Gearing as 540 ilvl discipline priest

90 Undead Priest
Greetings,

I'm a 540 ilvl discipline priest. I would like to make an enquiry pertaining to the relationship of spirit, critical strike rating and mastery rating at my item level.

I've had multiple people tell me that I'm stacking too much spirit and that I should focus more on

a) Critical strike
b) Mastery

Although in what order should I stack, I'm unsure.

I don't have mana issues right now, but I fear this might happen if I regem for more critical strike/mastery, especially without the legendary gem (I'm working on it).

EDIT: I'm currently reforged for mastery since I'm trying to do proving grounds.
Edited by Holycappy on 06/12/2013 15:30 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Here you go... Check out some other good priests & what they doing.

http://www.worldofwargraphs.com/statspve-bestplayers-5-0-0-0-0-0-0-0.html
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
15 k spirit is way too much for disc - I'd say try to float around 12 k until you get the meta, after that, around 10 k should be good, plus/minus depending on whether you raid with a resto shaman or not.

After 520-ish ilev, your best stat is crit (after int ifc). There is a relation between crit/mastery, but due to the fact that siege gear has mastery all over it (all our tier pieces have mastery), you wont manage to be low on it. Also, due the the fact that secondary stats get double budget on gems, 2xcrit being better than 1int, its better to gem for crit too.

So:
- if the item has mastery and crit, leave it as that
- if its got mastery and something else thats not crit, reforge that something else to crit
- if its got crit and something else that is not mastery, reforge that something else to mastery
- gem int+crit in red sockets, crit in yellow sockets and crit+spi in blue sockets.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Thank you for your replies.

I assume my gameplay style will have to change a fair bit aswell, considering I was used to an abundance of mana. What I did was basically the following:

- Prayer of Mending on CD
- Penance practically on CD
- Archangel + spirit shell + power infusion coupled with Prayer of Healing when I anticipated heavy raid damage.
- PW:S on with rapture proccs, however, I would sometimes blanket the raid
- Cascade pretty much on CD (I realize this is a bad idea but I didnt have mana issues until now)

I tend to not use mind bender as much, since I found that, while it does more damage, Power Word: Solace gives better mana return.

I've got the basic mechanics of th discipline priest down pretty well I feel, but transitioning from high spirit to high crit is somewhat daunting to me as of this moment as I feel I can't spam my AoE abilities anymore.

Is there anything I should specifically cut down or switch up possibly?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I've had multiple people tell me that I'm stacking too much spirit and that I should focus more on

a) Critical strike
b) Mastery

Although in what order should I stack, I'm unsure.

Actually I'm precisely the same, 540 ilvl, done flex 12 many times and trying 3, read LOTS of guides, even ones telling me to stack HASTE lol.

What I did do is look at the better geared and experienced players in terms of SoO content and copied them - reforging to CRIT above all - even at the expense of spirit. Then mastery with haste last.

I have tried 4 piece T16 and now gone back to 2 piece. I've also swapped my spirit one hander and offhand to the Sha wep due to it's crit and mastery stats. Essentially I've gone for max OUTPUT and boy does it work!

I did 106k HPS on flex 3 LFR a few days ago and am seeing halos critting for 550k+.

I LOVE using the archangel at 5 stacks, giving an extra 10% crit for 18 seconds (2 piece T16), then power infusion for speed and mana reduction for 20 seconds, then spirit shell then spamming PoH clicking a member from each group on my grid layout, thus bubbling (spirit shell) the entire 25 man raid! It's so FUN to see all those bubbles!
IT JUST SYNERGISES SOOOO WELL!

Now - about mana. A game-changer for me was the MINDBENDER - 30-50k mana return every MINUTE! Combined with selective shields (free when used up) and trinket use - I'm rarely mana starved and find the extra output by min maxing crit and mastery over spirit is providing more healing and absorbs and thus needing fewer casts and maximising heal per mana that way.

Hope this helps.
Edited by Ordained on 07/12/2013 13:15 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I tend to not use mind bender as much, since I found that, while it does more damage, Power Word: Solace gives better mana return.

This is true if you use solace on cd.

