Diablo® III

Please fix stutter/choppy scroll .(NOT fps/perf thread)

(Locked)

This is an issue that's not related to network latency , nor the use of sub par hardware , it' something that shows up on fairly high end systems even at the lowest gfx settings.

My computer has 16 gb of ram , a Nvidia 590 video card (the 3 gb model) , an i5-2500K .

When diablo 3 is running it uses about 3/4 of a single core in cpu time and about 1/4 of a core worth distributed on the other cores , using 25% cpu in total . On my video card the game uses very little as well , since it's not constant I can't throw any numbers , but let's just say the highest peaks are at about 3/4 usage . I have a constant fixed 60 fps.

For drivers I have tried the latest nvidia current and have tried beta (301) .
For chipset I am using the latest intel drivers and have tried reverting to the previous release.

Suffice it to say the game does not really tax my system.

The issue:

When scrolling , most of the time it's fine , but up to a few times a second the game just seems to stutter slightly like a few frames are displayed out of order .. or the 3D part of the screen stops for a few frames (that's what it looks like)

I have tried every possible tweak / change to nvidia settings , vsync , no vsync using a single gpu , using no AA using lowest settings , anything and everything to no avail.
The only option that takes away a bit of the stuttering is removing the checks on the max and min fps boxes in game .

Someone mentioned there was a thread about this , but he also said that thread specifically sais that person had issues with certain objects being drawn and removed in off screen areas , and it would be gone if he was running around in the same area.
However , this is not the case for me (and for some others I was talking to in chat) the more I run around in the same area the more it starts to glitch and stutter. Hence this cannot be a drawing issue.

How I see it , There are 4 players in this situation , The big bucks video card manufacturer and their video drivers, Intel and chipset drivers , Microsoft and directX , Blizzard and the programmer that made the graphics routines.

I'm sure there is a solution for this somewhere . I'm not pointing fingers , I would just hope this issue gets acknowledged so a solution can be found. That would be a good first step, And I hope people with the same issue speak up on here.

I also am not comfortable mailing nvidia , microsoft nor intel about these matters so I do feel like this forum is my best bet for having this issue resolved eventually .. I would not presume to imply blizzard is the cause of this issue , I am well aware the solution to this may well lie far from blizzard's programmers but like I just said if a solution to this is to be found , if the request comes from blizzard , the probability of it landing on deaf ears will be less.

Let me again stipulate I have tried everything , including throwing the kitchen sink at it , it cost me a whole day of playing to try everything I could think about. To no avail , scrolling is choppy , and with all the maneuvering room the game has cpu , gpu , ram etc wise it really shouldn't be.

Kind Regards , Phoenixxl.
Edited by Phoenixxl#2193 on 22/05/2012 20:22 BST
Im having the same problem too and i have two asus radeon 6850 1 gb video ram graphics cards. blizzard must get to the bottom of this!
Edited by CHARleamagne#1791 on 16/05/2012 08:37 BST
85 Troll Priest
I am experiencing the same thing. Constant stuttering on some areas, less constant on others. FPS remains good all the time.

i7-860
GTX560ti, 301.xx beta drivers
8 gigs
Game on SSD
100 Dwarf Hunter
Good post Phoenix, I'm also getting this problem on a high-spec machine. I recently got a beast that can run Skyrim with everything on max no problem:

Win 7 Home Prem, 64bit, i7-2600K 3.40 GHz, 16GB ram, 1280MB GTX570 (recent NVIDIA 295.xx driver). Nothing is set in the NVidia customisation for D3, like AO or anything.

I'm getting stable fps, but the stuttering happens at any time, even with all the lowest game settings. Often happens when scrolling and bringing on new areas of map, but also in combat. Often when a character starts talking, there seems to be a delay/hitch/stutter as the sound file is loaded, I've turned the sound quality right down and even off, doesn't help. Machine is clean, no viruses, no defrag needed.

I can confirm it is not due to latency, it happens in the dead of night when I have 45 ms!

Hope someone can find the cause, this constant stuttering ruins the fun, I was hoping for a smooth gameplay experience with such a machine.
Edited by grunthos#2699 on 16/05/2012 10:46 BST
Same issue here, im about to attempt to disable unlocked cores on my processor and overclock the other 4 to see if since its only utilizing one core for some reason that maybe i can reduce the stuttering with a higher clock per core.

