Declining quality of wow armour sets...

90 Orc Monk
One thing I've noticed since vanilla.

The sets are becoming MORE MORE MORE.

MORE BULK.

MORE SPIKES.

MORE DETAILS.

http://www.mediacircus.net/gladiator______4.jpg

Is that not a warrior? I sure think so, but you'd never see anything like that in wow unless it's a faction NPC.

I would like to see a scaled back, Less Is More approach for one tier, just capture the essence of the class but without all the bells and whistles that have become the culture in Blizzard's tier emour design.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
what op was meant to say was

MOAR GLOWING ARMOR SETS
MOAR FIRE ETC

MOAR TBC LIKE !@#$ IN GENERAL!
Edited by Anterior on 03/07/2013 20:44 BST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Especially the shading (or illusion thereof) has really declined in quality, making the texture seem a lot more 2d than during late BC/wotlk/early Cata. There are still interesting designs, but I often find myself forgoing newer sets because they just look more plastered on like a 2d texture, or how to explain it.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I really like the the armor of this expansion, they sort of have more layers of material and more detail to them.

Two thumbs up blizzard!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/07/2013 10:32Posted by Vaneras
I think it comes down to personal taste

I think you are right, and since taste is one of those things that are in the eye of the beholder, this is a topic that is virtually impossible to discuss objectively :-)

That being said, I still think this is an interesting discussion and I am personally hoping to see more posts from you guys about what you particularly like or dislike about any given armor set and why.

Create forced in game polls and you'd have the result. There is a clear decline in armor sets. Monk armors could've been awesome looking, but they all look like something carved out of a rock with a pickaxe.

The majority agrees with the OP, wether you think it's a personal opinion or not.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
WTB more bright coloured pieces (reds, yellows, light blues, greens, pinks etc).
Don't care too much for sets so long as I can mix and match and make pretty transmogs.

I must have about 12 complete sets on my paladin, 4 beautiful sets on my monk, and around 7 on my mage. With oodles more ideas on mogit.

^~^
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
03/07/2013 20:31Posted by Maybella
I tend to be lured in by stupid korean games cause they look so awesome and shiny and flashy and I just soo want their clothes!! Unfortunately the games are boring as hell.. after creating your toons (which ofc you can kill a lot of time doing) there's not really any more to do..

I want Aion's char creator here plus outfits as well :)

In that game i find much to do tho... That is until it got f2p and they took away my lovely account wide pets and armor sets i bought and saved in my account management :(
Reply Quote
03/07/2013 12:50Posted by Vaneras
[url="http://i.imgur.com/9rDaNPU.gif"]"Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man"[/url]...

/off-topic: [url="http://i.imgur.com/Sid6Q4f.jpg"]Nice :-)[/url]

/on-topic:

And this. All the armor use "faded" color schemes. I miss it when the red was RED and the gold was GOLD, not red-ish and gold-ish after lying in the sun and dust for several decades. The armor just doesn't pop anymore.

Truly colourful gear that really pop can be very cool indeed, the problem with this though is when characters have [url="http://i.imgur.com/ab5Zh5w.jpg"]a mismatch of different colourful armor sets equipped[/url]. We received quite a lot of negative feedback back in the day during TBC about "clown gear" making characters look silly, and there were a lot of requests for more toned down armor sets that would allow for better looks when mixing and matching pieces between different sets.

As you can imagine, it is a rather big artistic challenge to find a good balance that will allow for both colourful and unique looking armor sets that will not look out of place when mixed with other gear :-)

what a pathetic cop out reply, isn't there transmog for those type of things?

Also, i am aware i do not know the official statistics of the gear that ppl transmog but I am 100% positive that majority of transmog is from Vanilla and TBC.

You wouldn't even dare try and lie to prove me wrong so tell the creators to make more camp, fancy gear!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For me Icecrown citadel has some of the greatest designed gear avilable. There is a reason why my 5 characters all use the ICC transmog.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
Just saw Mage season 14 PVP set. My god it's awful! The last thing that suits mages is green color. And then there are these huge rocks on the shoulders, a metal noose over the neck and a steel mask covering the face. It looks like some torture device from Saw. I'm afraid the Mage on the picture might die any minute now!

