Warlocks best leveling spec in cataclysm...

80 Orc Warlock
Hey there.

So as everyone knows, it's 8 days untill the release of Cataclsym...

I have just joined back and am getting prepared for the big expansion...

Today I was wondering what would be the best spec... I was thinking affliction but then I really wasn't sure, thats why I'm here :)

Please post your opinion/views etc here =D

Thanks for your time

Decodez
Reply Quote
80 Undead Priest
all 3 lock specs are pretty awesome for lvling.

destro is quick burst, but the least survivability of all specs. best single target grind

affliction is slow dmg, but very reliable and can tank a few mobs on its own without the need for cds. u also get blueberry for setting up dots on mobs.

demo is good burst, insane survivability within demon form cd and also the most op aoe in the whole game: u can literally use 4 different aoe at the same time: fast grind. strong pet which can hold agro for some time and does op dmg.
Edited by Sháx on 29/11/2010 20:58 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Dont listen to priest.

Destro is not at all the least survival spec.

Other then that, level with what you want, every spec is good for that
Reply Quote
80 Undead Priest
lol it is.
there's no metamorphosis, no mega pet, there's no siphon life, no haunt.
it's awesome for single target dmg, but it is quickly overwhelmed by a few mobs.
there's always shadowfury and soul leach. but shadowfury is too short and soul leach is single target and requires casting. same with conflagrate + cd on it.
voidwalker can never tank for destro cos of quick burst ramp up.
like i said, destro is awesome for single target, but not grp.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
and besides. if stuff turns out as in beta, then trust me, you wont be able to handle 3+ mobs on you

but i simply love destro and gonna lvl with that
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
With destro you single target things down long before they reach you anyway.

Don't forget you still have fear to deal with adds.

I always found affliction annoying for levelling. Demonology and Destruction have always been my favourites.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
With destro you single target things down long before they reach you anyway.

Don't forget you still have fear to deal with adds.

I always found affliction annoying for levelling. Demonology and Destruction have always been my favourites.

Fearing mobs is generally a bad idea. They will almost always pull extra mobs.

How is affliction annoying to level? You can drain tank 3-4 mobs with no down time what so ever between packs.
Reply Quote
Affliction was my long time favorite for leveling. Until its self heal got nerfed to the ground. You can't just chain dot mobs anymore and keep yourself alive and barely survice more then 2 (cata) mobs. The only thing that is left for affliction is his ultra slow killing time.

That's why I'm using Destro for leveling now
Edited by Envý on 01/12/2010 12:04 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
thinking of going for a pvp destro kind of spec, for abit more survivability. Can see netherward being useful as well. And if we can't really take on more than 2 or 3 mobs at a time, i'd say affliction is not really that good of a spec to level as.
Will just have to see
Reply Quote
71 Gnome Warlock
Posting on the wrong character for some reason but I'm loving Demo levelling right now. Pre Shattering and 4.0 I loathed it and was an affliction die hard but getting the Felguard at low level now makes demonology so easy to level with.
You need to be a bit more on the ball with it and learn good pet control though because it's not like the old affliction builds where 5 mobs on you barely dented your health.
Plus you get dual spec at 30 now for 10g so you can easily spec into Destro for doing dungeons.

Having said that I haven't tried out Affi post patch so I can't comment on whether it's as good as it used to be.
Reply Quote
52 Human Warlock
Affliction was my long time favorite for leveling. Until its self heal got nerfed to the ground. You can't just chain dot mobs anymore and keep yourself alive and barely survice more then 2 (cata) mobs. The only thing that is left for affliction is his ultra slow killing time.

That's why I'm using Destro for leveling now

Affliction drain and Affliction is better DPS than Destruction in Cataclysm, good try though.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
I think that Affliction problems are highly exaggerated. I'm going to level affliction and I'm quite sure I'll be more than ok with it. A good proof I did yesterday - used quite some time for that and lots of deaths, but I did manage to solo alliance flight master - pvp lvl 85 elite with two elite 85 griffith and several low level mobs around him. Soulburn, soc at the start do beautifully against low level adds, Course of Exhaustion (on everyone) plus glyphed fear are really nice to CC flight master and griffith. Spread dots with glyphed soulswap - really love it. Stacked up hit over 19% (in order to make less misses on them, but still had a few), used demonic portal, summon infernals, and all of them died at the end while I was still alive...
Edited by Hrensgory on 02/12/2010 13:25 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
As the Afflic self healing is all HP based now it's got to be Demo until new Blue gear with Cata size HP then back to proper Afflic levelling :)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
As the Afflic self healing is all HP based now it's got to be Demo until new Blue gear with Cata size HP then back to proper Afflic levelling :)

Its base HP based - i.e. isn't affected by gears

Affliction have other strong sides now - and is definitely easiest kiter spec if you put point in Course of Exhaustion (one point from Life Tap to Course of Exhaustion works wonders) and glyph Course of Exhaustion (minor glyph).
Edited by Hrensgory on 02/12/2010 14:16 GMT
Reply Quote
52 Human Warlock
Affliction drain and Affliction is better DPS than Destruction in Cataclysm, good try though.

...which has what to do with leveling? If what you say is true, it still isn't burst damage, which is what destro has to kill mobs so fast.

It means exactly what it says, Affliction does more damage than Destruction. Mobs have a lot of HP in cata, which allows Affliction to ramp up properly.
Reply Quote
15 Tauren Shaman
Destro works very good in the two starting zones as your haste/crit is still high and mob health is low (about 30ishk). Immolate/chaosbolt/conflag -> dead mob. Really effective from 80-82/83. At 82/83 your haste/crit pummels and mobs get more health so affliction get faster. My "rotation" would usually be haunt/dots/ CoE/ soulswap run to the next mob soulswap/CoE run to the next mob and start all over again. CoE is really good when mobs get more healt and hit harder and you can basically kill 2/3 at once unlike destro.

Demo also works ofc, but i could not find alot of group quest or other mobs that needed the felguard.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]