What mechanics do Flex raids follow?

100 Night Elf Priest
I've only done LFR raids up until now and always thought they were basically just dumbed down versions of normal raids with some mechanics removed or simplified. My question is, how are Flex raid boss mechanics set up? I.e. Do they follow the same as LFR or Normal? Do Flex, Normal and Heroic have identical mechanics just with different health/damage levels?

I did my first Flex run last night and found it so much more pleasurable than LFR. I was in a group that accepted beginners and gave basic tactics as we went along and they seemed to be the same as LFR except there was a kickback for standing in AoE on the towers (this was wing 2). As I want to do more Flex raids, I want to be more prepared so would like to read up on tactics, hence my questions.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Goes like this;

LFR: Raiding which literally anyone could do... literally anyone.
Flex: Same as Normal Mode but with less numbers, requires basic tactics for most bosses but a lot can be zerged with good geared players.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warlock
As he said flex follows the normal tactics. Everything just hits softer than it does in normal, and the dps requirements are lower. If you look up normal mode tactics and follow those then you'll be fine i flex.

In terms of where to look them up, evrelia and fatboss guides are both always very good.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I did my first Flex run last night and found it so much more pleasurable than LFR. I was in a group that accepted beginners and gave basic tactics as we went along and they seemed to be the same as LFR except there was a kickback for standing in AoE on the towers (this was wing 2). As I want to do more Flex raids, I want to be more prepared so would like to read up on tactics, hence my questions.

Prepared to flex as youd prepare to normal raid - like gems, enchants, professions, even flasks - why not, and read up normal tactics (available from wowhead to icy-veins) because .... trough successful performance and flex raids you also build contacts and contacts will improve the MMO-experience and who knows where you end up be eventually. maybe even normal raids or new guild. I mean - flex is what PUG/slack raiding should be - with ability to build social network and having social network in MMO... no explanations needed.
Edited by Azryel on 13/10/2013 02:56 BST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
12/10/2013 23:57Posted by Donatra
they seemed to be the same as LFR except there was a kickback for standing in AoE on the towers (this was wing 2).

And there you have it. Generally, LFR mechanics are dumbed down like that. The principle is there, but the consequences aren't (or are much lowered). That AOE will bump you from the tower in normal too. Flex is pretty much "normal mode lite" and not "LFR harder"

I've done very little LFR in SoO so can't really comment there, but some examples from previous raids -

Lei Shen - if you don't soak the blue swirly Bouncing Bolts, you get one add to deal with in LFR. In normal, it will spawn the add, and bounce again (making another blue swirly that needs to be soaked or it will spawn an add and bounce again), potentially infinitely. His Fusion Slash doesn't bump the tank back (and potentially off the platform) in LFR like it does in normal

Primordius - if, as a healer, you dispel someone in normal, you remove both the beneficial and bad buffs from someone, so you don't want to dispel unless someone has multiple bad buffs. Each add killed only has one charge of buff-giving. In LFR, best as I could tell, dispelling only got rid of the bad buffs, and left the good ones, and there's 3 charges to each add's red puddle.

Ji'rokh - if you get focussed by a lightening ball in lfr, and don't leave the pool, you probably won't wipe the raid. You will in normal. Early on, before everyone was out gearing it, you also pretty much had to stand in the pool, as quickly as possible, if you wanted enough DPS to take the boss down.

Garalon - if you don't pass the pheromones around in LFR, there's a limit as to how high the debuff stacks. Not so in normal. Also in LFR, if someone goes under him, there's a limit as to how often he will Crush - again, no limit in normal.

Sometimes, though, mechanics are totally different - Durumu normal's color add phase wants you to find 3 red adds and kill them, never ever reveal the blue, and the yellow isn't there in normal. The cone-shaped AOE that he casts occasionally will bump you back and kill you (a pure and simple one-shot mechanic) in normal, while it doesn't do much in lfr. The maze is the same though.

As for heroic, I haven't done a ton, but in general, they add stuff - sometimes fairly straightforward (at least in theory) and sometimes pretty complicated. Many of the ones I've seen are some kind of mechanic where if you do it right, you get the extra DPS necessary to take the boss down. Some of these exist in lfr or normal but have complications in heroic (ji kun has a buff you can grab while under effect of the feathers, but you have limited times you can fly in normal, and more limited in heroic, plus there's nest adds that Must be tanked in HC, this requires two nest teams with tanks involved in HC), and some mechanics are totally new to HC (Stone Dogs in MSV, for example, has things that need to be activated and have certain people move in certain ways to buff the raid). There are also often other things you have to deal with at the same time (more / different adds on Horridon, stuff that has to be dodged during jinrokh's storm phase making it impossible to stack up for healing). And the bosses and adds have more health and will kill you harder.
Edited by Knitten on 13/10/2013 06:55 BST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
13/10/2013 02:56Posted by Azryel
and read up normal tactics (available from wowhead to icy-veins)

just watch a video on you tube : wow <boss name> guide
You'll have a lot better view into it than reading on it
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
13/10/2013 07:22Posted by Mewmewmew

Actually, whether a video or written guide is more useful depends on your learning style. I find both helpful in different ways, but often don't "get it" til I've wiped to something (I learn best by doing, IRL as well as in game)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
13/10/2013 07:22Posted by Mewmewmew

Since most guides are in English and my 'heard' English is as it is, I prefer to have it written. + Like poster above says - it depends on learning styles. I.e. I always open dungeon journal and I am capable to pinpoint things like : healers don't generate adds on norushen (unles sthey fail), nor do tanks (they cant fail), but dps does always - on my 1st quick-reading.

There are few teams that make guides that are thorough, but even on the 1h Lei Shen guide for HC (not sure how long it really was) it didn't answer to the specific question I had. And then I realised idiot me could have just measure floor patterns :p

You see - I learn by doing.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Thanks all, I'll look up some Normal raid guides. I usually prefer the written guides as I can read them in a couple of minutes whereas the video guides are often 8-10 minutes long for each boss.

I always keep myself gemmed and enchanted properly across all my chars. It baffles me when I see people in LFRs who aren't.

Anyway, Flex looks great for me and my friends at the moment - we've had some luck getting cross server pugs going late at night, which suits us fine as we're all night owls and play after our other halves etc have gone to bed. LFRs take forever to ding after midnight and tend to be full of a slightly different calibre of player.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]