Hardcore players, how do you want Arena to work?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 Next
It's like discussing with people from medieval if sun is turning around the earth or the opposite. "ofc you lose=you die, this is hardcore, /thread" ;]

You should try to think about some more complicated aspects of implementing only HC arena before you post.

You will never go to HC arena with your lvl 60 HC character and we both know it. That means you are carebear who hates PvP if you do not want to allow for a spar mode.

You don't know !@#$, you just assume, but its pointless to talk with people like you that think they are the owners of truth. You are afraid to lose your character and the carebear is me yeah right lol

So... you will PvP on HC arena every time you want to pvp? And how often is that?
I don't get your problem @AiurDJS. You should just create a SC character aswell to play pvp (if they really end up with an arena system in the final release).

Problem solved. Play hardcore PvE and softcore PvP. Would be pretty much the same if your HC character would not die in a duel / arena match.
I don't get your problem @AiurDJS. You should just create a SC character aswell to play pvp (if they really end up with an arena system in the final release).

Problem solved. Play hardcore PvE and softcore PvP. Would be pretty much the same if your HC character would not die in a duel / arena match.

I can see you don't get it ;]

I am not saying that all pvp in HC mode should be death-free or something.

I am telling you, and try to understand it, that if you can't escape from PvP on HC mode, then NOBODY will pvp in it because it is a 50% gamble with your character on stake. Even if you'd WANT to pvp, you won't be able to, because there will be like a 5 hour queue to get into arena. Is it so hard to comprehend?

to put it simple: not implementing spar mode for HC arenas is the same as not implementing them at all.
I do understand your point, but it doesn't change anything.

Creating a spar mode for HC is just not acceptable. Creating hardcore arenas just like that is more acceptable, but it doesn't make much sense (as you pointed out).

However, again and again and again, it just makes no sense to have a spar mode in hardcore. That totally screws up the whole idea (is that so hard to comprehend aswell?).
I do understand your point, but it doesn't change anything.

Creating a spar mode for HC is just not acceptable. Creating hardcore arenas just like that is more acceptable, but it doesn't make much sense (as you pointed out).

However, again and again and again, it just makes no sense to have a spar mode in hardcore. That totally screws up the whole idea (is that so hard to comprehend aswell?).

It's not "changing hardcore arenas like that"... ;/

I see you play starcraft... so I'll say it like this, to make it more simple:
HC arena = Ladder mode (you lose you die) + Custom games mode (you lose you try again)

you don't have to change anything, just add another way to play arenas on HC servers that doesn't include losing your character in 50% cases.

no, I don't get it, how does it screw HC mode to have a spar arena?
Lose = dead and dead team members of the winning team stay dead. I don't see what other option there is. You wanted hardcore, then don't be a %!!%% when you're doing pvp. Make a sc character if you're scared to die to others.

Queue time? Well, duh! Diablo is not a pvp game.

As for items: every living player at the end of the match gets one random item the dead team was wearing in their mail. The item will possibly be named after the dead guy you beat.

"The late Barbaman's Stormshield"
obviously hc arena means hc arena...

if you die, you die

being other way than this is negating completely what the hardcore mode is.
Three modes: spar, deathmatch and arena

Spar mode: fight ends when one of the participants has 1 hp. You can't die in a spar.

Deathmatch mode: loser dies. Death is permanent.

Arena Tournament: the winner of the last Arena Tournament is proclaimed Imperator and spectates every match. Fights in Arenas are Spars by default, but at any time during the game, the Imperator can decide that it will be a deathmatch instead. This decision is irreversible and can happen once per game.
At the end of the Arena tournament, the victor can choose to fight the Imperator in either a spar or a deathmatch for the title of Imperator for the next tournament. The Imperator cannot refuse.

The Winner of that last fight gets all the gear of all the players that were killed during the Arena Tournament. The loser either dies or walks back in shame.

You do realise that Imperator idea is one of the worst suggestions I've ever read?

General rule of online games: If one can do anything to harm another HE WILL do it. Imagine the awful amount of harassing that would occur with that system....Oh the possibilities... delicious!

EDIT: However, I did like the idea of the spar and deathmatch modes.

EDIT 2: Another suggestion, spar is just that, spar, there is no loot, money, bets, involved, however, deathmatch could have a betting system built into it and, ofc, the winner gets the loser's loot.
I made up the Imperator system as a joke, specifically to for an even more hardcore system than deathmatch hardcore PVP itself, and to do that I needed to add player cruelty, grief, mercilessness, revenge and otherwise strong trolling emotions into the loop, so yeah I am fully aware of the things you mentioned. They are the fuel for the suggestion.
Death on hardcore should always be final. If we have it any other way it is not hardcore. And any arguement that Arenas will not be populated and the playing will not work etc are moot. It is not hardcore if you do not die. Final. .... noh... I said it is final. If there is any change here it will not be hardcore.

