Declining quality of wow armour sets...

90 Blood Elf Paladin
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/november/s11_paladin_female.jpg
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/september/season11_paladin_male.jpg

The elite re-colours (top ones) of this set are quite possibly the best in this game.

why does a paladin have a horn sticking out of his helm. its not even like its a "knight" style horn.

Blizz have always had funny ideas about what a paladin is and with the possible exception of Uther is why they've been messed around so much..

anyway..i'm a belf..i make everything look good..:)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
It's been in a decline for a long time. The peak universally was Tier 3, then TBC had many good sets but after that they are far and few between.

The individual taste is a cheap excuse. Beautiful women are beautiful in most peoples eyes, some might disagree. But generally people agree on what is good looking (beautiful women or good looking armor sets)

Excellent point!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I cant agree with you OP, some classes like Paladin or Shamans has really nice sets since Cata (Shaman T12, T13 and T14, Paladin T11 and T14..)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I am guessing you are a cata baby or from the Xbox generation of gamers, as all you seem to have done is wh0re achievements, instead of actually enjoying content. You probably have no idea what this game was like in the early days.

Thats just rude as hell

Also starting topic with "i am playing since vanilla" is kinda mark of facepalm, especially in the sense u put it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
It is just down to personal opinion really, I mean my favorite warlock set is t14, the cm set is also nice and these are some of the newer sets.

However, I do think some of the other newer sets seem a little lame. Think it is just because armor sets have the same model, eventually it is just going to get a little bit "similar" - warlock t12 and t15 for example.

In mop they added visual belt buckles as a new feature which is cool, but I think they need more emphasis on the chest, legs gloves etc. Most of the effort seems to be in the shoulders and helm. I would love to see some robes that splayed out for example - much like what is seen in Kel'thuzad.

Shoulders are cool but they do seem unusual in the sense that npcs seem to lack them. They seem to impede your actions rather than offer protection. Maybe work on some small shoulder items or those that merge in the chest/glove pieces. I think they just need to alter armor sets rather than reuse the same general model.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I have to agree that it comes down to personal taste. Some of the old sets looks terrible, some of the new sets looks awesome, and the other way around.

The only thing that annoys me in the last 2-3 expansions is that the tier model is used for non tier items as well. It removes all of the uniqueness of having a tier piece. You should be able to SEE that someone is using a tier item. As far as I can remember, only the tier pieces themselves were using the model for tier in classic and TBC, and even in Naxx/OS/EoE raids. It was in ulduar I can first remember non tier pieces were using tier model, and it made me a sad panda (dwarf at the time).
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I kind of agree with OP, Vanilla and TBC have way more awesome lookin sets and weapons, WotLK have quite few aswell. I dont like most of Cata, and pretty much hate all Pandas.
I disagree with Blue sorry, there is a reason why more people use Vanilla / TBC Trans.

I see few problems with new sets and weapons especially in Cata/Pandas

1. textures somehow ended up looking like everything is made of stone both weapons and armors.
2. many armor sets have scales and chainmail parts which are really poorly made.
3. 2h swords, maces, axes are often too small
4. 2h maces and axes have their handle too short or/and are held too close to the head.
5. poor item colorization makes many sets ugly. Deep proper colors are often better than washed.
6. most helms doesnt fit well, especially rear side is too short.
7. maybe they try too hard, some sets are ridiculous, sometimes simple is better. Gief me proper Katanas! plx!
Edited by Agrías on 03/07/2013 12:29 BST
Reply Quote
I'd agree that the looks of tier armour sets have not interested me much since TBC. As with many topics that harken back to this age, I have to admit I'm slightly nostalgic to those years, so you could call me slightly biased.

I actually think transmogrification is part of the problem. Now that anyone can wear pretty much everything visually, the visual distinction between the (heroic) raider who is "whoooahh amazing" and the noob who is "meh" has mostly disappeared. Adding to that fact is the possibility for an LFR raider to obtain the same set, albeit with a different colour, and look roughly the same as a heroic current content raider. This simply devalues my connection the "epicness" of the tier armor.

