Impale - cold build

Demon Hunter
Hello,

today i have tried to make my impale from lightning (ricochet) to cold (overpenetration) damage (this because I got a decent primal quiver that has cold and sadly had strafe so i had to choice). Now I confront a problem with my hatred. There is some time when with 2-3 impale throw, I just kill my hatred and i need to run/vault just to not die, but then, when I hit a pack of mobs.. it just jumps back to 100%, just like that.
So, what is this issue that I see here? If i use cold-impale (ci) on a single target i lose all my hatred but if I would target a pack of mobs it just stay filled up.. thus.. somehow I leech hatred from enemys ?
Just for the note, both cold and lightning have 20 hatred consume, but with lightning I never seen this issue above mentioned.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might lift this mystery up for me.
From what I remember about this build (2 seasons since I played Impale), you need to hit multiple targets to avoid using all hatred. I may be wrong, but that seems to ring bells for me.

One thing I noticed in your setup, you've got Numbing Traps as a passive, but as you don't use Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, Caltrops, Grenades or Sentry, it's pretty much useless. You might want to swap it out for another :)
14/10/2018 09:12Posted by Garrett
From what I remember about this build (2 seasons since I played Impale), you need to hit multiple targets to avoid using all hatred. I may be wrong, but that seems to ring bells for me.

One thing I noticed in your setup, you've got Numbing Traps as a passive, but as you don't use Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, Caltrops, Grenades or Sentry, it's pretty much useless. You might want to swap it out for another :)

So I did observed well, I do need to hit multiple enemy to keep my hatred up or I will lose it in few hits.
As for Numbing Traps, yes, I had fan of knives but then I realized that I can't help the party with that, so I have changed with Marked of Death for extra 15% damage. Thx for pointing this out, will change it with another passive.

Numbing traps works with any slow or chill you apply. So BotT and shadow power (if you active it like in the set dungeon)will trigger numbing traps.

Slow range:
BotT - 15 yards
FoK - 20 yards
SP- Nightbane - 30 yards.

Good thing is you can spam SP (you have unlimited disc for it) and it triggers also elusive ring.
So in a good position you should not vault and trigger SP.

Enemies you Slow, Chill, OR hit with Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, Caltrops, Grenades, and Sentry fire have their damage reduced by 25% for 5 seconds.

Numbing traps can also used for UE MS if you use thrill of the hunt for instance.

Regarding hatred:

In high grifts it won't matter (you can even other runes than cold or lightning).
In lower content you can run seethe.

Karlei:
The damage of Impale is increased by 344% and it returns 15 Hatred if it hits an enemy already Impaled.

Ricochet (lightning):
The knife ricochets to 2 additional nearby enemies within 20 yards of each other.

So your daggers split like a shotgun and you don't always hit perfectly an enemy with all 3. You often hit 2 or maybe three enemies that are close. Especially with trash that have small hitboxes. Then ricochet triggers and hits the nearby enemie that is already impaled - which results in hatred return.

If you fight a single target like ghom - hatred return will be the same.
Try it in a higher level rift, t13 is prob too easy.
15/10/2018 17:02Posted by Kindergarten

Numbing traps works with any slow or chill you apply. So BotT and shadow power (if you active it like in the set dungeon)will trigger numbing traps.

Slow range:
BotT - 15 yards
FoK - 20 yards
SP- Nightbane - 30 yards.

Good thing is you can spam SP (you have unlimited disc for it) and it triggers also elusive ring.
So in a good position you should not vault and trigger SP.

Enemies you Slow, Chill, OR hit with Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, Caltrops, Grenades, and Sentry fire have their damage reduced by 25% for 5 seconds.

Numbing traps can also used for UE MS if you use thrill of the hunt for instance.

Regarding hatred:

In high grifts it won't matter (you can even other runes than cold or lightning).
In lower content you can run seethe.

Karlei:
The damage of Impale is increased by 344% and it returns 15 Hatred if it hits an enemy already Impaled.

Ricochet (lightning):
The knife ricochets to 2 additional nearby enemies within 20 yards of each other.

So your daggers split like a shotgun and you don't always hit perfectly an enemy with all 3. You often hit 2 or maybe three enemies that are close. Especially with trash that have small hitboxes. Then ricochet triggers and hits the nearby enemie that is already impaled - which results in hatred return.

If you fight a single target like ghom - hatred return will be the same.

au contrare, even on higher GRs, cold can run into serious hatred management issues, if you get crappy mobs.

OP - if you're farming T13, switch vengeance from dark heart to seethe, and in the cube, aquila cuirass to visage of gunes. I also change the companion from wolf to bat. This also works well for the ricochet/lighting build variant.

With regards to GRs - anything under GR80 will test your patience with hatred management and the cold skill, especially if your DH is well geared with augments and high lgems etc. There's not much you can do about this . Try and avoid solitary monsters and impale/vault to larger mobs of monsters. Most players also pair cold with AD too. and stacked AD, as I'm finding out in s15, really does add up with killing trash mobs quickly.

As to lightning vs cold - lightning dmg uses the ricochet impale rune, which throws and additional 2 daggers. These count, and help towards your hatred management, and this is why lightning/ricochet has a better time of it.

Hope this helps.