System requirements in Warlords of Draenor.

90 Gnome Warlock
14/04/2014 20:16Posted by Ishayu
14/04/2014 20:05Posted by Dóriath
I hope this too. My old setup ( HD 4850 + athlon 64 x2 4600+ ) was able to run 25 man raids without getting unplayable fps, but with all the shiny cool effects we got in and cata and more so in MOP I was just a worthless player because I was getting 1-2 FPS, and I think all these fancy effects are the major problem here. I now have stronger components, but I still hope that with this change, the raids will be more easy on peoples computer, so that more people can raid again without getting unplayable fps, especially since mythic will be 20 man only, and now you can still get away with a somewhat crappy pc in 10 man.
I actually think there are more problems than just performance with all the spell effects. They obscure the action and make it difficult to perform your role in extreme cases (including PvP) which is very frustrating.

I've made a habit of setting the Particle Density to Good instead of Ultra, even though I have a system that easily maxes WoW at 1440p. I just simply don't want that many particles.

I agree with you on this aswell.

In PvE there are certainly situations where there is much going on visually, that it's hard to see what is actually going on. Take for example Siegecrafter (hc). There is so much fire going on around you, and so many flashes, and I sometimes have a difficult time actually noticing when someone gets targeted by the beam, because I can hardly see the beam or its effect on the ground with everything going on.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I just think that it is very touch and go whether your setup and the wow client agrees when in regards to 25+ players. it has to do with your hardware of course (as normal) but also it still seems to wildly vary between players with similiar setups for some reason.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Priest
14/04/2014 19:07Posted by Ishayu
Good post, but I'd like you to stop spreading the myth that lower numbers mean better performance. This is very unlikely to be the case.

In terms of adding and subtracting the numbers themselves, there is always a binary addition of 32 digits for an integer no matter whether you're adding 1 to 3 or 2 million to 600,000. Doesn't matter.

The point is that they are trying to keep the numbers confined to 32bit. If you go outside the range of a 32 bit integer (either -2.14 to 2.14 billion or 0 to 4.29 billion), either directly or as the result of arithmetic, then you need to start looking at 64+ bits. If Blizzard had to move up to 64 bits for numerical (non-floating point) data types then older systems which have 32bit registers could start to notice a slowdown.
Edited by Lumatar on 14/04/2014 21:57 BST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
14/04/2014 21:50Posted by Lumatar
The point is that they are trying to keep the numbers confined to 32bit. If you go outside the range of a 32 bit integer (either -2.14 to 2.14 billion or 0 to 4.29 billion), either directly or as the result of arithmetic, then you need to start looking at 64+ bits. If Blizzard had to move up to 64 bits for numerical (non-floating point) data types then older systems which have 32bit registers could start to notice a slowdown.
That is of course completely true, but we're already at 32bit, so staying at 32 bits won't improve performance, which is the point I was making. :P

It'll just keep performance the same.

What Takralus was saying was that squishing the numbers would improve performance in and of itself compared to the performance in MoP. What I said is that, if it does, it will purely be due to typesetting the floating combat text and nothing else.
Edited by Ishayu on 14/04/2014 23:50 BST
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Human Priest
14/04/2014 23:49Posted by Ishayu
14/04/2014 21:50Posted by Lumatar
That is of course completely true, but we're already at 32bit, so staying at 32 bits won't improve performance, which is the point I was making. :P

It'll just keep performance the same.

What Takralus was saying was that squishing the numbers would improve performance in and of itself compared to the performance in MoP. What I said is that, if it does, it will purely be due to typesetting the floating combat text and nothing else.

Yeah, you're correct in theory, although I do remember a post on the US forums, which I am currently unable to find, about issues on 32 bit clients with larger numbers causing lag issues. My memory of it is hazy though, but I seem to recall it being related to FPU issues on some 32bit systems. If I manage to find it then I'll get back to you. Otherwise feel free to just ignore this part xD

There is also the possibility that they are already using 64 bit integers to store numerical data, and the squish will allow them to go back to 32bit. It's impossible for us to say that it won't improve performance without knowing how their code currently works.

Oh and a minor point, it was Taepsilum, not Takralus :)
Edited by Lumatar on 15/04/2014 00:16 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
11/03/2014 08:43Posted by Maideen

Currently I am playing on a more than 5 years old machine with a Radeon HD4870 512MB (GPU) and a
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 6MB (CPU) and I am quite satisfied with it's performance in 10-mans, LFR and flex (13-14).

Ok the following might be off-thread but,

ever considered to overclock that cpu? My E8500 is running smoothly and stable at 3.8Ghz at barely 35°C, perhaps you could get more out of it. I also have a very similar gfx card, Radeon 4850 Toxic (o.c.) and the game still runs smoothly but, no matter what, I found out that what influences more my fps is the number of addons loaded, some are really heavy although I've 8gb of ram @1600mhz.
Nowadays I handle them with an addon called "Addon Control Panel" and I've made different sets for different situations (10m raid, pvp, ordos).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
15/04/2014 00:02Posted by Lumatar
Yeah, you're correct in theory, although I do remember a post on the US forums, which I am currently unable to find, about issues on 32 bit clients with larger numbers causing lag issues. My memory of it is hazy though, but I seem to recall it being related to FPU issues on some 32bit systems. If I manage to find it then I'll get back to you. Otherwise feel free to just ignore this part xD

There is also the possibility that they are already using 64 bit integers to store numerical data, and the squish will allow them to go back to 32bit. It's impossible for us to say that it won't improve performance without knowing how their code currently works.