This "epicness" and being able to stand out and show the world that you worked hard for your raiding gear is indeed something I dearly miss. I remember the feeling of seeing a mage in Orgrimmar running around with the Netherwind set, and specifically the shoulders, and me shouting to the gods: " I WANT THAT". In a way, this might have motivated me to raid at a higher level, up my game and generally have somewhat of a longterm goal in the game; a feeling that in my opinion might be hard to obtain for new players nowadays.

In a sense, the armour of MoP with its pretty bland colour schemes and non-standout features is somewhat of a letdown for me this expansion, but hey, that's just my view on whats beautiful and whats not. I'd love to see more over the top, bright colours like the tier 2 - tier 6 sets combined with some cool features like the TBC warlocks sets. And who knows, maybe the next expansion will give the developers more reasons to bring out these colour schemes again. I just know to myself, that I won't get the feeling anymore of "I WANT THAT" simply because having that armour does not bring it's glory and fame with it anymore.

Maybe were passed that stage of the game, and maybe it's somewhat impossible to bring back because realms aren't the closed off communities anymore where everyone has a reputation to uphold. I'd just love to show the world my progress in the game with not only my inspect window, but also my looks. Heck, why do you think I wear CM armor?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Can you people please stop making stuff up? A lot of players prefer the newer sets. Not everyone mogs to wotlk or older. If anything, sets should be LESS flashy, not more. We need gear that is ornamental but doesn't depend on xmas lights to impress.
That said, some of the newer designs are absolutely fantastical and put to shame a lot of the older gear that doesn't have much going for it aside from being iconic.
Reply Quote
5 Pandaren Shaman
You know what I'm bored of? Carcasses. Each PvE expansion and PvP season Hunters get armour with dead animals sewn on to them. The exceptions are few and far between. Heads, paws, antlers, horns, pelts... Enough.

Is it really hard to imagine anything else that would symbolize the class? As Hunters our trademark tricks include not only ranged weapons and traps but the iconic companion at our side. Why would I want to symbolize my love for the various beasts I tame with gear that looks like a taxidermy project gone wrong and probably smells like the inside of a slaughterhouse?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I'd love to see data from Blizzard as to what most people in the game choose to transmog into. I personally love most of the tbc gear and I tend to notice it much more than other sets in the city's, but maybe I notice it more just because I like it more and it might not be as common as I think to transmog into it. I don't buy into the argument that blizzard don't care about it or use 'lesser' artists as firstly blizzard is probably one of the most sought after company's in the gaming world to work at, they would have no reason to employ anyone less than great, and secondly I don't think making a lame set would take any less time than something amazing as the bulk of the work would be animating it onto all the different player models, not the actual art work.

TLDR : I'm sure blizzard still care very much about armour sets, and do Blizzard track transmog trending in the game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Can you people please stop making stuff up? A lot of players prefer the newer sets. Not everyone mogs to wotlk or older. If anything, sets should be LESS flashy, not more. We need gear that is ornamental but doesn't depend on xmas lights to impress.
That said, some of the newer designs are absolutely fantastical and put to shame a lot of the older gear that doesn't have much going for it aside from being iconic.

As someone wanting flash, bling bling bling and colored christmas lights I can only say that I'm glad someone likes the new stuff =) I wont say I hate it, ofc not. I just find it... booooriiiiing!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Watch the pre-Pandaria Blizzcon art panel. The armor set designer makes a short presentation there:

http://youtu.be/3aCW_LswCfo?t=4m45s

It's funny and intelligent.

There are a lot of recent sets and items that I like. I think cloth tunic options are too limited (they don't have to be tier pieces), although there's a pretty nice selection of tunics from classic wow (pre-60 greens).
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk

As someone wanting flash, bling bling bling and colored christmas lights I can only say that I'm glad someone likes the new stuff =) I wont say I hate it, ofc not. I just find it... booooriiiiing!!!

