Spectator mode and the esport scene in general

90 Human Mage
Hello!

I am rarely in these forums so if this thread has previously been created; I'm sorry for the repost.

TL;DR: Will esport ever happened in wow?

Is there ever going to be a spectator mode? Is this in Blizzards attention? Are they working on the esport side of Wow? Has there ever been any news about this?

I have a vision, my friends, consider this:

No matter which aspect of pvp one would spectate, it would be really fun.
Imagine a fully organized team of 40 players battling in AV or some other grand BG with spectators cheering and watching from above! It would be a grand spectacle, epic would not be the least to describe it! It would be like BF3, but with frostbolts, bladestorms, typhones and fire elementals flying everywhere!
Imagine watching the absolute top tier players do AB against each other, see EU All-Stars vs US All-Stars fight on different fronts for supremacy while the teams has a separate commander which guides their soldiers while we fly noclip mode above the fighting at the same time as some professional caster is shouting at us scrubs what's happening!
Imagine having intense 2v2 or 3v3 battles with a proper and thought out UI and movement(for the spectator, ofc) system, with a minimap and everything focused on simplicity for easier viewing so we really can see all the skillful things which is being done (because on current tournies it is quite hard to actually pick up what's happening)... To have instant action replays on the death scatters and Altertimed nukes!
It would be magnificent especially when having in mind that wow is being more and more balanced (shut up crybaby, it is) wow could actually become a real esport if blizz put some effort into it!

What do you guys think? Could there be a future in this? Is this in blizzards interest? Are they happy with pve content and focusing on SC2 pvp or will there be more esport oriented content coming?
Edited by Imago on 12/07/2013 15:14 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Blizzard aren't making a spectator client because it would require to much work to keep up to date and to even create it(old engine I assume). People expect certain standards by Blizzard so making one would take to much work from patches I assume.

And if PvP is getting a spectator client so would PvE'rs, RBGs & probably pet battles. A lot of work for something that they would have to update for every single spell change. You'd have to have features to be able to put a delay on it because of arenas & pve world firsts, be able to opt in and out of it if you don't want people to be able to spectate you etc.

Not saying that they can't afford the time or anything but it's just the excuse they use to not make one, you'd expect a game that makes as much money as WoW to be able to hire 5 people to just focus on making a spectator client & update it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This could turn into wow's fall though. Esports are becoming more and more popular and if blizzard turns a blind eye to this then their costumers will choose games like lol or similar instead. And if sites like Arenatournament can create a simple and effective spectator mode, why would'nt the all and mighty Blizzard do one as well?

I think it's good to be nagging at Blizzard a little bit about this, having a spectator mode would great fun for us and very profitable for themselves
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Going to quote myself on an earlier thread about E-Sports:

Compare things like SC2, the same basic concept has been out for a decade now and it's really easy to build a e-sport game around it. MoBa games are kinda new thing, but there's dozen of those games already and it's really easy to game-hop around them. Play LoL at decent levels and you understand the basics of HoN and DoTa for example.

WoW is alone with arenasystem, there just isn't anything even closely similar to it. MoBa games have 4 abilities to follow and player position, wow has thousands of abilities and everything else so you can even grasp what the f* is going on in the game (when viewed from 3rd person) This is the main reason WoW wont be any succeeding e-sports ever. There's such a small number of PvP players, arenaplayers specific and there's no cross-game viewers or nothing.

Only high-quality commentators can bring WoW players any kind of understanding what's even going on in the game if you can't hear players communication. You can't bring this game into any kind of normal audience, like MoBa and Strategy games have. Right now you could drag any normal guy at age 25'ish from the street and ask him if he knows what Age of Empires is and can he explain in couple words how the game works. You can't do that with WoW PvP.

All I am trying to say is that this game will never be a e-sports, anything MLG or ESL had in mind for WoW was when there was a small chance for huge game overhaul for e-sport, now it's gone.
Only thing that could be viewed as a "e-sport" would be Challenge Modes as two team competition, but that's a long shot still.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
That might be so, Wow is really hard to get into, but the basic concept of stuns, cc, silence and so on which may have different spellnames for us seasoned players is the same thing for new players, why would they care if it's called "Spell Lock" or "Counterspell"?. Blizzard should take advantage of this and this is what i meant with that 3's should have a really simple and understandable UI which only showcases simple things and having experts explaining why it was good at a later, analyzing stage which would make people understand the depth of the game as well, kind of like itemzation of champions in different Moba games.

If i watch a Dota 2 game right now, i don't understand !@#$, yet it's popular for people who dont even play it and I would probably enjoy it as well if i put some time into it. The same could be applied to wow I'm sure if someone put the effort into making it understandable for the unlearned eye.

The esport platform for wow could be huge! There could be several different competitions (as said) in 10v10, 3v3, 40v40, raid timings, as you said, challenge modes and so on and so forth! Blizzard could have a freaking olympics in the different wow areas every blizzcon if they'd like! The only thing they need is to open peoples eyes for it, more people = more money = more production into the wow esport scene = more people = more money, and so forth.