We need a hard line separating all aspects of hardcore from softcore. Especially since there is a large economy difference with AH and RMAH differences.

Just accept this.
hmm how about, 2v2/3v3 or w/e and the first one to die makes the other team win?

and your teammates get to loot your body just like in d2 (so you dont loose it all)!
and the team that wins gets to pick an item or something =)

you generally had an looter when you pvped anyway in D2 so you wouldn't loose all your items when you died...
I kind of hope that Diablo3 Arena will be balanced and competitive. Just like how games as StarcraftII, League of Legends and DotA2 are balanced and competitive.

If PvP is balanced in Diablo3, then I will definitely buy the game and play it for years! ^_^
And yes, I will also love and play the PvE aspect of Diablo3. But after a while a game only exist for me because of it's PvP aspect.
I kind of hope that Diablo3 Arena will be balanced and competitive. Just like how games as StarcraftII, League of Legends and DotA2 are balanced and competitive.

If PvP is balanced in Diablo3, then I will definitely buy the game and play it for years! ^_^
And yes, I will also love and play the PvE aspect of Diablo3. But after a while a game only exist for me because of it's PvP aspect.

You should look up the stance the dev team takes towards PvP then. They made extremely clear, several times, that Diablo is a PvE game. PvP is just for fun. They will not try to overbalance it, as they said they knew which sacrifice the Starcraft devteam and the WoW devteam brought and that they don't want that for Diablo. So don't expect a balanced PvP game.
They also said that there will be speccs which basically own in PvP and that this is what PvP in Diablo is about. Not balance every "specc" and class perfectly, but to find that one specc that will rule tham all =)
Just to re-emphasize what has previously been said on the topic of PvP in this game, Diablo III is not en eSport game, and there will be no leagues and ladders system as for an example seen in StarCraft II. That being said, there will be a form of hidden matchmaking system in place to make sure that the arenas are fun to play.

There will also be PvP achievements and such in the game, but there are no plans for a public ranking system.
I believe that it is said (by Bashiok, unless I'm mistaken) that there will be PvP in HC with permadeath and that's all there is for now. I am asuming those arena games are seperate from SC, as all HC games (and AH) are.
01/10/2011 19:33Posted by Cpdoom
I agree on having these two since it would remove the necessity of having SC characters for practice.

So you want people to be able to buy all the best gear they can afford off the AH and then deathmatch... uhuh
HC permanent death Arena wouldn't work...

How much people will actually be able to reach level 60 on HC and form a team of other 60's that are willing to risk loosing their character each match in Arena?

I think you will be VERY surprised at how many people ARE willing to HC arena. I know if it was me.... I'd practice an awful lot with my SC before stepping into a HC arena. I think in this day of everything being recordable, then fame awaits the person that excels in HC PvP.
If you want to have things other than HC, play SC? tht simple oO
19/10/2011 16:22Posted by Vaneras
That being said, there will be a form of hidden matchmaking system in place to make sure that the arenas are fun to play.

THIS, is a major problem.
THE MATCH MAKING SYSTEM.

If we cant chose WHO we fight it would be like rolling a dice, the matchmaking system is made to put you up against players (sometimes better than you, sometimes worse) without you having a say. Statistically speaking we will surely die just because the matchmaking system put you up against some insanely skilled player who you would NEVER accept a challenge from in the first place. I propose 2 possible solutions:

1) Some kind of surrender function where you lose and are heavily penalised. This could be a "fight or flee" scenario, where you have a slim chance of escaping the arena or die a shameful death at the feet of your nemesis knowing you will be remembered as the coward who ran.
2) Give us the option to say yes or no to a fight (I think this is the best one)

I dont want to put the life of my HC character in the hands of the matchmaking system, I want to make an educated evaluation of my opponent and try to crush him.
Sounds very blindfold to me.

Diablo III is not en eSport game, and there will be no leagues and ladders system as for an example seen in StarCraft II.

You got it. Diablo is no eSport game. So, why introduce an arena system ? That is just an insult to the game itself. Diablo needs no competition like that. But on the other hand, you will introduce an arena system and all the sudden, it doesn't have a public ranking, it will not be balanced and only a very very basic matchmaking system.

Seriously, everybody with a few gram brain left has to ask himself, who on gods nice earth is making those decisions there at Blizzard ? Again, blindfold.

Either go all the way (or more precisely, not only 10%) or just skip the whole bad idea. Why do I again have the feeling some wierdo WoW coders/fans over there at Blizzard are responsible for this whole mess.

Your dev team could use like 50% Blizzard North, probably more like 80.