Blizzard. Let me explain why the costumers complain

General Discussion
I work at a restaurant. So I'm going to put up a metaphor where you are a costumer in my restaurant.
You've eaten at my restaurant before and it was a great experience. Now I've come up with a new concept. I have a whole lot of cash and want to create a new and awesome restaurant and, of course, your expectations are high. You can't wait to come and eat at my new place.

So it's finally complete and you enter my new place. At the entrance there's a cash registry that requires you to pay before you enter. But the cash registry is making an error 37, so you have to wait for 1 hour before you can enter.

The hour has past and you can finally order and pay. You've ordered the grill plate which consists of a beef steak, a slice of grilled chicken breast and a salad buffet. Your expectations are high, because the steak at my previous restaurant was LEGENDARY when I made it medium. So you take a seat and wait for your order.

Now you get your food, but the steak is cooked medium RARE, because all of a sudden I don't know how to make a LEGENDARY medium steak anymore. Medium RARE is the best I can do.

You go up to take some things from the salad bar, because you get both grilled chicken and steak plus the nice bonus of a salad bar. But what is this? The salad bar is almost empty, because I haven't made enough salad. Then what is the point in this set bonus .. uhm I mean .. salad bar?"

So you return to your table with ½ tomato and call for one of my employees because you want something to drink. My employee give you a card with skills... uhm I mean... drinks to choose from. There's snake poison, a glass of water,toxin, plagued bear blood and acid.
"What stupid drinks are these?", you think. "The only one that doesn't kill me is water and that's pretty boring to drink."

Now you decide to taste your grilled chicken. But wait, now I have removed your chicken breast, because you weren't fast enough at eating. "This is an enrage .. uhm .. outrage" you think.

You finally complete your meal and decide to call me and order dessert.
"What a brilliant idea", I say. "But you have to buy your own authenticator .. uhm I mean .. dessert plate before you can order dessert."

So what do you do? Leave the restaurant as an unhappy, and yet, uncomplaining costumer? Or do you go to me and complain about how this restaurant didn't live up to your expectations?
this is... brilliant!

i loled
so.. the main point is blizz should buff a legandary equipment about attribute and for looking good? i agree with this one.
Interesting analogy ^^

I'm getting all hungry now :P

It's a slightly flawed premise though. I'll explain.

02/07/2012 01:33Posted by Storcx
You've eaten at my restaurant before and it was a great experience. Now I've come up with a new concept. I have a whole lot of cash and want to create a new and awesome restaurant and, of course, your expectations are high. You can't wait to come and eat at my new place.

What needs to be said, is that the time between your last meal at the old restaurent and when you are about to try the new restaurent, that is a time gap of 12 years.

So to return to the original question;
Let's say you went to a restaurent in the year 2000 and had a lovely meal there. If you then went back there 12 years later and discovered a new restaurent that had been opened by the same person, would you then expect to get the same good meal as you got 12 years ago in this new and different, but similar restaurent?
No, you would expect BETTER - through the 12 years of development.
02/07/2012 02:18Posted by Soulcle

My taste buds taste a better Diablo game, so thank you very much. I am very well fed already but can't wait for the dessert.
While this may be written with a sense of good humor;- in this case our "restaurant" owner who used to own a sushi restaurant 12 years ago with pretty decent food decided to open up a snackbar.

He's using the same name;- but decided to go with a different food to reach a bigger mainstream audience. After all;- everyone likes pizza and french fries.

Lots of loyal customers to his sushi restaurant are understandably angry;- but people who have always appreciated a good unhealthy snack make his buisness worthwhile.

Luckily; the restaurant owner isn't half as bad as angry ex-customers have been claiming;- and he's adding and removing from the menu based on feedback to try and work something out - but this takes time;- because lots of people have to taste test various foods before a sweet spot can be found.
If you don't like the game don't play it. Nobody cares about what you think.
02/07/2012 02:23Posted by Cynex

You probably played to much games and you don't know anymore what is "Sense of Humor" :P
02/07/2012 02:27Posted by Exotrax

You probably played to much games and you don't know anymore what is "Sense of Humor" :P

Yeah, you got me there, mate.
02/07/2012 02:21Posted by Ruthell

My taste buds taste a better Diablo game, so thank you very much. I am very well fed already but can't wait for the dessert.

I was simply answering the man's question.
Interesting analogy ^^

I'm getting all hungry now :P

It's a slightly flawed premise though. I'll explain.

What needs to be said, is that the time between your last meal at the old restaurent and when you are about to try the new restaurent, that is a time gap of 12 years.

