New repair costs and the "L2P" crowd

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
21/06/2012 18:01Posted by Ghostlight
You CAN L2P in easier difficulties/acts

Do go on....how? I cannot fire a spell as I will simply one-shot everything even with gimped gear. So how exactly can I practise doing damage while not getting hit under those circumstances???

And even if I could, do you not see the ludicrousness of your suggestion? To get better at <something> you need to repeatedly try doing <something>. Hell and Inferno and utterly different.

I guess my emphasis was lost in text. I meant to imply that it IS possible to practice on earlier difficulties or Acts, but not necessarily ideal. As for how to do it without just face rolling it? Well, something as simple as equipping a !@#$ty white 100 DPS weapon would work. That way, you won't just one shot everything, but will have to play in a similar manner to that in Inferno - choosing when and how to DPS, when to move, when to run, how to dodge, etc etc.

Also, as someone said, if you're getting one-shot, chances are your gear is up to par for the act you're in. You should be able to survive a handful of normal hits at least.
"L2P".. People who repeat this !@#$ again and again don't know what they are talking about. I am a wizard, I have 800 - 900 resist and I can almost tank in act 2. That's not skill, that's my gear. I just stand still and shoot.

I don't die so I don't lose gold in the process. I understand though people struggling with the repair costs. This game is about gear. You can't get good gear without a %^-*load of gold or without €/£. Basic logic here.
Bane The Fortune Teller strikes again...
Progress also stopped for me, to expensive so im grinding act 1 and 2 now... wich is getting boring.

But u know why they upped the repair costs right? Its so people have alot harder time grinding in game gold to use on AH to get better gear. So instead they have to go do Real money AH and spend their real money on fake stuff to be able to finish a game they bought for a hefty sum.

In my mind this is a fraud and should be reported to authorities. Also blizzard ones again devaluates the online gaming industry by selling a non finished product by the millions ( error 37 and game balance issue ) and getting away with it.
I wonder if siemens had sold few millions microwave ovens that would not work properly, would they ever get over that ? Blizzard however thinks of software ( in this case a game ) is something that is ok to fix later and sell when not rdy

It will bring the economy back in line with what should be. If you think it's fruad go try to take them to court over it and lose all your real life money trying. But atleast you can then claim your doing something more productive than whining on here. You also finished/completed the game 3 times prior to inferno so don't say stupid things like cannot complete it without spending a "hefty sum".
You CAN L2P in easier difficulties/acts

Do go on....how? I cannot fire a spell as I will simply one-shot everything even with gimped gear. So how exactly can I practise doing damage while not getting hit under those circumstances???

And even if I could, do you not see the ludicrousness of your suggestion? To get better at <something> you need to repeatedly try doing <something>. Hell and Inferno and utterly different.

I agree. This suggestion would be like telling a musician to progress at their instrument by playing easy pieces over and over again. I am a musician - I can tell you, unequivicably, that it does not work like that. One makes progress by practicing progressively difficult music. This would be made very difficult if you had to pay out of the backside every time you played a wrong note.
Of course this would be to compare playing a gear based computer game to playing a musical instrument which is silly because one requires skill, hard work, dedication and patience and the other requires only a lot of repetative easy farming or a credit card. The only thing you need plenty of for both --- is patience. If the person who suggested this was in any way right then they would be implying that progress in the game requires skill. It doesn't. It requires gear. Getting gear is the problem with diablo 3 and it has bugger all to do with skill or practice. Unlike playing an instrument - where getting a better instrument will not improve your playing one bit this is all about getting the better instrument and then pretending that it somehow makes you a better player.....
I do love these "gamers" who claim that getting better gear is a demonstration of skill.

As a side note - if all of this has an effect in levelling the GAH a little then some good will have come from it. I find it all more than a little bit silly in there! lol
I agree. This suggestion would be like telling a musician to progress at their instrument by playing easy pieces over and over again. I am a musician - I can tell you, unequivicably, that it does not work like that. One makes progress by practicing progressively difficult music. This would be made very difficult if you had to pay out of the backside every time you played a wrong note.
Of course this would be to compare playing a gear based computer game to playing a musical instrument which is silly because one requires skill, hard work, dedication and patience and the other requires only a lot of repetative easy farming or a credit card. The only thing you need plenty of for both --- is patience. If the person who suggested this was in any way right then they would be implying that progress in the game requires skill. It doesn't. It requires gear. Getting gear is the problem with diablo 3 and it has bugger all to do with skill or practice. Unlike playing an instrument - where getting a better instrument will not improve your playing one bit this is all about getting the better instrument and then pretending that it somehow makes you a better player.....
I do love these "gamers" who claim that getting better gear is a demonstration of skill.

Skill can overcome gear deficit to a certain extent, and gear certainly overcomes skill deficit in this game. Basically, if you do not have the gear, you can practice and adapt and squeeze more progression out than is normal for your gear. If you have the gear, the only thing skill is gonna do is speed up your progression further.

And you can practice for inferno in hell, if you adapt your gear appropriately. It's not ideal, and not a fool proof way to do it, sure. I was merely pointing out that it IS possible, and CAN help.

But, meh, people don't want to see the forest for the trees.

Also, not sure if the last line is aimed at me or not, but I never once equated better gear with skill, and never will.

