Diablo® III

Explanation - Rend mechanics

Hi!
Since there are so many questions concerning Rend mechanics - this is what I have found.

.Rend is not affected by increased attackspeed in any way.
.Rend CAN crit - however the numbers shown will appear white, not yellow.
.When Rend is cast the crit dice is being rolled for each enemy individually. If you hit 3 enemys, it is possible that 2 are effected by 'Critical Rend' and 1 by 'Regular Rend'.
.Rend does not trigger Life-on-Hit (although its being said that the initial tick has a 33% loh-ratio, cant confirm this however).
.Neither does Rend stack, nor does it override the first debuff. What happens is the following:

Let us assume Rend has 10 ticks (2 each second). Your first Rend is critical. After 5 ticks you cast Rend again which is not critical. To reach the full duration 5 (uncrit) ticks are being queued. This results in 5 more critical ticks then 5 uncrit ticks.

If there are any more questions I will try to answer them later this afternoon.
Please leave feedback when you have found the mechanics to be different.

Regards

what about the 9% life gain, is it nerfed on inferno, as Life Steal is by 80% ?

and how is this calculated.
it's based on weapon dmg..main hand or both weapons ?

The 80% decreased lifesteal in inferno seems to apply to Blood Lust too.
Also it seems that the raw Rend damage is being calculated using the average damage of BOTH weapons. Lets say you have dual wield two weapons, 1: 50-100 dmg, 2: 100-150 dmg. The average damage of weapon 1 is 75, the average damage of weapon 2 is 125 damage. The average between those two values is 100. This value is then being multiplied by strenght value and other damage modifiers (brawler passive etc).

Note that Weapon Damage is not equal to DPS.
Weapon damage only counts the DAMAGE on your weapon, your strenght and damage modifiers.
The DPS values shown on your weapon and inventory also use crit, speed etc.

23/08/2012 13:11Posted by Glückvogel
If multiple Barbarians are present in a party, does their Rend stack with each other?

I have tested this with a friend and it appeared that they do stack - both of us got their damage off.

Question: Anyway to tell when rend crits? And can it proc item effects like bleed? (when u cast it)

24/08/2012 14:21Posted by Lipster
Since rend can crit, can it trigger battle rage-bloodshed or wotb-slaughter?

If rend is a crit the damage values showsn are noticably bigger. They appear in the same color and size though. For me uncrit tricks are 7500-9000, crit ticks 30000+ damage. ('Display Damage Numbers' must be enabled in Gamplay Options menu)

However Rend can not proc on-hit-effects like Slaughter or Bloodshed.

Sorry it took me so long. Had some unexpected visitors yesterday.
Edited by Woodfist#2977 on 24/08/2012 16:12 BST
Reply Quote
what about the 9% life gain, is it nerfed on inferno, as Life Steal is by 80% ?

and how is this calculated.
it's based on weapon dmg..main hand or both weapons ?

I have in main hand 650 dps weapon + 90% crit = 1.235 weapon dmg
1235 + 700% Rend = 9.880 dmg over 5 sec = 1.976 pr sec
9% (rend life) of 9.880 = 889.2 life over 5 sec = 177.8 pr sec.

I have check it, tried on 1 enemy, and I only gain around 49 pro tic...and if 2 tic pr sec, = 98 pr sec

am I totally wrong with calculation ?
Reply Quote
If multiple Barbarians are present in a party, does their Rend stack with each other?
Reply Quote
Question: Anyway to tell when rend crits?
And can it proc item effects like bleed? (when u cast it)
Edited by wnviiii#1514 on 23/08/2012 14:13 BST
Reply Quote
How come skeletons can bleed?

