Can this run WoW at ultra easily at 80 fps 25 man raid?

90 Human Hunter
OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 2.6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1)

CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™ i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz

CPU SPEED:
3.22 GHz

SYSTEM MEMORY:
4.23 GB

VIDEO CARD MODEL:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

VIDEO CARD MEMORY:
3.94 GB

VIDEO CARD DRIVER:
nvd3dum.dll

DESKTOP RESOLUTION:
1920x1080

HARD DISK SIZE:
1 TB

HARD DISK FREE SPACE:
980.23 GB (98%)

DOWNLOAD SPEED:
143.46 kB/s (1.1 mbps)

Ps, Could it run BF4 at ultra?
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
WoW will run very well, but asking for 80 FPS in a 25-man on ultra is unreasonable. Maybe reasonable for LFR, but not for normal and especially not for heroic raids.

25-mans have known performance issues, some of which were addressed with the last patch, but many of which will not ultimately be addressed until WoD when they change up how some classes work (believe it or not, some class abilities cause lag in raids), as well as with the decreased size from 25 -> 20.
Edited by Danellos on 20/12/2013 23:37 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
And what about running wow while leveling in WoD with the new models? Think I'll be able to run it at a decent fps?
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
20/12/2013 23:46Posted by Canco
And what about running wow while leveling in WoD with the new models? Think I'll be able to run it at a decent fps?

I would say yes. It should. But it is too early to tell.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Alright, thanks! :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Shu
I personally have a 680 and I don't even max out WoW graphics.

You can knock out great filtering with the 6"" cards but the shadows are going to hit your PC hard (down to 40-50 fps, noticable hit)

It's not really small indoor enviroments or spells that slow the cards down really - in all honesty you'll only drop 10 frames in a raid enviroment, However - If you're planning to use ultra shadows in 25 man raids however that IS a different story.

If you keep shadows at fair though, yeah, expect a solid 60-70. WoW does do large loads and that sometimes tanks fps too, WoW is a game that benefits being sat on an SSD for sure if you don't want fps decreases while flying over landscapes.
Edited by ßow on 21/12/2013 00:55 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
WoW is very poorly optimized when it comes to the graphical stuff, and I suspect it will be even worse with Warlords. Personally I am getting another graphics card when WoD comes out.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Monk
21/12/2013 00:59Posted by Chanen
WoW is very poorly optimized when it comes to the graphical stuff, and I suspect it will be even worse with Warlords. Personally I am getting another graphics card when WoD comes out.

Unless you also have a good processor to go with it getting a better card can be pointless because it might be bottlenecked, upgrading one piece does not guarantee a huge increase in performance especially in a very processor-bound game as WoW is. Personally I got a much larger performance boost in WoW in going from an i5 750 to an i7 4770k than I did when I swapped a GTX 570 for a 780. They've said that they're looking to improve performance in WoD, the issue right now is also the kind of numbers the combat engine has to crunch. And that part is going away.
Edited by Nyshae on 21/12/2013 01:08 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I'm estimating that that will handle medium-high settings well, at at least 30fps, in 25man WoD raids.
That's all you need imo.
You would need a more modern, overclocked processor for higher FPS and a better graphics card to handle ultra settings whilst retaining that fps.

21/12/2013 01:08Posted by Nyshae

Unless you also have a good processor to go with it getting a better card can be pointless because it might be bottlenecked, upgrading one piece does not guarantee a huge increase in performance especially in a very processor-bound game as WoW is. Personally I got a much larger performance boost in WoW in going from an i5 750 to an i7 4770k than I did when I swapped a GTX 570 for a 780. They've said that they're looking to improve performance in WoD, the issue right now is also the kind of numbers the combat engine has to crunch. And that part is going away.
Graphics cards are rarely bottlenecked much by CPUs in gaming, and WoW is very CPU intensive in comparison.
The item squish won't really help as numbers take roughly the same amount of time to do anything as long as they're less than 32 signed bits (which Garrosh's health on 25man HC was very close to if you add up the amount he heals himself...).
There are many optimizations to be made with WoW, although it does cope rather well with allowing entry-level PCs to do basic things such as quest.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Night Elf Monk
21/12/2013 02:15Posted by Chrissucks
Graphics cards are rarely bottlenecked much by CPUs in gaming, and WoW is very CPU intensive in comparison.

