System requirements in Warlords of Draenor.

90 Human Priest
Hi.

Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?) in WoD, will we need more "bang" in our computers?

Currently I am playing on a more than 5 years old machine with a Radeon HD4870 512MB (GPU) and a
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 6MB (CPU) and I am quite satisfied with it's performance in 10-mans, LFR and flex (13-14).

However, I am quite useless on Ordos and Sha since my frame rates dips to 1-10 FPS.

Will the new models cause even more problems in world bosses and even in regular raids?
Shall I start looking for a new computer or should I stick with the one I have?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Since you are already going as low as 1 to 10 FPS, I'd suggest you to start at least save-up the money for new, more powerful computer. The new models won't be far from current Pandaren model-quality, so try to imagine if you'd have 10 to 40 Pandaren running around in a raid.

But luckily for you, you can disable the new models and play with the old ones if you want to.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
i would definitely get rid of that but it depends entirely on what expectations you have. c2d e8400 was the value option when i got my previous cpu which was an i7 920 and i recently got rid of mine for a 4770k. if i'm not the mistaken, the c2d ipc is really bad and in a game as cpu-bound as this, you're not gonna be having a great time. the 4870, again, was a great option back then, but it's extremely weak today. i would sell off your things (though i wouldn't expect to get too much for them) and look at picking up a new cpu (preferably an i5, either something cheaper like a 4440, a 4570s if your psu is weak or it's cheap or a 4670k if you wanna oc, but then you'll need a z87 board as well as some kind of reasonable cpu cooling solution like a cooler master hyper 212 evo, along with new ram, probably 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 and a motherboard) as well as a graphics card and an ssd if you think you can afford it. perhaps you can keep your psu, case and hard drive. if your psu is particularly weak, the 750 or 750ti are great options because their power usage is extremely small.

that all being said, i don't have the same requirements as you and as such i have a more powerful computer. your opinion may differ and you may not want high framerates or high graphics. i wouldn't expect wod to be much more taxing than mop after the massive jump in system reqs when mop launched and them saying that mop was "pushing the engine as far as it can go".

i'd also like to add that my i7 920 was not adequate at stock (2.66) but it was almost good enough at 4.2, though i had to run it at 1.5 vcore to achieve that, so it was very hot and it wasn't a brilliant long-term solution. you might be able to significantly improve your performance by giving your cpu a proper oc (the stock cooling is never adequate for that, though).
Edited by Retier on 11/03/2014 08:55 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
It's not just character models that will affect system requirements:

Q: Will there be any updates to the graphics and changes to the minimum system requirements?

Yes—we’re planning a number of tweaks and improvements to the graphics engine in this expansion, including some updates related to the upgraded player characters and the introduction of the Garrison. We’re also looking into updating other existing systems with an eye toward improving graphical quality and performance. We’ll announce the exact system requirements closer to the expansion’s release.

and from a dev interview:

"So we won't really know absolutely until some point through the beta. We're keenly aware of the system requirements the new character models may require, and how that could impact client performance. No further details yet on how they'll be supported on lower end systems, if at all."
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks guys!

I will start to look for a replacement for my old computer then. I'm glad I asked this before the actual release of WoD. Now I got plenty of time:)

Thanks again for your help with your advices and thoughts:)
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Worgen Warlock
11/03/2014 08:47Posted by Alziena
Since you are already going as low as 1 to 10 FPS, I'd suggest you to start at least save-up the money for new, more powerful computer. The new models won't be far from current Pandaren model-quality, so try to imagine if you'd have 10 to 40 Pandaren running around in a raid.

But luckily for you, you can disable the new models and play with the old ones if you want to.

Indeed. The new models as individuals might cause you some minor animation problems but in a 25-40 people you'll notice a difference. In a city, it could either be 'a tad noticeable' or it could be Hellish. I'd still save up for that computer though.
Reply Quote
Community
11/03/2014 08:43Posted by Maideen
Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?)
Yes.

However, I am quite useless on Ordos and Sha since my frame rates dips to 1-10 FPS.

Will the new models cause even more problems in world bosses and even in regular raids?
It's hard to say exactly, many things can influence performance.

