DPS meter

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
PLZ BLIZZARD.

would make trying new builds so much more fun.

We could actualy know exactly how much dmg we would be doing with different items, builds etc
it would be the perfect addition to this game.
if you mean with elemental dps and/or elite dps i agree
still there is no "official" dps meters in wow and u're asking about that one in diablo...
This isnt Wow.
16/04/2014 17:27Posted by LeChuckVCF
This isnt Wow.

This isnt wow that is correct, but there are multiple games that use a mechanic like this to determine your damage output not just wow.

Yes something like this will be perfect for many players to try out different builds and see which is the most effective aswell as seeing what items are better and how much your damage output will be with SoJ + elemental damage.
Because doing a little calculating and math has proven to be too hard for the majority of the players these days...

You can try whatever you want, since there isn't a talent resetter. Try some skills, see what kind of damage they do and start working it up from that, if the skills are fun/good to use.

It's not rocket science.
Yeah you can go on a boss write down his hp and then just measure the time in which you kill him, did that, but it's nowhere near showing how much damage you do real time, so counting all the dodges and so on, that's why we should have a dps counter.
(WoW has no official dps counter because addons, which are bannable in diablo)
perfect for elitist pricks so hell no
I want to show everyone in my 21 inch damage meter and shove it in their faces!!!! Liek Right Naow!!!
16/04/2014 19:07Posted by Mokum
perfect for elitist pricks so hell no

The attitude of a casual scrub. Gotta love it! Best not to give the hardcore gamers anything to play for. Rather keep it a 1-day insta-finish game, made entirely for casuals, right?

Retardation aside, you can easily calculate your effective dps, by killing Ghom on the highest difficulty you can manage and dividing his HP by the time it took.
This game dont even have a ''combat log'' system. It is too far away for an actual DPS master. AND it is true, even WoW dont have a ''official'' DPS master :(

This is also really unlikely to happen. Because Blizz just dont want you to konw your actual DPS so you dont know whitch build has Maximum DPS out put. Hence, ppl will have different build, and this is Blizz like to see.

Good luck, guys
Too many variables. I swear some people find the most insignificant things to whine about -.- @Filth
16/04/2014 17:29Posted by Mannoroth
try out different builds and see which is the most effective

With effective I assuming you mean the most DPS? I wish for builds to go away from pure DPS and more tactical play. Thus, I am against any form of group-DPS meter.

Such a thing will also lead to more votekicking of players for not meeting the objective DPS standards of others.
16/04/2014 17:05Posted by Arkar
PLZ BLIZZARD.

would make trying new builds so much more fun.

We could actualy know exactly how much dmg we would be doing with different items, builds etc

There already kinda is. Ghom is pretty good for that.

For me, personally, the only thing I really care about is having the option to have the character sheet DPS number able to be displayed by itself in the bottom center of the screen next to the buffs or similar. Would help my DH whose DPS is very conditional on range, etc.
Hmm no, wouldnt do any good. A build's worth isnt just defined by its DPS potential, but also by its defenses and utilities. You're not competing with anyone but yourself so that DPS number is completely irrelevant to your own experiences.
16/04/2014 23:28Posted by Deconstruct
A build's worth isnt just defined by its DPS potential, but also by its defenses and utilities

Well said! We know that a DPS meter is a fairly frequent request and you can be sure that we’ve talked about it. Ultimately though, we feel that a DPS meter would put too much focus on one single aspect of the game and we currently don't have any plans to implement one.

Let me explain why we feel this way: DPS is certainly important, but Diablo is a combination of activities. Healing and Toughness are are important, too, and your movement and positioning, your ability to aim with certain abilities and using them at the right moment also play an important role in "determining" how "well" you're doing. DPS alone shouldn't be the only number that matters when you play.

16/04/2014 23:28Posted by Deconstruct
You're not competing with anyone but yourself so that DPS number is completely irrelevant to your own experiences.

Actually, we believe the frequent call for such a feature is indicative of a desire for a way to measure your progress and compare with others.

One feature that we’re working on and that is planned for our first major content patch are Tiered Rifts, and our intention is to add Leader Boards which will allow you to track your progress. That way, you’ll be able to see how quickly you can clear these special rifts which in turn should allow you to assess your efficiency and compare with the community at large.

We don’t have details to share at the moment, but we’ll have more information on Tiered Rifts (and Seasons) in the future – stay tuned!
17/04/2014 10:14Posted by Ulvareth
Let me explain why we feel this way: DPS is certainly important, but Diablo is a combination of activities. Healing and Toughness are are important, too, and your movement and positioning, your ability to aim with certain abilities and using them at the right moment also play an important role in "determining" how "well" you're doing. DPS alone shouldn't be the only number that matters when you play.

So why not also add meters for Damage Taken, Healing done, Damage done by Spell and so on?

That would be perfect to measure actual performance of certain builds or items!
17/04/2014 10:21Posted by Darlynn
17/04/2014 10:14Posted by Ulvareth

So why not also add meters for Damage Taken, Healing done, Damage done by Spell and so on?

That would be perfect to measure actual performance of certain builds or items!

Even that isn't close to measuring actual performance of WDs and monks for instance since they're boosting the party way more than any other class. A good WD in the party is invaluable, not because of their damage, but because of their CC, buffs and debuffs.
I am all up for a personal dps meter.
Will make trying new weapons/sets/builds much more fun.