►► Account Hacked/Stolen? CLICK HERE! ◄◄

(Locked)

Customer Service
Please note that new forum posts regarding compromised accounts will usually be locked and directed to this thread. We ask that you read through the information here before posting new questions, as it should provide answers to the most common questions. The name and realm of one of your characters can greatly assist us in looking into your individual situation, but please do not post your email address or account name. Please also note that we will delete off-topic comments from this thread.

If you’re reading this thread it’s likely that your account has been compromised, and your items and gold stolen from it. Don’t panic! There are ways to restore the integrity of your account, and in most cases the restoration of lost characters, items, and/or gold is completely possible.

This thread has a lot of information that we recommend reading through in full, but if you prefer you can jump to the section that is most relevant to your account:

Please keep in mind that despite the fact that compromised accounts are considered to be one our upmost priorities, there is currently some delay due solely to a rise in malicious activity. We are working to address this so that we can return your account to as quickly as possible, and in the meantime we hope that you’ll accept our thanks for your patience.
Edited by Nephadne on 05/12/2010 17:49 GMT
Customer Service
Frequently Asked Questions

• What does the phrase ‘compromised account’ actually mean, and why is it important?
      We use this term to describe accounts that have been taken control of by someone other than the registered owner. Sometimes this is done for the purposes of acquiring the gold contained within, and other times it’s simply a disagreement between friends that have shared their login information.

It’s important to understand that common phrases such as ‘hacked’ are misleading and suggest that there has been some sort of all out ‘attack’ on your account, when in fact account details are usually obtained through websites and emails that pretend to be operated by us, or through the use of software downloaded to a computer that you use to play the game.

More information about how to spot and protect yourself against this kind of account theft can be found in the Further Reading (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#6) section below.

• My password seems to have been changed and I can no longer access my account.

• I have followed these instructions to retrieve my password, but have not received a mail. Did I do something wrong?

• How long does it take for Blizzard to reply to me/restore a compromised account?
      Our typical response time for dealing with compromised accounts has been considerably reduced in recent weeks and we continue to work on improving our efficiency in this regard. However, it may still take up to 5 days for us to complete our investigation and restoration.

• I get asked for an authenticator code when I try to login, what’s going on?
      This happens when the person responsible for the theft of the account uses a Battle.net Authenticator in an attempt to make it more difficult for us to assist you.

The truth, however, is that our ability to recover your account and reimburse lost items is completely unaffected, and the necessary steps remain relatively unchanged.

Should you find yourself in this situation, please follow the steps outlined in the Unable to Login (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#4) section below so that we can remove the authenticator for you.

• I contacted a member of the Customer Support team about my compromised account, but they locked the account! Did I do something wrong?
      In most cases when an account is compromised and reported directly to our support teams, we can reset your password and reimburse any lost property without the need to lock the account. However, in situations where we feel that the account is in significant risk of further loss, we may temporarily lock it so that your ownership can be properly verified. If this is the case, you should receive an email with further instructions.

If for any reason you don’t receive an email or you feel that your account has been locked in error (e.g. you’d already contacted us and had your account unlocked), please contact us using our support web form details of which can be found in the Unable to Login (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#4) section below.

• I’ve received an email from Blizzard telling me that I’ve been banned for ‘involvement in online-trading’ and/or ‘use of 3rd party software’! Why?
      Compromised accounts are, unfortunately, often used by those responsible for exploitation, such as advertising or ‘farming’ for gold. These mails and the subsequent suspension are part of our preventative measures, and prevent further damage to your account. The only way to gain access again is to speak to us first, something you will likely need to do anyway.

Rest assured that you will not be held responsible in these situations, and we will completely remove any warnings/suspensions once your ownership of the account and the circumstances have been verified.

• My friend is at work/school/etc, but their character is logged on! It looks like he has been compromised – is there anything I can do?
      Absolutely! Please submit a ticket to us in-game with the name and realm of your friend’s character, and any information you might have that could be useful. Additionally, you can help your friend by linking them to this thread for advice on what to do and who to contact.

• Our guild bank has been robbed! What do we do/who should make a ticket?
      Guild banks are reimbursed as part of the usual process of investigating a compromised account, and so we simply need the affected player to contact us as they would normally. It’s important to note that recovered items will be returned directly to the guild master, not the player that was compromised.

