Nerve goldsellers!

20 Blood Elf Hunter
As you notice goldsellers are almost all the same: make a lvl 1 (orc warrior) walk to orgrimmar and spam every chat before deleting characters.
Always with a stupid nickname and like that.

So actually why not forbidding level 1-10 or so to use Trade chat?

(Alternate idea: Make Gamon agressive against lvl 1's... DEATH TO GOLDSELLERS!)
Reply Quote
80 Troll Druid
maybe because they are not only spamming the trade channel ?

they also /w you , with "hi Gulfistin how are you today ?"

and with this /w they brake anti-spam addons as well

or they ninja invite you to a group :)

you see they have many ways to do their "job"
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Hunter
Well atleast keeping one chat clear is already something, isn't it?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
So actually why not forbidding level 1-10 or so to use Trade chat?

What about legit player's low level who want to use Trade chat?

what about starting areas filled with bots who are killing everything in sight to get to level x+1?
Reply Quote
20 Blood Elf Hunter
Try even making up why a level 10- would use trade chat?
Trade Chat is useless for questions anyway, people dont take questions serious and only laugh at you in public.
Reply Quote
80 Troll Druid
excuse me but you are wrong and makes me wonder how long do you play this game , anyway to be honest yes there is this kind of attitude on trade , but not ALL of us mate , there are actually players that will help you if you ask something , and others that will lol at you , thats why ignore and report exists
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
My bank character uses Trade a lot to either sell items, buy items, advise what I've put on ah etc. I also try to help people who ask question's in trade if I can

So what about those bots?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Nah, that is not the way to go;

But would log of characters created be so difficult to set up? I mean there is an account, with it's ID. User creates the character, that character becomes logged under that account name, regardless of realm it joins.
Now spammer logs to realm, advertises, someone makes a screenshot, ticket, GM checks the log and bans the account - seriously, is it so hard to do? They would quickly run out of hacked accounts and I doubt they could afford buying new licenses; I kinda suspect that while officially fight it, Blizz is somehow benefits from those rogues :|
Reply Quote
80 Troll Druid
and why blizzard hasn't open in public the gold selling and they just let those spammers go on mate ? If they wanted to make money they could say "buy 100.000 gold for (yournumber) amount of money if you want to be epic" if they wanted they would have done it so far.

And also don't forget the trial accounts , it is not so hard to create one and start yelling or writing on trade you know
Edited by Gulfistin on 02/12/2010 14:18 GMT
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Nah, that is not the way to go;

But would log of characters created be so difficult to set up? I mean there is an account, with it's ID. User creates the character, that character becomes logged under that account name, regardless of realm it joins.
Now spammer logs to realm, advertises, someone makes a screenshot, ticket, GM checks the log and bans the account - seriously, is it so hard to do? They would quickly run out of hacked accounts and I doubt they could afford buying new licenses; I kinda suspect that while officially fight it, Blizz is somehow benefits from those rogues :|

They can see what account a character belongs to, even if the character is deleted. They don't accept screenshots they just need the appropriate date/time/name etc (which report spam does).

They do ban account's that gold spam, they won't run out of account's that are hacked because to many player's don't take responsibility for their account security.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Gold sellers are usually very poor people, that do everything in their real life powers to get the job done.

The gold sites are still up. Blizzard said they closed one down. While they told that 4 opened up.
So it's useless, they find a way. Or they hack your account and use their lvl 80 characters to spam.

So the whole lvl 1-10 chat block is stupid. Especially lvl 1- 10's have extra questions, and need the chat more than anyone else.

Or the gold sellers lvl them to 11. Since that takes a mere hour to get.
trail accounts can't use the trade channel, or trade at all.

but they can whisper. So you could limit trail accounts so badly that people who actually try the game, think this is normal and quit very fast.

They are invincible. They spam you, and they will keep doing that unless Blizzard commits suicide and blows up the entire world, and push the Kill *.* button. That will kill the gold sellers along with everything else. That would work. But it won't happen :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
They do ban account's that gold spam, they won't run out of account's that are hacked because to many player's don't take responsibility for their account security.

But that's just bullsh*t. If they have access to the log of chars created for the account AND they don't ban the account, why do goldsellers need to roll new random toons all the time? I mean, what's the point? And while we are at it - one line added to EULA, saying something like 'advertising any in-game currency and items sale for any goods outside of the game will result in ban/suspension'. Then first offence 4h ban to the whole account, second 7-day with right/no right to challenge, 3rd - indefinite - job done. As for account security - believe me, there is only -this many- players completely oblivious to common scamming techniques. I bet the accounts used by goldsellers are the same all the time. If they would be locked after 1/2/3 spam tries, they would lose huge numbers way quicker then they could attain new.

