Casuals win again

General Discussion
Playing 2 hours a day is not little, it's actually being a solid member of the playerbase. If you are playing 7-8h a day you're an extremely hard core player, and you should naturally expect to see a significant amount of item drops for it.
I am starting to take severe offense at the gratuite use of the term 'casual' -- the facts that I have gotten 2 kids and a demanding job and that I therefore cannot play 7 to 8 hours a day (what the F are you doing with your life?) do NOT mean I am less serious about my gaming than when I was a Counter-strike clan leader or BF2/3 player (and I put over 4000 hours in those three games alone, which many people back then probably found institution-worthy too). It *does* mean I get to play less often and shorter than I'd want to. So, still hardcore on the inside.

Birthday buff? Hell yeah, you're getting older day by day. YAY!
22/05/2014 08:39Posted by Bartuc
Playing 2 hours a day is not little, it's actually being a solid member of the playerbase. If you are playing 7-8h a day you're an extremely hard core player, and you should naturally expect to see a significant amount of item drops for it.

In reference to my post above: I hereby dispute the correlation of hours played and 'hardcoreness'. It's in the mentality behind it. Pissing down someone else's neck doesn't make OP 'hardcore', either.
22/05/2014 08:37Posted by Feanor
Grow up, kiddo.
The ONLY reason to EVER play a game is to have fun. You are in no position to impose your ways of having fun on others. We like getting loot, we like having some feel of progress without having to play "7-8 hours a day". Get used to it. From a statistical point of view, it is actually you who is playing for the wrong reasons. But that's entirely up to you. You're free to have fun in this game in any way you like. Just like the rest of us. If you so insist on having less legendary drops, you can probably ask Blizzard to implement some kind of gameplay option that lets you reduce the drop rate for yourself. That would be ok for the rest of the players and make you happy, right?

No that wouldn´t make him happy, because he would lost the only accomplishment in his life - feeling, that he is something more in virtual world than anybody else. And this is what it is all about. This is why nolifers whine about increasing drop rates.
Hahaha.

"I've played 7-8 hours a day since release, I've got all the items THE GAME MUST BE BROKEN BECAUSE FILTHY CASUALS"

Just when I thought the average IQ of the people on this forum couldn't possibly get any lower.

Don't wanna progress so fast? Don't dedicate your entire bloody existence to item farming
DEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
22/05/2014 08:37Posted by Feanor
22/05/2014 08:14Posted by Kathal

The game is about improving your character.
You can do that at ANY difficulty but T6. There is nowhere to go from T6.

Making everyone able to do T6 in no time will shorten the game for a lot of players. Nothing more to achieve.
The top difficulty should not be for everyone. The spoiled little casuals should realize that, but they don’t. They are just too dumb and spoiled.
They play this game for the wrong reasons. Why does it ruin your game if you don’t get endgame drops within 100 hours?
Why does it feel like work?
Maybe because you think you are entitled to top items like your friend that plays 10 times as much as you.
Maybe because you are focusing on the goal line instead of just playing the game and having fun with it.

Long story short . . . if it ruins your game that you can't play T6 then you are an %¤!"/(#.
Enjoy T1. It's basically the same as T6.

- - MAJOR facepalm - -

Grow up, kiddo.
The ONLY reason to EVER play a game is to have fun. You are in no position to impose your ways of having fun on others. We like getting loot, we like having some feel of progress without having to play "7-8 hours a day". Get used to it. From a statistical point of view, it is actually you who is playing for the wrong reasons. But that's entirely up to you. You're free to have fun in this game in any way you like. Just like the rest of us. If you so insist on having less legendary drops, you can probably ask Blizzard to implement some kind of gameplay option that lets you reduce the drop rate for yourself. That would be ok for the rest of the players and make you happy, right?

Don't you get that increasing the droprate will only make you hit another gear wall earlier?
Go play HC if you want to continue to improve a char.
Improving your char WILL end at the same amount of time no matter how the droprate is. It's just a slightly different gear wall.
22/05/2014 08:39Posted by Bartuc

I also find it kind of funny how they can't even wrap their heads around the fact that 2 hours per day to spend on a game is A LOT for some people here!
22/05/2014 08:20Posted by FastDeath

They play this game for the wrong reasons.

- - MAJOR facepalm - -

Major facepalm indeed.Sorry we`re not playing by your gaming LAWS. Ty BB.