Remember that characters aren't (usually) naked inside raids, which means that most of the polygons and textures being drawn and rendered aren't exclusively attributable to player models, but also to armor.
On top of that, raids have their own surrounding geometry, bosses, etc... and all that adds up in the end. Obviously, new (more detailed) models means slightly more processing power is required, but new models aren't the only big change coming to WoD.

We are also applying a squish to anything related to stats; this means that in certain situations, there might be some performance improvements, especially when it comes to addons that process combat data.
More importantly, we are reducing the amount of visual clutter that currently fills every fight where a lot of players are involved.
Less sparkly stuff flying around means better video performance for everyone.

Client performance is something we care about a lot. It doesn’t matter how well-designed an encounter is: you aren’t going to have fun raiding at 8 FPS.
We want everyone to be able to enjoy playing with the new models, and our dev team is working hard making sure that WoW is as resource efficient as possible in order for that to happen.

That's a hard question to answer.
I'd say that you shouldn't be worried about any big drop in performance; things will most likely remain very close to what you are experiencing right now.
So if you're satisfied with what you have right now, then there shouldn't be any need to change anything.
Edited by Taepsilum on 16/04/2014 09:41 BST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
14/04/2014 16:24Posted by Taepsilum
More importantly, we are reducing the amount of visual clutter that currently fills every fight where a lot of players are involved.
Oh thank god. I love a lot of animations, but when all of them happen in full-scale all the time you can't see them anymore. Nazgrim HC fight I even had trouble just seeing where exactly the Heroic Leap soup was with all the ground effects and stuff flying about.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Since a Blue Post necromantically reanimated this thread;

Wait, you might not need to replace anything at all. What settings you're using, how many addons you have? If you're fine questing in Pandaria, it might not bother you at all. Have you ever tried lowering your settings while Raiding? Because you usually don't need Sunshafts, High Quality Water, Shadows or Dense Particles in Instanced or Sandbox Raids..
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
I would wait until WoD actually comes out before making a decision about buying a new computer. You can start having a look around and see where you can get the best for your money and then while playing WoD you can quickly swap if you feel it's necessary.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Bear in mind that there will be a whole load of new Haswell chips released in a couple of months - prices of the existing ones should fall as shops clear their old stock.

One of the new chips will be an overclockable dual-core Pentium, which may be of interest if you can't stretch to a quad-core (i5 or i7).
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
14/04/2014 16:38Posted by Evangelià
I would wait until WoD actually comes out before making a decision about buying a new computer. You can start having a look around and see where you can get the best for your money and then while playing WoD you can quickly swap if you feel it's necessary.

This is exactly what people should do.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

Remember that characters aren't (usually) naked inside raids, which means that most of the polygons and textures being drawn and rendered aren't exclusively attributable to player models, but also to armor.
On top of that, raids have their own surrounding geometry, bosses, etc... and all that adds up in the end. Obviously, new (more detailed) models means slightly more processing power is required, but new models aren't the only big change coming to WoD.

this means get engineering and http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/40895 and it drops lag
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Thanks for the input everyone!

I've decided to play on this computer over the summer and then buy a new one a couple of weeks prior to the release of Warlords of Draenor.

I guess it is impossible to estimate how well a specific computer spec will perform in a game that haven't even launched yet.

By the end of this year my current setup will be 6 years old so it might be time for a new one anyway and Warlords of Draenor makes this decision even easier.

14/04/2014 16:56Posted by Francess
this means get engineering and http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/item/40895 and it drops lag

I will have a hard time playing with those if there is any players of the new female Draenei model in the raid.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Night Elf Monk

Given how sparkly-shiny-cloudy-overwhelmingly-morethingswithy fights were for melee in raids since around Cataclysm I'm really hoping this will deliver :(
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
It's kind of funny that in wow's life time it has burned through 2x 1200 euro pc's that at their end had difficulty running the game smoothly. It's ironic considering WoW is based on an very old engine and has older graphics (still pretty thanks to the style!).

History:
WoW released, I waited 3 months with buying becauseI wanted tot play it with my new 1200ish euro pc.
And in august 2008 I bought a new pc that was than replaced 6 months ago. In a test before it got replaced I had trouble flying through Terrokar forest (10-19 fps, with even spikes much lower).