I meant as in, if your CPU is crappy/old upgrading the graphic card isn't going to help that much.

21/12/2013 02:15Posted by Chrissucks
The item squish won't really help as numbers take roughly the same amount of time to do anything as long as they're less than 32 signed bits

I'm just going by what they've said, that the combat engine was taking a battering due to the size of calculations. I'm really hoping they'll improve the engine in WoD as promised though, at any rate, whatever they have to do to manage it :p
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
WoW will run very well, but asking for 80 FPS in a 25-man on ultra is unreasonable. Maybe reasonable for LFR, but not for normal and especially not for heroic raids.

25-mans have known performance issues, some of which were addressed with the last patch, but many of which will not ultimately be addressed until WoD when they change up how some classes work (believe it or not, some class abilities cause lag in raids), as well as with the decreased size from 25 -> 20.

Normal and Heroic more taxing on your hardware than LFR..? What are you talking about? You are subjecting your hardware to the same things, there are 25 players throwing particles around, which is the environment that puts most pressure on your PC in this game.
And as for giving a proper answer to the OP, you will not run the game at 80 FPS in 25 man raids with that card, though it will still run quite well, the 660 is quite good for it's price.

I personally have a 680 and I don't even max out WoW graphics.

You can knock out great filtering with the 6"" cards but the shadows are going to hit your PC hard (down to 40-50 fps, noticable hit)

It's not really small indoor enviroments or spells that slow the cards down really - in all honesty you'll only drop 10 frames in a raid enviroment, However - If you're planning to use ultra shadows in 25 man raids however that IS a different story.

If you keep shadows at fair though, yeah, expect a solid 60-70. WoW does do large loads and that sometimes tanks fps too, WoW is a game that benefits being sat on an SSD for sure if you don't want fps decreases while flying over landscapes.

680 is more than powerful enough to play this game on Ultra settings, you have other issues if you cannot "max out" the game and play it in a smooth way with that card (smooth being 50-60 fps +), even in 25 man raids.

To those that have issues, I would recommend that you overclock your CPU if possible, it can give you a great performance gain depending on how far you go with it.
Also look at which addons you are using, some impact the performance more than you think, everything you do impact it, look at it that way.. No matter how small a change you make.
Reply Quote
37 Blood Elf Warlock

This really, for the graphics quality you get, and the stress which is put on the system, is ridiculous.

@op
You got a screen which supports 80Hz? Because having more fps then your screen can handle actually decreases the quality you see
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
I meant as in, if your CPU is crappy/old upgrading the graphic card isn't going to help that much.

I know this, my CPU will have no problem with it, it's more than enough for another card :)
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
21/12/2013 02:47Posted by Dethroe
Normal and Heroic more taxing on your hardware than LFR..? What are you talking about? You are subjecting your hardware to the same things, there are 25 players throwing particles around, which is the environment that puts most pressure on your PC in this game.

Largely because different things happen in LFR as compared to normal and heroic in the background contributing to lag, which is fairly common knowledge.

Considering that I am a person who raids heroic 25-mans, I think I know what I am talking about.

21/12/2013 02:47Posted by Dethroe
And as for giving a proper answer to the OP, you will not run the game at 80 FPS in 25 man raids with that card, though it will still run quite well, the 660 is quite good for it's price.

... isn't that basically what I said with my first sentence? :s
Edited by Danellos on 21/12/2013 10:13 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Noone can say if it'll run the game as well as it should. For example, I upgraded my setup not even 1 year ago with graphics card and processor and more RAM, and the game ran as I wanted it to...then they added a patch, 5.4.1, and now I've lost a lot of FPS in many areas + the game runs overall poorly.

They make changes constantly and what looks nice on paper or even overpowered for this game, might not always give you the performance you expect.

Sucker as I am, once WoD comes I'mma update my setup AGAIN. Perhaps it is best to wait with upgrading until WoD and the new models come out, to see the reality of things?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight

Largely because different things happen in LFR as compared to normal and heroic in the background contributing to lag, which is fairly common knowledge.

Considering that I am a person who raids heroic 25-mans, I think I know what I am talking about.