My gaming LAWS??

I'm just saying that if you don't enjoy the game, you are playing for the wrong reasons.
Nothing to do with me.

Complicated? Naa . . .
22/05/2014 08:49Posted by Kathal
Don't you get that increasing the droprate will only make you hit another gear wall earlier?
Go play HC if you want to continue to improve a char.
Improving your char WILL end at the same amount of time no matter how the droprate is. It's just a slightly different gear wall.

You can ´t possibly imagine how long it will take to hit the gear wall (even with the currently increased drop rates) for somebody, who is playing 2 - 3 hours per day and wants to gear up every toon. Try to get life, maybe then you will figure out.
22/05/2014 08:53Posted by Kathal
My gaming LAWS??

I'm just saying that if you don't enjoy the game, you are playing for the wrong reasons.
Nothing to do with me.

Complicated? Naa . . .

The only reason of every last ARPG is to get loot. If you are not getting loot, then you get bored instead. It is simply as that. I don´t say, that I need to get TOP items in few weeks, it is not possible even with increased drop rates for ppl, who has life.
22/05/2014 08:53Posted by Kathal
My gaming LAWS??

Nothing to do with me.

Complicated? Naa . . .

Let me redirect that right back at you. Not happy with the new permanent droprate? Not enjoying the game anymore? Then you are playing for the wrong reasons.

Do I need to explain the uninstall option?

Besides don't you worry, I'll wager you that in the next expansion we get T7-10 so you can, for a short while, show off you epeen again.
Dear lord...

You are not -repeat, not- entitled to something more or better just because you spend more time playing the game.
You've paid exactly the same amount of money to be able to play the game as someone who's idly strolling through the game on normal 2 or 3 hours a week.

Your time is not a relevant resource to a game developer, your money is.

It's this sense of entitlement, so prevalent in gaming communities, that is working counterproductive. It's a game, nothing more, nothing less. You get what you paid for.

Should I expect more or better bread from a baker just because I go there 3 times a day? No.
22/05/2014 07:24Posted by Eraserhead
Why does this keep happening, Blizzard? Why do u give in to whine of casuals on forums ever since WoW? The leg drop rate was absolutely fine, i've been playing 7-8 hours a day since release and i got all the set items in 3 weeks.

oh go F U. the leg drop was terribad for the casual player.
normal ppl whit lifes cant afford to spend 8h infront of a screen and you know it you looser.

the casual adult player whit a life/family/responsebilitys plays 30 mins - 2h a few days of the week, THAT is the playerbase blizz should aim at and they are happily starting to do it.

the marked for casual gamers will allways be bigger then the nolifers.
I wish I had the time to play 7-8 hours per day, but I also think that if I had it I'd spend it differently.
Maybe it is too much, don't you think?

Instead of playing, I work 7-8 hours per day, and if I don't fall asleep because too tired I try to play late in the evening 1 or 2 hours. Sometimes in the weekends I manage to play the whole day, but just because I never have the time to do it often.

From the moment the software house decided to make this game items-based, it's normal that people like me (I think most of the players) stop playing because the game seems not rewarding, and seems pretty fair that they try to support us who paid for the game. BUT they're also supporting you! If you are an hardcore gamer, it's obvious that you'll get the double, triple of the items we "casuals" will find in these few hours we play the game, and maybe you can also feel challenged to start playing hardcore in that moment, or trying more challenging builds, no?

TLDR?

Before:

Casual Gamer -> Finds good legendaries in 1 month
Hardcore Gamer -> Finds good legendaries in 1 week

Now:

Casual Gamer -> Finds good legendaries in 1 week
Hardcore Gamer -> Finds good legendaries in 1 day

Seems pretty fair to me, from the moment now everyone can normally enjoy the game.

Cheers!
Sometimes i wish , we would have SHUT WHINE UP button.
Puff and silence .... =) mmmm
I would just like to add some of my feelings about this issue to the discussion. I can see both sides and I agree with both to a certain extent. In the end however I will say I prefer the buffed droprate over the previous one.

First of all, I saw one line that stood out a bit. "Why does it ruin your game if you don’t get endgame drops within 100 hours?" For a "normal" (I refuse to use casual) player that plays around 1-3 hours a day at the most due to family and other obligations 100 hours is vastly different compared to someone playing 5+ hours a day.
For the normal player we're talking ~2 months of grinding without a upgrade. For the more hardcore player it's about a week or two. The difference is staggering. I can handle a week without an upgrade (although given my horrible gear a week is unlikely) but two months? That won't be happening. It's a game not my job.

