altogether can help you out a ton in learning what every class can do in arena and how it can be countered.
Edited by Ripglenn on 24/06/2013 09:42 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Cheese it
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Spam arenas with friends so you don't get yelled at. After every game, think what you could've done better.

Pretty much this. What you could do also, is take note every fight, what comp you faced, at what rating, and if you won or loss, and you can eventually see what comps and classes gives you the hardest time, and then go from there.

Remember, you can't win EVERY single fight. I've played arena games near perfection, and in some cases ended up loosing, simply because the other team was a counter to the team I was running at the time.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
After every fight, think about how the fight went, what did you do well, what did you do bad, and what can you do better.

Don't do this instead you should do meanwhile you are playing arenas. If you want to get better at like map-control, join 2vs2 and play meanwhile think of what other people are doing and don't care about winning/losing
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]