Stash Tabs in 2.6.5 - Updated patch notes

General Discussion
Maybe they thought we wouldn't notice...
https://eu.diablo3.com/en/blog/22933131/patch-265-ptr-preview-3-29-2019
Additional stash space has been made available for all players
  • PC: The cap for earning additional stash tabs through the Season Journey has been raised from 4 to 9
  • PS4/XB1/Switch: All players will be able to purchase 70 additional stash spaces with gold upon login
  • Note: All tabs are available immediately upon login on PTR for testing purposes only

• In the initial version of the notes, the five extra Stash tabs were immediately available, purchased using gold. Blizzard have pulled a "bait and switch" and you now have to earn those five tabs by reaching Conqueror in a season. So, instead of immediately for gold this will now take you 15-18 months.
    FU blizz. Lucky me, I do not need more tabs :)
    Does anyone of them could imagine what this means? Really means and how this will make us think of you? If you would, could or should, then you would have to reconsider it. 5 seasons with 5 times stupid setdungeons to complete, 5 times their idea of achievements, like collect 50mios or search for this one special bounty event and have a Multishot Hunter with you. Could you understand why some of us, with all their time playing this game, will hate this decission to do 5 times again this thing, we hated even at first time. This is not a good idea thinking that we will be happy about this. Guess what, this is not the way to get players back and for new players it must be like even much more stupid to know I have to play a dozen of seasons to have stash in a 7 year old game. I guess you will lose players with this decission, for sure those ones who really enjoyed the thinking of getting 5 stash tabs now.
    I can work with the stash tabs I already got.
    I was surprised that the patch notes were not already like this when i first read them. I guess i should have expected them to change the requirements, but i was already looking forward to 5 free extra stash tabs :(
    A smack in the face of all players. But still as always in the PTR patch notes:
    Please note that this is a preview for PTR content, which is subject to change.
    which is subject to change doesnt mean you can screw over your player base whenever you see fit
    We get Galactic wings as compensation :-)
    10/04/2019 10:13Posted by Jazz
    We get Galactic wings as compensation :-)
    F*ck the wings, What we want are the stash tabs...pfff
    08/11/2018 12:10Posted by Kheluriel
    So, please (please!) keep sharing your feedback and be as articulate and civilized as you can.

Quite frankly, the decision to change this and just amend the patch notes in the hope that people wouldn't notice, absolutely sucks. Didn't this even rate highly enough for a stickied announcement?

More stash tabs is one of the most requested QoL improvements ever. You gave them to us. Players were happy. Now you've just bait and switched them from an immediate purchase when 2.6.5 goes live to requiring 15-18 months of seasonal Conqueror achievements. Heck, you're not even retro-granting them for people that already have more than four conqueror achievements, it's another five seasons.

At this point I'm disappointed but nothing you guys do these days surprises me any more. It's almost as if you're deliberately trying to erode what little good will anyone has left for you.

I can almost picture someone on stage saying...
    "What? Do you guys not have Stash tabs?"
    To be the Devils advocate here, it's quite a bit of data which takes a lot of memory. So it is probably not something they want to give to players not needing it, like myself.
    But I agree it's bad to change the notes in the way they did.
    10/04/2019 13:23Posted by PowerKing
    To be the Devils advocate here, it's quite a bit of data which takes a lot of memory.

Okay, let's spitball maths this...

Let's assume each item has a uniqueID number and that a LONGINT (32 bits) would be sufficiently long to accommodate those IDs.

Let's assume each affix has a unique ID number and that an INT (16 bits) would be sufficiently long to accommodate those IDs.

Let's assume each affix value can be held within an INT (16 bits).

Let's assume that an item has no more than 9 affixes (e.g. four primary, 2 secondary, caldesann's and some non-changeable legendary).

This means each item has a 32-bit unique ID and up to 9 pairs of 16-bit affix / value combinations, i.e. (1 * 32) + (9 * 16 * 2) = 320 bits = 40 bytes.

