Item progression - Impale DH

Demon Hunter
Hello everybody. Just came back to D3 after 3 years or so. Enjoying the game a lot so far with a DH with Impale build. Progression to 80GR has been quite smooth so far but now I feel like I have hit a plateau. That's why I am asking for help.

In addition to the gems (working on that), what are the next priorities?

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Spunkete-1536/hero/107165933

Thank you in advance :)
You should try swapping to Diamond in helmet and get 1 roll of CDR somewhere like shoulders (roll off Area Damage or Resistance) or your gloves (roll off VIT). That way you will have permanent uptime on Vengance, which buff both DPS and toughness.

I would also swap VIT for 50% CHD on your CoE ring, Armor for VIT on chest. Get new helmet with Impale% and CHC. And get better quiver. After you improved on those items, try to get an amulet with elemental%+CHC+CHD if it didn't already drop.

Have you tried Cold Impale? It works very well with Pain Enhancer gem (only need rank 25 to be of great help) instead of Powerful. Try and see if you like. I go higher with cold than lightning.

Example of an okay balanced impaler (if I may say so): https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Hai-2384/hero/100535268
Thanks for the help!
Sure, good luck and have fun :)
One question. Why would you put arcane damage on Karlei's point if our class cannot do arcane damage ?
The type of dmg on weapon is not important, it was once in the past but they changed it. So just get as high number as possible. However, the dmg element on weapon can proc weapon bonus from Fuliminator and Thunderfury, and maybe some other items.
Great. thankx :)
Dagger and chest are totally awful.

Chest: you obv.need dex,vit,allres,(melee/ranged DR, LoK). Waste of caldesann :/

Dagger: vita isn't neccessary at all, you should reroll vita to 10% dmg. Waste of caldesann. As there are only two DH daggers, you can try to spam 3rd cube's page with yellow dagger until you get primal. (You need to make 100-600 transmutations depends on luck :DD)

Bracers: too low affix (you need 29% or 30%) and %critchance. Waste of caldesann.

Also you don't need more than 7% attack speed from dagger + 20% from quiver + 3% from your Enchantress.

This will give you 2 more Impale brakes for 4 seconds CoE iteration while fighting the RG.
For chest, I find the best stats to be:

Dex
Vit
15% Life
-
2nd resistance or melee/ranged DR
Life per kill (especially if you use Leech)

08/05/2018 13:13Posted by Arti

Also you don't need more than 7% attack speed from dagger + 20% from quiver + 3% from your Enchantress.

This is true, rather try to get some Area Damage, unless you are boss killer.

15% Life

Strongly disagree about %hp coz it's not working properly on low HP pool.

While there is a possibility for raising HP by spending +100/200/300 paragon points for vitality unfortunately you cannot do this for resistances.
I see your point. In the end it depends on your play style and what kills you most often. I quickly refill my HP with Leech, so the most dangerous for me is being one shot by melee mobs. Also, I consider myself above average knowledgable with affixes and how to avoid them, making All Res a little less important.

Its important to note that I like low paragon pushing, so any advices from me are best for players around p700-1200. Some aspects to balancing will change according to your level.
09/05/2018 16:13Posted by Arti

15% Life

Strongly disagree about %hp coz it's not working properly on low HP pool.

While there is a possibility for raising HP by spending +100/200/300 paragon points for vitality unfortunately you cannot do this for resistances.

While there is no definitive answer what is BIS on chest (as it would rely on other items), I agree that +%life is not really that great. As main rolls there are also allres and elite DR. Secondaries 210 phys res, melee/ranged DR and LPK.

+%life doesn't really do that much. Let's assume we have to buy 1000 vit from paragon (200 points). Paragon adds already 25% more life. Belt 15%. So 1400 more vit. With 15% more life that would be 1550 vit. Only 150 vit more. Not much at all. A vit roll would be way stronger. Allres and elite DR are hard to compare though, but they should be be better. Especially with leech as DR scales with LoH, life not.

What people often forget how strong good secondary rolls can be. But that is minmaxing.
I suggest to get BIS @everything asap despite the Paragon level.
Also I suggest to look for russian DH topics. Use google translate or built-in page translation of your web browser.
You say you are working hard on gems but you do know that you can convert or transmute them? You should be maximized very quickly....:

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/item/essence-of-emerald-p3_Gem_Convert_Emerald
09/05/2018 12:11Posted by Hai

Dex
Vit
15% Life
-
2nd resistance or melee/ranged DR
Life per kill (especially if you use Leech)

08/05/2018 13:13Posted by Arti

This is true, rather try to get some Area Damage, unless you are boss killer.

respectfully disagree. You need some AR, and the shoulders are a great place to grab it. with little AR, you'll suffer greatly on higher GRs - that extra health from %life won't help you one single bit.
01/05/2018 18:17Posted by Spunkete
Hello everybody. Just came back to D3 after 3 years or so. Enjoying the game a lot so far with a DH with Impale build. Progression to 80GR has been quite smooth so far but now I feel like I have hit a plateau. That's why I am asking for help.

In addition to the gems (working on that), what are the next priorities?

https://eu.diablo3.com/en/profile/Spunkete-1536/hero/107165933

Thank you in advance :)

Get rid of the RORG (ring of royal grandeur). Your compass rose is rubbish. Your HPS quiver is sub standard (no CHC and no impale dmg [or area damage if you prefer that instead of impale]). Belt - re-roll grenade dmg to AR. Not sure why you're wearing the broken crown unless you were farming gems when the game took a snapshot. Get rid of it and put your shadow helm back on.

General advice - stick to powerful over pain enhancer, and stick to lightning over cold dmg (ricochet rather than overpenetration rune). There's no real difference in dmg output between the runes, and cold/overpenetration is far harder to manage hatred with. As soon as your hatred drops below 90% resource, Aquila's stops working and you have a massive drop in toughness.