Countries left out Beta-key sweepstakes

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
I'm totally amazed by the immaturity on these forums lol. Suuuurrreee......Blizzard deliberately left out lots of countries from that list because they hate them and want to laugh up their sleeves and point at them....hurr...hurr...

Seriously?

Come on people...it's obvious there is a serious legal reason they can't offer this sweepstake in those countries for whatever reason and it's nothing to do with you personally or hating your country. It's the only reason Blizzard wouldn't want to advertise this game in as many countries as possible.
I can't understand why have someone reported the OP.
He is just expressing his opinion...

Anyway, what annoys me even more than not having beta-keys nor RAF in Portugal is the language stuff.
In Spain they speak Spanish and not some other south American dialect, guess why.
So, why on earth Portugal receives the things in Brazilian language?! Either Blizzard doesn't know History facts or they really think Portuguese is really hard to learn.

(and don't come with economic facts, because trust me...if Pt goes down, Spain will go down too, see...economic facts as I am an Economist myself)
12/10/2011 08:01Posted by Aice
Repeating to yourself and others a rumor is not enough, sorry. We need proof.

With a reply like that Im glad you ( as a person sorry for the other Portugal guys) are not part of the Diablo 3 community.

Seriously. He gives the right answer that is 100% obvious but you just ignore and mock it.
What the f´????

Do you really want an answer or just be impolite ?
Im not clicking the Chat gem and skull anymore... That will teach them!
12/10/2011 07:53Posted by Aice
I find it very hard to comprehend why we keep being left out on promotions like RECRUIT A FRIEND for WOW, or others of the sort. I'm a very reasonable man, and I'm willing to listen to your point of view, but I think it's time you stop hiding behind these forums and start giving us people being left out a clear explanation on how this keeps happening.

Hey Aice, I can perfectly understand your point here. You're correct, some countries are usually not able to take part in some of our promotions / offers / deals / sweepstakes.

First of all, I would like to point out that there is no benefit to us to not offering these promotions in all European countries. We always try to reach out to all of our players and we definitely don't want to keep countries out of the loop. Unfortunately, this isn't always our call.

Every country has different legal restrictions, and this restrictions will determine if a particular offer or initiative will be available to a specific country.
I cannot go into details because there are just too many examples, it's impossible to examine them on a case by case basis.

Long story short, some of our initiatives are classified as "gambling" in some countries, as "pyramid schemes" in others, and so on. Some laws just state that any promotion, deal, or offer that allows additional benefits to be gained as a result of bringing further people to the game would be classed as unacceptable.

As you can imagine, it's a difficult situation, but we're definitely aware of the fact that all of our players would like to have the opportunity of taking part in our initiatives.

We don't care about the number of players we have in a specific country, we just want to involve as many people as possible.

If you believe that we may be missing out a country that would indeed allow this kind of scheme without issue then you’re welcome to contact our legal team purely to draw their attention to the situation.
So why even hold a Sweepstake? You can easily just sent out 2000 extra invites through the normal beta program. So you bypass the sweepstake laws.
Thanks for the reply Zhydaris, nice to see a blue reply. But according to what you said, it is considered gambling. I have a question then, for example the lottery(talking about Portugal now). The lottery is considered gambling I supose because you pay a certain ammount of money, you chose some random numbers and then there's the chance you might or might not get the numbers right. Isn't it the same with the sweepstakes? People sign in, and people get chosen randomly. In the lottery, people pay, chose random numbers and hopefully get lucky. I think it's the same but there might be something more to it on the sweepstakes I don't know, that's why I am asking. Thanks for the reply
I do not consider it a lottery or gambling if you dont pay something for it to take part...
12/10/2011 12:44Posted by Bulls
So why even hold a Sweepstake? You can easily just sent out 2000 extra invites through the normal beta program. So you bypass the sweepstake laws.

Because doing it via Facebook promotes Facebook

The purpose isn't just to send additional 2000 beta keys, it's also to promote the Facebook.
12/10/2011 12:49Posted by Bulls
I do not consider it a lottery or gambling if you dont pay something for it to take part...

What you consider is highly irrelevant in this matter, unless you yourself can rewrite laws - which I doubt you can.
12/10/2011 12:47Posted by Izt
Thanks for the reply Zhydaris, nice to see a blue reply. But according to what you said, it is considered gambling. I have a question then, for example the lottery(talking about Portugal now). The lottery is considered gambling I supose because you pay a certain ammount of money, you chose some random numbers and then there's the chance you might or might not get the numbers right. Isn't it the same with the sweepstakes? People sign in, and people get chosen randomly. In the lottery, people pay, chose random numbers and hopefully get lucky. I think it's the same but there might be something more to it on the sweepstakes I don't know, that's why I am asking. Thanks for the reply

Yes, I see your point. Problem is, every country classifies these sweepstakes differently.

