102.4% after today

85 Draenei Paladin
Previously you aimed to get 102.4% total block or whatever the term was, last mini patch they made 15% of our talented contribution to that sum a cooldown and this patch it's completly gone.

Is it still possible getting close to this number, viable?
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
It is possible, but It requires you to be in near-full ICC 25 HC gear and sporting two reforged avoidance trinkets.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well i think that we are not able to get there, except maybe if you get the Full BiS gear. But as you can check i have some 277 Gear but i haven't be able to get over the 97% mark. And i miss alot of Expertise then.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
The EJ post about it gave the impression that it would be compensated by getting more block from mastery but I guess the values from just reforging mastery is enough.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
well my 102.4% became 106% in 4.0.3a. I had almost all items reforged to mastery, on ~ilvl264 tank gear. So...it is more than possible to get to that.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
well my 102.4% became 106% in 4.0.3a. I had almost all items reforged to mastery, on ~ilvl264 tank gear. So...it is more than possible to get to that.

Wrong. You also lost 15% from Holy Shield. so your 106% is actually 91%.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Well i think that we are not able to get there, except maybe if you get the Full BiS gear. But as you can check i have some 277 Gear but i haven't be able to get over the 97% mark. And i miss alot of Expertise then.

I just said that it's possible if you use two reforged avoidance trinkets.

Thre's also the new mastery food, though I haven't been able to locate any place where one could fish it. Also, there's Horn of Winter.
Edited by Kaaterina on 26/11/2010 14:40 GMT
Reply Quote
78 Draenei Paladin
You'll find that your block itself has risen because mastery is up from 2 to 2.25% per point but that still leaves you short compared to the old version of HS which gave 15% block.

What this means in real terms is that if you're not block capped you're going to be taking more full damage hits. The closer you are to the block cap, the less likely this will happen of course.

For example;
21 % dodge
21 % parry
36 % block
5 % boss chance to miss
(no longer 15% from HS)
------
83% chance to either avoid or mitigate the attack

102.4% total needed avoidance not to take full damage
-83% avoidance
-----
19.4% chance to take the full intended damage

As you can see you now have a 19.4% chance to get clobbered. Before the HS change this would have been a mere 4.4%

In the short time this is a massive kick in the backside for paladins. However as we see cata arrive and more gear itemisation with Mastery it will hopefully be easier for paladins to narrow this gap - even though Blizz have stated it's not a must to get block capped. The only reason it's so important at present is because boss damage had to be high due to the general design and implementation of wrath - they've learned from their mistakes (hopefully) and things will be different in cata.

The upside is that when you do block, you'll take 10% less damage so in the grand scheme of things it'll probably balance out somewhere near where it is at the moment in terms of overall damage taken/mitigated - although it might give healers a wake up call when healing their usual tank and he suddenly takes an unexpected spike.

Edit for clarity: Block used to reduce damage by 30%, this will now be 40%. A 50k hit would now hit you for 30k if you blocked it, whereas it would have hit you for 35k. However you now have a 15% greater chance to not block it.
Edited by Fixerus on 26/11/2010 15:08 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I never understood why the sum is 102.4% (no sense math) and not 100%.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
I never understood why the sum is 102.4% (no sense math) and not 100%.

Ever noticed how you tend to miss less and your attacks getting less dodged and parried when you fight a mob that's lower level than you? Same thing happens the other way around. Bosses are 3 levels higher than you, so they get a bonus against your parry, dodge, block and chance to be missed.

The 100% avoidance on your character sheet is calculated for a same-level opponent. Bosses are 3 levels higher than you, so you need an additional 2.4% avoidance to compensate for that.

More details here: http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=4&t=25714&rb_v=viewtopic

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Idd at the moment I'm 9.74% Avoidance Short, ofc i can change that with gems, so i can gem for expertise and reforge my legs to mastery but is it wise to do so?
Since our HP can handle 1 hit tbh...
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]