How To: Disable water elemental sound (US Re-post)

85 Goblin Mage
Found this on the US forums and thought it could do with being posted here what with lots of Mages speccing frost once again for levelling. It was definitely annoying me earlier today anyway.

Original by Nyteshade : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/970017166

Since it seems the old forums will be vanishing in the near future, it is time to migrate some of the more useful information over.

edit: Forgot to give credit to Stylo for the original post in the old forums.

If you are like me then you are being driven nuts by the constant glug glug glug sound!!!!

Well with very little digging I have found the sound file responsible for my torment, so without anymore babbling here is how you kill that annoying sound.

[NOTE THAT ALL FOLDERS AND FILES ARE CASE SENSITIVE!]

Step 1: File Structure

Go to your World of Warcraft/Data folder, check for a folder named "Sound" if no folder exists make one.

Now go inside the Sound folder you created (or if one already existed ) now you are going to make another folder inside Sound named "Creature" (If for any reason one already existed leave it) go into your Creature folder.

Now the last folder you will make will be "WaterElemental" Your folder structure should now look like this: World of Warcraft/Data/Sound/Creature/WaterElemental

Step 2: Creating the File

This part is extremely simple, open up notepad, go to file/save as, save the file with the name "WaterElementalLoop.wav", save it where ever you like (also you must put the .wav after the name).

Now just move your new wave file into your WaterElemental folder, enjoy!

Edited by Michaelb on 25/11/2010 01:44 GMT
Reply Quote
87 Human Mage
Confirmed. It works. Thanks!
Reply Quote
will try this, the bloody thing sounds like my belly after too much booze
Reply Quote
work for me too thanks
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
I dropped a custom wav on my friend's install when he wasn't looking so now the WE just loops the trolololo guy.

Well, I found it funny anyway..
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
This didn't work for me.
First my computer would not let me create a .wav file. When I finally did manage to create it, it did absolutely nothing.

The noise only stopped after I downloaded Mute Annoying WoW Sounds.
This 'addon" creates the exact same file but for some reason this does mute the Water Elemental, were manually making it or other "addons" did nothing.
Reply Quote
72 Gnome Mage
Whoever figured that one out is a genius. My W.E was driving me bat****crazy!
Reply Quote
Why do frost mages even have a WATER ELEMENTAL? Do they even need it? To me it just looks like a 'special' friend of the warlock minions.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
08/03/2012 08:05Posted by Rangarth
Why do frost mages even have a WATER ELEMENTAL? Do they even need it? To me it just looks like a 'special' friend of the warlock minions.

only good for extra freeze otherwise as frost i just keep the damn thing passive ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Looks like a thred necro, but the latest patch introduced OGG versions of the sound files and the previously used method is no longer sufficient to mute the bubbling sound. There's an archive of empty sound files on curse that allows you to mute many annoying sounds. That archive has been updated for the latest patch, so you can find a replacement file for the new water elemental sound in it:

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mute-wow-sounds
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]