I dont think you will feel the drop in spirit so badly - are you generally close to oom at the end of the fight?

Cascade isn't particularly good this tier - spread fights favor halo (imerseus, protectors, sha, iron quon malkorok, spoils, klaxxi, siecrafter) and stacked fights favor divine star(norushen,galakras, thok, garosh).

07/12/2013 13:11Posted by Ordained
power infusion

Twist of faith is better this tier :P.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Posted by Ordained
power infusion

I appreciate your advice actually Saphiramoon. The only thing then is I won't have the 20% haste buff to spam 5 x PoHs on entire 25 man raid before spirit shell ends.

And it IS fun to see 25 bubbles haha.

Convince me please.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Undead Mage
Personally I run with PI for quite a few bosses and use ToF on a minority :P

It's partially personal preference :-)

I agree :3 i enjoy seeing 25 little yellow dots on my raid frames and then watch them all vanish on raid damage.. without seeing their HP bars go down :>
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I have made some alterations to my gear and have decided to drop teh 4-piece bonus in favour of better gear. I have switched up some of my talents.

Cascade -> Divine Star / Halo
Power Infusion -> Twist of Faith

I use PW:Solace, PoM and PW:S (rapture) essentialy on CD constantly; I have addons that ensure I don't leave it off cd for too long.

To my suprise I didnt really have mana issues as bad as I thought I would have. I have started to atonement heal a lot more but it seems to even out, the damage is there (about 70k dps when I'm really focusing on atonement) which of course translates into better healing.

I'm kind of nervous about pulling the trigger and going full crit. Right now I'm at about 23 percent crit chance while I've seen some people who are only about 3-5 ilvls bigger than me with crit chance up to 30 percent. I dont know how you can achieve these numbers without sacrificing something significant.

I've only done ToT LFR though (legendary quest farm) so I will have to see how this will translate into flex (having trouble getting into normal raids atm).

Now - about mana. A game-changer for me was the MINDBENDER - 30-50k mana return every MINUTE! Combined with selective shields (free when used up) and trinket use - I'm rarely mana starved and find the extra output by min maxing crit and mastery over spirit is providing more healing and absorbs and thus needing fewer casts and maximising heal per mana that way.

Hope this helps.

I'm actually really surprised about you not having any mana issues. You have 7.5k spirit UB, which to me seems shockingly low. I'm trying to reforge spirit to some more crit myself but am extremely antsy about something like that.
Edited by Holycappy on 07/12/2013 21:33 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I appreciate your advice actually Saphiramoon. The only thing then is I won't have the 20% haste buff to spam 5 x PoHs on entire 25 man raid before spirit shell ends.

I'm not a fan of raid bubbling really :P - I find spirit shell a rather boring cd - and missing one extra shelled prayer maybe is not a biggie for me. I rarely use it on cd, because it's generally not really needed. I prefer the 15% extra healing for 20% of the fight at least - even more if you have some adds to activate it on. On spread fights, prayer of healing isn't even amazing. Spirit shell was fun the first couple of months and then it got kinda old.

I agree it's personal preference - and I ran with PI the entire expansion - but ToF feels more useful now :).
Edited by Saphiramoon on 07/12/2013 23:58 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Always keep crit and mastery close to each, at least 5%. But thats is kinda unavoidable in this tier with all the mastery gear.

If you use PW:S alot then mastery pulls ahead. But crit pulls ahead because of the atonement heals and DA procs.

Dont try to use lvl 90 talents on cd, only if the damage is incomming or happens.
Always use penance on mobs, unless there is alot of tank dmg stacking grace or to save someone with low hp.
Combine your SS + arch with inner focus (pref before raid wide dmg happens, else durning)

Durning low damage keep dpsing, this will help your mana alot. But i think you firgured that out. There is no magic number for spirit. It´s what you feel comfortable with, if u see yourself save alot of mana after fights then try to lose some.

I also recommend brining a stack of tome of clear mind and change your talents depending on the fight. Fights require diffrent talents and it will help your healing.

Also try to replace your trinkets as fast as possible. The ones you have are very bad for disc and the Horridon/shado-pan one are better then those, or even the timeless dps trinket. In the end try to get the sha and siegecrafter trinket ofc.