Biostar Ta990fxe
3.0ghz zosma unlocked to 6 cores
8 gigs ddr 3 1600 ram
WD 500 gig 7200 HDD
GTX 560 ti 2gb
Edited by Firelancer#1935 on 16/05/2012 13:38 BST
I 've tried up to 4.2 to no avail.
81 Night Elf Druid
Same, it isn't our cards guys, it's some game design thing called asset pre-loading. Our machines are fine, we need to wait for a fix. But yea, it runs smooth as silk, locked at 60fps but then you get the asset pre-load and you get hit with microstutter and it goes a bit blurry, can't be fixed our end. It affects nvidia and amd so..
81 Night Elf Druid
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4008682094#6 whole thread on it here
Not really. that's what I was talking about in my initial post , Even If i run around in the same small area the stuttering , which wasn't even there to begin with starts. Even when all assets are loaded. Even in small 1 room dungeons where no graphics are outside the screen.

The issue goes deeper than merely preloading. This thread is here to indicate this.

Also the thread you indicate is even titled "FPS DROPS" in a way insinuating sub par hardware or drivers could be the cause .. I would like to hereby underline the fact none of us are experiencing any fps drops .

People who are experiencing fps drops , this is not the thread for you.
Edited by Phoenixxl#2193 on 16/05/2012 14:46 BST
90 Orc Death Knight
Exactly the same problem here. Not really up to par hardware here (C2D 3Ghz, AMD HD4870 card, 4Gig) but lowering from full HD back to even 1024x768 lowest settings, the stutters still remain.
Same problem here.....what the hell????
Same problem as well. This was supposed to have been fixed during the beta. Why has Blizzard dropped the ball on again? Come on please fix this...
Everyone is going to have to be patient. I have a possible solution, I noticed if you set the affinity of D3 to a single core the CPU usage goes down considerably. Also as some one else suggested running the game in Windowed full screen mode, it helps. Also Checking Low FX has very little noticeable effect on eye candy while improving performance. Since I been playing D2 for 10 years or so eye candy doesn't mean much to me lol Also try disabling all the Catalyst Control Center/ PhysX extras and see what happens. Its a top down RPG most of the GPU settings are pointless for this game. At higher resolutions turn off the AA trust me performance trumps smooth edges you cant even see.

Happy Hunting.
90 Orc Warrior
Same problem here and I thought I was alone... The FPS is a solid 60 but the stuttering is there almost every level. I have set affinity for Diablo 3 at 2 cores in Task Manager and it seems to have helped a little but the game still stutters quite often at the weirdest moments ever, sometimes with only 2 characters on screen. Blizzard needs to fix this crap. It's unbelievable that a game like Diablo 3 with 6 years old visuals performs so poorly on modern PCS. I am running the game at max settings, have tried with lower resolution and AA disabled and makes no difference which means this is not a hardware problem. FIX IT BLIZZARD!!!

AMD Phenom IIx4 970 @ 3.8ghz
HD 6870 @ 970/900mhz c.clock 1150/1050mhz m.clock
4GB DDR3
Edited by Scorpgul#2439 on 17/05/2012 03:37 BST
Quote "Sentinel"
Everyone is going to have to be patient. I have a possible solution, I noticed if you set the affinity of D3 to a single core the CPU usage goes down considerably. Also as some one else suggested running the game in Windowed full screen mode, it helps. Also Checking Low FX has very little noticeable effect on eye candy while improving performance. Since I been playing D2 for 10 years or so eye candy doesn't mean much to me lol Also try disabling all the Catalyst Control Center/ PhysX extras and see what happens. Its a top down RPG most of the GPU settings are pointless for this game. At higher resolutions turn off the AA trust me performance trumps smooth edges you cant even see.

Nobody here is having "performance issues" . This thread is about a render routine bug.
Edited by Phoenixxl#2193 on 17/05/2012 06:42 BST
Nobody here is having "performance issues" . This thread is about a render routine bug.

^ This is spot on.

good video showing the problem (hitching isn't quite as long for me, but its there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeq--dTicgk

Beta Patch 7 is where the stutter started for me by the way.
Edited by Legion#2270 on 17/05/2012 10:47 BST
This is not what I'm talking about legion.
The Issue that occurs with me is is of a much smaller scale . It could be related though , I have no idea.