J/k, i know it's a silly question.. i just had to.. Nice little infomercial you made there :)
Reply Quote
Since rend can crit, can it trigger battle rage-bloodshed or wotb-slaughter?
Edited by Lipster#1962 on 24/08/2012 14:22 BST
Reply Quote
Updated.
Reply Quote
Good and useful post!
I am not sure about the overriding part though... against elites/bosses I do rend until I get a critical one... and I'm pretty sure I've seen it work multiple times now.
Also one annoying thing I may have noticed is that the rend animation is pretty long, and it gets interrupted by the dodge animation!!! My barb died a couple of times because he was in the middle of very large packs and couldn't land a rend because he kept dodging, interrupting the animation! Can you confirm this? If this is true, this must be a bug for sure.
Reply Quote
Good and useful post!
I am not sure about the overriding part though... against elites/bosses I do rend until I get a critical one... and I'm pretty sure I've seen it work multiple times now.
Also one annoying thing I may have noticed is that the rend animation is pretty long, and it gets interrupted by the dodge animation!!! My barb died a couple of times because he was in the middle of very large packs and couldn't land a rend because he kept dodging, interrupting the animation! Can you confirm this? If this is true, this must be a bug for sure.

I faced similar problems. For example in most cases I cannot cast rend while I am moving. I have to stop holding LMB and then cast rend again to land it. Not sure about your case, but if I notice this I will post it here.

Also there is pretty long delay before it lands after you cast it.
Edited by Pat#2351 on 24/08/2012 16:46 BST
Reply Quote
What about ias reducing/affecting the "cast time" ?

Pretty anoying problems with rend yes, have experienced the moving issue but didnt know about the dodging, good to know since i play only on HC. :)

Good post OP
Edited by Rom#2558 on 24/08/2012 17:38 BST
Reply Quote
What about ias reducing/affecting the "cast time" ?

Yea it does indeed seem that ias increases the animationspeed.
That could also explain while Frenzy/Rend runs so much smoother than Bash/Rend - for me at least.
Reply Quote
Yea it does indeed seem that ias increases the animationspeed.
That could also explain while Frenzy/Rend runs so much smoother than Bash/Rend - for me at least.

That's BS, Frenzy atkspd is only for Frenzy, it does not speed up any other skills.
Reply Quote
question is rend ticking 2 times per second or is that a speculation?
because i have around 60k dps and with cleave witch has 175% wdmg i hit like 60-70 k so 65k/1.75 = my wepdmg should be around 37k with no crit and as, and still using bash with 24% dmg buff when i get 3 stacks my rend should do 700% dmg over 5 sec 700*1.25/5= 173.6% wdmg per second or at least 700/5= 140 if bash doesn't affect rend. yet my rend does like 19k a tick witch is way under 100% weapon dmg not to say under 173 or even 140

also i understand what weapon dmg is, at least i suspect. isn't a kind of a easy way to see weapon dmg without taking into account AS and crit chance and dmg by looking at how much you hit on average with stuff like frenzy bash cleave(not looking at crits or swings per second only normal hit), then for frenzy you know is 110% wepdmg so lets say you hit for 1000/1.1 and you get weap dmg with no crit modifiers or as ones? and ofc for other will be 1000/1.75 if is cleave with more dmg, or bash 1.6 or depending how much you normal attack does.
Reply Quote
I don't know if it's a my perception, but when i use Rend, the mobs killed drop less gold.

Maybe GF/MF it's not applied when mobs die with rend?
Reply Quote
However Rend can not proc on-hit-effects like Slaughter or Bloodshed.

That's a bummer.
Reply Quote
Love the new Rend. nice LoH replacement.
Reply Quote
Just bought an immortal king's boulder breaker, and i approve this build!

Only got 2.5% lifesteal on belt, but rend is enough for healing.
Reply Quote
Rend definitely does proc LoH.
I have tested this over and over and I get way increased life regen after hitting with rend. (This is without the 9% lifesteal).

I have 700 LoH and 0% lifesteal. whenever I am inside a pack of mobs and throw down rend, my HP skyrockets.
Reply Quote
ok this post helped me, just started rend build and was wondering why the dmg ranged from 14k-66k white dmg ticks (did some tests without attacking with other abilities). tyvm for the clarification.

@Borgosh Frenzy does actually help getting off rend faster, has nothing to do with the buff, its just that frenzy animation is just alot faster and frees up a GCD for rend, bash is slow and u have to stop attack sooner if u need to refresh.
Edited by FallenGod#2477 on 31/08/2012 17:55 BST
Reply Quote
Rend - Bleed for 700% weapon damage for 5 sec. + 9% damage by rend as life

(weapon dmg.)700% = Rend Damage for 5 sec.

9% of that dmg = life for 5 sec.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]