General Discussion
1 2 3 14 Next
Highly Rated
Auction house is currently severely lacking even in some basic usability features.

Because we think Blizzard is about "polish" not "does the job", we would politely and officially like to ask Blizzard to install the following list of features to the auction house:
    Search tab - Equipment:
  • Allow filtering to be done on at least 5 properties / preferred stats. (The most requested feature)
  • Allow the filtering to ignore bonuses from sockets. (How many times have you searched for Crit Hit Damage and a Socket and found Emerald in a Socket?)
  • Add "Stats Changes if Equipped" section to tooltip comparisons (AKA changes to Health, Damage and Defense)
  • For every entered filter add a sortable column to the results list. (Right now there's only DPS and Armor. If a person adds a filter for Vitality, then add a sortable column Vitality which will display vitality for every found item. (It's true. People love to sort.))
  • Allow filtering and sorting of Damage property on Sources and Mojos, Attack Speed on Quivers and Total Block on Shields.
  • Put an indicator (an asterisk perhaps) next to Current Offer of auctions that have bids on them, to indicate if an auction has bids. (Right now you have to click on a auction and click Bid to see if the price is a minimum bid or not)
  • Remember the last used filters for each item type and each character independently. (I like searching, not entering same filters over and over again.)
  • Allow users to enter Legendary/Set item name AND Filter at the same time. And sort.
  • Enable auto-fill functionality of filter TextBoxes so that users may use keyboard (*gasp*) when entering filters. Perhaps even allow tabbing from one box to the next!
  • Allow players to quickly show/hide auctions with no buyout. (If you enter a Max Buyout filter, then all auctions without buyout are hidden. This does not provide enough customization.)
  • Allow sorting and filtering auctions by Current Offer and not just by Buyout
  • Sell tab:
  • Add a button: "Search for Similar". You can imagine what it does. A single click to find out how much to sell an item for. Clicking it would open Search tab, select the same item type and choose equal stats that the item has. Tooltip for comparisons would also show the item you're selling instead of the one you're wearing.
  • Auctions tab:
  • Rename Bids to Tracking and allow users to "track" any item, without needing to bid on it. Also allow removal of tracked items.
  • The number on the auctions tab, it displays Selling + Bids. Separate the two. (Perhaps in a format S:8 B:3. Or just remove Bids. I'm only ever interested in having my selling slots filled)
  • Enable sorting of auctions on this tab. -credit:KRIGSSVIN
  • Completed tab:
  • Show the price of unsold items instead of displaying 0. (Right now I have to take screenshots so that I can see how much I was selling items for. Yes, that's pretty bad.)
  • Allow Filtering by item name on this tab. (Do you expect me click the "Show more" button 100 times to see how much I bought these pants for 2 months ago?)
  • Allow Filtering by Transaction Type (Purchased, Sold, Not Sold) -credit:Azmodan
  • Remember the exact item stats and show them in tooltips. Remember them for at least a few days. After those few days, remember at least base item type.
  • General:
  • Allow purchasing additional Auction Slots, either with gold or with real money. (You can already get 10 extra if you buy a new account, but that's not very practical) -credit:Chainik
  • Improve chat functionality (Can't reply to whispers, can't open chat with Enter button...) -credit:Medusa

We would also be just as incredibly pleased if the following features would be corrected:
    Search tab - Equipment:
  • When making a bid on an item, show a more elaborate error message if the bid is too low because there exists a high Maximum Bid. (a lot of players get confused as to why they keep getting an error that their bid is too low)
  • Fix filters so that most commonly searched-for properties are on top. (Why must I scroll to the bottom every time I want to search for Intelligence?) Make more reasonable property groups to achieve this.
  • When filtering items by level, correctly apply items with reduced level requirement (quite a few people don't even know the property exists) Correctly as in - apply it if there exists an upper item level limit
  • Fix searching for stats that go over 1000 (Health Globes, Thorns, etc.)
  • Fix mouse wheel to scroll between pages
  • Sell tab:
  • When entering the tab, select the last selected character instead of main character. -credit:victorash
  • Auctions tab:
  • When switching from Gold to RMAH, correctly refresh the number of Auctions (it's a small bug)
  • Completed tab:
  • Fix date format from mm.dd.yyyy to dd.mm.yyyy for EU AH -credit:Grave