• One or more of my characters was transferred to another realm! Can I be moved back?
      Your characters will usually be returned to their original realms automatically provided that you did not willingly share your account details with a friend, for example. We recommend mentioning the fact that characters have been moved to other realms when contacting us, just to be absolutely clear that you wish us to investigate for you.

• I want to change realm/race/faction – will this affect my position in the queue or prevent reimbursement?
      You are free to change any of your characters’ race or faction or even to transfer them to other realms, and we will continue the investigation and reimbursement as normal. However, it’s preferable if you wait until everything has been returned to you before using our paid services.

• What’s Battle.net and how does it relate to why I can’t login?
      In mid-November 2009 we introduced our unifying account platform Battle.net (http://eu.battle.net/) and asked players to merge their existing WoW accounts into this new system. Essentially this replaces your old login name with your Battle.net email address and allows you to use a single address to access any WoW accounts connected to it.

In some rare cases, previously unmerged accounts are sometimes connected to the Battle.net account of the player responsible for the account theft, preventing you from merging it to your own and logging in.

Should you find yourself in this situation don’t worry; it’s something that we can help you to correct, and you’ll need to follow the steps outlined in the Unable to Login (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#4) section below.
Edited by Irylinne on 03/08/2011 11:56 BST
Customer Service
Securing Your Computer

Please understand that Blizzard takes all aspects of security very seriously, and to that end we have invested heavily into ensuring that compromised accounts do not originate from us. If your account is broken into, the explanation simply has to be malicious software (discussed in this section) or some form of phishing. Additionally, remember that sharing your account information with a friend or family members means their computer is a possible avenue of attack.

Accounts are often compromised through the use of software that covertly installed on your computer by those responsible. This software is known by many names, some examples being ‘keyloggers’, ‘Trojans’, or sometimes simply ‘a virus’.

It’s very important that you check your computer and any others than you use to access World of Warcraft for this possibility, as failure to do so will likely mean that the account is put at risk of theft again in the future.

Once you are certain that your computer is completely free of this software, please take a look at the steps outlined in the Unable to Login (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#4) section below.
Edited by Nephadne on 05/12/2010 17:54 GMT
Customer Service
Unable to Login

Before contacting us, please be absolutely certain that you’ve checked for the possibility of malicious software that could be used to obtain your account details again. Check out the Securing Your Computer (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#3) section above.

Many players find that they are able to recover their account simply by resetting their password, thus allowing them to access the game almost immediately and saving a considerable amount of time. This can be done through the Battle.net password retrieval page, found here:
http://eu.battle.net/account/support/password-reset.xml

If this helps and you’re able to login, consider jumping ahead to the Items & Gold Missing (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#5) section below. However, if you are not able to retrieve your password or find that you’re asked for an authenticator code that you don't have, continue reading.

Our account support team can usually help when you're simply unable to login. To contact them in these situations you'll need to use our Account Recovery Webform. This can be found by clicking on the Can't log in? link underneath your account name and password when trying to log into Battle.net. Alternatively you can click this link to take you to the direct page:

http://eu.battle.net/account/support/account-recovery.html

This will help you recover your account and begin the restoration of any missing items you may have. However the speed of the process is dependant on how many other players have also requested this service; there may be a perfectly normal period of several days before you hear back. Whilst you are waiting please do read through the Further Reading section below.

If this doesn't help and for whatever reason you're still not able to login to your account, please contact our account and payment support team directly by calling them:

Account and Payment Support
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article/contactbilling

[Guide] How to call Blizzard
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641450

Please be aware that there may be other circumstances surrounding your inability to log into the game. We would ask that you check the realm status page and your e-mail before filling out this form. It may be that the realms are down due to maintenance or that you are unable to log in due to other reasons than account compromise.
Edited by Irylinne on 03/08/2011 12:01 BST
Customer Service
Items & Gold Missing

If you contacted us through the web form or over the phone to recover ownership of your account, it’s highly likely that an investigation is already pending and no further action on your part will be necessary. If you have any questions though, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Once you are able to log into the game and access your characters, you will likely find that some or all of your items have been sold or destroyed, and that your gold has been taken. Please don’t worry! This is quite a common outcome of compromised accounts, and we are able to recover lost property in the vast majority of cases.