Another thing to remember is that ladders will be introduced sometime soon™. Assuming I have not been misinformed everything starts over there, you will not get to keep your paragon or your current stash of gems/mats/legendaries. Assuming also that new ladders will pop up every now and then the increased droprate will help combat the monotony of starting over all the time. This also ties in to my previous point about the difference in spending 2 hours a day vs 7 hours a day. If the ladders only last a limited amount of time the majority of the players would never have a chance to even see endgame if the droprates were to low.

Another benefit of the increased droprate is crafting. Combined with the removal of certain white items for each craft it has made be craft a lot more now that souls are abundant enough that I don't feel I have to save them as much. It has also forced me to care more about white, blue and yellow drops as I need materials for the crafting and rerolling.

On the flipside I can certainly see how the increase in droprate can cause a negative effect on players that DO play a significantly more amount than most players. The point of this game (and any game) is to have fun. How you determine what is fun is individual but people who are willing to put up to a third of their day into one game most likely find fun in standing "above" the majority of players. They find fun in knowing they are powerful compared to the average Joe. To have items that are rare. I personally like these feelings myself and for a while being the only one of my friends with a WoW I liked it. Even if my roll was bad. Seeing WoW start dropping for all my wizard friends suddenly was not fun even if I was happy for them.

There is of course the question of longevity to the game too. If you play a lot then increased droprate will shorten the lifespan and that's not good.

Unfortunately Blizzard has to cater to the majority if they want to stay in business. The market isn't what it used to be and Blizzard has, for good or bad, grown into a giant in the business and cannot afford to cater to niches like hardcore gamers if they want to survive. Sure, they could start doing games specifically for hardcore games, loose 70% of their business and have to fire a couple of hundred if not thousand people. That isn't however a really good idea IMO.

Personally I would love to see more of unique drops that stand out while not necessarily being better. Sets with very unique looks , items like spectrum and the horadric hamburger. Bring plenty more of those and reduce the droprate even more for those. The sets could be copies (statwise) of current sets but with fun cosmetic setbonuses added. A copy of the Tal Rasha set but instead of dropping meteors it drops elemental chickens. Statwise it would make no difference but I would really notice a player with that set rolled well. It would also give me even more intentive to farm for "my" class even after I find the best gear.

In the end though, both sides have reasons to like or dislike any choice in this case. Try to make the most out of the game you have and if it isn't to your liking then maybe it would be better to look for alternatives.

//Sey
22/05/2014 08:49Posted by Kathal

It's irrelevant. It only means that I'll have shorter period of having more fun than I would otherwise. And I can always start a new character. At my pace of play, I don't have to worry about lack of character improvement for the foreseeable future.
22/05/2014 07:24Posted by Eraserhead
The leg drop rate was absolutely fine, i've been playing 7-8 hours a day since release

I think I see a problem...

and i got all the set items in 3 weeks.

So the new baseline doesn't change anything for you then... you've still got everything..

And by the way.. there ARE other games out there.. and even things to do away from the computer...you should check it out.
For the ones (no lifers) who is crying for lowering the droprates, can you please tell us how long it should get to find decent gear for one char? I've been playing ~2-3 hours a day and I'm not even close to end game gear.

If you look at my Budhabhadra monk you will see that the gear was fantastic for the D3V, you know how long did it take ... 1 year and 8 months. Besides, I could barely manage to do that in such a long time making very very very good trades in the goldAH.

So I'm asking again, in your mind how long should it take to have perfect gear? A decade? Would you consider that there might be something problematic with you mindset?

PS: Son't worry by the way, Bliz will again release another expansion which shall trash-out everything you collected so you will again start grinding.
I've putted in 450h on my barb total or something, maybe 150h after 2.0 patch and I have yet to find ONE piece of the IK-set. Im probably unlucky, but I dont mind the buff being permanent since I do have a life ( atleast I think I do ;) ) and play maybe in average 1h a day, having family and job etc etc.

So remove the Blackthorne % on set drops completely and put those % on the IK set please, I already have 30+ blackthorne pieces, they melted real nice at the blacksmith ;)

Diablo is FUN now, getting loot is the key to keep people entertained.