Why did the Blood Elves join the Horde?

(Locked)

All I know about the Blood Elfs is that they're actually High Elfs, but because they were slaughtered by Arthas and the scourge in the 3rd war, they re-named themselves bloodelves, but why did they join the Horde?
90 Pandaren Shaman
The Forsaken helped them recover and defeat the Elf who betrayed them and allowed the Scourge to destroy Quel'Thelas. Meanwhile the Alliance had Garithos and infiltrated Quel'Thelas for information, so they looked bad. Sylvanas then fought to get the Blood Elves into the Horde, Thrall allowed them to get into the Horde. Just like the Forsaken it's an Alliance of Convenience, which is kind of why Lor'Themar was willing at all to enter negotiations with the Alliance.
90 Tauren Death Knight
Have you seen on what way the Humans acted against the Blood Elfs in WC3......

They where tired of being send to the frontline outnumbered (just to get killed) just to serve the humans. That is the number 1 reason why they left the Alliance and will never return.

The racists humans way toward other races when other races go against there will or question there motives. They will get either kicked or killed or abused by the humans therefor we only see human lore in WoW otherwise there will be an conflict all over again inside the Alliance when another race will go against the humans will/way.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
After the Purge of Dalaran there is no doubt the Blood Elves will ever EVEN think about rejoining the Alliance anymore. Not after that kind of treatment they reveived by Jaina and Vereesa and the Kirin Tor.

Indeed after that event, the bonds with the Horde (not Garrosh's one) may very well have been strenghtened (Lor'themar yelling "For the Horde" and " We are the Horde" on Isle of Thunder in 5.2 and the Blood Elves' partecipation during Siege of Orgrimmar. )

And i guess that there is still a tiny possibility Lor'themar could become the Warchief after all :P
Edited by Elsya on 04/07/2013 22:59 BST
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Kael'thas, the prince of the Blood Elves, was for a short period of time under the command of a man called Garithos. Long story short, Garithos gave Kael'thas assignments that he found downright impossible to complete -- especially considering the fact that Garithos removed most of his forces from his command and placed under his own -- and Kael'thas found himself forced to accept help from Naga. This infuriated Garithos, who was a racist as well as a prat, and he declared Kael'thas to be a traitor. The Elven prince and his followers were imprisoned in Dalaran, sentenced to be executed at dawn. They were only saved by the arrival of the Naga who broke them out of there. Kael'thas having little choice, followed the Naga and their leader, Lady Vashj, to Outland, and agreed to serve Illidan -- Vashj's master.

A couple of events on Outland take place but are of little relevance.

Meanwhile, Lor'themar Theron, who was placed as Regent Lord of Quel'thalas in the Prince's absence, was quite predictably in Quel'thalas, coping with the Scourge. After some time, Grand Magister Rommath and his magisters returned from Outland at the Prince's behest, to teach the Blood Elves a new way of coping with their magic addiction -- siphoning magic from living beings (as well as feeding off Fel, but this was kept secret from the general public). Rommath and his magisters, wielding their new powers, succeeded in retaking Silvermoon and rebuilt it in a day, and went on to reclaim half of Eversong Forest, bar the area now known as the Ghostlands.

That's when the player character comes in!

Soon after that, we find a Dwarven ambassador present in Quel'thalas. Through the course of several quests we discover that he isn't the only member of the Alliance present in the High Kingdom. There we Kaldorei spies (which we discovered by killing them) who were observing Arcane Sanctums -- of note, one that was malfunctioning, although it was stated that the spies are not responsible for it. Regardless, espionage is not a friendly thing to do and the Elves decided to take care of it. Violently. Thus, the ambassador was killed.

Later on, in the Ghostlands, the Alliance turns out to be far bolder. It turns out that the Kaldorei seek to set up scrying devices in Quel'thalas, which would allow them to spy on the Blood Elves. To this end they shipped an undisclosed number of troops (actual soldiers, mind), occupied not-insignificant portions of the Ghostlands, ley lines in particular, and created military bases/camps in Quel'thalas' territory. There's a word for that. It's "invasion". The Blood Elves were predictably less than amused and dealt with the offenders.

Meanwhile, the Forsaken, who were members of the Horde, sent actual aid to the Ghostlands and forces to help the Blood Elves deal with Dark'khan Drathir, an Elven traitor and commander of Scourge forces in the area. The leader of the Forsaken also just happened to be Sylvanas Windrunner, the former Ranger General of Quel'thalas who died in the realm's defence during Arthas' invasion. All in all, the Horde made a much, much better impression than the Alliance.

Lor'themar was not interested in joining the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance. At the time, the idea was to abandon Quel'thalas and move the Blood Elves to the promised land -- Outland. It's a long way from the High Kingdom to the Dark Portal, however, and met with outright hostility from the Alliance, Lor'themar needed to secure safe passage for his people for this exodus. The Horde was apparently willing to help, and Sylvanas lobbied for the Blood Elves to be admitted. Soon after Dar'khan was defeated all necessary paperwork was signed and the Blood Elves joined the Horde.