Features under discussion:
  • Allow various auction durations
  • Arguments: There's two options here.
    -Allow for any custom auction duration (can enter 123d 23h 48m)
    -Allow a certain set of auction durations, (like 12h, 24h, 48h etc)
    Which is better? My opinion here is that, it's important to see which auctions are new, and which aren't. With the first option, it's impossible to discern which auction were created recently, and so, I'm against it. As for the second option, I believe the best option would be a choice between 24h and 48h. The current 1d 12h is simply wrong. When you auction an item, you want as many people to fight for it as possible. Most people are online in the evening, and not home in the morning. 1d 12h causes auctions, that were put up in the afternoon/evening, to end in the morning, thus getting little competition. But, what do you guys think?
  • Allow cancelling auctions
  • Arguments: I think this should be added, but with certain limitations to prevent abuse. Auction would have to be up for at least half of its total duration and have no bids on it.
  • Allow exporting transaction history
  • Arguments: It's your data and you should be able to do with it what you want. But really, it's not a very important feature. Does anyone actually need this?
  • When creating an auction, do not allow Buyout Price to be empty. Instead, add a CheckBox with a label "No Buyout"
  • Arguments: Players often(?) accidently create auctions with no buyout. Is this true?
  • Max values of preferred stats, not just min values.
  • Arguments: It makes the search more powerful. But would enough players really use this feature?
  • Sorting auctions by Time Left.
  • Arguments: Despite this being suggested many times, I can't approve of this feature. I'm almost certain that Blizzard intentionally disabled this feature because it allows for many forms of abuse. Especially AH sniping and botting comes to mind.

It took me several hours writing and updating this post. Please click Like so that GMs can see this thread! Also please reply with +1 and add your own suggestions. I will add all good suggestions to the list and answer any questions about this suggestions.

@CMs:
It would be perfect if we could get some official feedback directly from developers for every feature, but at least reply to this thread and say that you've relayed this list.
There are some really good ideas in here. It's good to see that you are actually giving constructive criticism, and not just complaining. I think this is a really solid group of ideas, good job! +1'd
+1 on everything apart from:

27/06/2012 22:39Posted by Un1quE
When filtering items by level, correctly apply items with reduced level requirement (quite a few people don't even know the property exists)

This should be optional. I'm lazy when it comes to auctioning, and can rarely be bothered bidding, particularly when I know I won't be able to participate in a last minute bidding war due to sleep/work/whatever when the auction is due to end. When I put in a max buyout, it's because that is the maximum I am willing to pay for an item now. I imagine I'm not alone.

So yeah, make that optional = win.

Oh, one more suggestion:

- When creating an auction, allow variable auction durations, such as 12/24/48 hours.
10/10
+1 on everything apart from:
When filtering items by level, correctly apply items with reduced level requirement (quite a few people don't even know the property exists)

You're right. But, let's put in 2 use cases:
-You're L50 and want to find a good item for L50 or below. He enters item level range 30-50
-You're L60 and want to find only L60 items or higher. He enters item level range 60+

In the first case, you want to see L60 items with "reduced level requirement".
In the second case, you want to see L60 items with "reduced level requirement" also.

I think this problem would be solved if "reduced level requirement" would be ignored on lower level limit, but it would be correctly included on upper level limit.

This should be optional. I'm lazy when it comes to auctioning, and can rarely be bothered bidding, particularly when I know I won't be able to participate in a last minute bidding war due to sleep/work/whatever when the auction is due to end. When I put in a max buyout, it's because that is the maximum I am willing to pay for an item now. I imagine I'm not alone.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. But I think there's already a feature for this problem of yours. If you enter a bid that's for instance 10x higher than current bid, then the current bid won't be increased to this huge bid of yours. It will stay low, and only increase by 5%. Your max bid will be saved, and anyone trying to bid will get an error that their bid is too low, until the current bid reaches your max bid.

- When creating an auction, allow variable auction durations, such as 12/24/48 hours.
I've heard of this feature several times and I'm not too fond of it. You see, it's usually important to see which items just appeared on the AH, and which are old and which no one wants. If you can put in various auction durations, then you won't know which items are new and which aren't, or at least you'll have a tougher time telling.

I need more input on this feature. Would you prefer to have various auction durations, and not know which items are new, or not?
well spent 2 hours, thanks
27/06/2012 22:39Posted by Un1quE
Allow users to enter Legendary/Set item name AND Filter at the same time. And sort. (You know sorting doesn't work right now, right?)