Oh and try not to go for +spirit and haste socket bonuses (like your rings) but gem pure crit instead.
Edited by Shinbou on 08/12/2013 08:43 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I'm actually really surprised about you not having any mana issues. You have 7.5k spirit UB, which to me seems shockingly low. I'm trying to reforge spirit to some more crit myself but am extremely antsy about something like that.

If you use atonement a lot (and it's actually decent to use a fair bit on most fights) you should balance the mana consumption you do on bursts. That is pretty much disc style: you atonement your heart out, while keeping rapture on cd, and when the big bad thing is coming you spirit shell and/or toss a couple of shields out (which is where the meta does wonders). Other than that, our level 90 talents are really really good. A good halo or divine star can do over a million healing.

Also try to replace your trinkets as fast as possible. The ones you have are very bad for disc and the Horridon/shado-pan one are better then those, or even the timeless dps trinket. In the end try to get the sha and siegecrafter trinket ofc.

The cleave/multistrike procs of those trinkets are idd !@#$ for disc (doing like 1-1.5% of my healing usually, while the same trinket does up to 10% for our druid), but they are somewhat oki due to the int proc. I've been trying to get horridon's trinket the entire t15 with no success and I dont think at this time going for the LFR one is worth it. The shado pan insignia fully upgraded only got replaced recently for me with the nazgrim hc one (which nobody wanted anymore) and it was a hard choice tbh. Instead of that - because it would cost some valors - a viable alternative that amounts to about the same gains is the Timeless Isle 50k trinket Relic of Chi Ji or smt like that. The 1.5 min use effect makes it a bit more comfortable than the 3 min on the insignia and it's got a bit more intellect. The mana gain per 3 min is slightly lower than the insignia, but the 1.5 min cd might end up better because you can use it earlier and more times.

However, idd, the sha trinket (the one that amplifies your secondary stats) and the blackfuse one are the best for disc.

I'm not entirely sure about avoiding haste that badly: I dont think it's a bad stat for disc, it's just not as good as crit and mastery, but still useful: some disc priest theorycrafters even advise getting enough haste to fit a 5th poh in the spirit shell duration (with one of the bt-ed). As a healer, it's hard to calculate the exact value of a heal landing 0.1 sec faster. You learn to appreciate it on thok :)).
Edited by Saphiramoon on 08/12/2013 08:58 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
I´ve had the nazgrim warforge trinket drop and won due to having horridon and shado pan still. But after reading everyons calculations i gave it to our druid healer instead. The multicrit from the trinket doesn´t proc DA. The int proc is nice i guess but, if another healer can use it way better then me i didn´t mind run around with my old trinkets (and it payed of seeing as i got both bis trinkets :) )

I'm not entirely sure about avoiding haste that badly: I dont think it's a bad stat for disc, it's just not as good as crit and mastery, but still useful: some disc priest theorycrafters even advise getting enough haste to fit a 5th poh in the spirit shell duration (with one of the bt-ed). As a healer, it's hard to calculate the exact value of a heal landing 0.1 sec faster. You learn to appreciate it on thok :))

Haste is not BAD perhaps, but i don´t think its worth sacrificing our other stats for it (crit/mastery) as they just work better with disc. We have alot of instant cast spells. But everyone has its own opinion/way ofcourse.
Edited by Shinbou on 08/12/2013 12:55 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I´ve had the nazgrim warforge trinket drop and won due to having horridon and shado pan still. But after reading everyons calculations i gave it to our druid healer instead. The multicrit from the trinket doesn´t proc DA. The int proc is nice i guess but, if another healer can use it way better then me i didn´t mind run around with my old trinkets (and it payed of seeing as i got both bis trinkets :) )

Mine would have just been de-ed - as all healers had it already. Honestly, I hesitated using it even like that, but I cant reforge more out of spirit than I already do and I can handle without the 60k mana from the insignia. Ofc the aim is to get the siegecrafter one and get more pieces without spirit after our dps have them.

Haste is not BAD perhaps, but i don´t think its worth sacrificing our other stats for it (crit/mastery) as they just work better with disc. We have alot of instant cast spells. But everyone has its own opinion/way ofcourse.