Oh and a minor point, it was Taepsilum, not Takralus :)
FPU is a floating point processor, a part of the CPU. It does nothing to integers, so a bug in that could be a problem for client performance but the damage/healing number sizes aren't what causes it.

Integer addition in computers literally works like this, and it has worked like this since the 1930 and has never really changed: (If you already know just skip it)

If you add 2 numbers, it just performs an exclusive or on each two digits in succession from right to left. So if either of the two digits are 1 but the other is 0, you get one. If both are 0 you get 0. If both are 1 you get 1, but it also flips the bit on the next calculation such that it is negatived (result 0 becomes 1, result 1 becomes 0)

It flips bits in the result based on the two input numbers N times, where N is the binary length of the number, so for a 32-bit integer it does that 32 times. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course, it can't flip the 33rd bit, and will thus write nothing, which is what we call overflow. For an unsigned integer the last bit marks the sign of the number; which can also be flipped by the algorithm. That's why a very large positive number can have an addition to it and suddenly becomes 0 or a very negative number.

And sorry Taepsilum. Why do both your names start with Ta? =(
Edited by Ishayu on 15/04/2014 01:14 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I don't understand any of the technical mumbo-jumbo - So I'll just pass time by sharing a little history from vanilla with my fellow "non-technical" geeks:

I used to raid in Vanilla, but my computer was so bad, that healing 40 people in the room with Dragon whelps in BWL would require me to stare down on the floor, zoom in, and then I would still have around 10 fps.

When the raidleader finished the raid by stating "To onyxia!" - we would portal to Ironforge, and then run to the flightmaster. My lag in Ironforge was so bad, that it would take me about 30 mins to run from portal room to flightmaster - I always ended up getting a summon :)

Don't even get me started on world pvp and AQ events... 200-300 people made the AQ event one still picture for me, untill our server crashed :)

Ah... good old days... *sighs happily*

- Alright - you may proceed with odd technical mumbo-jumbo now *nods*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

After reading through a lot of addon code, they often tend to work with strings rather than raw numbers. As you possibly know, the conversion between the two is cpu hard. Longer number indeed means (depending on implementation) at least linearly higher complexity if they are presented as strings. This, of course, could be avoided if addon authors had a better understanding of whats going on under the hood, but from what I've seen, few do.
Edited by Qoning on 15/04/2014 08:19 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I've noticed that AddOns such as Recount tend to be heavy on your performance, especially with the massive numbers flying left and right. Even on my machine, which handles Ordos at over 30-40 FPS with 40 people bashing it and using a vanilla interface, tends to drop to 15 or 20 fps with Recount on. (i5-4670K / Geforce GTX 760 / 8GB RAM / SSD)

I'm not sure if the item squish will lessen the load caused by such AddOns, but I do believe that the greatest performance 'threats' out there are AddOns in general. That, and the Shadows/Particle Density settings.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Good news I wont be replacing my 6y old pc then ^_^
Reply Quote
3 Orc Warrior
14/04/2014 16:24Posted by Taepsilum
Yes, if you set your graphics quality to Low.

This is false, according to current alpha you DO have option to disable and enable new models.
And the frame-rate wasn't noticeable in dropping when swapping either. That may vary to individual's pc however.
Reply Quote
Will have to wait and see the final notes on the system requirements.
But I do expect that both my laptop and my desktop will have little to no problems playing.

I am curious about the mentioned new tweaks to the engine..
Anyway, this thread made me think of this dark legacy comic :D

http://darklegacycomics.com/429.html
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
15/04/2014 11:28Posted by Ténzín
14/04/2014 16:24Posted by Taepsilum
Yes, if you set your graphics quality to Low.

This is false, according to current alpha you DO have option to disable and enable new models.
And the frame-rate wasn't noticeable in dropping when swapping either. That may vary to individual's pc however.

To think that you'd use an alpha version as an argument...

It might very well be that setting your graphics to Low automatically disables the new character models, much like sliding the graphics bar sets different settings to other values. If that's the case, then our blue friend is still making a proper statement.

Even if the current version of alpha does not have such a feature (lowest settings disabling newest models), then a future version is highly likely to get it, as I expect these two things to be too intimately related to not combine.
Edited by Vance on 16/04/2014 00:37 BST
Reply Quote
58 Troll Druid
Hi.

Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?) in WoD, will we need more "bang" in our computers?

Currently I am playing on a more than 5 years old machine with a Radeon HD4870 512MB (GPU) and a
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 6MB (CPU) and I am quite satisfied with it's performance in 10-mans, LFR and flex (13-14).

However, I am quite useless on Ordos and Sha since my frame rates dips to 1-10 FPS.