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/july/season14_mage_male.jpg

It's bulky, with boring colors and green (!) animation. Also highlights are green. The only version with non-green highlights has a dirty-green main palette! My god, this set is as bad as rusty Tol Barad-inspired A11, The only thing that's decent about this new set is sleeves on the blue-white one, however I'd rather there were no horizontal lines on them (stitches? buttons?).

The final season of an expansion and that's what's in store? I'm really disappointed, truly a decline.
Edited by Найтмус on 04/07/2013 01:20 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
So, looking at the upcoming tier sets, I'm forced to ask. Who at Blizzard is a fan of the 80's soap opera Dynasty? It's the only other place I can recall shoulder pads as big as the ones that are finding their way into the game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
True !

Armor sets start to rely on stupid details and spikes. No creativity at all, Sets stopped having the scent of class after wotlk. Bring back iconic sets! i understand it is challenging work but as developers its your obligation to create a set worth looking at it. cuz atm i spit on all your primitive texture based flashy spiky stupid looking gear.

i play dk so i speak of dk. make their sets dark, not warlock dark tho. make em dark death knight wise. keep in mind icc and starting dk gear.

So yea.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Death Knight
04/07/2013 01:55Posted by Oovoxo
i play dk so i speak of dk. make their sets dark, not warlock dark tho. make em dark death knight wise. keep in mind icc and starting dk gear.

How about Koltira set? That looks pretty good at least to me :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
03/07/2013 10:32Posted by Vaneras
I think it comes down to personal taste

I think you are right, and since taste is one of those things that are in the eye of the beholder, this is a topic that is virtually impossible to discuss objectively :-)

That being said, I still think this is an interesting discussion and I am personally hoping to see more posts from you guys about what you particularly like or dislike about any given armor set and why.

No, you have definately become lazy. Look at the lvl 60 pvp sets, you could clearly tell the difference between the alliance and the horde, it was awesome.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
agree
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Truly colourful gear that really pop can be very cool indeed, the problem with this though is when characters have a mismatch of different colourful armor sets equipped. We received quite a lot of negative feedback back in the day during TBC about "clown gear" making characters look silly, and there were a lot of requests for more toned down armor sets that would allow for better looks when mixing and matching pieces between different sets.

Now it's from one extreme to another. It's great that the sets finally match to make a set, but the colours used are dull. There's a large use of the dark colours, like brown or burgundy. Sure the occasional green or blue are used on sets, but they're not a majority.

Also what happened to the fantasy in the armour? I look at sets and see rope holding them together, with more rope to tighten a hood, or rope to make it look pretty. It might be seen as detail but surely there's more to detail than creating the look of holding items together. Of course all of this is my personal taste, but it's what I've noticed recently.

Dyes would be an awesome addition too!

It would've been a good idea to give an option of Challenge Mode set colours, like:
  • http://www.themonkofpandaria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/challenge_monkm.jpg
  • (Green one I like the most, I think it suits a Mistweaver :D)
    Since different coloured versions were created, why not use them? Surely there's no reason why you can't offer more than one colour.
    Edited by Shensei on 04/07/2013 03:15 BST
    Reply Quote
    90 Tauren Paladin
    The current mindset i've seen at Blizzard, ever since The first Season 1 gear is "add more horns and spikes and its ok"

And it really needs to stop - i understand that its not an easy job, but thats why they have experts and stuff. Ive seen countless fan made art of amazing sets, something some random person drew on a napkin while eating (not really but you get the picture - not professionaly)

So anyway, more imaginative and more class oriented.

To many sets atm dont look like they belong to that class, most of all imo is Paladins - and has been the case for a while.

i suggested this about 12 months ago, when a thread like this came up.

the suggestion was basically if the players themselves are designing gear. then why not make it into a competition.

couple rules

you have to play wow.

you have to have an active subscritption.

prizes could range from what.

specific mounts ?

to subs being paid for for say 6 months.

or a new monitor/computer.

could do for each class.

point being there are some awesome artistic people out there. utilise them. they play the class they so love. and that fondness shows through in some of the work they do.

at least some of the gear designed would look cool.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    MM
    04/07/2013 06:17Posted by Andith
    the suggestion was basically if the players themselves are designing gear. then why not make it into a competition.

