Rewards for being nice.

90 Human Death Knight
Hello everyone, i just want to start out with my native language is not english and i do also have dyslexia.

Okay. So i was thinking today when i played LFR, as normal i exptected alot of BM and being called !@#$ etc. Yes did this happend sadly.

Then i was thinking, maybe, if you have a system where you can "thumbs up" a person, like with the honor system in League of Legends. Then the system reads this and if the person reaches, let's say 100 thumbs up which gives him or her a badge and a title , the badge will show around his/her portrait or on another way. The title might be "Xíe the helpful" as . a example. If a new players sees the badge then (s)he understands "Oh look, a nice person that i can ask about the boss fight" The system can continue , if you get 1000 thumbs up , you gain a mount or a Feast of Strength. Etc, etc,

The point with this system is that maybe the community will get a bit more friendly and just all and all a nice place to be and play. :)

Also, i want to hear your opinion on this. Why and why not etc.

EDIT : We could skip all the rewards and just have the "badge", so a new player could see it and well, ask about the raid and maybe the game.

Thanks , Xíe
Edited by Xíe on 05/07/2013 12:28 BST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
Hi

I can smell truble for the system. Imagine trade chat.. wtb tumb up 2000 gold.

If it comes to player votes it may get kinda "currupt". If the computers makes the votes it may get unrelieable.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
The point with this system is that maybe the community will get a bit more friendly and just all and all a nice place to be and play. :)

whilst the notion is commendable, why not just be nice?
why want rewarding for behaviour most people think is normal?

also - no, wouldnt support a player *voting* system that affects my gameplay in a PAID game.
f2p, it works guess cos its free, but i pay subs to play my game, and other players should not impact that in any way that could be negative or give something extra.
yes, players can report each other already for bad behaviour, bu Blizzard are the ones that are paid to police the system, and they decide if theres action to be taken
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
SOD
How would the computer decide if a player enhances your playing experience, or totally ruins it.

I don't think this could be done by a computer.

Also, i think it is better, if it would be implemented, only people with good rating can rate other players. This way, only serious nice people can vote on your status.

And what happens if a player who has a good rating, becomes a dick. Then he has a good rating, but he has some issues IRL> In your idea is no downrating. This could ruin the complete system.

Also, if you implement a downrating system, people who envy the player with a good social rating, will misuse the system to get him down.

For my conclusion, I like the idea for rating players on their social skills. But i'm afraid that this system is fraught with problems. And thats's why I don't want to see it implemented the way you are describing.
Reply Quote
23 Gnome Warlock
It is a nice idea but I do not think it is truly workable or even worth the time to implement such a system.
It is with great sadness that I have say I agree with Nitka

If it comes to player votes it may get kinda "currupt". If the computers makes the votes it may get unrelieable.

sad but my experience of the WoW player base agrees with that.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I think it is a great idea. But it should be refined and thought thru from all sides to ensure misuse doesn't happen.
Like only ppl in LFR who were NOT in your group when you queued being able to vote for you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
The only way I can see this working is if it's done in the same way as the MVP program.
And that wouldn't work either, due to there not being enough Blizzard employees to read everything said in wow.
Of course, you could have a "nominate for nice player"-button, where you'd report someone for being nice, stating what that player helped you with, about when it was etc and why you think this player should get some kind of reward for being a helpful player. This would allow Blizzard to check the chatlogs and stuff, to see what's up. But that really wouldn't work either. Too much work for Blizzard.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
The only way I can see this working is if it's done in the same way as the MVP program.
And that wouldn't work either, due to there not being enough Blizzard employees to read everything said in wow.
Of course, you could have a "nominate for nice player"-button, where you'd report someone for being nice, stating what that player helped you with, about when it was etc and why you think this player should get some kind of reward for being a helpful player. This would allow Blizzard to check the chatlogs and stuff, to see what's up. But that really wouldn't work either. Too much work for Blizzard.

this kind of system i would support without a shadow of a doubt

we have report functions n game, but only for bad stuff, why not have something for good stuff, that is monitored and controlled by the people paid to do it.
the original idea though, still no.

although, once again, just be nice, why need rewarding for it lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd support this system wholeheartedly, problem is while GM's check "bad behaviour" reports, would they also check good behaviour reports so to decide they are valid? If it's not checked by Blizzard then no use for it, if we leave it only to players it will be 100% abused.

