No free re-customization for new Char. Models

90 Undead Warlock
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3548-Blizzcon-2013-Recap?#comments

New Character Models

"There will be no free re-customization for characters after new character models."

I think this is a rather bad decision, to not give at least one re-customization to players, when the new character models will be out.

When we made our characters, we could chose how we whant them to look, and now they are going to change the looks of them, and we are being forced to take them as we get them, otherwise we will have to pay real money to make them look like we whant them to look again.

What do you guys think of this?
Should we get one re-customization for every character?
Or should it be one for every Battle.net account?

Tell me what you think of this :)
Reply Quote
26 Human Warlock
no matter what we won't get something for free that usually costs money

after all, it is blizzard
Reply Quote
I too think it's a bad decision. I'm absolutely fine and grateful for the fact we're getting new models, but if I end up not liking the way my Human looks I'd like to be able to pick a face which I do find pleasing. If they're forcing us to pay for re-customization of our characters then I don't see the point of advertising new models as a feature of the expansion in the first place if they're going to give us pre-defined options based on how our characters currently look like. Hell, the new models shouldn't even have had been an announced feature, they said it was going to be an upgrade in a future patch.
Edited by Daenardo on 10/11/2013 08:19 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
You can change 3 of the 5 customization options in barbershop (usually hairstyle and color + 1 gender/race based). Don't think the new model would seriously change your skin color and whatever else is the 2 other options.
Imho not that big price for being updated finally.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It doesn't surprise me, considering that they try to skin $ from anything possible. This is Blizzard. "If we can charge $ for appearance change, of course we would. Why should we give it for free?"

The issue here however, is that we are being forced into accepting the new looks, which I think a lot of customers will not like. Especially in US, where customers use to be very vocal about such things. If the gnomes of like 130 000 players look silly after the change (minding the silly facial expression of the gnome female shown recently) I expect a huge outcry.
Reply Quote
- WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
10/11/2013 08:14Posted by Allmylooms
after all, it is blizzard

That same "Blizzard" you talked about is making a number of features in Starcraft 2 free for patch 2.1, so your argument is largely invalid.

Anyway, I think it is totally reasonable for Blizzard to give people free re-customizations. I am personally rather surprised at their answer, as anyone unhappy with the new version of their face should have an option to choose another.

It wouldn't surprise me if they reverted that answer in the near future. Maybe they simply said "no" because it isn't something they are ready to talk about yet.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
If the gnomes of like 130 000 players look silly after the change (minding the silly facial expression of the gnome female shown recently) I expect a huge outcry.

Considering even my (I can for example safely say I big reason I still subscribe are Gnomes) gut reaction to the overly Disneyesque Gnome Female Gnome was

kill it with fire

that is certainly a possibility.

Especially because they ARE significantly changing the models, going by those pics - they are the new version of Anvarra's face, which is the 'tough power woman Gnome'-look w/ heavy make-up, something that befits Anvarra's personality to a T.

Now look at what that face becomes with the (apparently) mandatory change:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/3529-Art-of-World-of-Warcraft#image=wowartgal:82

an entirely different face, some soft-boiled simpleton's face that doesn't correlate one bit to

a) the original model

and

b) Anvarra's persona.

They really ought to take a leaf from EverQuest (2) and allow people to chose wether they like the new models or their original one, and at the very least a free curstomisation/character (which btw EQ offers as World Event rewards in-game, just saying).

---

As a side-note, this may just be the final nail in the coffin for me, as, looking at the latest expansions, more and more things are taken from my characters, which are the primary reason I even play WoW

- Cataclysm destroyed the world my characters lived in and the thinsg they busied themselves with , and diminshed their 'life accomplishments' (nerfs to Ambassador and other reps, removal of Keys Red Quests etc.);

- MoP outright removed their 'life accomplishments' (Accountwide Achievement Rewards and Mounts, Heirlooms outclassing all their on-character acquired gear thanks to 5.4 etc.)

- and now, now with WoD even their last bit identity - their form, the face in the mirror they see - will be taken away as well.

Now of course those are primarily my own feelings but I doubt I am the only one who feels very uncomfortable by having even the last shred of your current charater's identity being taken away, and it may very well remove the point of even bothering to play anymore.

If WoD means essentially a new game with new characters, one might as well just play an actual new game instead.
Edited by Anvarra on 10/11/2013 09:04 GMT
Reply Quote
70 Undead Warrior
It's no big deal as long as they keep the barber shop, is it?

edit: along a plastic surgeon that is
Edited by Feyreine on 10/11/2013 11:58 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
If we have to pay to recustomise, to take use of an announcement for the Expansion, then the Expansion better be free.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
BTW, if the newly imposed character models are a feature of WoD, they shouldn't be included for Accounts of the earlier iterations of the game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
again you do not own your chars you only rent them by paying a subscription.... read your terms of service... if your feeling butt hurt just quit...

and the models will be imported across all expansions so there will be no iterations of the current model
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
BTW, if the newly imposed character models are a feature of WoD, they shouldn't be included for Accounts of the earlier iterations of the game.

Some expansion changes are always given to everyone. Like the Talent changes or Inscription.

These new models (as improvements to the game engine itself) would be rolled out to everyone in the pre xpack patch.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
again you do not own your chars you only rent them by paying a subscription.... read your terms of service... if your feeling butt hurt just quit...

Grow up.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
@ Anvarra, indeed

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/november/bconArtOfWoW065.jpg

This gnome looks awful. Its expression is like it begs for a candy or something...else.

Who knows what they'll do with my char's face, it's ugly now and if it becomes even uglier? To pay $? How about *** off.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

Grow up.

coming from people who are moaning from how there pixel chars are going to change... a great comment
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
coming from people who are moaning from how there pixel chars are going to change... a great comment

Some people do care how their chars look. And respecting other's views is a part of growing up. Maybe it's time.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
@ Anvarra, indeed

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2013/november/bconArtOfWoW065.jpg

This gnome looks awful. Its expression is like it begs for a candy or something...else.

Who knows what they'll do with my char's face, it's ugly now and if it becomes even uglier? To pay $? How about *** off.

Thanks.

Like I said, what makes me even more concerned is that that particular new Gnome face is apparently meant as the replacement of an entirely different type of face. Which is a far cry from 'just a touch-up with a little more polygons'.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
This is no big deal to be honest, we're all getting a free level 90, I think we all should be very grateful for that, and Its only like 15 euro's which Isn't much. :)
Blizzard kinda deserve earning money from it, as It takes alot of time, effort to bring us this amazing expansion.
Edited by Cassilol on 10/11/2013 09:55 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Only way I am fine with this decision is if they remove the paid recustomization and give barber way more options to exclude the said payment option.

But that won't occur and since they will be adding more hairstyles and probably more faces and such I wished for a customization at the release.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
I dont mind, they are a business and they have spend alot of time on these models.

They deserve to earn some extra on them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]