Simply open a ticket using the red ? icon along the action menu at the bottom of the screen, briefly describing the circumstances in the text box provided. From here our in-game support team will investigate the matter for you and attempt to reimburse all that was taken, including gold, items, guild bank contents and even deleted characters.

Once submitted, your help request will be placed in our queue and we’ll respond as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that we reply to help requests in the order that we receive them, and so there may be a perfectly normal period of several days before you hear back.

While waiting, please take a look at our Further Reading (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641512#6) section below.
Edited by Nephadne on 05/12/2010 17:57 GMT
Customer Service
Further Reading

By far the best way to protect your account is with a Battle.net Authenticator, available as a physical token or as a download for most mobile phones available in Europe. You can find out more in the following articles:

Battle.net Authenticator FAQ

Battle.net Mobile Authenticator FAQ

If you’re waiting for a reply to your email or ticket, or simply interested in finding out more about preventing account theft in the future, take a look at these support site articles that may be of interest to you:

*IMPORTANT* - Account Security

Computer and Account Security

Security Software

Protecting the citizens of Azeroth is extremely important to us. Our new Battle.net Account Security Awareness page (http://eu.battle.net/en/security/) provides helpful advice on what you can do to safeguard your computer, how to spot scams, and tried-and-true methods to help prevent account compromises.

Finally, remember that buying gold and/or power levelling services can severely impact the security of your account and lead to it being compromised. If that isn't enough to dissuade you all by itself, you might be interested in checking out the informational webpage that we put together to make sure players have the facts about the negative impact of purchasing gold and using power levelling services. Our goal is to shed some light on how these companies operate, share some of the measures we’re constantly taking to combat them, raise awareness of the detrimental effects these services have on all players -- not just the buyers -- and help protect members of our community from being targeted by them. You can find it here:
>> updated link coming soon! <<
Edited by Nephadne on 05/12/2010 17:59 GMT
Customer Service
̣
Customer Service
̣
Customer Service
̣
Customer Service
̣
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
85 Draenei Shaman
I figured i should post in here rather than making a new thread. I have activated something to gain free game time as this is the only account i have access to..

I quit the game in December 2009 to take a break until Cataclysm. Now i have returned my account has vanished. My email got hacked last summer and as i didn't play wow then it didn't cross my mind. However i reckon this explains why my account has been compromised as i had Blizzard send me confirmation of my CD Keys and removed my authenticator as i knew i'd lose it before i was ready to play again.

I have searched the armory and found some of my alts who have all their gear but haven't logged in since July. My main is nowhere to be found which suggests he has been deleted or migrated. :(

As it has been so long since i quit, and potentially months since my account was hacked, is there any chance of me getting my characters back? Just wanted this cleared up before i started the recovery process.

Thanks in advance.

There is every possibility that your characters (if deleted) can be recovered. If you have control of your account then you should submit a ticket straight away detailing the character names, classes and realms they were on. If you do not have control of your account you should submit a webform as per the instructions in this sticky.

Please be aware however that the longer the length of time that the character has remained deleted, the less likely that the character can be restored to its original condition (i.e. gear and gold).

If your email was compromised, I would strongly recommend setting up a new one PURELY for wow with a provider such as Gmail, you can use the webform to request your account email change, but if you do have control of your account you can do this via battle.net:-

http://eu.battle.net

Lastly, attach your authenticator and leave it attached. If you do lose it, there are ways of having it removed via Accounts & Payment Support (After your ID has been verified), so removing it for the sake of the potential loss of it does not outweigh the security it provides you.

I wish you all the best in getting this resolved. Contact details for Accounts & Payment support are below, but do feel free to ask any other questions you need to here.

Account and Payment Support
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article/23210