Will the new models cause even more problems in world bosses and even in regular raids?
Shall I start looking for a new computer or should I stick with the one I have?

You do not need anything else but a better GPU ( Graphics Card ) I am running with the exact same processor except I overclocked myn to 3.84ghz.

Card I'm running is Radeon 7770 - Never ever has wow dropped below 30fps for me I'm running on high but I turn shadows on low - I Just hate the things anyway.

With gaming - Generally speaking graphics cards are the life blood of it.
You can pick up the same card as I've got for around £80/£90 now if you fancy more bang for buck get the R9 270 or 270X I've got the card just haven't gotten round to installing it yet. However I've given it a shot on my other PC with the same processor again only it's not over clocked and WoW runs on Ultra no problem what so ever.

You didn't point out your ram or the refresh rate you play at either..

You want atleast 4gb RAM but WoW is ridiculous for what it produces graphics wise (poor) and how much it uses. So I'd recommend 2x4GB sticks as I have. Don't buy any old trash get at least 1600mhz.

Refresh Rate also plays a part I run 1920x1080 which is common now but that info can help.

As I said The processor is fine E8400 is pretty much the best of the dual core range and with overclocking a nice amount of ram and a generally decent card you can out do people running i3's.

So NO Don't listen to ANYONE who says save up for a new PC unless you truly want a new PC. If you want to just upgrade your PC as I said look for a similar card to the 7770 or if you have the cash check some of the R9 series.

Don't be hesitant to look in to overclocking your CPU ( DO LOTS of homework on it first ) also tinker with WoW's settings.

Sunshafts - (off ), view distance ( it's pretty pointless having it over good imo ) - Shadows (low) Mutlisampling 1x - AA x2 you can go higher but the difference is minimal unless you are studying gear.

Particle Density - I have on High but that's cos I'm a complete sucker for all the sparkles and spell effects in WoW anything above good is gravy.

As you may notice your GPU (graphics card) has only got 512mb memory. This is nothing for your GPU to dedicate with so all I'd recommend doing is looking into a new GPU depending on how much ram you have you could also bung that in. If you have 4gb worth generally don't worry your CPU and GPU will handle the majority of it.

On the flip side - Check all your temps - CPU/GPU I know it sounds silly but if they are running too hot either one its a sure sign that either the cooling can't keep up or usually CPU wise the heatsink isn't on properly (that or your thermal paste is dieing).

Heat can cause a lot of frame issues and obviously wreck your computer. I doubt it is this but I thought I'd point it out just so you can think on it...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Hi.

Since we are being blessed with new character models (Which can be disabled? Yes, no?) in WoD, will we need more "bang" in our computers?

However, I am quite useless on Ordos and Sha since my frame rates dips to 1-10 FPS.

Will the new models cause even more problems in world bosses and even in regular raids?
Shall I start looking for a new computer or should I stick with the one I have?

Maybe this is just an old PC issue but you should try disabling recount/skada. I had major FPS problems on world bosses and Algalon (Or Elegon? Whatever it's name is...) and once I removed recount the lag was gone. I'm not sure on the details of how this happens but it is worth a shot.
Edited by Forlin on 16/04/2014 09:28 BST
Reply Quote
Community
That's correct, thanks for pointing that out and sorry for the inaccuracy. I've fixed the original post.
I'd just like to point out that we've only added this option with the intention of helping out players running the game on (very) old systems.

We want everyone to experience the game with the new models, they're all sorts of amazing and the end result to the player's experience is phenomenal; we definitely don't want anyone to miss out on that.

The new models are central to gameplay, every nuance in the detail, movement, pose, and facial expressions will be noticed by you, even unconsciously, because your character is always standing in front of you.
But of course we also want to keep the game playable for everyone, so if you're in a situation where your game isn't playable at all with the new models, then it's still better to disable them than not being able to play at all.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
16/04/2014 10:15Posted by Taepsilum
That's correct, thanks for pointing that out and sorry for the inaccuracy. I've fixed the original post.
I'd just like to point out that we've only added this option with the intention of helping out players running the game on (very) old systems.

We want everyone to experience the game with the new models, they're all sorts of amazing and the end result to the player's experience is phenomenal; we definitely don't want anyone to miss out on that.

The new models are central to gameplay, every nuance in the detail, movement, pose, and facial expressions will be noticed by you, even unconsciously, because your character is always standing in front of you.
But of course we also want to keep the game playable for everyone, so if you're in a situation where your game isn't playable at all with the new models, then it's still better to disable them than not being able to play at all.

Will WoW support more cores in WoD? It feels kind of silly having 8 when it supports… 2 it was? It is kind of outdated that it does not even support quad-core in the first place.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
16/04/2014 10:42Posted by Consecra
Will WoW support more cores in WoD? It feels kind of silly having 8 when it supports… 2 it was? It is kind of outdated that it does not even support quad-core in the first place.

while it would help a lot and would be great, i very much doubt it.
Reply Quote
45 Goblin Rogue
16/04/2014 10:42Posted by Consecra

Hah, good thing I kept my trusty old E8400.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]