... isn't that basically what I said with my first sentence? :s

Clearly Danellos, you do not know what you are talking about regarding this subject.
We are talking about the pressure being put on hardware here, of course there are major differences between LFR - Normal and lastly Heroic modes, but they are things like difficulty, mechanic's and loot quality (and of course some bosses/phases only being available on these difficulties). As for the amount of pressure being put on your hardware, it is the same across all three modes (your computer does not suddenly start crapping itself because of these things, it couldn't care less, what it cares about are things like the amount of particles flying about, amount of players in your vicinity etc).
The difference is only in if you are doing 25 man or 10 men. I have no idea where you got the idea that Normal and Heroic modes put more pressure on your hardware, what is your reasoning behind this claim?? You raiding either Normal or Heroic has nothing to do with this, you do not seem to understand why said scenarios are taxing on hardware, which is the problem here.
Do players participating in LFR not cast as many spells, and thus do not generate the same amount of particles?? Do they use less addons? Please explain your thoughts, simply saying "which is fairly common knowledge." is simply ridiculous. As is your statement "Considering that I am a person who raids heroic 25-mans, I think I know what I am talking about." as though it gives your argument some kind of weight that you raid Heroic modes, it does not in this case.
If you do LFR I guarantee that you will get the same performance as you get when raiding Heroic. This is of course if everyone in the raid is actually participating, if there are afkers doing nothing then that can of course increase your fps in LFR, but I was speaking from the viewpoint of everyone being equally active as if they were doing Normal or Heroic (I realize that this might be wishful thinking) .

As for the other thing you said, I said "as for giving a proper answer to the OP" because you claimed that he would not get the same performance in Normal or Heroic mode, as he would in LFR, this is simply false. It is not possible for him to get 80 fps on Ultra in any of the difficulties, it is not more "reasonable" to believe that he would get 80 fps in LFR, as you claimed.
After that I simply answered his question, and we both agree that he will not achieve such a high fps with said hardware.
Edited by Dethroe on 21/12/2013 11:13 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Dethroe, normal (or flex) and heroic modes have more abilities and mobs tied to the encounters which would affect performance.
There is no way a 10man heroic raid would lag more than LFR though.
While you are correct, you've over-reacted.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Its not only about mechanics/amount of mobs and graphical effects as to why 25 man heroic is more intensive on the hardware. Anything above a gtx660 is effectively a waste if your only playing WoW and intend to max it out, its the CPU being the real problem.

In a 25 man raid a lot more abilities is going out per second due to a generally higher level of play in most groups than in a LFR with numbers having to be calculated also being a lot higher. That is the reason to why hardware is being more stressed in 25 man raids, not due to particles and amount of mobs.

As for BF4, the GPU in the OP's package is too weak to run ultra in said game.
Edited by Thydia on 21/12/2013 18:30 GMT
Reply Quote
MVP - WoW, StarCraft II
90 Worgen Druid
At this risk of sounding like a parrot of the two posts above me, Dethroe, the reasons behind the extra lag experienced when gradually going from LFR 25 -> Flex 25 -> Normal 25 -> and Heroic 25 is due to the differences in what is actually going on in a raid throughout the encounters.

It has nothing to do with graphics or mob sizes. It has to do with the processing that is going on in the background. This is not a problem on some bosses (e.g. Immerseus), but it is a problem with a few others. Although, sometimes heroic mode bosses do have extra graphics effects that can contribute.

It is a combination of differences in boss mechanics and how people play their classes. In the background, I imagine that there is a lot more back and forth communication going on between player clients (due to higher level of play) and the server. This creates stress on the CPU, and considering that this game's engine was created in the era where CPUs were the biggest hype of them all, it does create some bottlenecks since the CPU is also dealing with elements outside these mechanics.

It really boils down to simple mathematics. Feel free to write another wall of text trying to prove me wrong. Also, although not at all related to raid difficulty, there is some input lag in 25-mans as well (caused especially by smart heals), which was acknowledged as problems by Blizzard. Although input lag does not contribute to low FPS, it does contribute to the overall laggy feel of a 25-man raid (which is experienced by all difficulties, but is more tolerable in lower raid difficulties).

I remember back in Cataclysm how there was a huge outcry over Ultraxion's lag issues in 25-man. He was laggy as hell on normal mode 25, and nearly impossible to play on heroic 25. Blizzard had to release a patch two weeks (or three?) later to address the lag issues that were experienced. It was hurting the progress of some guilds that were quickly progressing through heroics.
Edited by Danellos on 22/12/2013 01:58 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]