[Guide] Simple Gear for New Players

90 Human Hunter
*As I say in the guide, and will say again, this is a VERY basic guide for new players to know what kind of gear they should need in dungeons to not cause upset to other players. IT IS IN NO WAY AN IN-DEPTH HOW TO PLAY YOUR CLASS AND OPTIMISE IT GUIDE. If you want that then go to icy-viens.com.*

Yet another new player thread from me! This is going to be a basic breakdown of class roles/specs and stats. This is aimed at new players while levelling. This is most definitely not an end-game guide. If you are looking for an end game guide for PvE (raids/dungeons etc.) then I would suggest icy-veins.com. I also won't be going into detail of talents to pick. Once again, that can be found on icy-veins and this isn't an in-depth guide.

Also you don’t have to stick to these stats 100% while levelling a tank with gear with crit on it isn’t bad. This is mainly aimed for new players to not need on the wrong gear in dungeons, and end up upsetting some players.

*Note about all specs and classes. When you reach level 80+, mastery is another stat you will be using. To save me from writing this on every one I’ll just put it here.*

I’ll out the classes in alphabetical order to make it easier for people to find their class.

Death Knight (not available until you have levelled a character to 55)
You’ll want to use plate gear as a DK. If you are Blood or Unholy you will want to use a 2handed weapon. If you are frost you can use either a 2h or duel 1h weapons.

Blood: Tanking. Stamina, strength, dodge, parry.
Frost: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Unholy: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.

Druid
As a druid you’ll want to be using leather gear. As restoration and balance you can use cloth gear but it’s not ideal. As a Guardian/Feral druid you will want to use a polearm or staff with agility. As Balance/Restoration you will want to use a staff or 1h with offhand (OH) with intellect.

Guardian: Tank. Agility, stamina, doge, parry.
Feral: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Balance: DPS. Intellect, hit, crit, haste.
Restoration: Healer. Intellect, spirit, crit, haste.

Hunter
As a hunter you will be using leather gear until level 40. At level 40 you’ll want to use mail gear. Hunters use bows, crossbows and guns.

Survival/Marksmanship/Beast Mastery: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.

Mage
As a mage you can only use cloth gear. You’ll want to use either a staff or a 1h with OH with intellect on it.

Fire/Frost/Arcane:DPS. Intellect, hit, crit, haste.

Monk
As a monk you will want to use leather gear. As a Mistweaver you can get away with using cloth gear with intellect on it, but it’s not ideal.

Brewmaster: Tank. Agility, stamina, dodge,parry.
Windwalker: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Mistweaver: Healer. Intellect, spirit, crit, haste.

Paladin
As a paladin you will want to use mail gear until level 40. At level 40 you will want to use plate gear. As protection you will use a 1h and shield. As retribution you will use a 2h mace/sword/axe. As Holy you will with a 1h and shield or OH with intellect.

Protection: Tank. Strength, stamina, dodge,parry.
Retribution: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Holy: Healer. Intellect, spirit, crit, haste.

Priest
As a priest you can only use cloth gear. You will be using a 2h staff or 1h and OH with intellect.

Shadow: DPS. Intellect, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Discipline: Healer. Intellect, spirit, crit, haste.
Holy: Healer. Intellect, spirit, crit, haste.

Rogue
As a rogue you will want to use leather gear with 1H swords and daggers.

Assassination/Combat/Subtlety: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.

Shaman
As a shaman you will want to use leather gear until level 40, after level 40 you will want to use mail. As restoration or elemental you can get away with using cloth with intellect on it, but it’s not ideal.

Enhancement: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Elemental: DPS. Intellect, hit, crit, haste.

Warlock
As a warlock you can only use cloth gear. You will want to use a 2h staff or 1h with Oh with intellect on it.

Affliction/Demonology/Destruction: DPS. Intellect, hit, crit, haste.

Warrior
As a warrior you will be using mail gear up until level 40, then switch to plate gear. As protection you will use a 1H and shield. As arms you will use a 2H sword/mace/axe. As fury you will use duel 1H swords/maces/axes or (when you gain the ability “titan’s grip”) duel 2H swords/maces/axes.

