still no virtual realms

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Lswindrunner, I'm sure they have their reasons. It would make no sense for them to delay it without reason, as it would only be a loss for them, so we can only assume they know what they are doing.
Reply Quote
I have a few questions:

1) With these connected realms will your char limits be across those or can you make chars on other realms which are connected to your main realm.

2) Assuming you can make chars on those realms (limits or otherwise) can you send your heirloom items to those chars ?

3) Will it shorten queue times for heavy populated realms like Draenor. Which everyone and their brother is moving to.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
one week before 5.4, again, one week before the hugely advertised realm merge, a blue member explained they had zero clue which realms will be merged.

so, well, this kind of "delivery as promised" must be well-known to all of us, move along, nothing to see here, at least until Christmas.

don't get mad, i am sure they are working on more important things ... like pet-battles maybe, or new types of hairdo, you know, important stuff.
Reply Quote
Community
@ Vaneras

4 of the 5 English speaking EU RP/PVP realms, are according to wowprogress data, amongst the 4 worst populated realms in the entire EU.

Frankly, since it has ALREADY been said that like type realm will be connected with like type realm, I fail to see the delay in connecting at least those 4 realms together right now if the technology is there. They will still be pitifully small re total player numbers unless they are all then connected to Defias Brotherhood, the high popped 5th RP/PVP realm, but hey, at least it would be a start.

Even though some realms were likely candidates to be connected together right from the start, like it is the case with some RP realms, there is also a matter of following the right procedure... things must be done in a certain order to ensure smooth implementation and to avoid mishaps that will be hard if not impossible to correct. I am fairly sure that we will not start connecting realms until final decisions have been made and we have a complete list of which realms to connect.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
25/09/2013 13:52Posted by Vaneras
I am fairly sure that we will not start connecting realms until final decisions have been made and we have a complete list of which realms to connect.

Good.

I'm glad that you're going to think this through carefully before implementing to avoid same kind of "failure" as Cross-realm Zones did "for me". CRZ -feature was nice but the way you implemented it... wasn't.

Any news on that matter by the way? Are you planning to do anything to Cross-realm zones -feature once Connected Realms -feature is on live/soon to be implemented?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
We can do it, and we will do it! What I am saying is that patch 5.4 brought the technology that makes this possible and now the only thing that remains to be done is to decide on the best way to optimally connect those realms that needs a population boost.

Shouldn't this have been done a while ago, the company already have the information needed at the fingertips of the people who deicide this, it's not as difficult as they make out. It's just a classic case of dithering and no one willing to take responsibility if it goes wrong 6 months down the line, and it will even if you make the perfect choices now.

There is active population separated by faction and the total, which will rule out certain realms, growth over a recent period and faction imbalances. Other things like type of realm are no brainers. No doubt they will leave a good chunk of the maximum free.

Send me the figures I say above and I will deicide for you.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
The number of people who think they know how MASSIVE game servers work is too dang high.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
One more reason the only news I await from blizzcon is that some heads are gonna roll cause this is another spit in the face of the players by promising something and then NOT delivering it....

They say it will launch after 5.4 goes live. They haven't spat in anyones face. Calm down.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
My only wish for Christmas: Connect Scarshield Legion with something. Anything. We are so lonely, can't do any rares or world bosses, AH is empty, not possible to flex raid...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter

It will be implemented during Patch 5.4, and it's technology which haven't been used before.
ROFLMAO
So I was right all the line and the patch 5.4 will last at LEAST 1 FULL year by the speed they connect the realms (and ofc they start with 2(!!!) us realms...)

25/09/2013 12:58Posted by Doomsinger
How would you describe it?

Sorry If I buy a car and the seller tells me it has Bluetooth and AFTER he bought it he tells me oh sorry mate Bluetooth gets enabled later it was clearly a LIE....
Same goes for vr's calling them a 5.4 feature cause I DONT HAVE access to it with 5.4 its clearly not a 5.4 feature....

But hey by the time they have implemented it wow will be so dead noone will notice any hickups happing because of it anyway...

One more reason the only news I await from blizzcon is that some heads are gonna roll cause this is another spit in the face of the players by promising something and then NOT delivering it....

AND give me a break with "they have to test it" thats what ptrs are for...

Hardly.

They said it was a 5.4 feature but that it wouldn't be released the day 5.4 went live. They clearly said long before 5.4 was releaed that the connected realms would be rolled out gradually in the weeks and months after the release of 5.4. I think if something happens during 5.4 (unless it's nearer the end than the beginning of 5.4) then it's a 5.4 feature.

They are delivering exactly what the said they would and are delivering it in exactly the way they've ALWAYS said they would. You on the other hand are being a drama queen and are misrepresenting what was said in order to allow you to be that drame queen.

To use the word lie for this.... Well.
Edited by Amaryliss on 25/09/2013 16:09 BST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
25/09/2013 12:30Posted by Vaneras
They can't just implement it to servers, they need hefty testings and need to decide which servers to connect. It's not as simple as switching lights on.

Pretty much this. Connecting realms is not as simple as flicking on a switch.

Patch 5.4 added a lot of new content to World of Warcraft, and it added some neat things behind the scenes as well :-)

We now have the technology in place to connect realms, and we will do it, however there are a lot more factors than just the technology that needs to be taken into consideration when deciding which realms to connect. We are working on it though, in fact we have been working on it for a while now, and hopefully soon we will have a final list of the realms that will be connected.

Then don't promote 5.4 with it.
Reply Quote
2 Gnome Mage
They said month before 5.4 that virtual realms will be connected in the months AFTER the patch had launched. They pretty much said so when thy announced the feature in the first place. And they are doing it, so what is the problem?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
quit complaining.... its been said that they will be implented in a short amount of time after patch 5.4 is released. Blizzard has confirmed they are working on it, and just want to do this as soon and as smooth as possible. Cause if they would do it right now people will start complaining.. Is that what you want? Be patient and it will come soon.....
Reply Quote
Same goes for vr's calling them a 5.4 feature cause I DONT HAVE access to it with 5.4 its clearly not a 5.4 feature....

if it happens before patch 5.5 or upwards, ie DURING 5.4, then its a 5.4 feature.
now where i can find does it say VR will be release when 5.4 is, its says DURING

AND give me a break with "they have to test it" thats what ptrs are for...

of the various companies i contract to, one of them runs a few IBM mainframes.
these have production and testing partitions (they have more, but lets keep it simple)
before i will allow ANY update to run in the prod partition, i want full documentation on every single thing the new update affects, and i want to see it tested fully under load on the testing partition.
when the rollout day comes, usually on a sunday when the packs are swapped anyway, the update goes live.....and i can guarantee that something unforseen will happen...it always does.
the only way to minimise this is to test it to distraction, then cross your fingers and let it go live.....
testing and production partition are NOT the same.....just the sheer number of users in a production partition alone can affect an update negatively.
you obviously have no idea how things run....sorry
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I bet we will never see this virtual realms.. just like the new char models..
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I do hope it won't be long now. I think a lot of people are in need of some more information really.
Bit like being in Limbo.

I do wonder if Blizzard are just waiting for the servers to settle down a little, With a lot of people coming back to check out the patch, they could well leave or choose to stay and if Blizzard do link some servers, it could end up making more of a mess.
Reply Quote
Maybe putting a bunch of the worst together instead of high [locked] and low..
Reply Quote
65 Human Mage
Guys, seriously... stop muttering already.... if they didn't advertise about this a lot of people would nag about that....

Give the Blizzard people a break and give them time to do things right....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]