Not true, it does require a level of skill. You need to know what skills work well with what affixes and tactics for bosses and elites plus other mobs. It is not about using a better instrument alone, even with good gear you can still die in inferno if you stand around like a lemon spamming the wrong skills. L2P means tactics for when undergeared it also means learn how to use resources whether thats gear, stats and skills even using the AH better to benefit.
In response to Bane...

no - the last line was not aimed at you - it was a generic observation

I sympathise with the point you are making and don't entirely disagree - but really there isn't any skill involved in getting round some of those mad elite combos. As a monk, if faced with eg plagued, jailer, frozen, arcane - then I am either going to simply die or blind luck might get me through. It is repeatedly hitting that sort of thing that has brought me to a brick wall. I can pretty much handle the rest in act two but I have still to get zoltan kulle's blood. Last few times I tried I hit 6 packs of elites in the caves - which I HAD to get past to get the blood. On one of those occassions I had managed to clear about 4 elite packs but found myself bricked in by insane combos that I simply could not get past. It was a case of leave the game or smash the laptop.
If they would simply remove the unfair combos I would be happy.
this is not encouraging me to use the RMAH as now the gold return from the gold AH is more valuble to me than the money from the RMAH, its also discouraging me from playing with other players.

& to the guy that said he'd found 3 1k+ dps weapons in one afternoon in Act ONE, i believe your statment is quite some distance from what we commonly call "the truth"

I seem to recall that somewhere along the story i assisted a blacksmith & paid for him to be trained, now to make things for me he asks that i bring the materials to him & he charges me, and he cant repair my items. - you know, he did ask me to help him kill his wife & he does kinda look like the scoundrel, i should have guessed something was up.

this was meant to be a game right - get rid of repair costs & make it one again

thow off your corporate manacles & tell you overlords & shareholders to go eat their money

Not true, it does require a level of skill. You need to know what skills work well with what affixes and tactics for bosses and elites plus other mobs. It is not about using a better instrument alone, even with good gear you can still die in inferno if you stand around like a lemon spamming the wrong skills. L2P means tactics for when undergeared it also means learn how to use resources whether thats gear, stats and skills even using the AH better to benefit.

I see your point but I feel that you have partly missed mine. The small amount that skill can progress you in the game is very heavily outweighed by the need for better gear.
maybe L2P now means "learn to pay"
The fact is that ur gear is crap.

And after this patch it just became obvious, that's all.

I'm barb and i farm act3 and it's not because of skill, it's because of my gear. Almost all my gear has 4 good stats.

If u are dh then for u it's like to have all gear
dex+vit+allres+crit chance

If u have all gear this quality and u can't farm act3 - then complain but i don't think that u have such gear.

So that's it. Before patch u could just have only 1 stat (dex) and call urself glasscanon, now this doesn't work.
I seem to recall that somewhere along the story i assisted a blacksmith & paid for him to be trained, now to make things for me he asks that i bring the materials to him & he charges me, and he cant repair my items. - you know, he did ask me to help him kill his wife & he does kinda look like the scoundrel, i should have guessed something was up.

Cripes oh Lordy - you are right --- what a greedy scoundrel he is. I shan't be using his services any more.
Rotter.
The fact is that ur gear is crap.

And after this patch it just became obvious, that's all.

I'm barb and i farm act3 and it's not because of skill, it's because of my gear. Almost all my gear has 4 good stats.

If u are dh then for u it's like to have all gear
dex+vit+allres+crit chance

If u have all gear this quality and u can't farm act3 - then complain but i don't think that u have such gear.

So that's it. Before patch u could just have only 1 stat (dex) and call urself glasscanon, now this doesn't work.

I rest my case
how can you have trouble progressing now that mobs hit for 44% less damage? Did you change your gear to white gear? If so I could understand why you are struggling.

I see your point but I feel that you have partly missed mine. The small amount that skill can progress you in the game is very heavily outweighed by the need for better gear.

Well I am in act 3 inferno and I have amazingly bad gear.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g25/anakiakira/untitled-32.jpg

It's hard but I make up for it with planning, tactics, picking right skills and if come across a elite pack that struggle with I reasses skills I have and portal back to town to change and try again. But overall I do not actually die very often at all and am progressing fine. When people say practice and L2P it is for those who have not got the money for best gear, they do struggle and I know all about it because I do too but even I have enough common sense to realise that you do not need the best gear to progress through inferno, you do need to know your class, know your skills and know what works best against monsters. Need to know how to use the AH to keep money rolling in constant and need to know what stats can get by on.
What people mean by "Learn to play" is that we should all learn to subscribe to Blizzard's and a bunch of hardcore type player's idea of fun.

What they simply need to get is that the game just isnt fun for alot of people right now (which a game by definition should be) so people have every right to complain and to ask for the game to be made fun again.
All those who whine now - they used kamikadze tactic.

They have 2 options now

1. Go into defence or just get appropriate for lvl gear
2. Get item with ignore durability loss and continue kamikadze tactic - u see, blizzard always give u a choice to build ur own build.
D3 and L2P ...

L2P???? get the fk out!!

It's all about AH and Gear...my crappy barbarian uses frenzy (close eyes click and hold)...once in a while press right button (revenge) to heal/aoe damage. Than use ignore pain/war cry to buff defence when it's up(oh it's up...press button...oh that was so hard!!). Use leap to buff armor or sometimes escape things. Use furious charge if revenge is down or to escape things.

Any idiot can do this....just buy some freaking 80 all res gear with some nice vit/str...point and hold mouse button 1 all the time...

D3 sucks!!
What people mean by "Learn to play" is that we should all learn to subscribe to Blizzard's and a bunch of hardcore type player's idea of fun.

What they simply need to get is that the game just isnt fun for alot of people right now (which a game by definition should be) so people have every right to complain and to ask for the game to be made fun again.

Inferno is mean't for those who want a challenge. It's challenging. You have 3 other difficulty settings to play through if you just want to kill stuff and pick up random items. If taking on a challenge in inferno is not fun for you then don't do it and play on the other modes. For some people that challenge being very hard is their fun, for those who do not like aforementioned challenge go play hello kitty if push comes to shove.