Ofcourse their is something to be said about the engine making good use of your system, but it's still funny.

PS @op, my old system had the same graphic card :P
Edited by Taelon on 14/04/2014 19:09 BST
Reply Quote
Yes, if you set your graphics quality to Low.

That's interesting. I thought we would have a "Toggle On/Off" option for this and not through the system settings. The point is.. some people might prefer the old models but if they set their graphics to low it won't only affect their models, but the environment aswell...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?)
Yes, if you set your graphics quality to Low.

It's hard to say exactly, many things can influence performance.

We are also applying a squish to anything related to stats; this means that in certain situations, there might be some performance improvements, especially when it comes to addons that process combat data.

Client performance is something we care about a lot. It doesn’t matter how well-designed an encounter is: you aren’t going to have fun raiding at 8 FPS.
We want everyone to be able to enjoy playing with the new models, and our dev team is working hard making sure that WoW is as resource efficient as possible in order for that to happen.

That's a hard question to answer.
I'd say that you shouldn't be worried about any big drop in performance; things will most likely remain very close to what you are experiencing right now.
So if you're satisfied with what you have right now, then there shouldn't be any need to change anything.
Good post, but I'd like you to stop spreading the myth that lower numbers mean better performance. This is very unlikely to be the case.

In terms of adding and subtracting the numbers themselves, there is always a binary addition of 32 digits for an integer no matter whether you're adding 1 to 3 or 2 million to 600,000. Doesn't matter. The only thing here that might improve is the typesetting of the numbers, but thjis is a trivial task. To put into perspective how trivial it is, a page could be typeset easily on 8MHz processors inside computers released in the 80'ies within just a few seconds. Considering a modern CPU... yeah. Not gonna be a problem.

The main draw on performance in recent versions of WoW, as far as the CPU is concerned, is generally the button/action bloat. Nowadays characters do a lot more actions per minute than they did in earlier versions of the game for good or ill. This not only causes the server to lag at times, but it can also have severe impact on client performance because of the combat log.

The models are being upgraded indeed, but as you rightly point out the model upgrades are mostly optional. Personally, and this is just my personal guess, I think the system requirements for WoD will be higher; but only in terms of GPU performance. CPU performance requirements is likely to be lower due to the new file system and the ability pruning plus fewer people in raids. (20)

Also, please be careful about visual clutter. It can be very hard for you to determine what is clutter and what isn't, and it's quite likely some of us will want to see everything.
Edited by Ishayu on 14/04/2014 19:11 BST
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
14/04/2014 17:55Posted by Nyshae

Given how sparkly-shiny-cloudy-overwhelmingly-morethingswithy fights were for melee in raids since around Cataclysm I'm really hoping this will deliver :(

I hope this too. My old setup ( HD 4850 + athlon 64 x2 4600+ ) was able to run 25 man raids without getting unplayable fps, but with all the shiny cool effects we got in and cata and more so in MOP I was just a worthless player because I was getting 1-2 FPS, and I think all these fancy effects are the major problem here. I now have stronger components, but I still hope that with this change, the raids will be more easy on peoples computer, so that more people can raid again without getting unplayable fps, especially since mythic will be 20 man only, and now you can still get away with a somewhat crappy pc in 10 man.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
14/04/2014 20:05Posted by Dóriath
I hope this too. My old setup ( HD 4850 + athlon 64 x2 4600+ ) was able to run 25 man raids without getting unplayable fps, but with all the shiny cool effects we got in and cata and more so in MOP I was just a worthless player because I was getting 1-2 FPS, and I think all these fancy effects are the major problem here. I now have stronger components, but I still hope that with this change, the raids will be more easy on peoples computer, so that more people can raid again without getting unplayable fps, especially since mythic will be 20 man only, and now you can still get away with a somewhat crappy pc in 10 man.
I actually think there are more problems than just performance with all the spell effects. They obscure the action and make it difficult to perform your role in extreme cases (including PvP) which is very frustrating.

I've made a habit of setting the Particle Density to Good instead of Ultra, even though I have a system that easily maxes WoW at 1440p. I just simply don't want that many particles.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]