Security scan error..

100 Human Warrior
File: Scan-64.dll

Source:http://eu.scan.worldofwarcraft.com/update/scan-64.dll

goes to: c:users/public/games/World of Warcraft WoW-64.exe

my security scanner (norton or avast should check) gives me an error that the file is either very new or just not many people in the world that use norton have the file (it literally says that)

It recommends I stop downloading the file so at first I tried ignoring it and download it but the next day the same error bumped up so I didn't download the file and that's been going on for a week now..
Edited by Chríss on 15/11/2013 07:14 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
ya had the same thing i use avast
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
You know how to solve it?
Reply Quote
57 Draenei Death Knight
I have the same problem here :/
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
What to do what to do..
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
It also came up with a second file for me like yesterday another file joined that que.. I downloaded that one I think so I duno if it'll be coming back but the other one still does as far as I'm aware..
Reply Quote
I just got the same error but a quick check on the Blizzard US support forum shows it's an authentic bliz file.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
Same problem here.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Update your virus definitions.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Having the same problem
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
similar problem here (I live in EU, play on EU server, Win7-64bit, 32-bit-wow-client, Comodo Internet Security)

Comodo Internet Security finds scan.dll.new in the world of warcraft folder
it classifies as a threat: "Packed.Win32.MUPX.Gen@129019204"

not sure what to do...
Edited by Elouyn on 16/11/2013 18:00 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Seems like Blizz has some things to fix? I duno.. i trust blizz though I just accept them..
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Got the same. I just pressed ok to abort the connection and it was fine to login. Still scared if some malware intercept my login!
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Yeah I got the same fear thats why I'm so freaked out about it..
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Monk
Googling about it it looks like the same thing popped up in the past - as a false positive. My antivirus hasn't given any warning whatsoever, but I'm on ESET. If I had to bet I'd say it's just the same thing, false positives aren't very common but still happen.
Edited by Nyshae on 16/11/2013 23:54 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Googling about it it looks like the same thing popped up in the past - as a false positive. My antivirus hasn't given any warning whatsoever, but I'm on ESET. If I had to bet I'd say it's just the same thing, false positives aren't very common but still happen.
What's a false positive? I'd be scared of a true negative!
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
17/11/2013 00:18Posted by Nessla
What's a false positive?

A false positive is when your anti-virus program incorrectly marks something as being malicious.

The best thing to do is restart your computer and make sure it's clean.

One way is to follow this guide by MVP Shammoz;
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1820913657

If after all of those scans nothing turns up - it's a false positive. Set your anti-virus software to consider the game a trusted application by marking the game folder as an "exception" or "exclusion" and it should stop. If it persists I'd recommend getting a better anti-virus program. Avast has never caused me any problems.

The reason I recommend running a thorough check to make sure your computer is clean is that it's always possible an existing infection has contaminated some of the files in your World of Warcraft folder.
Reply Quote
100 Human Death Knight
Then go report the false positive to your anti-virus program's support team?

It'll achieve a lot more than using profanity on Blizzard's 12+ forum...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]