Honestly, I don't really want to discuss the details regarding specific countries because I'm not a member of the Legal department and I might overlook something, or even worse, misinterpret the laws and such, therefore my answer would either be incomplete or plainly wrong. And we don't want that, do we? :D

My suggestion is to get in touch with our Legal department, to be honest. I can assure you that we always try to include as many countries as possible, that's for sure.

Yes, I see your point. Problem is, every country classifies these sweepstakes differently.

Honestly, I don't really want to discuss the details regarding specific countries because I'm not a member of the Legal department and I might overlook something, or even worse, misinterpret the laws and such, therefore my answer would either be incomplete or plainly wrong. And we don't want that, do we? :D

My suggestion is to get in touch with our Legal department, to be honest. I can assure you that we always try to include as many countries as possible, that's for sure.

Thanks again, I guess I will do so, because IMO, the lottery is as much gambling as betting on horse races, you pay money and you might or might not get it back. In China for example, there is no lottery because it is considered gambling, which is not allowed there. And since we got lottery here I guess it isn't any different, but I will be sure to contact them :) (how to do so btw?)
12/10/2011 12:37Posted by Zhydaris
I find it very hard to comprehend why we keep being left out on promotions like RECRUIT A FRIEND for WOW, or others of the sort. I'm a very reasonable man, and I'm willing to listen to your point of view, but I think it's time you stop hiding behind these forums and start giving us people being left out a clear explanation on how this keeps happening.

Hey Aice, I can perfectly understand your point here. You're correct, some countries are usually not able to take part in some of our promotions / offers / deals / sweepstakes.

First of all, I would like to point out that there is no benefit to us to not offering these promotions in all European countries. We always try to reach out to all of our players and we definitely don't want to keep countries out of the loop. Unfortunately, this isn't always our call.

Every country has different legal restrictions, and this restrictions will determine if a particular offer or initiative will be available to a specific country.
I cannot go into details because there are just too many examples, it's impossible to examine them on a case by case basis.

Long story short, some of our initiatives are classified as "gambling" in some countries, as "pyramid schemes" in others, and so on. Some laws just state that any promotion, deal, or offer that allows additional benefits to be gained as a result of bringing further people to the game would be classed as unacceptable.

As you can imagine, it's a difficult situation, but we're definitely aware of the fact that all of our players would like to have the opportunity of taking part in our initiatives.

We don't care about the number of players we have in a specific country, we just want to involve as many people as possible.

If you believe that we may be missing out a country that would indeed allow this kind of scheme without issue then you’re welcome to contact our legal team purely to draw their attention to the situation.

Thank you for your explanation on this matter, and on the reply to Izt aswell.

As I said before, I will look into this, starting by approaching your legal department trying to figure out just where this conflicts with our country's laws.

Larzarus: I was "impolite"? I just merely stated the fact I needed proof. Did I call him an idiot? Since when do you trust anything anyone writes on an internet forum, without being a part of the company who is responsible for the game?

And to be honest, you saying you're glad I'm not in the D3 Community is in fact much more of an offense than anything I wrote in this post, so please learn the forum rules before bashing at anyone else, freely.
12/10/2011 12:57Posted by Zhydaris

Normally i would agree that contacting your legal department would be the best thing to do, but in this case, given that this competition won't be running for more than 2 months, i think it's pretty important to get this information expedited as quickly as possible.

If we go by Snailmail half the competition may be over when your legal department are finally aware of the law, and then who knows how long it takes before you adjust the competition?

Personally i think you should use this thread to compile information and sources on the people who think that their laws may currently allow this competition, let it run for a week, send it off to legal, and if there is any truth to it, adjust the competition accordingly.
12/10/2011 12:44Posted by Bulls

they want zillion LIKE button pushes in Facebook.

PR value = $$$$

they want zillion LIKE button pushes in Facebook.

PR value = $$$$

This. They found a way to cash in on the beta.

Oh God, 2012 feels faaar away. Time to cast some more Hydras :O
just choose Poland!
12/10/2011 12:47Posted by Izt

the national lottery (or however it is called in Portugal) has government granted licenses, which makes it legal again.

Blizzard has not.
If you want it that bad, change your country on facebook and opt-in via another, no one will care.
Countries that do not allow games to be published unless they have ESRB Rating, Or Countries that have strict policies over games may not participate in Blizzards beta. Not only Diablo but all the games of Blizzard.

That is the most official reply you will get at this time.