MacOS X - Cannot Initialize Streaming SOLVED

Technical Support
Since I did not sleep most of the night thinking about "WHAT ELSE COULD I DO TO FIX THIS???" I figured I would share my wisdom.

In case you are still getting the notorious "Cannot initialize streaming" even after the evening after launch date this could help.

PREREQUISITES FOR THIS TO WORK:
- your system volume is case sensitive (see below how to check)
- you have another hard-drive at hand other than the case-sensitive one

0) Start the Diablo III installer and wait for the "Cannot initialize streaming" error message. This will create some files and folders that will later have to be moved.

1) open Disk Utility and look at the volume your system runs on (usually called Macintosh HD) - if you find "Case-sensitive" in the desicritpion in the lower left part of the window, then this tutorial is for you and will fix your issue

2) now that you are in Disk Utility press "Repair Disk Permissions" just for good measure, it will take a couple of minutes, you dont have to wait for it stop before continuing on

3) open the Terminal app and type in "cd /Users/Shared" and then "ls" - I did have 3 Blizzard related items there: Battle.net, Blizzard Entertainment and Blizzard, this might be different for you (if you don't play SC2 or WoW), the most important one is Battle.net, but I will treat them as equal

4) now you will need to have another HDD install Diablo 3 on, this one has to be case-insensitive, in my case I have a second internal HDD which is mapped to /Volumes/HDD

5) now lets prepare a directory on our case-insensitive drive, type the following into terminal

mkdir -p /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared
mv Battle.net Blizzard Blizzard\ Entertainment/ /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared/

NOTE: replace /Volumes/HDD with /Volumes/whatever-your-second-hdd-name-is, the first command may require admin rights, make sure you are an admin!

6) the final step is to create symlinks so that the installer is able to find these dirs, copy these into your terminal window

ln -s /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared/Blizzard Blizzard
ln -s /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared/Blizzard\ Entertainment/ Blizzard\ Entertainment
ln -s /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared/Battle.net/ Battle.net

7) make sure that your Diablo III instalation files are also located on the case-insensitive volume

8) start the Diablo III Setup and enjoy the game :) or, as I do now, enjoy the login screen of the game

Cheers!

EDIT: Vote so this becomes sticky and easy to find!
EDIT 2: Added Step zero.
EDIT 3: mention installing from case-insensitive volume (step 7)
OMG, You're a God! Been crying all night long for this.
Blues, this has been trouble for CSFS.

It gives a "Cannot initialize streaming" error which is WAY MISLEADING! Your solutions for errors like this are related to firewall but in CSFS that is not the case.

Please help the other out there.
me too, tyx very much :))))))))
but i got another poblem, i can't open the setup, it writes: You cannot use this version of the application Diablo III setup with this version of Mac OS X, what i must do to instal it ???
15/05/2012 17:58Posted by Баиме
but i got another poblem, i can't open the setup, it writes: You cannot use this version of the application Diablo III setup with this version of Mac OS X, what i must do to instal it ???

Maybe that's another problem. All I did was to re download the Diablo 3 Setup. =)
Thanks mate, that fixed my issues. Installing now :D!
This was a huge help. Finally able to install the game.
12 years of development, extensive Beta. And they didn't catch THIS?! OMFG!!!

Blizzard please patch ASAP!! Not all of us want to play D3 off external drives.
You Are the BOSSS :)
Thank you SO much! This worked perfectly!
FINALLY Able to install. I can't thank you enough!
Still got ERROR: unable to initialize streaming...

and several other errors depending on where I run Diablo III setup (unable to initialize is using the setup from the desktop and the Battle.net on /Users/Shared)
Now I'm getting this error:

"The file '/users/shared/Blizzard.temp' could not be renamed to '/users/shared/Blizzard' "

Any fix for this?
perhaps they need another year?;) what a joy killer this bug is...:P
I tried exactly that (I think).

Created a new Diablo III.sparsebundle (not case sensitive: Apple sparse bundle disk image) with 20gb to hold the game and another with 12gb to hold the installer and /Users/Shared/Battle.net and Diablo III setup.

I deleted the /Users/Shared/Battle.net and ran the setup. It creates a new battle.net in /Users/Shared. I then proceed to move this folder to /Users/Diablo-Installer/Users/Shared and create a symbolic link (/Users/Diablo-Installer/Users/Shared/Battle.net -> /Users/Shared/Battle.net)

Still get "ERROR: unable to initialize streaming. Please check your Internet connection. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (InitializeStreaming)"

:(

Anyone in the same boat?
Funniest thing is that once it installed up to 41% before giving an error... would be happy now to have even that...
Still got ERROR: unable to initialize streaming...

and several other errors depending on where I run Diablo III setup (unable to initialize is using the setup from the desktop and the Battle.net on /Users/Shared)

Never run the setup in /Users/Shared. Download the setup to case insensitive volume. And run from there. Once it fails with Cannot initialize streaming proceed with the steps above and you should be fine.
I tried exactly that (I think).

Created a new Diablo III.sparsebundle (...

Hmm this is strange. Having installer and the game on different volumes could-be but should not be an issue.

One thing you are doing wrong for sure is that you need to have those /Users/Shared folders on your "game" volume, not on your "isntaller" volume.

Also the error you are mentioning seems like the installer is tryint to override your symlinked Battle.net folder. I would suggest to remove the symlink, let the installer fail and then proceed according to the manual above with the newly created Battle.net folder.
15/05/2012 08:00Posted by Eleaonor
/U

mkdir -p /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared
mv Battle.net Blizzard Blizzard\ Entertainment/ /Volumes/HDD/Users/Shared/

keeps telling me permission dienid and i am the owner.. it never asked me for any password or nothing witch i no it... were did i go wrong? did i need to typ it any were specificly?
?
Thx! This does not only work for Diablo, but solved also the problem with the Wow Beta installer!

However if you use this to install Diablo and later want to install MoP, than one need to temporarily move the "Blizzard related folders" back because somehow the 2nd installer throws an Error if it needs to create a new folder (Mo4) in my case.

After the first launch (and before installing) one need to move the directories back to the case-insensitive formatted disc and re-create the symbolic links.

again thx to eleaonor!