"When it's amateur night, I want a hundred thousand up front".

No thank you.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Warlock

Gladly
    As you can see from my set I too am on the Vanilla/TBC bandwagon. I think warlock T1, 2 and 4 are the best looking sets In the game, bar none.

Tier 15 thousand hells: Hmmmm, Chinese demon. The first part sums up the core of the problem, which I'll get to later. The Chinese art style for demons is too far from the art style of wow for demons for this to work. nice idea though.
    Tier 14 sha skin: I....um....what?... Since when do we wear the skin of our foes? Has nothing to do with warlocks
    tier 13 faceless shroud: Squidward armour... really?
    tier 12 balespider: Spiderwoman... really?
    tier 11 shadowflame: Rags with lopsided horns, not really warlocky and generally looks awful
    tier 10 dark coven: Granted, this looks pretty good, the blue colour scheme was out of place though
    tier 9 gul'dans regalia: Some chaotic energies around the shoulders but otherwise meh...
    tier 8 deathbringer garb: Is the armour a copy and paste from Putress or is he a copy and paste from us?
    tier 7 valorous plagueheart: Recolour of t3 (see T3)
    tier 6 malefic: Wings are cool, looks locky, but too... Tutti frutti for my taste
    Tier 4 Voidheart: Awesomeness made manifest, looks like a Voidwalker, the coolest looking demon, void spell effect with lightning, generally purple and black, 100% warlocky, what's not to love?
    Tier 3: The yellow is massively out of place, yellow is not a warlock colour, when combined with flames then yes, like on the malefic wings or as trim like on felheart, but not as the base colour for an armour. As for the look of the armour... I dunno, I'm not sure what the designer was aiming for with this, and until I do it doesn't really make sense
    tier 2 nemesis: Fel infused skull, horns, generally purples and blacks,very warlocky, again whats not to love?
    tier 1 felheart: Horns, reds purples and greens, spiky, again, little bit too colourful, but otherwise warlocky and generally very nice

I see what you've tried to do with the tier sets after burning crusade which seems to be mainly matching them to the current art style of the current tier, which sounds great on paper, but in practice it just doesn't work, your limited too much. look at warlock tier 1,2 and 4. the only ways these related to there tiers was the the nemesis skulls may have come from the dragons that they dropped from, but this is a long shot, the look more like snakes then dragons.

I think i read a blue post that said they wanted armour to look more subdued or some word like that. This is all well and good, but not for warlocks. Warlocks deal with vast, unimaginable amounts of power and entities that with the slightest wrong move could obliterate us mind, body and soul. Due to the distrust of demons and other things warlocky, we are feared and spurned. Warlocks are not people who stand in the background and try to look inconspicuous, there at the foreground, making sure everyone sees them summoning demigod like demons, hurling fireballs that would make a dragon jealous and pulling meteors from space onto there enemies that then come to life and being laying waste to the opposition. Like themselves, warlock armour should scream: LOOK AT ME, HERE I AM, FEAR ME! Tier 1,2,4 and maybe 10 achived this, the others not so much.
    Reply Quote
    Community
    Also, i am aware i do not know the official statistics of the gear that ppl transmog but I am 100% positive that majority of transmog is from Vanilla and TBC.

You wouldn't even dare try and lie to prove me wrong so tell the creators to make more camp, fancy gear!!!!!

Vanilla and TBC armor sets are very popular transmog items, and for good reason as many of those sets are iconic and classic Warcraft. On top of that there are also quite a few old-school players who have good memories associated with these sets, so there are definitely more to the attractiveness of them than just the art and design :-)

Additionally, it is much easier to get the complete classic sets today than it was back when they were high end gear, and this also has an influence on their popularity today because many are finally completing their armor sets that some have been trying to collect for years. Back in the day, if you were not one of the few players who were able to get the complete armor sets and only had a couple of pieces, you often had other pieces equipped that didn't match artistically, which for many resulted in the aforementioned "clown look". This mismatched look issue is much less apparent today as most of the newer sets are more easily matched with pieces from different sets.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]