Blizzard market value drops 21.7% (10/11/18)

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
From the US forum:

Posted by Psalm
You say:
We hear you

But then, I read this quote from your meeting with your stockholders? (if I understand correctly):

Fan reaction was muted, but fan's reactions at BlizzCon confirmed Diablo Immortal will be well received by players around the world.

How much louder did they have to boo at you for you to hear them?!

In my earlier comment on this thread I pointed out that Blizzard's disillusionment with its fans is a joke--a running gag of a meme--and it's been going on for a LONG time.

It appears, that disillusionment will never go away. This is as clear of an example as I can show you. I only hope you wake up.

Allen Adham proclaimed that in a room full of stockholders. Blizzard Stockholders. That is nothing short of business suicide. Stockholders are not the fanbase obviously, they research things because their own money is on the line.

You cannot just go and blatantly lie to a room full of people that are very up to date about what happened at Blizzcon.

Those people gathered there are not the kind of people that would be boo'ing him out. They will happily sit there till the conference is done, wondering wtf they just saw and heard and than proceed to sell out.

Hence we see double digit negative ratings on their stocks. Not because of Diablo Immortal or even the Blizzcon scandal. No, their PR is so far out of touch with reality, they even started lying to their stockholders...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDKJQ3Z8bU
Thank you everyone for keeping track of Blizzard's stock, title updated!
Well, a very good argument to hear the voice of the community :) Diablo 2 Reborn, please :)
Still 8.9k players online atm in Diablo 2.
SO whats the drop currently at?If you dont mind me asking
Wait.. wait.... they lied to the shareholders about the fans reactions? Holy !@#$, this is worse then I thought.

11/11/2018 17:58Posted by MiroBG
SO whats the drop currently at?If you dont mind me asking

What I can find when searching is that since monday after Blizzcon the stocks have fallen ~15-20$.

Someone correct me if im wrong, since I'm not very knowledgeable about stocks.
Diablo Immortal has a major impact on their stock but that is not the only reason.
Based on the news of the discussion of the investors call, there are lot of videos and discussions on Youtube, mostly negative feedback on the path that Blizzard and Activision had taken.
11/11/2018 22:17Posted by Ivan77
Diablo Immortal has a major impact on their stock but that is not the only reason.
Based on the news of the discussion of the investors call, there are lot of videos and discussions on Youtube, mostly negative feedback on the path that Blizzard and Activision had taken.

This. And as I saw that Allen Adham told investors, Immortal would or (was?) taken with huge encouragement from fans (which it wasn't, even in china it seems like) which means he either 1. Lied to shareholders or 2. Gave such a out-of-touch analyze of the fans that showed he had no idea what he was talking about.

Just the point that they are "all playing mobile games and the best developers are on it" was not really encouraging to the pc-fans. I dunno, maybe someone has more and better information on this?
11/11/2018 23:53Posted by Spray
This. And as I saw that Allen Adham told investors, Immortal would or (was?) taken with huge encouragement from fans (which it wasn't, even in china it seems like) which means he either 1. Lied to shareholders or 2. Gave such a out-of-touch analyze of the fans that showed he had no idea what he was talking about.

It was J. Allen Brack, not Allen Adham.

And what he said wasn't untrue. What he said was that the fan reaction was muted (true, no one clapped to cheered), and that fan reactions [from playing the demo] confirmed [what they believe], which is that Diablo Immortal will be well-recieved (true, people who've played the demo have mostly positive things to say about the game).

The quote that's floating around isn't entirely accurate. It's like people have omitted some of J. Allen Brack's words to make it seem as if he's lying, which he isn't. He does try to give Diablo Immortal a positive spin, but that's sort of to be expected.
11/11/2018 23:53Posted by Spray
Just the point that they are "all playing mobile games and the best developers are on it" was not really encouraging to the pc-fans. I dunno, maybe someone has more and better information on this?

Again, people aren't quoting Allen Adham correctly. You're hearing what you want to hear, not what was actually said.

Allen Adham said that Blizzard has many of their best developers working on mobile games. So that's a free round. That means that some of their other best developers are also working on the other projects.
It's a standard PR answer.
No matter what game you would have asked him about, then he would have said that Blizzard has x of their best developers working on it. And that's probably true. I mean, there's no reason to assume that the people working on StarCraft II aren't the best people for StarCraft II. And the same could be said for the other games.
It's not like a great game developer is just de facto better at developing any game than someone else. Usually they specialize, and someone who's specialized in an MMORPG like WoW has a different set of skills from the one specialized in RTS games like StarCraft II, and someone who's specialized in mobile games has a different set of skills as well.