Arms: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Fury: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.

I hope this helps new players in Looking For Dungeon (LFD) know their roles and what gear they should be needing on, and what they shouldn’t, to make their levelling experience more enjoyable!

Happy levelling! xx
Edited by Tradition on 04/07/2013 10:26 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Good start :) I'm going to add comments on the classes I know something about, and add a couple of 'advanced' notes at the end ^^

Druid
As a druid you’ll want to be using leather gear. As restoration and balance you can use cloth gear but it’s not ideal. As a Guardian/Feral druid you will want to use a polearm or staff with agility. As Balance/Restoration you will want to use a staff or 1h with offhand (OH) with intellect.

Guardian: Tank. Agility, stamina, doge, parry.
Feral: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Balance: DPS. Intellect, hit, crit, haste.

Parry is relatively useless for a Guardian; stamina, crit and dodge are more useful. They also want hit and expertise just like the other physical DPS. Guardian and Feral druids can also wield 2-handed agility maces in addition to staves and polearms. As druids cannot dual-wield weapons, if you are a guardian or feral, do not need on one-handed agility weapons.

Rogue
As a rogue you will want to use leather gear with 1H swords and daggers.

Assassination/Combat/Subtlety: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.

Assassination rogues will want daggers only (some of their core abilities just don't work without daggers equipped). Combat rogues can use swords, daggers, maces, fist weapons. I do not know about subtlety rogues, I don't play one :)

Shaman
As a shaman you will want to use leather gear until level 40, after level 40 you will want to use mail. As restoration or elemental you can get away with using cloth with intellect on it, but it’s not ideal.

Enhancement: DPS. Agility, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Elemental: DPS. Intellect, hit, crit, haste.

Enhancement shamans classically dual-wield 1-h agility weapons (dagger, mace, fist weapon), but I believe they can use staffs as well.

Elemental and restoration shamans can use staves OR a 1-h plus intellect offhand/shield.

Warrior
As a warrior you will be using mail gear up until level 40, then switch to plate gear. As protection you will use a 1H and shield. As arms you will use a 2H sword/mace/axe. As fury you will use duel 1H swords/maces/axes or (when you gain the ability “titan’s grip”) duel 2H swords/maces/axes.

Arms: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.
Fury: DPS. Strength, hit, expertise, crit, haste.

I believe that arms warriors can also use strength polearms.

--

Advanced note #1:
Choosing between two one-handed objects, or one two-handed object? Add the stats up.
For example, if I'm playing an elemental shaman, and I've got a +5 intellect mace and a +4 intellect shield equipped. A +8 intellect staff drops. I don't want it, because 5+4 = 9 (which is bigger than 8).

And then a +10 intellect staff drops. I do want that one (10 > 9).

I'm going to hang onto that mace and shield in my bags though, just in case something else drops... and yay, it does! A +6 intellect offhand! I will re-equip that mace and use the offhand with it.

(similar math applies for strength and agility classes, but with strength or agility rather than intellect :P).

If you are choosing between two objects with same/very close main stats, look at the secondary stats. A +10 intellect staff with haste on it is better than 10 intellect staff with crit on it *if you are an elemental shaman*. This is where the "stats priority" list in icy-veins can be useful to lower level characters. Though really, it doesn't matter all that much during levelling, and I wouldn't pay that much attention to it until your mid-80s (and certainly once you're starting end-game content).

Advanced note #2: Intellect DPS and being nice to healers.
The list above shows all intellect DPS (balance druids, elem shamans, shadow priests, mages, and so on) needing hit. This is very true.

However, if you are playing a class that *could* also heal (e.g., druids, shamans, priests, but NOT mages or warlocks), you can use spirit in the place of hit.

