[PvP-guide] Alterac Valley

85 Tauren Warrior

Introduction

Welcome to Horde PvP-guide for Alterac Valley. This article describes one of the best strategy how to win easily and with some pride. Victory by rushing into alliance base, destroying all bunkers on the way and facerolling the boss and winning the battle with 50 honorable kills is not the way Alterac Valley should be played.

Alterac Valley is probably the most epic battleground. Unluckily during the years it has been modified to the actual state, losing some epicness, but still it remains a big battle with intense fighting and massive encounters with enemy.

Continue reading if you like the idea to spent approximatelly 30 minutes in your battle, leaving with 300 shiny honorable kills and big smile on your face.

Before the battle

I won’t speak about the gear or things like this. Unlike other battlegrounds Alterac Valley has some special items you can use in the battle. They are useful and if you have a little time to obtain them you should get them asap.

Frostwolf Insignia – Useful item if you need to quickly return to the base. It is a trinket with 2 minute CD and allows you to teleport to your base. You can get it near the Alterac Valley entrance in Alterac Mountains.

Frostwolf Battle Standard – Similar to Horde Battle Standard. Drops a flag on the ground that increase damage done by 10% for all players within 40y. Obtainable from Jekyll Flandring near the Alterac Valley entrance in Alterac Mountains.

Horde Battle Standard – As mention above, this item drops also a flag on the ground with the difference this one increases your maximum hp by 15% for all players within 40y. This item can be used in all battlegrounds and can be obtained from vendor in Ogrimmar in the hall with pvp vendors.

Opening the battle

Start is very important. This is where the things happen that will lead to the end of the battle. If you underestimate the opening, you can easily become farmed inside your own base. You don’t want this, you don’t wanna be farm, you want to farm.

As soon as the battle starts one person should always take the mine.

You will need between 10 – 15 players to go defend Galvangar. Why it is important to go there?
    In most battles Alliance rushes here before anything else, meaning their priority is always him and after he falls they go for towers and progress further to the south.
    This is your chance to crush most enemies before they are far in south. If you succed to defend, you will also have much easier job to retake your towers. People who came to defend should always fall back to the south, retake towers and secure graveyards before joining the attack squad at the north.

You should send 3 people to take Snowfall graveyard. You don’t want alliance to spawn behind your back. Simple as that.

Rest of the players, aka attack squad, will have to manage couple things at once. The priority should be taking Stoneheart graveyard. Yes graveyard, don’t worry much about some people shouting at you, how noob it is to take it. For our strategy it is important to possess this graveyard. Why? While the defence is killing the Alliance at Galvangar you do not want them to spawn directly at where you attack squad is located. Send couple people to take it and defend it.

You need only one or two people taking Stoneheart bunker if you already have graveyrad, if not send more people to defend it, preferably with healer.
    Same about Icewing bunker.

The biggest group should go and kill Balinda. You might meet some Alliance defending, try to deal with them asap. Ussually you won’t find there more than 10 people in defence.

After killing Balinda those players should move to Icewing bunker and to the passage nearby. It is very important not to progress further to north at this stage.

So, to conclude the opening:
    - Take the mine
    - Defend Galvangar
    - Kill Balinda
    - Take Stoneheart and Snowfall graveyard
    - Take Stoneheart bunker and Icewing bunker
    - Do not go more north than the passage near Icewing bunker
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior

Destroying bunkers and building a barricade

It is essential to build a living barricade near the Icewing bunker. If you success to lock Alliance in the passage to north you will need only very few people to deal with rogues and kitten druids, as noone other should escape. Have at most 5 people running at south at recaping anything what is needed. If there is noone to recap, use your Insignia to teleport and do it yourself.

At this stage you should force all people to hold the line at Icewing bunker and push north slowly.

You should have couple people in bunkers, just in case some stealted enemies or whoever managed to escape the blockage won’t recap it.

Same about the Stoneheart graveyard. You need to cap it asap. Do not let Alliance recap it at all costs as this will lead to your barricade to fall and you will have to start again from Iceblood graveyard.

Making some maths, you will have between 25-30 players near the Icewing bunker, which should be enough to deal with all Alliance coming from north.

Try to hold on, destroy the bunkers and keep the situation on your side. After taking the Stoneheart graveyard and destroying bunkers all forces and join the barricade group and help to push north.

Ending the battle

If you succed to do all above the situation will look like this:
    - Stoneheart and Snowfall graveyard in your possession
    - Icewing and Stoneheart bunker destroyed
    - All the south secured
    - Most people pushing the north

From now you can be pushing Alliance to their base. They will have less than 200 reinforcement and it won’t take long to finish them all.

Remember that the more you approach the Stormpike graveyard some enemies can escape through the ridge on the west side of the road. Probably there won’t be many escaping, still you need some defenders to deal with them.

You can choose from two different ways how to win here. Purely by reinforcement or destroying tower / killing Alliance leader.

If you choose to win by reinforcement, simply push the Stormpike graveyard and try to cap it, then continue pushing them to their base killing everything that moves.

If you wanna try second option, do not cap Stormpike graveyard. Moon them, try to lock them at the spawn point by few players and rush to their boss and finish him.

Either way the battle will end with 0 reinforcement on Alliance side and about 350+ on your side. Congratulations, you just won an awesome battle for Alterac Valley!

Short summary

Just a very simple description of the whole strategy again:
    - Always defend Galvangar
    - Make sure you have sufficient defence, cap both mines during the battle
    - Do not rush to north, always wait to destroy enemy bunkers nearby or cap graveyards before moving north
    - You do not need to kill enemy boss to win

Please correct me if I have any mistake in the strategy, give your opinions or improvement. Thank you for feedback.
Edited by Martenus on 16/11/2010 19:24 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I like it! I can't describe how much I despise people who queue for Alterac Valley so that they can PvE.

