Disconnect

General Discussion
What is going on lately?
I have DC's at least 5 times in 2-3 hrs playing (even solo), showing error code 1016.
I have a very stable cable connection (400 Mb) with low latency (~30 ms).
This is getting frustrating, especially when running GR and bounties (group play)...
Running a Traceroute
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/7870

Running a PATHPING
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/7871

Blizzard Looking-Glass Tool
http://eu-looking-glass.battle.net/

Contact Blizzard Tech Support regarding Connection Problems
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/help/product/diablo3/273/277/channels
There could be local things on your computer that interferes with the game. It could be other apps or services kicking in while you play, looking for updates, applying updates, running scans etc. Diablo is quite vulnerable to these things it seems. You could try a scan and repair from the battlenet app to ensure that all the game files are okay. Windows 10 also has the possibility to let you go into "game mode" while you play (you'll have to google how to turn game mode on).
24/04/2019 12:17Posted by Jazz
There could be local things on your computer that interferes with the game. It could be other apps or services kicking in while you play, looking for updates, applying updates, running scans etc. Diablo is quite vulnerable to these things it seems. You could try a scan and repair from the battlenet app to ensure that all the game files are okay. Windows 10 also has the possibility to let you go into "game mode" while you play (you'll have to google how to turn game mode on).

24/04/2019 12:17Posted by Jazz

Thanks for the suggestions.
Windows game mode was on and D3 had been added to the 'Do not disturb mode' in Avast.
Most of my friends are having the same problem lately.
I've been playing D3 since the beginning and never encountered this number of DC's. I'm completely kicked out of Battle Net, i.e. I have to log in again and it takes quite long before my heroes list appears.
I'm an IT Sys Admin, so I guess it's safe to say that (after checking items related to the network) the internet connection is not the cause of the problem.
24/04/2019 12:37Posted by MxBad
I'm an IT Sys Admin, so I guess it's safe to say that (after checking items related to the network) the internet connection is not the cause of the problem.

In which case you should be well aware that there are many hops between your PC and the Blizzard server farm, any one of which could have a temporary problem that causes the drop-out, all of which are out of Blizzard's and your ISP's responsibility and purview. That's why the pathping / looking glass tool, used whilst you're having the problem, are useful to determine which, if any, of the hops are dropping packets as it will determine which intermediary router is the cause.
24/04/2019 12:45Posted by Meteorblade
24/04/2019 12:37Posted by MxBad

In which case you should be well aware that there are many hops between your PC and the Blizzard server farm, any one of which could have a temporary problem that causes the drop-out, all of which are out of Blizzard's and your ISP's responsibility and purview. That's why the pathping / looking glass tool, used whilst you're having the problem, are useful to determine which, if any, of the hops are dropping packets as it will determine which intermediary router is the cause.

Yes I know. Anyway this is not something I can solve as the cause is not on the client side. Strange though that I'm getting kicked out of Battle Net: I have to reenter my username and password. Is this 'normal behavior' after a DC?
In the past I could restart gaming without the need to do so...
Whether you have to re-authenticate each time or not is due to your Battle.net client settings. If you enable the following two options you should only have to re-authenticate if you change which PC you log in from...
Battle.net launcher
Settings
General
Security Settings
[ x ] Remember Email Address
[ x ] Keep Me Logged In
24/04/2019 13:39Posted by Meteorblade
Whether you have to re-authenticate each time or not is due to your Battle.net client settings. If you enable the following two options you should only have to re-authenticate if you change which PC you log in from...
Battle.net launcher
Settings
General
Security Settings
[ x ] Keep Me Logged In
24/04/2019 21:14Posted by MxBad
24/04/2019 13:39Posted by Meteorblade
Battle.net launcher
Settings
General
Security Settings
[ x ] Keep Me Logged In

That's the point!
Both are set so normally I don't have to re-authenticate.
It's only after getting error 1016 that I have to do so.
24/04/2019 21:18Posted by MxBad
That's the point!
Both are set so normally I don't have to re-authenticate.
It's only after getting error 1016 that I have to do so.

Once you get a 1016 (generic network interruption) you will be put back to the in-game authentication screen. If you exit the client and re-launch it, your cached credentials will be auto-supplied and you'll be logged back in successfully without having to type them back in.
Should be looked into by Blizz, me and alot of clanmates have the same issue with 1016 DCs this season. Frustrating to say the least.
Got the exact same issue since last update.
Get DC with 1016 errors all the time, playing has become impossible!
Welcome to season 17 ;)
Cant believe that with the amount of posts related to that very issue we still get the "check your pc and your connection" answer.
Come on Blizzard, please look into it seriously !
21/05/2019 02:16Posted by SirBo
Cant believe that with the amount of posts related to that very issue we still get the "check your pc and your connection" answer.

That's because, for the vast majority of times connection problems occur, the fault lies outside of Blizzard's purview, i.e. the fault is local to the PC, your ISP or an intermediary network hop that has nothing to do with your ISP or Blizzard. The articles I linked to are designed to establish exactly where the fault lies.
Well it's because a lot can happen from your provider to your screen. If you can prove nothing is wrong with your connection and PC they will take a serious look at the problem.

I (from eu) have played in 3 different regions this season and no problems so far...