How they remained in the Horde after the civil war and killing their own prince is another story altogether.
55 Undead Warrior
tl;dr: Humans left the Blood Elves to themselfs after the scourge destroyed Silvermoon, forsaken helped them; they left Alliance and joinned horde.

lor'themar theron, though, is trying to get back to alliance as long as Garrosh is still warchief
90 Human Paladin
How they remained in the Horde after the civil war and killing their own prince is another story altogether.

I'm curious now, how does the story continue? :o
90 Dwarf Paladin
Cause the humans used to be the biggest racists of all races.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Wow.. excellent summary Averisa. Very rich of detailes, some of them probably unknown to the general audience. I couldn't have done it better.

I see that you prefer Sin'dorei lore to the Forsaken one after all.. is it right? :P
Woah, Thanks Averisa! That really helped out! Reminds me of how BA Bloof Elves really are. But are the Blood elves still addicted to arcane magic? And did the Blood elves on Azeroth also see Prince Kael'thas as a traitor when he made a pact with the naga?
04/07/2013 23:26Posted by Nobbel

I'm curious now, how does the story continue? :o

Tune in tommorow at midnight for another episode of Averisa's Goodnight Stories!

I hate cliffhangers. Unless I can make them. Then I love them. Love them to bits.

Wow.. excellent summary Averisa. Very rich of detailes, some of them probably unknown to the general audience. I couldn't have done it better.

Thanks. :)

I see that you prefer Sin'dorei lore to the Forsaken one after all.. is it right? :P

I like the Blood Elves, and I guess it's rather telling considering that I usually dislike Elven themes in fiction. I much more prefer Undead, however, with Dwarves coming in second. In Warcraft I guess the Blood Elves tie with the Dwarves. Possibly come slightly ahead of them.

Woah, Thanks Averisa! That really helped out! Reminds me of how BA Bloof Elves really are. But are the Blood elves still addicted to arcane magic? And did the Blood elves on Azeroth also see Prince Kael'thas as a traitor when he made a pact with the naga?

My pleasure to help. The Blood Elves are addicted to magic, they always were and always will be. Nowadays, however, they have access to the reignited Sunwell which fullfils all their needs. Essentially, this addiction won't become an issue unless the Sunwell gets corrupted/extinguished again, and rules of writing (repetition is bad) prevent that.

The Blood Elves supported their Prince throughout his service under Garithos' command and the decisions he took, as he really had no other choice. After he escaped to Outland and agreed to serve Illidan, they still supported him. That's why Outland was the promised land for them -- a land of untapped power to sate their needs, granted by Lord Illidan. It's only in Outland proper that we learn that Kael'thas' methods would bring ruin to the Blood Elves and Azeroth at large. On our way we meet an individual called Voren'thal the Seer, who was a high-ranking commander of Kael's forces. He was tasked with eradicating Draenei and Naaru presence from the city of Shattrath, and almost succeeded. As his forces stood arrayed to storm the Terrace of Light, he dropped his weapons and demanded to be taken to A'dal, the Naaru leader of the Sha'tar. He said that he saw him in a vision, and that his kind's survival lies with him. He pledged himself and his forces to the Sha'tar and founded the faction known as the Scryers. We, the players, side with him, and ultimately he's proven to be right. Kael's increasingly erratic and reckless behaviour in search of greater power culminated in him siding with the Burning Legion. Had Kael'thas been successful in bringing Kil'jaeden into Azeroth, he would've doomed the entire world, and his people with it.
Damn, you are like a walking encyclopedia!

It's only in Outland proper that we learn that Kael'thas' methods would bring ruin to the Blood Elves and Azeroth at large.

What were these methods?
What were these methods?

Until we enter Shattrath, we know only of two. The fist one was tormenting a Naaru (M'uru) in order to steal his Light powers. Kael'thas sent this M'uru to Silvermoon and ordered the creation of an order of Paladins called the Blood Knights, who unlike other Paladins didn't obtain their powers the usual way, but instead stole them from a being composed of Light energy. The second one was the use of Fel energy. Quel'thalas is magical kingdom, and through the millenia of the Sunwell's existence the Elves had come to rely on it, both personally and in their craftsmanship. All the pretty lights of Silvermoon, the hovering decorations, the tall spires and so on were sustained by magic, and without would cease to function. And collapse. With the Sunwell gone a new source of energy was required, and those were the Fel Crystals that Rommath brought with him from Outland. Their presence is also the reason why the Blood Elves have green fel-tainted eyes.