Reply Quote
80 Troll Hunter
+like
Reply Quote
70 Dwarf Paladin
Gah try to explain that when you are in a Alterac Valley Raid, i have tried so many times. And this strategy is even more important in 51-60 bracket, where if alliance Drek is very hard to kill with any towers up.

But good job, and i liked it. Hopefully allaince players will read and understand what to do when playing aliiance :)
Reply Quote
80 Human Warrior
Yeah people have been running this type of strategy on Horde for a long while now and it works every time, unless enough Alliance with decent tanks and healers get forward at the start to Derek (Drek) and skip Gavin (Galv) - which is very rare these days.

There are also way too many Alliance who are already admitting defeat before the game even starts to try put together any counter strategy.

Alliance always seem to win though if a load defend Balinda and push South slowly along with some defence back at DB. One way or the other, win or lose, it's going to be a long game, rather than a blitz and there's where the problem lies for Alliance, as across our battlegroup at least, even with the merge, Alliance have almost instant queue times - so we're used to losing and getting in another game very quickly to farm honor - rather than Horde who must wait sometimes upwards of 30+ minutes per game :/
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Cap every GY except SP and farm them.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
Cap every GY except SP and farm them.

That is how you describe my strategy in 8 words? xD

Alliance always seem to win though if a load defend Balinda and push South slowly along with some defence back at DB. One way or the other, win or lose, it's going to be a long game, rather than a blitz and there's where the problem lies for Alliance, as across our battlegroup at least, even with the merge, Alliance have almost instant queue times - so we're used to losing and getting in another game very quickly to farm honor - rather than Horde who must wait sometimes upwards of 30+ minutes per game :/

Yea my waiting times are up to 45 minutes, ridiculous. That is why I am trying to persuade people into 30 minute battle, to at least get most from this long wait time.

But you said exactly the same as I did, just from alliance point of view. Defence of Galv/Bali is crucial and it should be done everytime.
Edited by Martenus on 17/11/2010 10:11 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Interesting read, sadly the map favors alliance more, nonetheless, a strong defense at galv, with defense group taking bk towers and a small group of players moving north taking theirs, is a win-win situation.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
I had about 10 battles of AV today and I always tried to suggest this strategy. I can really tell you it works amazing. We won every single time when we did this. I really love this one. Always took us about 30-40 minutes and top killer had about 300 HKs.
Edited by Martenus on 17/11/2010 22:23 GMT
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Paladin
One other thing I will add (This is Epi btw, Warrior posted above) is that from an Alliance perspective, when Horde take back the FrostWolf East and West towers from their base that Alliance attack at the beginning (those who make it there anyway) then that's it, Alliance just gives up after that.
That and the FW E+W towers are rarely if ever guarded by Alliance after they take them, usually most Alliance just afk leech on the little hill outside the entrance to Derek. Couple of Horde stealthers go take back FW E+W towers and that's it, game is over and you can be sure, from personal experience, Alliance just give up after that.

It's also quiet worrying that on Alliance side at least, we have so many botters playing lately it's just unbelievable. They're not even just standing there leeching, they run around, mount, run, unmount, heal themselves, auto attack, auto res after a death and do the same thing over and over again - it all adds up to making AV just so frustrating for Alliance :(
I did win a few AV games yesterday as Alliance though but we all agreed that was mostly down to the actual large majority of human players behind the characters on Alliance in those games rather than the usual botters.
Not taking away from Horde wins by saying that either :) It's not like you don't have winning strategies as you clearly do (I've played Horde mostly up until recently with the very long queue times ruining it for me so switched some characters to Alliance) but there just seems to be an unusually large majority of leechers and botters on Alliance side, especially so in the late evenings or night times/early morning where you'd be lucky to get even 50% of Alliance participating and who aren't botters.

Reply Quote
70 Dwarf Paladin
the little hill outside the entrance to Derek aka Noob Hill

Well i have been leveling in Alterac Valley 51*60 today. I think i met 5-6 people that actually understodd what to do, during this evening. So i just want to bump this thread a bit.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
You forgot the most important : DONT LOOT THE DOGS

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
the little hill outside the entrance to Derek aka Noob Hill

Well i have been leveling in Alterac Valley 51*60 today. I think i met 5-6 people that actually understodd what to do, during this evening. So i just want to bump this thread a bit.

Feel free to transform this to Alliance-side and post in the same spirit! Would be actually nice, so you tiny gnomes can learn something =)
Reply Quote
88 Goblin Shaman
I had about 10 battles of AV today and I always tried to suggest this strategy. I can really tell you it works amazing. We won every single time when we did this. I really love this one. Always took us about 30-40 minutes and top killer had about 300 HKs.

This. Exactly what I want to say.
Thanks for post with excellent tactics every smart horde player will use.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
It is Drek`Thar not derek.....

and great strategy's mate the tactics are excelent!!!
Edited by Madzecns on 19/11/2010 05:03 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
ZERG VANN!!
Reply Quote
70 Dwarf Paladin
You forgot the most important : DONT LOOT THE DOGS

Ah doesnt that bring back memories :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Sound tactics, not everyone knows how to effectively play in BGs, more people read this.....the more epic BG battles are for either losing and winning sides :)
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Paladin
awesome tactic except now the alliance will know our plan of attack!
Edited by Bokstav on 19/11/2010 18:36 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]