So many spells!!!! help!!!

85 Night Elf Warrior
I'm been leveling my lock pretty much nonstop the last week, and I have to say that I'm enjoying the class extremely much. I do miss the ability to do a lot of burst dmg, but that will probably catch up later on and when the Destro spec is more down the tree.

There is one thing that's bothering me a lot, and that's the redicilous amounts of spells that locks can use in combat. I don't got every-single spell there is in the UI, only the ones were I find that there's a real possibility I may use it. I've even gone as far as considered making shift/click macroes to merge drain spells and armor buffs etc.

But how is it you guys are doing it? Do you just fill that UI up to the brink and don't bother that much about it? Or is it some spells that you just couldn't give a rats ass about considering using? Like, if you're a destro-pvp, do you really care about getting corr, curse and boa up?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Yeah it must be strange coming from a 5 button class.

Can you honestly say you've never used shift macros? That's just, wow.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Yeah it must be strange coming from a 5 button class.

Can you honestly say you've never used shift macros? That's just, wow.

u mad??
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Since almost all spells have the occasional use, pretty much all of them are on my bars. It just sucks when you actually have to use something quick and it's not on the bars. But I haven't keybinded them all. I just click the stuff with long duration/CD, such as Armours or Doomguard.

Necrosis is a nice addon you might wanna try. It will gather most of the non-combat spells (like summoning, stones, Unending breath, Eye of Kilrogg, etc) on a few icons, although I can't get it to work after 4.01.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Welcome to the most intens class in World of Warcraft!

Hope you get to master your spells and all, and see how enjoyable it acctually is, good luck!
Reply Quote
Indeed, Necrosis will save you alot of space so that you can put most of your spells on the bar since you will need almost all offensive spells. Keybind things you use frequently and then start add a new bind from time to time till you reach around 40-50. Messy at first but once you learned them all you will never want to go back to clicking.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I keep the spells I use most on familiar easy to reach keybindings, and the spells I rarely use on further away and harder to reach key bindings. Some of my spells I just click when I need them (like summoning portal, health stones, demons, that kind of thing), the rest I've actually keybinded as I use them regurlarly and I hate to click my spells.

But its all a matter of routine, you'll get used to spells being on certain keybindings and where to place the new spell. Have fun :)
Reply Quote
52 Undead Mage
At first I was amazed too having so many spells, when I tested Warlock at Cataclsym beta. At Beta I just put all spells on actions bars (using Bartender4 addon). Sadly I can't say better advice, because I tested warlock at beta few times and my warlock in retail realm is still at lvl 53, but you should check ForteXorcist addon. If Necrosis does all that what Prettyboyen said, then go for that addon, because ForteXorcist biggest job is help you track buffs, debuffs and all that kind of stuffs.
Reply Quote
6 Human Warrior
Currently playing as Demo and I'm finding the ammount of buttons slightly bewildering to my tiny uncoordinated hands. I can manage okay now, but I'm struggling to work out where I'm going to put Fel Flame in Cataclysm.

Actually considering buying a mouse with more buttons, though I should be fine if I actually get round to changing the movement keybinds to free up Q and E. If I do it when I start levelling I should be used to it by the time I reach 85, I hope.

Never really liked shift as a modifier, find it strangely uncomfortable to press. Alt is much esier for me to access, though it has led to many cases of hitting the windows key by mistake (which I've remedied by physically removing the windows key). Still accidently alt-tab if I try to switch enemies sometimes though. So I try to avoid modifiers altogether now.
Reply Quote
52 Undead Mage
Currently playing as Demo and I'm finding the ammount of buttons slightly bewildering to my tiny uncoordinated hands. I can manage okay now, but I'm struggling to work out where I'm going to put Fel Flame in Cataclysm.

Actually considering buying a mouse with more buttons, though I should be fine if I actually get round to changing the movement keybinds to free up Q and E. If I do it when I start levelling I should be used to it by the time I reach 85, I hope.

Never really liked shift as a modifier, find it strangely uncomfortable to press. Alt is much esier for me to access, though it has led to many cases of hitting the windows key by mistake (which I've remedied by physically removing the windows key). Still accidently alt-tab if I try to switch enemies sometimes though. So I try to avoid modifiers altogether now.

Don't know how many is using only number keys to cast spells or trigger skills. I use mostly Q, E, R, F, Z, X, C, V, B and G keys for my casting, and also number keys, but mostly using them for trinket(s), CD's and for other skills which I don't use all the time, but still near so I can cast spell / use skill when needed.
Edited by Satsuki on 01/12/2010 13:18 GMT
Reply Quote
6 Human Warrior

Don't know how many is using only number keys to cast spells or trigger skills. I use mostly Q, E, R, F, Z, X, C, V, B and G keys for my casting, and also number keys, but mostly using them for trinket(s), CD's and for other skills which I don't use all the time, but still near so I can cast spell / use skill when needed.

I'm using ` 1 2 3 4 5 r f v c x z and also scroll up/down and middle mouse button.

My hands are quite small (for a bloke anyway, but that's no excuse as chicks with hands the same size as mine don't claim they're disadvantaged), so (assuming I'm keeping WASD easy to access for movement) reaching 5 is just about managable. 6 and anything further to the right are a no go for me in combat, unless it's a situation where I haven't got to move at all. I'd find using G and B as you suggest a bit of a stretch too. Could manage them for long cooldowns I guess.
Edited by Loeb on 01/12/2010 13:29 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
For me (this is Demo):
1: Shadow Bolt
2: Incinerate
3: Soulfire
4: Corruption
5: Immolate
6: Empower Demon

(note: I move with ESDF)

Q: pet-attack/-passive macro
Shift+Q: petspecials, all in one macro

W: Soulburn
Shift+W: Harvest Souls

R: Hand of gul'dan
Shift+R: Metamorphosis, while in stance this turns on Immo Aura and then on further press leaps.

T: Hellfire
Shift+T: Shadowflame

Shift+#
1: Fear
2: Howl
3: Banish
4: Drain Soul
5: Drain Life
6: Drain Mana

Ctrl+#
1: Curse of Elements
2: Curse of Weakness
3: Curse of Tongues
4: Bane of Agony
5: Bane of Doom

Alt+#
1: Death Coil
2: Shadow Ward
3: Demonic Blink
4: Soulshatter

The rest is clicked. And yeah, 0 clue how to fit the new abilities. Well Fel Flame will go on 6 I think, not sure what to do with the empower. I might just move my Curses to mouseclicks entirely and move the stuff there.
Edited by Carrigan on 01/12/2010 13:33 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]