When we arrive in Shattrath we are only told what Voren'thal said to A'dal: that his visions told him that his people's only chance of survival lies with the Sha'tar. At that point we are forced to trust his visions, but once we arrive in the Netherstorm we can take a look at Kael's endeavours. He had taken over a Naaru dimensional ship and using Naaru technology created/placed Manaforges in the area. These instalations have the purpose of harvesting the raw energy found in great abundance in the Netherstorm (It being the weakest part of Outland and in the process of being torn apart by the Twisting Nether). He used this energy to gather the energy necessary to reignite the Sunwell. But in his reckless desire mishandling of them he had the Manaforges overworked, leading to malfunctions. And by 'malfunction' I mean that a mishandled Manaforge collapsed and allowed a powerful being of the Void to enter this plane of existence. That being was called Dimensius the All-Devouring, a Void Lord who utterly destroyed the Ethereal homeworld of K'aresh. Leading it's inhabitants to become the Ethereals that we are familiar with.

Also, in the Shadowmoon Valley, after we help the Earthen Ring to heal the elements of the shattered Valley, the elements tell us that the Cipher of Damnation -- the incantation used by Gul'dan to wreak such destruction -- is known to Kael'thas. And this can't be allowed to stand, as there's no telling what he will do with it. At that point the Sha'tar order Kael'thas killed and send us to the Tempest Keep.

I also forgot to mention, in the course of Sha'tar operations in the Netherstorm the Scryers discovered that Kael'thas has begun working for the Burning Legion. One more reason to bring him down.

Shortly after his demise his beaten corpse was found by Priestess Delrissa -- a Shivarra serving the Burning Legion -- who resurrected Kael by driving a Fel Crystal shard into his chest. This of course had an effect on him, and he began looking more like a Wretched than a healthy Blood Elf. Now that he had the necessary energy to reignite the Sunwell and was back on Quel'danas, he set about the task. But he did not intend to recreate the old Sunwell -- he wanted to create a gateway through which Kil'jaeden could enter Azeroth. For two reasons: Kael'thas at that point was partly power-mad, and partly insane. Along the way he also raided Silvermoon City, stealing M'uru away from the Blood Knights. This led Lady Liadrin, the Blood Knight matriarch, to renounce her vows of loyalty to House Sunstrider and join the Shattered Sun offensive -- the full might of the Sha'tar sent to thwarth Kael's schemes on Quel'danas. Kael'thas was killed shortly after.

Now, to wrap it up, I'll show why Voren'thal said that the Blood Elves would have not survived this:

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:SelinFireheart.jpg

Turned into demons.

*rubs forehead*

Nobbel, I'll write the follow up tommorow if you really want to read my writing. I actually already started, but it's too late now and I'm tired.
Edited by Averisa on 18/07/2013 21:01 BST
90 Undead Mage
but why did they join the Horde?

The short version? It's not that they had any reason to like the Horde, more that the Horde offered help while Alliance members were messing with them. And Blood Elves take matters of honor seriously, it would seem.

You could play a Blood Elf character through the first two zones to get a good look at this from the front lines if you want. Your character will be quite instrumental in securing horde membership for the Blood Elves.
... You continue to amaze me with your writing skills, The Picture is all becoming clear in my mind, and I have the tendacy to create a Blood Elf right now. You should work at blizzard, Averisa. Is the sunwell now tainted with fel magic? How did they recover the Sunwell after Kil'jaeden? I'm sorry for the large amount of questions. I'm just really curious.
05/07/2013 01:20Posted by Averisa
With the Sunwell gone a new source of energy was required, and those were the Fel Crystals that Rommath brought with him from Outland.

So those are the green Crystals, flying around Quel'thalas?
90 Undead Mage
Is the sunwell now tainted with fel magic? How did they recover the Sunwell after Kil'jaeden? I'm sorry for the large amount of questions. I'm just really curious.

No, it's been reignited in full glory. After fighting through all the bosses in the Sunwell Plateau (including the corrupted M'uru) the players get to witness Prophet Velen and Lady Liadrin arriving to survey the scene of Kil'jaeden's defeat. Velen carries the last pure spark of M'uru which re-ignites the Sunwell. If you visit it later (LK era sword quest) it's a site that both Blood elves and High elves visit - there is mistrust but the Blood Elves wouldn't keep their kin from visiting such a holy site.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Sunwell is made of ARCANE and HOLY magical energies both mixed together now. Blood Knights (basically the equivalent of Blood Elves paladins) are tapping into the Sunwell to use the Light now, just like the others Blood Elves tap into it to feed their magical addiction.

So those are the green Crystals, flying around Quel'thalas?

Yes. The correct name is BURNING CRYSTALS. Although now the that Sunwell is active again, they have been removed from Quel'thalas because the Sunwell alone can sustain the magical needs of their buildings/structures.

(You can still see them in Quel'thalas because Quel'thalas is not updated so it's still "frozen" in TBC times at least until Blizzard will update it... hopefully soon)
Edited by Elsya on 05/07/2013 13:57 BST
90 Blood Elf Rogue
The Burning Crystals were only there to provide support for the architecture; not to feed from, that was left alone to creatures such as mana wyrms.
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]