"Not enough disk space", but no download

87 Night Elf Hunter
Hi,

I'm a new WOW player, just bought the game the other week, digital download version on battle.net. I'm sorry that this is my first post on these forums, but....

Since I downloaded and installed the game, each time I start the game launcher and have less than ~4.4 gigs of free space on the hard drive the game is installed on, I get a message telling me that "There is not enough space to complete the download".

However, when I free up space and start the launcher again, nothing is downloaded
! Rather, "World of warcraft is up to date."

This is annoying since sometimes I may have stuff that fills up my free space which I don't really want to delete, but I still wanna play WOW...

Is there like a minimum requirement for free space on the disk in order for the game to be able to run, or is this a bug?

Please help, thanks~
Edited by Tamorilan on 22/11/2010 13:19 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
You need between 25 and 35 GB of HDD space for WoW at the moment.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
Haha, yes, thank you, I know that, I already have the whole thing installed. :)

But it still asks me to have an additional 4.4 gigs of free space for a download that never happens.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Thats space being reserved for Cata data most probably.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
But why would it ask me to free up space in order to complete a download, and then not download anything when I do free up space? It doesn't make sense.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
But why would it ask me to free up space in order to complete a download, and then not download anything when I do free up space? It doesn't make sense.

To quote someone 'To make way for Cata'
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
Hmm... I guess that is a possible explanation.

But why would the game launcher require free space to be availible for a future patch in order to even allow starting the game? That sounds pretty dumb IMHO.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Hmm... I guess that is a possible explanation.

But why would the game launcher require free space to be availible for a future patch in order to even allow starting the game? That sounds pretty dumb IMHO.

To make sure you have enough space to download/install.
Reply Quote
23 Human Warrior
Doesn't the game do background downloading? I get that little green radar thing showing up at the top of my screen while playing that says it's downloading new data.

Presumably WoW likes to have free space for ingame updates.

The other possibility exists that your harddrive is mildly corrupted, or you lack Virtual Mem or something temp directory space.

All depends on what OS you are running. This should also possibly be in the Tech Support forum.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Hunter
To make sure you have enough space to download/install.

But that's the point, nothing is downloaded or installed when I DO have enough space! Why would it require 4.4 gigs of space to download and install nothing?

Doesn't the game do background downloading? I get that little green radar thing showing up at the top of my screen while playing that says it's downloading new data.

Presumably WoW likes to have free space for ingame updates.

The other possibility exists that your harddrive is mildly corrupted, or you lack Virtual Mem or something temp directory space.

All depends on what OS you are running. This should also possibly be in the Tech Support forum.

Unfortunately the Tech Support forum is "currently read-only"..

I think background downloading is irrelevant to this issue, but yes, WOW supports that. Also I don't see how a corrupted hard drive could have anything to to with it..

---

My guess is that the launcher is stuck in some patch-download state and thinks that a patch needs to be downloaded and therefore checks for free space each time, even though there in fact is no patch to download. In other words, I think this is a bug. I have had problems with the installer for both WOW and SC2 never updating the patch notes shown when installing a new patch, so perhaps there is some file that is write protected that shouldn't be?

I'm running Vista btw.

Reply Quote
71 Draenei Priest
I understand your frustration...
I have the same issue at the moment. It tells me I need 582mb of room when in fact I have 4.3gb.
And the really annoying thing (and I'm sure this will shock and awe everyone reading this...)... I have no intention of loading cata yet or for the next few weeks.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be some blizzard mechanic to force people to get the expansion. I capped my xp at 71, months ago. I've played wow the full 6 years. I should be allowed the choice 'not' to load expansions should the desire take me. I have no desire to rush to 85, and like to take in the world in my own time. I haven't even fully explored Northrend yet, so with 30 spare minutes on a Tuesday morning, I'm a bit miffed that I can't go penguin spotting because of a non-existant patch that wouldn't benefit me yet even if it did exist!

I won't be deleting anything off my hard drive - I need it all for my work at the moment.
Lets hope they get it fixed soon.
For now, I can be patient...
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
The amount of free space you need is really insane, but it's the way it is. So clean up :)
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Priest
...ONLY if you plan on playing cataclysm, surely. I know it's a hard concept to take in... someone 'not' needing the expansion yet...
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
My game is using 23GB (cataclysm included) normally after few hours it would increase to 28-30GB and soon after that i would get error that i need more space. I did a little research and then i found a solution to this.
Go to your data directory and under this delete all files under cache directory.
Then go to properties of cache directory and delete all users from Security, so it cant be accessed from you or anyone else, this way you prevent from creating cache files, which increasing disk space that game uses.

By the way im running game from 32GB Flash A-DATA USB 3.0 disk.
Edited by Patrocinor on 07/12/2010 13:42 GMT
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hi,

The game will create localised cache on your system, so you will need to make sure you have enough free space available for the game to use when needed.

25GB is the minimum requirement for Cataclysm, so having at least an additional 10 or so gig that's unreserved would be helpful.
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Priest
07/12/2010 13:47Posted by Gelmkar

25GB is the minimum requirement for Cataclysm, so having at least an additional 10 or so gig that's unreserved would be helpful.

But...
I'm not really playing cataclysm - I'm playing wotlk with all the [unavoidable] updates and world changes.
How come there isn't some kind of work-around for anyone 'not' expanding yet.
Two days ago I was happily playing... and then today - nada. Why should I need a minimum drive space for something I don't want yet?
I'm sure when I'm ready to install it I'll look into the requirements, but as it is, I decided NOT to expand and wasn't aware that I'd still need to meet some game requirements. There should have been something on the launcher page perhaps?!

I'll make the extra effort of saving my current workload to disc to see if I can free the space - but grudgingly :p I shouldn't have to. On principal. And the fact that the previous poster said it didn't work makes me a tad nervous. Oh well. I can always repost.

/ sigh why do these things always happen on work/deadline-free days when I can actually play. If it's not patch/data issues, it's talent respecs, network provider problems or lag issues. I think I'm being shadowed by Sod and Murphy!

I need a good boss-kill!
/ boooo
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I have the same problems with Cata installed.
It looks as if the soft needs around 5 GB of extra disk space. If everything is installed but you do not have the extra space, the programme would not launch, which is annoying. I have an SSD for speed and, as they are very costly, mine is 64 GB. With W7 and WOW, I am left with a few GB of spare space (I have of course optimized the installation of Win7 for that).
My question is:
my wow folder is ~32 GB: which files could I spare (put them somewhere else) to save space? Or, conversely, which are the minimum needed files and folders to run wow?
We have data folders and update forlders and so on: can't I move some of these on another drive?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]