Guild Naming Policies

Resently on Argent Dawn there have been a spate of renames affecting long standing guilds.
the guild naming policy, specifically the part on ingame factions and lore references in guild names is ambiguous and requests to various GMs have resulted in differing responses, and responses that indicate that some of the guilds that have been renamed should not have.

can we have some clarification on the actual policy?

Also, what the hell blizz? guilds are being renamed left and right that are ambiguously against the rules, but guilds and players that are clearly breaking RP realm rules are ignored, even when reported many times?

EDIT: why has this been moved to general? this is clearly a customer support question pertaining to the ToS.
Edited by Sælora on 06/11/2013 14:52 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
trademarked names or character/zone names are against the rules i been told
Reply Quote
73 Blood Elf Paladin
As far as most of us are aware, its probably a singel player targeting big guilds with the report system to try ruin it for them, it would be helpful if the awareness of this was raised and hopefully looked into.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Lok'tar Blizzard!

Xornak supports these actions.

How we RP concepts relating to ingame factions when guilds are made, they are renamed, some guilds been around as long as 4-5 years.

You don't want Xornak to RP as peon do you?

*sulks*
Edited by Xornak on 06/11/2013 14:53 GMT
Reply Quote
Not to say that some of the guilds have had their specific guild name for almost 8 years.
Reply Quote
72 Goblin Hunter
trademarked names or character/zone names are against the rules i been told

That might be so for the general rules, but I simply cannot understand why they'd force such things on roleplayers, since well, they roleplay abiding the LORE. You can't seriously expect that every guild name that has something pointing to lore will be forced a name change. That's just stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
You don't want Xornak to RP as peon do you?

Sumtin' need doink?

I think they should loosen the restrictions for RP Realms. I don't play on one but I can understand the frustration. Clearly RP Realms will tend to use game-related guild names to fit their certain style of RP.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Xornak not want to RP as Peon.

Please change rules.

Xornak will be good. Xornak promises.
Reply Quote
73 Blood Elf Paladin
And the fact stand, even if we maybe did wrong, this was never mattered before, this is a person reporting tons of big guilds, that have been around for years for who knows what reason.

Maybe we did break a rule with some of our guild names, but this have never happened before.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Xornak,

How'd you get no achievement points?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
How'd you get no achievement points?

Xornak very good at avoiding manual labour.

If you go to Xornak's armoury page Xornak actually has 11900+ achievement points (even though it's over 12k in game?!). Xornak just cool.
Edited by Xornak on 06/11/2013 15:01 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
The rules are pretty terrible on a Role Playing realm. Near contradictory, even. Gotta stay in character, but ho, ho, you can't reference anything lore wise in your name or guild name, even if it does make sense.

But it isn't as if Blizzard has being particularly 'good' toward role-playing, so this doesn't come as a surprise, I suppose.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Xornak want blue post on this.

Or would Blizzard see Xornak a peon?

:(
Reply Quote
72 Goblin Hunter
Glad to know that tickets are noticed earlier.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
I think they should loosen the restrictions for RP Realms. I don't play on one but I can understand the frustration. Clearly RP Realms will tend to use game-related guild names to fit their certain style of RP.

The rules are pretty terrible on a Role Playing realm. Near contradictory, even. Gotta stay in character, but ho, ho, you can't reference anything lore wise in your name or guild name, even if it does make sense.

This.

It gets even silier if you consider that Guilds with names that have clearly sexual overtones (like Guilds named after certain sexual acts that have no connection to the US Tea Party Movement, for example) are 'allowed' despite being more offensive than a guild involving the Scarlet Crusade for example.

If they'd be so kind to take action against all the 'Arthasdk' or permutations of a certain Undead ruler, too, then there might be some sense to it all, but it is rather silly to have issues with lore-bunnies and RP-ers to get into the spirit of the setting.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
This is ridiculous. Blizzard are basically with realizing or not, Ruining their own game for their loyal fan-base.

"Sure, you can role play, Sure, it has to be completely in character! Sure, you cant reference anything in your guild when its ICly meant to be about something in character."

When I played casually on a Pvp server, the most I'd play was for about 6 months, then quit.
As a roleplayer I have been here for nearly four years from the moment I started roleplay.
Because you get into that community and stay there.

Great way to piss all over those loyal customers of yours. Thanks Blizzard.[Sarcasm]

Hell, why not just delete the roleplay realms completely right? I mean those thousands of players who are dedicated wouldn't mind you going a step further and banning people referencing Lore AT ALL, right?
Reply Quote
70 Undead Warrior
To add confusion, it's really not a consistent gospel among the game masters on when a name conflicts with the policy. This shows that the rules are stretchable like rubber, and the ruling of your case depends on whether the game master is happy because it rains or not.

Several of us oldies even know that you risk flagging and forced name change, if an expansion brings your name into the game world. Which is pretty hairy, even with the ToS due to the little fact called intellectual property in most countries.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
My guild name, no!
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
To add confusion, it's really not a consistent gospel among the game masters on when a name conflicts with the policy. This shows that the rules are stretchable like rubber, and the ruling of your case depends on whether the game master is happy because it rains or not.

Perhaps try 'forumshopping' ie keep on ticketting till you find a compliant GM?

While personally I am not in favor of having to resort to practices perhaps best left to the legal system, it certainly has worked for twink players in the US before (even when it shouldn't have).

Especially if a Guild (or better yet, a multitude of Guilds) does this en masse, the resultant paper work will result in Blizz having to take notice and action, and as with current subscriber realities driving of otherwise perfect customers because they want to abide by the RP-realms rules etc. makes little sense, I personally expect them to change their policy or at least re-instate the Guilds.

Call it a form of civil disobedience if you will.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]