The Issue I have shows as minute frame drops or frame switching while scrolling . Best way to make it happen is to completely clear an are of mobs , then just click from one side of the screen to the other.

Along a stretch the screen will have glitched 1 to 4 times on average. some times there are none , some times more . Changing resolution , quality , number of cores , overclocking , removing aa , disabling 1 gpu , using 60 hz , using 59 hz using 50 hz refresh .. nothing has any impact on it.

I could install fraps and record it , but it would just be dismissed as being caused by the fraps overhead.
Edited by Phoenixxl#2193 on 17/05/2012 13:29 BST
The youtube video a few posts up looks somewhat like my game, except my stutters are much shorter... kind of like the animation chugs a bit.

Gtx570, I7-2600K, 8 GB Ram.

I run BF3 on Ultra settings without a hitch, but I can put everything to low on diablo 3 and I still get short lockups when casting a spell for the first time in a particular game, seeing an enemy for the first time, killing an enemy for the first time, running to new areas... god forbid some rocks fall down like in Act2, and my favorite, randomly. I can't even start a hardcore character for fear of locking up in a battle for a split second and finding myself in a bad situation/dead.

Tried tweaking pre-rendering to 1 in nvidia settings, helped slightly but nothing spectacular. Haven't messed around with cores yet.

This is just so frustrating.. am I going to have to downgrade my PC to be able to run D3?
Edited by Mpalm#1235 on 17/05/2012 13:15 BST
I would like it , if someone who has a high spec nvidia based system , that experiences this issue , who can get his hands on an good ATI video card to switch cards , and vice versa. And tell us if the issue is exactly the same or slightly different.

Same for someone who owns an equivalent motherboard with a different chipset and has some spare time.

As I stated in my original post , microsoft directX , intel mb drivers and nvidia drivers are still high on the list as being the possible culprits for this issue. This doesn't take away my firm conviction that the ones we need to ask about getting this resolved are at blizzard.

The lengths companies will go to to deny any fault is simply staggering, not so much the technical staff , who have some pride in their work , but generally everyone else to avoid liability issues.
Help desk staff are well trained in enforcing this , always trying to find fault in anything other than their own product.

That is why I also firmly believe our first problem will be to have someone at blizzard acknowledge what we are experiencing actually exists. I am not being cynical here , I am completely serious. Kafka wouldn't be able to imagine some of the things that are actually happening on a regular basis.
Edited by Phoenixxl#2193 on 17/05/2012 14:49 BST
90 Orc Death Knight
This is not what I'm talking about legion.
The Issue that occurs with me is is of a much smaller scale . It could be related though , I have no idea.

The Issue I have shows as minute frame drops or frame switching while scrolling . Best way to make it happen is to completely clear an are of mobs , then just click from one side of the screen to the other.

Quote since this is the same stuttering I have. The movie above shows longer "hangs" in between fluent play, not the scrolling stutters I am experiencing. It's like the scrolling is interrupted every 100ms for a very very very short period, but it's often enough to be really annoying.

I would like it , if someone who has a high spec nvidia based system , that experiences this issue , who can get his hands on an good ATI video card to switch cards , and vice versa. And tell us if the issue is exactly the same or slightly different.

Same for someone who owns an equivalent motherboard with a different chipset and has some spare time.

As I stated in my original post , microsoft directX , intel mb drivers and nvidia drivers are still high on the list as being the possible culprits for this issue. This doesn't take away my firm conviction that the ones we need to ask about getting this resolved are at blizzard.

I doubt it's nVidia related since I'm 99% sure you have the same problem I have, albeit I'm running an Ati HD4870 card. As said it's not the fastests but it runs fine apart from the stuttering, also, reducing to even really low resolution/lowest other settings solves nothing, although it seems a *little* bit less. Still nowhere near smooth as it should be under those settings (insane fps with lowest setting).

I'm wondering: a m8 of mine has no problems but he's running a 32 bit OS (Vista) with almost the same setup I have (CPU/mobo chipset AND GPU!) except I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. What are u guys using?
Edited by pindle#2913 on 17/05/2012 15:46 BST
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]