People are reading a bit too much into these Blizzard quotes, but not in a way that's benefitial to their cause I think. The quotes aren't accurate, and people attribute unwarranted fear-mongering to them.

Edit: Correction, thanks Spray!
Again, people aren't quoting Allen Adham correctly. You're hearing what you want to hear, not what was actually said.

Think you have had someone tell you the quote instead of listening to what he actually said, don't tell others that they are hearing what they want to hear when you don't seem to have listened to him at all, please.

Here you have the quote, I wrote it down while listening to him several times:
"Many of our best developers are now working on new mobile titles across all of our IPs, some of them are with external partners like D:I".

Don't try to play with words to change the meaning.

And then the sales from COD, Destiny 2 not living up to the target(is free to play if you grabbed it quickly), WoW also not living up to the sales target and then the D:I PR-fiasco (If we ignore that it seems to actually be a well made mobile game).

I just hope this will make Blizzard actually communicate with their fans, at least the Diablo side.

True, the game will be well recieved, probably not by long time Diablo fans, it's a big difference even if their wallet don't care.
12/11/2018 03:04Posted by Spray
Don't try to play with words to change the meaning.

Ah, you're right. It's many and not some.
Mea culpa!
Still, point stands. It's an inconclusive term - it's a standard PR answer. He'd have given the same answer for any game he'd been asked about. And again, it's not like there's a developer scoreboard hanging in the cafeteria where they rank who's the best Blizzard dev. Any company will describe any of its employees as valuable, trusted people.

It's the same as hearing a doctor say: "We have the best people doing everything they can."
It's supposed to be reassuring.
Likewise when Allen Adham says they have many of their best developers working on mobile titles, then it's supposed to reassure people that these games will be great, as befits a Blizzard title. It's reassurance that Blizzard aren't jeopardizing their quality.
This is actually a golden opportunity for Activision Blizzard.

Nobody believes the asian market will replace the western community. Nobody but Blizzard who need a new source of growth.
Thing is - the eastern market is like, really really big.

All they need to do is let the stocks tumble for a year - pay low dividends - use any cash to buy back their own stock - and 1.5 yrs down the line when D:I launches and casually takes an eastern market-share that's double the western pc players base everyone watches the stock bounce back to 80s with praise of "forward thinking and innovation".

It doesn't even require anything uncommon to happen.
The eastern market is huuuge. They only need 'marginal recongnition' there to equal sale numbers of 'well received' in the west.
Still - you'll not catch me investing till the price hits at least 45
It keeps falling!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA5DSjEdNJc
I was a stock trader, but what I see now, I can tell atvi is down to July numbers. But it’s just a correction in trend technically speaking.
12/11/2018 22:54Posted by Ubikk
I was a stock trader, but what I see now, I can tell atvi is down to July numbers. But it’s just a correction in trend technically speaking.

That may be true, but then again...
The stock started falling not only because of Diablos failure announcement but also the controversy of Black Ops 4, Investors call and all the negative feedback the company had gotten over the past week on Youtube, Twitter and Journalists..
Wow, £83.39 on the 2nd of October then constantly falling until $53.89 today, a fall of about 35%. I have to admit, this really makes we want Immortal to massively flop so that they don't recuperate their losses and learn their lesson. Then they might ask us what we want from them next and actually go ahead and make it.
The fact that ActivisionBlizzard stock went down is not due to Immortal, the very idea that we small time investors could even make a dent in the market price by selling the stock is rediculous. If it was that easy one could make a lot of money in the market taking advantage of that strategy.

No, the stock itself goes up and down via an array of reasons and Immortal is just a small fraction that goes into consideration here.

SP500 is volatile right now, many think we've reached the top and a new crash is immenent. Many stocks has fallen hard, if you compare Blizzards stock with others you'll see a common theme.

I agree to everything else, Diablo Immortal will go down in history as the worst stupid moranic idiotic game announcements ever. What a complete fail in every single way. I'm so angry at this company!

But..the stock..no, stop, think about it. Don't be so gullable, it's equally rediculous as to say there is a God :)
This is so satisfying for my broken heart!

Karma hits you for 21.7%!
It's super effective!

This is for the promised PVP in D:3...
"Pepperidge farm remembers"
I think the correct name is Activision-Netease.

Besides the logo, I have a hard time finding anything that relates to the blizzard brand as it used to be known.

Blizzard people are mostly gone, their policies most certainly are gone, and they no longer direct the games they used to be known for.

Activision-Netease.