So to return to the original question;
Let's say you went to a restaurent in the year 2000 and had a lovely meal there. If you then went back there 12 years later and discovered a new restaurent that had been opened by the same person, would you then expect to get the same good meal as you got 12 years ago in this new and different, but similar restaurent?

No problem. I can even give you an example from real life:
I used to work on a ferry where the restaurant was filled with great food. They've recently changed it into a coffeehouse where they serve a few of the same meals with thinner steaks, no sauce for the steak and even sandwiches without dressing. Some of my previous colleagues who still work there tell me that they are being overflown with complaints, because there are no waiters, no room for service and the food is boring and tasteless. Nothing like it used to be.
If you take something popular and change it into something horrible, then people are going to be upset :)
02/07/2012 02:18Posted by Soulcle

But through a 12 year development, is it not bound to be something DIFFERENT as well, and thus not nessesarily better (depending on taste)?

It's a bit like the 3 original Star Wars movies versus the 3 new ones. They're all Star Wars movies, but the 3 new ones are still different from the 3 original movies – simply because they were made many years following the original ones – and thus naturally bound to be something new.

People who expected Diablo III to be as much of a natural continuation of Diablo II as Lord of Destruction was, they haven't accounted for the fact that many years have passed, which makes that expectation impossible to realise.
02/07/2012 02:34Posted by Storcx
and even sandwiches without dressing

Sacrilege!!
While this may be written with a sense of good humor;- in this case our "restaurant" owner who used to own a sushi restaurant 12 years ago with pretty decent food decided to open up a snackbar.

He's using the same name;- but decided to go with a different food to reach a bigger mainstream audience. After all;- everyone likes pizza and french fries.

Lots of loyal customers to his sushi restaurant are understandably angry;- but people who have always appreciated a good unhealthy snack make his buisness worthwhile.

Luckily; the restaurant owner isn't half as bad as angry ex-customers have been claiming;- and he's adding and removing from the menu based on feedback to try and work something out - but this takes time;- because lots of people have to taste test various foods before a sweet spot can be found.

Great point.
But now we come to a whole different philosophy: A crappy game is crappy. Nothing "tasty" (if you will)about it. Why would they play junk?
A pizza is unhealthy, yes, but it tastes good, therefore people still eat it :)
02/07/2012 02:43Posted by Storcx
A pizza is unhealthy

You can order a vegetarian pizza. They're not really unhealthy :P
02/07/2012 02:44Posted by Jito
A pizza is unhealthy

You can order a vegetarian pizza. They're not really unhealthy :P

Yes, it's a well-known fact that that if you put some vegetables on top of sh!tloads carbonhydrates and fat it suddenly becomes healthy. :P
02/07/2012 02:39Posted by Jito
It's a bit like the 3 original Star Wars movies versus the 3 new ones. They're all Star Wars movies, but the 3 new ones are still different from the 3 original movies – simply because they were made many years following the original ones – and thus naturally bound to be something new.

Uuuuh Bad idea to take that as a defense, the new movies are really really bad even if you are not comparing them with the old ones. And without the old ones the new three would be long forgotten, heck 2 and 3 wouldnt even been made.

And i really wouldnt compare D3 with episode 1-3. That would be just mean.

People who expected Diablo III to be as much of a natural continuation of Diablo II as Lord of Destruction was, they haven't accounted for the fact that many years have passed, which makes that expectation impossible to realise.

It could be because it feels a little bit to much like WoW. Especially the pace is really slow like in an MMO. Slow runningspeed, slow Attackspeed. When i use a Twohanded weapon i feel even slower than in WoW. In wow thats okay, there are !@#$tons of skills that needs to be used, i have to spend attention on cooldowns and what the other players do. But in D3? I have 2 attacks at most, then 2 Buffs that i use from time to time and two skills that i only use if %^-* goes awe.

Traveling is a story of its own, in wow there are Mounts to become faster, in D3 we have to move like slugs from one group to another, and some areas are almost empty. Often times i see myself just looking for the next zone just because i dont feel like exploring the area with that very slow running speed.

There are no travelskills. Stuff like Teleport or Sprint have Hourlong Cooldowns or horrendus resourcecosts. There is no way to put enough faster run on your char to make you *feel* fast.

I can that change of pace from D2 to D3 only explain in Two ways:
First: Timedump.
Blizzard trys to deliberatly waste our time to make the game last longer, which would be stupid on their part, fast gameplay was one of the only things that kept D2 going, sure drops are nice but if you have to crawl with broken legs through a tarpit you wont have fun while doing it.

Second: Serverissues.
The server couldnt handle the faster speed millions of players doing stuff they do twice as fast, thus it has to be toned down in order to make it work. That would be horrible.
Well said Sir i salute you :)