Okay, so five stash tabs is 7 * 10 * 5 storage spaces. Let's assume that we want to fill every single one of them with single square items rather than double square items. That's 7 * 10 * 5 = 350 squares. 350 * 40 bytes = 14,000 bytes = 1.4kb

So, how much extra storage would that entail, based on how many players bought the extra tabs and filled them with 350 items?

1 player = 1.4Kb
    10 players = 14Kb
    100 players = 140Kb
    1,000 players = 1400Kb = 1.4Mb
    10,000 players = 14,000Kb = 14Mb
    100,000 players = 140,000Kb = 140Mb
    1,000,000 players = 1,400,000Kb = 1,400Mb = 1.4Gb

Now let's assume that I've screwed up royally and I'm out by a factor of 100, i.e. the actual requirement would be 100 * 1.4Gb = 140Gb. Spread out between the three server regions that's under 50Gb per region. Let's assume each server farm is utilising server / NAS grade HDDs such as Toshiba N300 8TB NAS 3.5” SATA drives. These cost under £180 to consumers and a lot less in bulk. So, even assuming they had to add an additional drive per region, that's a worldwide cost of under £600, i.e. pretty trivial to a multi-billion dollar company like Blizzard.

I'd be amazed if it's memory / storage behind this.
    Yeah the expense of data storage argument does not really fly. It's cheap and keeps getting cheaper every year.
    It's irrelevant anyway. The expense would end up being the same no matter how the extra stash tabs were unlocked.
    I think the real reason is because Blizzard have a lot invested into their "play our seasons!" movement, and this further encourages people to playing them and rewards them for doing so.
    Could an oversight because the team on D3 is small now.
    Or it could be Wyatt Cheng or another "boss" stepping in saying. "Guys. Those five extra stash tabs in one go is not how we do it!" And thus the team had to change things.
    There's also this stickied thread from the PTR Bug Report forum...

Known Issue: Stash Tab Crash
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771356983
      There may be an issue where players who unlock all available stash tabs (including those earned from Reaper of Souls, the Deluxe edition, Rise of the Necromancer pack, all four available via the Season Journey, and the five included in Patch 2.6.5) may experience a game crash.

Gating the tabs behind 5 seasons gives them 15+ months to fix the bug.
    10/04/2019 06:49Posted by Meteorblade
    Maybe they thought we wouldn't notice...
    https://eu.diablo3.com/en/blog/22933131/patch-265-ptr-preview-3-29-2019
    Additional stash space has been made available for all players
  • PC: The cap for earning additional stash tabs through the Season Journey has been raised from 4 to 9
  • PS4/XB1/Switch: All players will be able to purchase 70 additional stash spaces with gold upon login
  • Note: All tabs are available immediately upon login on PTR for testing purposes only

• In the initial version of the notes, the five extra Stash tabs were immediately available, purchased using gold. Blizzard have pulled a "bait and switch" and you now have to earn those five tabs by reaching Conqueror in a season. So, instead of immediately for gold this will now take you 15-18 months.

lols! U cares men!?!? There's other world outside Blizzard! Just get out of there ;)
    Blizzard die!!!
    10/04/2019 16:20Posted by Meteorblade
    There's also this stickied thread from the PTR Bug Report forum...

Known Issue: Stash Tab Crash
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/d3/topic/20771356983
      There may be an issue where players who unlock all available stash tabs (including those earned from Reaper of Souls, the Deluxe edition, Rise of the Necromancer pack, all four available via the Season Journey, and the five included in Patch 2.6.5) may experience a game crash.

Gating the tabs behind 5 seasons gives them 15+ months to fix the bug.

The deluxe edition of Reaper of Souls does not include additional stash space btw. No-one buy it based upon that inaccurate information in the sticky.
    10/04/2019 17:35Posted by Noodles
    The deluxe edition of Reaper of Souls does not include additional stash space btw. No-one buy it based upon that inaccurate information in the sticky.

Not only that, there have been precisely zero reports of this crash in the thread.
    I have all 17 stash tabs on PTR and haven't crashed at all.
    The forums will be toxic after this… :-(