Instant spells still have a GCD that is affected by haste - and we don't really have that many more instants than other healers really - it's mostly PWS not scaling with haste other than from the gcd. Otherwise - our only instants are mending, level 90 talents and holy fire.
The reason why I commented on that part was the ring thing on the OP - he is not really "sacrificing" anything by gemming int - sure 2xcrit pulls slightly ahead 1xint after 520-ish, but it's not that much ahead to just ditch 60 free haste. He is not exchanging crit for haste, he is exchanging crit for int and the socket bonus is just extra.
Edited by Saphiramoon on 08/12/2013 13:21 GMT
Reply Quote

Yeah, haste is fine in a vacuum. I would certainly pick it over getting hit for example. However relative to mastery and crit it is undoubtedly weaker. Fun little anecdote - I ended up in a run recently with a full SoO HC geared discipline priest that was stacking haste and gemming pure intellect (why their guild didn't tell them off is beyond me) and their healing output was abysmal and contributions to DPS dipping below mine (I'd expect a priest that is rocking ~575 ilvl to be absolutely knocking it out of the park).

Then again, I still see discipline priests clinging to Kindness of Chi-Ji and honestly believing that the Purified Bindings of Immerseus are going to proc for them through Atonement. Having an idea about how things work is kind of useful.

The amount of spirit that you want is entirely dependent upon your playstyle and those that you raid with. If you have a group where all your DPS are cranking out 300K upwards then you can probably afford to drop some of that spirit. If you have a couple of individuals that are topping out at the 150k mark, you'll need more because the fights will simply last longer. There is no magic amount and the quantity you used ultimately comes down to how comfortable you feel on each individual fight and nothing else. Personally I keep the Timeless Isle DPS trinket on hand for switching out with my Horridon's Last Gasp when I don't need the extra mana and will use a better setup when something a touch more useful drops.
Edited by Mianette on 08/12/2013 15:15 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The only decent trinkets this tier are the ones from Sha of Pride and Garrosh. No one would want a regen trinket and the multistrike/cleave trinkets either don't increase your dps or your healing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
The only decent trinkets this tier are the ones from Sha of Pride and Garrosh. No one would want a regen trinket and the multistrike/cleave trinkets either don't increase your dps or your healing.

Firstly i don´t think any healer should take this trinket over a dps, unless won on coin or nobody wanted it.

I can´t believe pure haste would overtake a consistant pure int trinket. Also the more regen from trinkets the more spirit you can drop. Isnt the int proc a bit unreliable seeing as you need to be dpsing the whole time to get a consistant proc?

I wouldn´t call myself a disc expert no near but seeing as you are also the first disc priest i see wearing this trinket (top guilds included) it cant be that good. But i am eager to start a topic on how to priest about this.
Edited by Shinbou on 08/12/2013 16:13 GMT
Reply Quote
The haste can always be reforged off to something more useful such as crit. Certainly, it isn't on my wish list and I would rather get my hands on the Siegecrafter trinket so that I have more flexibility with my mana when two healing or can start switching out to crit / mastery pieces.

If all you are doing is firing out an Atonement rotation and you are part of a 25 man guild where your mana will be padded by extraneous sources then I can see the trinket being useful. Alternatively, you might be getting dragged along in a 50/50 healing and DPS niche.

Different circumstances and all!
Edited by Mianette on 08/12/2013 16:40 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Some of the haste can be reforged to crit, and crit is by far our strongest stat. I guess the spirit trinket could be useful if you could actually run a 3-4k spirit build, but with the gear from SoO that's almost impossible.

It's true the proc rate of the Black Blood is rather unreliable, but on some fights I've seen as much as 30% uptime. Granted, getting 900K+ pw: shields 10 secs into a fight is a complete waste (them shields are so big you wil never get your rapture), but from a dps pov that doesn't matter. Black Blood is still vastly better than any of the other trinkets (except Prison of Pride, of course).
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yes i guess it could be usefull on some fights and setups, and if you atonement alot. Tho with my amount of spirit in 10 man i feel safer with my current trinkets. I was just curious :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]