Agree with all but you already could do this,

Just go to the armor you want, select 3 props ( i indd agree with 5 but oke) then you go to like helm and set that you only want like +150 int for a anderiel. This way he will find all legendary heads with 150 int. And since we only got like 2-3 its easy to find :).

But agree with al, AH sucks
Agree with all but you already could do this,

Just go to the armor you want, select 3 props ( i indd agree with 5 but oke) then you go to like helm and set that you only want like +150 int for a anderiel. This way he will find all legendary heads with 150 int. And since we only got like 2-3 its easy to find :).

But agree with al, AH sucks

I know. But that's still very annoying and in some cases impossible (for instance, Inna's Glory only has Vitality) and you'll usually find a bunch of other legendaries that you're not looking for.
Added features under discussion.
I would like to add a sorting feature, atm you can sort by dps and buyout. Sorting by time would be also nice, so that you see the items which are running out soon faster and don't need to click through 46 pages ... Also it's weird that it's limited by 46 pages :x
28/06/2012 10:02Posted by Fruity
I would like to add a sorting feature, atm you can sort by dps and buyout. Sorting by time would be also nice, so that you see the items which are running out soon faster and don't need to click through 46 pages ... Also it's weird that it's limited by 46 pages :x
That's a nice suggestion. However, I do not agree with it. I'm almost certain that Blizzard doesn't agree either and intentionally disabled such sorting. This is because of abuse. Chinese farmers spamming refresh on AH and stealing all the good cheap items ;)
+1

Definitely need 5 search options!

Instead of taking socket/gem info out of search, disallow items to be sold with gems in them. I almost always need to put in diff gem and i think they over inflate prices on mediocre items.
Completed tab:
-add 3 check-boxes on top of the list - sold items, purchased items, unsold items - when a checkbox is unchecked, delete items in that category from the list. with all 3 checkboxes checked (default) the list would be as it is now
-add tooltips for the items in this list. i really don;t remember what item "NULL PROPHECY" was that i sold for XXX gold, the name are so random - they don;t say anything about the item (let alone what stats it had)
Also needs ability to save filters with names. E.g. "boots 70AR/120VIT/50str" etc. for faster searching.
Every column should be sortable both in search results and completed tab.
Autocomplete in the comboboxes.... e.g., when I type "int" it would select intellect... Selecting with mouse only is so year 1989 :(
Hey! Nice read +1
One more thing I'd really like to see in the search tab is being able to hover over the items name to see the stats.
Very-very nice suggestions. You got my +1.

Instead of taking socket/gem info out of search, disallow items to be sold with gems in them. I almost always need to put in diff gem and i think they over inflate prices on mediocre items.
Well, there are a few times when you might want to include socket stats in the search. For instance, you're looking for a 100 dex ring. Then it doesn't matter if it's got 100dex or 80dex+emerald. Anyway, as long as you have to option whether to ignore or not ignore socket, it's good for all use cases.

Completed tab:
-add 3 check-boxes on top of the list - sold items, purchased items, unsold items - when a checkbox is unchecked, delete items in that category from the list. with all 3 checkboxes checked (default) the list would be as it is now
-add tooltips for the items in this list. i really don;t remember what item "NULL PROPHECY" was that i sold for XXX gold, the name are so random - they don;t say anything about the item (let alone what stats it had)
Good suggestions. I added the first one to the list. the 2nd one was already suggested, but I modified it to be technically acceptable. I mean, it would be too technically demanding if they would need to remember stats of every item of every transaction ever done. A more logical solution would be to remember the stats of items for a few days, and afterwards remember the item type at least. I think that wouldn't be as hardware demanding. Come to think of it, I think they're already storing base item type with transactions.
28/06/2012 12:57Posted by Un1quE
That's a nice suggestion. However, I do not agree with it. I'm almost certain that Blizzard doesn't agree either and intentionally disabled such sorting. This is because of abuse. Chinese farmers spamming refresh on AH and stealing all the good cheap items ;)

Hmm I see. I never looked at it from this point of view. I guess 5 slots for search attributes will still be nicer to get fewer results, then it's not such a pain to compare the prices with items which are ending soon and you have more of an overview.

Would be nice if you could compare items but I guess that's too much to ask :p
then it's not such a pain to compare the prices with items which are ending soon and you have more of an overview.
Would be nice if you could compare items but I guess that's too much to ask :p
Comparison would be much much easier if they implemented the 3rd feature which I suggested - adding columns with stats that you're searching for.
Added a common suggestion
-Add "Stats Changes if Equipped" section to tooltip comparisons