Sharing the account is other thing and comes down to trust - I personally would consider giving my login details to a good friend from RL, not to someone I know from game only - and I would have only myself to blame if someone would use my account for evil ;)

and why blizzard hasn't open in public the gold selling and they just let those spammers go on mate ? If they wanted to make money they could say "buy 100.000 gold for (yournumber) amount of money if you want to be epic" if they wanted they would have done it so far.

I didn't mean they benefit DIRECTLY - rather by traffic, advertising etc.; also goldsellers have to buy and register some number of copies. And "buy 100.000 gold for (yournumber) amount of money if you want to be epic" contradicts the whole idea of the game - they would lose huge number of players who put loads of effort in getting the same result.

I agree with the trial accounts, but they could be restricted to prevent anything in that field - such account is about giving the newbie the idea of the gaming experience, and running around, doing some questing and killing mobs + tutorial is enough for that IMHO.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
If they have access to the log of chars created for the account AND they don't ban the account, why do goldsellers need to roll new random toons all the time?

Where did i say they don't ban accounts? They do ban accounts.

The Gold sellers make random character's for a number of reasons:
The account doesn't have character's on that realm (or not enough).
By making random character with long silly name and spamming, they can then try and delete the character before the account get's banned.

Now the account is still banned but as the character was deleted first that name is available again and can be used on a new random character. This gives the impression reporting them does no good. Even if it doesn't work the names are so random that a similar one will likely be mistaken for the name used earlier

There are many player's who are unfamilar with scam techniques or basic account security. I've seen enough of them posting around here (including old forums) asking for help, as well as people who get their account's back complaining they are banned for gold spamming.

So they do ban, no matter what you might think.

The ToU already includes notice that advertising in chat channels is against the rules. It already leads to suspensions/bans (frequently starting higher up the chart than a simple 3h).

Account sharing is not a matter of how much you trust someone (and their own pc security). Account sharing is a matter of it being against the Terms of Use. It is strongly advised you actually read this document rather than blindly clicking that you agree to it.

At the very very least you should be familar with the Termination of Service document which highlights some of the "key" points of the ToU.

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/legal/termsofuse.html
http://www.wow-europe.com/en/legal/termination.html

For closing down websites:
They successfully closed down a big american based gold selling company that was pretty much a plague on the US server's. However the nature of international laws and the Internet means it's impossible to get most of them who operate from countries with differing laws and limits on cooperation Blizzard could get.

Trial accounts are already restricted from trading, auctions, mailbox, chat channels and whispers so I'm not sure what further restrictions you are suggesting.

If gold sellers do "have" to buy and register a certain number of copies of the game it's not likely to be many they can just use mostly stolen ones. The one's they do use they likely keep well away from any suspicious activity to reduce the risk of them being banned.

Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
No, sorry, you get a whisper, mail or see chat spam about gold - report [maybe some tool is needed], ban, next; you ban by account ID, whatever it is - they won't be able to keep up harvesting the accounts, if they will have to plan their spam.

Closing donw websites is like fighting with windmills - it's enough that the company is registered in some country, where the law you are trying to enforce is non-existant and you can't do squat.

But they have full control over what's going on when people log in - if there will be no advertising in there, only really desperate people will go and look for the gold online - few trap sites and many of those can also be sifted out.

So - registered accounts get banned as soon as they mention gold selling and trials either removed, or made by invitation only [with person inviting being full paid and responsible for that person], OR allowing trials, but allowing them to /w only people who will add them to friends (or something along these lines).

To be honest - I don't care for it - on a bad day Trade is so poluted they are not making much difference. And if Blizz are not making uprooting them their priority, why should anyone care?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
No, sorry, you get a whisper, mail or see chat spam about gold - report [maybe some tool is needed], ban, next; you ban by account ID, whatever it is - they won't be able to keep up harvesting the accounts, if they will have to plan their spam.

They already do ban accounts like that. They do not ban just character's. If a character spams gold adverts the account gets banned.
That tool already exists. it's the report spam tool. It basically reduces making a GM ticket that includes the relavent name, channel, date, time and message to a couple of clicks. It also ignores the account for you (until you relog) and with sufficient reports auto-removes the accounts chat/mail privilidges until a GM reviews the reports.

Yet they can still keep up with account's to spam with.

But they have full control over what's going on when people log in

The more control they exercise the more it affects innocent player's to enjoy the game. Accounts are banned when reports are received and reviewed.

So - registered accounts get banned as soon as they mention gold selling

This already happens when they are reported and reviewed by a GM. If you mean an auto ban when it's mentioned in chat.. oh joy imagine the false positives while the gold spammers use a few stolen accounts to test what's triggering the auto-bans and alter their adverts.
OR allowing trials, but allowing them to /w only people who will add them to friends (or something along these lines).

This is already how Trials work. They cannot use mail, they cannot use trade, general or other public channels. They cannot whisper (unless someone has already added to their friends list). Trial accounts are not the source of chat channel spam. It is stolen accounts.

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]