IF you are the only person in that dungeon that could use that piece of gear, you can go ahead and need on it if it's an upgrade (e.g., you're an elemental shaman, a piece of intel/spirit mail drops, and there are no other shamans in the dungeon). HOWEVER, if you could use a piece of gear (say, a ring - so not class specific - or there's both a resto and an elemental shaman in the dungeon), and it's got spirit on it, and it's an upgrade... it's polite to ask your healer if he needs it first. DPS can use spirit instead of hit, but healers cannot use hit instead of spirit, and spirit is what keeps them from going out of mana while healing, so it's nice to let the healer have it if they want it. They may say to go ahead and roll need and it'll be up to RNG to decide, or they may say they need it, in which case it's polite to not need it as well.

But those classes that can't heal at all should never need on spirit-bearing items. It's really not polite, and the spirit part is pretty much a complete waste for you (though I suppose if the intellect is a big upgrade, and your healer doesn't want it - ask first - you could take it).
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
As i said, this isn't an in-depth "how to play your class" guide. this is just to stop new players for rolling on the wrong gear and getting yelled at. As I said, if they want an in-depth guide on how to actually play and what's their best stats and what isn't then they can go to websites such as icy-veins.com.

I kept it very basic, I know DPS casters can use spirit for hit, but in a lot of cases if a caster needs on spirit gear the healer crys. For a new player when they are leveling they don't need to put up with all this rubbish.

If i really wanted to I could do an indepth-guide for every class as I know all of them by heart, but there really is no point drowning a newbie in that right now. They should wait till they are about level 85-90 and understand more about the game before they go hunting for optimising their character.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
And I wasn't trying to be in-depth either :)

But, for example, I don't think I've ever seen intel/hit mail - so if following your guid exactly, that elemental shaman would be waiting a long time before they could need on any clothes that is good for their class and spec (er, my primary alt is a shaman, could you tell? :P); dunno about intel leather, but I'm under the impression that it's the same. So if you are an elemental shaman, and the healer is not a shaman, go ahead and need on intel mail, with spirit. Or if you're a balance druid and your healer is not a druid or a monk (or a shaman <40), need on that intel leather. However, if you're DPS and intel/spirit rings/trinkets/necks/weapons/offhands drop - your healer may need them more than you. You can take the intel/hit versions of those since those are relatively useless to healers :)

I also added comments about weapons that you'd missed (e.g., no shaman weapons listed at all, clarification on rogues, clarification on agility druids, etc).

And I know I spent a lot of time being confused about one-hand vs two-hand weapons on those classes that could use both for a really long time, which is why I added that in (I recently logged into my first shaman, a long-abandoned project... and she was wearing a single one-hand weapon, no offhand, with a slightly better staff sitting in her bags - probably because at the time I thought shamans had to have a one-hand plus a shield, and if there was no shield, well, a one-hand is what they're "supposed" to use). And when I'd tried to ask BF (who is who got me into this game) how to choose whether one-hands or two-hand weapons, he was supremely unhelpful - I don't think he actually understood the question I was asking cos it's so intuitive to him at this point XD
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
90 Human Priest
Good start :) I'm going to add comments on the classes I know something about, and add a couple of 'advanced' notes at the end ^^

If you want to write a couple of more in-depth, class specific, beginner guides for the classes that you know about I'm sure nobody would mind :D

Edit: Actually, just post them in the class specific forums and let me know the links :) Unless you do a combined guide, in which case newcomers would be suitable.
Edited by Lumatar on 03/07/2013 12:09 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Warlock isn't really correct.

We need haste and mastery as secondary stats after intellect.

Haste gives us more DoT ticks and mastery increases damage.
Edited by Dottie on 04/07/2013 02:28 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Warlock isn't really correct.

We need haste and mastery as secondary stats after intellect.

Haste gives us more DoT ticks and mastery increases damage.

The stats aren't put in any priority order, they are just primary stats first, followed by secondary stats.

As I've said multiple times now, even in bold, this isn't an indepth guide. If they want to know how to optimise their character than they can look as class guides. This is just to stop new players from needing on gear to which they don't need and therefore causing upset.

How many times must I repeat myself?! D:

Also you should perhaps read the little note with the * around them and in bold about the mastery. Or just read the whole thing in general first before posting something which has already been answered....
Edited by Tradition on 04/07/2013 10:27 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]