I cannot understand why Blizzard wont see that esports is the new way of getting new players...
Edited by Imago on 12/07/2013 11:59 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
magine a fully organized team of 40 players battling in AV or some other grand BG with spectators cheering and watching from above! It would be a grand spectacle, epic would not be the least to describe it! I

Have you ever seen a WoW tourney crowd? Last time i saw one they just stood there basically silent, it was the most cringe inducing thing i'd seen in a long time
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/07/2013 12:21Posted by Cutforbieber
Have you ever seen a WoW tourney crowd?

The one in china was kinda sick, the crowd wasn't silent then
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Paladin
12/07/2013 12:21Posted by Cutforbieber
magine a fully organized team of 40 players battling in AV or some other grand BG with spectators cheering and watching from above! It would be a grand spectacle, epic would not be the least to describe it! I

Have you ever seen a WoW tourney crowd? Last time i saw one they just stood there basically silent, it was the most cringe inducing thing i'd seen in a long time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_p9Fc7TTz0
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Also, I don't know if it's very required to have Spectator mode right now. Every tournament is streamed with commentating and it's spectated with Vadraks Arena Live addon. Also, almost every top player streams now, so it's very easy to just pick the stream and start watching games with skype, which in my opinion is more valuable than what spectator client could do in this game.

I would actually dislike if people could spectate my games when I am not streaming.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Paladin
I would actually dislike if people could spectate my games when I am not streaming.

If a spectator mode would be implemented, it had to be with certain options to it. Such as that the player can choose whether he wants others to be able to spectate his matches, as you'd get 'spies' otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If a spectator mode would be implemented, it had to be with certain options to it. Such as that the player can choose whether he wants others to be able to spectate his matches, as you'd get 'spies' otherwise

Yeahhh, this. I remember trying to cap earlier on my monk on a useless laptop with no razer naga. so like 4-5 keybinds and 10 fps.

Was embarassing enough the other team seeing me play like this, would be horrible if there was random spectators :/
Reply Quote
Community
This discussion has come up many times before and as such I will mostly be restating a few points, but I do want to get this out there; we do think that that a spectator mode would be awesome for the game and we really would like to implement one. You have to remember that this would be a huge feature and it would require a large amount of development time to implement. What it really comes down to is finding the time to be able to develop such a massive feature that already has a working alternative which many people already use; streaming.

We understand that many of you would like to have a dedicated spectator mode, but at this time we have no plans for creating one.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Human Paladin
While spectator mode would be nice, I don't think it's needed. I do think Blizzard needs to invest more time in making World of Warcraft an e-sport. I think it's the way forward for games at the moment and that we shouldn't stay behind. We shouldn't miss out on this opportunity.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The one in china was kinda sick, the crowd wasn't silent then

Hmm i didn't see that one, the one i watched was the one in Germany, Gamecom i think? I just felt embarrassed for the MC then turning to the LoL stream it atleast felt much less awkward
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
WoW e-sport is not very likely to happen because.. let's be honest PvP balance is horrible. MLG dropped(say banned) WoW e-sport arenas long ago.

http://www.sk-gaming.com/content/30959-So_long_esports_and_thanks_for_all_the_hits

I doubt WoW will ever have a chance at esporting.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
12/07/2013 13:41Posted by Cutforbieber
Hmm i didn't see that one, the one i watched was the one in Germany, Gamecom i think?

Yeah that was the regionals and those were awkward because none knew what game they were watching, from what I remember WoW wasn't even supposed to be there until the last days when ESL(they were the organizers and it was a disgrace according to the players) asked for extra time to run it

let's be honest PvP balance is horrible. MLG dropped(say banned) WoW e-sport arenas long ago.

If you don't know why they dropped it I wouldn't even post anything like that. I wrote a very long post about it ages ago and you've got no idea why they dropped it if you say they banned it since MLG still wanted wow.
Edited by Easydragon on 12/07/2013 13:44 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you don't know why they dropped it I wouldn't even post anything like that. I wrote a very long post about it ages ago and you've got no idea why they dropped it if you say they banned it since MLG still wanted wow.

Banned, removed, got rid of same thing to me, it's no longer there, fact remains wow has a horrible pvp balance and will never be an e-sport.
Edited by Lex on 12/07/2013 14:06 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
fact remains wow has a horrible pvp balance and will never be an e-sport.

A balanced game doesn't mean it's an esport or even can be. No game will ever be 100% balanced as long as it has different legends / heroes / spells, if you want a balanced game you need to have 2 abilities each and no RNG or anything, a boring game in other words. A community makes a game an esport if they want it.

Do you honestly think SC2, Dota 2 are balanced? I don't.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Balance does not matter all that much for if a game is an actual esport or not, it's how many people watch it, and wow arena is not very spectator friendly
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]