If Blizzard care about improving the community they should implement something like this. Better community can also improve subscription numbers after all.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Hold on a sec... You're saying it's normal for you personally to be insulted every time you go into an LFR? I mean, 90% of them have arguments, but I've only been involved in a handful myself.

Are you sure you're not doing something wrong? If you're tanking LFR and being insulted every time, it probably means you're not doing a great job tanking.

In terms of a thumbing up system, I think it would be abused for title !@#$%s. '/2 WTB Thumb up! 50G / rating!'
Reply Quote
Community
Hi

This is a real concern for sure.

I think it is a great idea. But it should be refined and thought thru from all sides to ensure misuse doesn't happen.
Like only ppl in LFR who were NOT in your group when you queued being able to vote for you.

Such a system would indeed have to be super refined to avoid abuse or exploitation - basically it should be impossible to game the system in any way, and that is no simple task.

Rules and restrictions like the one you suggest would definitely have to be thoroughly tested before they could even be considered for live implementation :-)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
would be nice, but then you'd really have to make it a report thing and "select" something in your chatframe as proof, then blizzard employees would have to verify it and add the thumb up

this would need the thumb down as well, though
then again, use the same system and use it as a replacement for the current "report bad behaviour" options. this makes that system better and works nicely along the thumbs up idea

maybe a simple; "rightclick text in chatframe > like/dislike" would work. this way you got both systems in 1 simple solution and it can easily be verified as the text it's refering too is right there.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
there already ARE rewards for being nice and they go beyond any price..some people will never know this joy..:p
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Hi

This is a real concern for sure.

Such a system would indeed have to be super refined to avoid abuse or exploitation - basically it should be impossible to game the system in any way, and that is no simple task.

Rules and restrictions like the one you suggest would definitely have to be thoroughly tested before they could even be considered for live implementation :-)

i think a simple slacker / afk flag system for LFR would work well, if your dps or healing drops below 70% of the group average you get flagged purple and the group can then choose to kick you if they so wish, maybe it could go black if you dropped below 50%
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I read the forums daily and this is the first time I've 'had' to reply.

Being nice is it's own reward in many ways, but when sooo many choose to be jerks, we nice people can respond.

Game designers who designed a game of the caliber or WoW with the intricacy of LFR, Personal Loot System , DF... (the list is endless) with some effort can come up with a system that is robust and minimizes 'gaming'.

Will it mean devoting some resources away from patch x? Yup. will it take time and effort? Yes but keeping us nice folks in the game is essential for the survival of a social experience that we pay for. I have faith in Blizzard wanting to do this for the right reasons. I know it needs done for survival / longevity / profit reasons.

Let's have one arena in life where being decent, friendly, helpful and nice is rewarded significantly. Positive reinforcement for behavior that makes subscribers want to be here and stay here
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
It shouldn't be that hard to implement. Just make it usable only in random groups and make it so that you can't give it to someone you queued with.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warrior
i cant believe you are even discussing this..you cant 'buy' nice..it saddens me so much to see how hollow and materialistic we've become that we no longer have any idea whats really important..:(
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Warrior
Implement this & prepare to be spammed with people pretending to be nice & then begging for thumbs.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
the "thumbs up" thing can work without the "WTB Thumbs up!" stuff going on, if there's no actual rewards
just that people can see your current "rating" i suppose
that might encourage new tanks (for example) in LFR to ask their Co-tank in wisper how a specific boss works
i think a lot of people are simply too scared to do this in the fear of being called a noob or in a worse case, being kicked
Edited by Xarick on 05/07/2013 11:44 BST
Reply Quote
3 Human Rogue
05/07/2013 07:56Posted by Tabori

whilst the notion is commendable, why not just be nice?
why want rewarding for behaviour most people think is normal?

also - no, wouldnt support a player *voting* system that affects my gameplay in a PAID game.
f2p, it works guess cos its free, but i pay subs to play my game, and other players should not impact that in any way that could be negative or give something extra.
yes, players can report each other already for bad behaviour, bu Blizzard are the ones that are paid to police the system, and they decide if theres action to be taken

The idea is to encourage good behaviour. Seems to me a vote system like this could do that. How would it affect your gameplay at all? And what has the fact you pay a sub got to do with anything?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]