Webform
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/webform.xml

7 Troll Mage
My account was hacked 2 weeks ago, and its still locked, ive tried to do the automated recovery for the 2nd time, ive sent off emails and no response, Ive tried calling eu support and cant even get into a que to speak with someone. I am playing a new account now, and im so angry that I have to start again and I dont have time to lvl all the way to 80 again before cata comes out :(
90 Night Elf Death Knight
i have a authenticator on and my battle.net account got hacked. is it possible they have hacked my in-game account too?. i did get like 20 emails from battle.net about some stuff was changed.
90 Troll Shaman
Between 1st of december and 5th of december my account got compromised as well. The hacker sold all items from my main 4 characters and took all gold, except 20-30 silvers each. Also, weirdly, my shaman was respecced from elemental to enhancement and got HS set from Dalaran to Thrallmar. As if the hacker decided to play a bit with my shaman for some reason. This makes me think the hacker was not very professional about it. If thety wanted the gold, they'd taken it and not waste too much time on it, risking detection, IMO.
Blizzard got me my lost gold and items back very quickly, but I am still worried.
First of all, I never share my information with anyone. So nobody could have known my password, except by a keylogger or something like that. I only ever login to battle.net and WoW on this one PC at home.
As recommended I scanned the PC with McAfee and a process scan. But also with Symantec, Aviva, antiSpyware and malwarebyte. None of the programs could detect any virusses, trojans or keyloggers.
Also my network router is on a strict firewall, and I of course have windows 7 firewall active to protect my PC.
If I had found anything and removed it, I would have been reassured. But now my account got hacked, someone stole my gold and sold everything that could be sold, and I don't know how they got in. So I also have no idea how to better protect my account. Beside firewalls, virus scanner and malware scanners, what can I do to protect myself? Did I overlook anything?
90 Night Elf Death Knight
06/12/2010 12:57Posted by Zuzaba
Between 1st of december and 5th of december my account got compromised as well. The hacker sold all items from my main 4 characters and took all gold, except 20-30 silvers each. Also, weirdly, my shaman was respecced from elemental to enhancement and got HS set from Dalaran to Thrallmar. As if the hacker decided to play a bit with my shaman for some reason. This makes me think the hacker was not very professional about it. If thety wanted the gold, they'd taken it and not waste too much time on it, risking detection, IMO.
Blizzard got me my lost gold and items back very quickly, but I am still worried.
First of all, I never share my information with anyone. So nobody could have known my password, except by a keylogger or something like that. I only ever login to battle.net and WoW on this one PC at home.
As recommended I scanned the PC with McAfee and a process scan. But also with Symantec, Aviva, antiSpyware and malwarebyte. None of the programs could detect any virusses, trojans or keyloggers.
Also my network router is on a strict firewall, and I of course have windows 7 firewall active to protect my PC.
If I had found anything and removed it, I would have been reassured. But now my account got hacked, someone stole my gold and sold everything that could be sold, and I don't know how they got in. So I also have no idea how to better protect my account. Beside firewalls, virus scanner and malware scanners, what can I do to protect myself? Did I overlook anything?

i had a keylogger and a trojan, can it hack into wow still if the authenticator is on?
90 Orc Warrior
i have a problem,
my second account was stolen and with the account my e-mail was also stolen...
i have forgotten my secret answer and i no longer have the original boxes(which contain cd-keys)...
i know all other info about the account like characters, skills, and ofc credit card number with which the game is payed...
how to get help from blizz since on the web forums they always ask me cd-key or secret answer...
plz help...i want to play cata;)
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Same problem here, lost all my gold on all my chars!
As far as I've seen there were no items lost. Don;t know if it is a hack or a bug.
I hope Blizz can return me my gold.

55 Blood Elf Paladin
Posting this for my husband as his account has had it’s communication ability disabled.

Character name: Caddell
EU Server: Earthen Ring

I don't think I've been hacked at all, but my account has been suspended.

Last night we had a power surge and my router reset. Tried logging in to WoW and got a message to change my account password. Did this and no problem, I guess the blizz software got confused with another IP cos my ISP uses dynamic IP's.

When trying to log in this morning I find I can't and an email saying "We have reason to believe that your e-mail account has become compromised."

It has now been over 7 hours since I filled in the Account Suspension Inquiry webform.
I have supplied a new email address and security question. I already use an Authenticator.
How long does this take?

I have paid game-time, upgraded to Cataclysm (1 day use) and a race change (never used) so would appreciate something being done ASAP.
90 Troll Warrior
Hi,

A friend of mine wants to play wow again after a long time. However when he tried to merge the battle.net account with the wow acount he got the message:

'You cannot reset the password for this account because it is bound to a Blizzard Account'.

Can someone tell me wats going on? Is he Hacked? He hasn't played for almost over a year....

Character: Bruclee
Server: Twisting Nether

Yours Sincerely

Shade
Edited by Livingshade on 09/12/2010 10:50 GMT
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]