How can you dislike new stuff then ? I mean if you want shiny gear with flash christmas thingy on it then MoP gear is for you. A lot of MoP sets have additional animation coming with the T16 and next PvP season (add CM's gear to the list and you're good). Just look at the Warrior T16: it's a beautiful set, fits the class but they added some traffic light stuff on it.
Reply Quote
Community
"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"...

/off-topic: Nice :-)

/on-topic:

And this. All the armor use "faded" color schemes. I miss it when the red was RED and the gold was GOLD, not red-ish and gold-ish after lying in the sun and dust for several decades. The armor just doesn't pop anymore.

Truly colourful gear that really pop can be very cool indeed, the problem with this though is when characters have a mismatch of different colourful armor sets equipped. We received quite a lot of negative feedback back in the day during TBC about "clown gear" making characters look silly, and there were a lot of requests for more toned down armor sets that would allow for better looks when mixing and matching pieces between different sets.

As you can imagine, it is a rather big artistic challenge to find a good balance that will allow for both colourful and unique looking armor sets that will not look out of place when mixed with other gear :-)
Edited by Vaneras on 03/07/2013 12:50 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
MM
03/07/2013 12:31Posted by Zarinn
I'd love to see data from Blizzard as to what most people in the game choose to transmog into.

I'd like that too!

The genius of transmogging is that it gives players a lot of control over their looks, while at the same time using ressources already in game.

I wonder who invented it - pure genius imo.
Edited by Whitepaw on 03/07/2013 12:57 BST
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
This is my own opinion.
From a warlocks perspective I can tell you that my biggest issue is that those new sets don't feel like they should belong to warlocks. Tiers loose their class identity and its getting worse and worse. If you look at previous tiers you had:

tier1 and 2 - both great sets, when you see them you immidiately know that they belong to a warlock, these are iconic, although a little bit cartoony by todays standards, but I still love them

tier 3 - going to talk about it at tier 7

tier 4, 5 and 6 - each one of them is great, definitely warlock themed, 2 of those sets have extra features - tier 4 has this dark vortex and tier 6 wings that pop out, tier 5 has none of that but is still really badass, I LOVE all of the TBC warlock tiers

tier 7 - is ok, never been among my favourites tho

tier 8 - it's great, one of the coolest warlock tiers

This is where it starts going downhill

tier 9 - that whole tier was a joke for any class

tier 10 - a really cool looking set, but it doesn't feel like it should belong to a warlock, it's more of a necromancer or death cultist set

tier 11 - a good set, actualy well fitting the warlock class

tier 12 - what makes it a warlock set? you could give it to a mage and it would fit them just as well

tier 13 - an ok set, but its old god themed, old gods dont seem to have much to do with warlocks right?

tier 14 - sha themed, why is it a warlock set again?

tier 15 - it's just bland, the gloves, robe and shoulders do not seem unique in any way,
look at both warlock and mage tier 15 sets, what makes the warlock set warlock and the mage set mage?
Warlocks don't have much to do with pandaria anyways, I don't understand the designers need to theme the classes sets by the continent (chinese style)

To recap my opinions: tiers 1,2,4,5,6,8 and 11 look like something that would belong to a warlock, everything else doesnt. Since tier 11, the first tier of cata, we haven't had a 'warlock' tier.
Edited by Hïdeyoshi on 03/07/2013 12:59 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

Truly colourful gear that really pop can be very cool indeed, the problem with this though is when characters have [url="http://i.imgur.com/ab5Zh5w.jpg"]a mismatch of different colourful armor sets equipped[/url]. We received quite a lot of negative feedback back in the day during TBC about "clown gear" making characters look silly, and there were a lot of requests for more toned down armor sets that would allow for better looks when mixing and matching pieces between different sets.

As you can imagine, it is a rather big artistic challenge to find a good balance that will allow for both colourful and unique looking armor sets that will not look out of place when mixed with other gear :-)

In tbc we coudn't transmog, now we can so the issue of matching new cool colorful tiers with missmatching offset pieces is way less of a problem. I do just like'd sets that pop. Firelands paladin gear was the last set i really enjoyed, why? Because it stood out in both design and color.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]