Drops being REALLY Weird

General Discussion
1 2 3 17 Next
Highly Rated
I think there is something fuzzy going on about drops, some hidden mechanic that controlls whats being droped and what not.
So me and my friend went on playing diablo 3 like the minute patch 1.0.4 was launched.
We did act 3 runs one after another and legendarys droped every single run, some runs even droped 2 for both of us. We felt very lucky like legendarys was falling from the sky..

When i reached paragon lvl 4-5 something like that i had already found 4 legendarys ( Goldskin, Windforce, Manticore, and natalys sight)
And my friend found like tal rasha armors etc.
When we went on the ah to check its worth, there were hardly any legendarys of that kind for sale, like half a page of windforces and 4-5 manticores etc.

Whats strange about this is the fact that i havent found a single legendary since reaching paragon lvl 5, and im lvl 16 now.
If you browse the ah most legendarys now got over 20 pages.
It seems like legendarys ( or good items in general ) drops alot when few are found and available on ah, but as the items starts to become more common, that they tend to drop alot less.
Now if this is correct what this means is that if you are one of those guys who didnt have the luck of finding any legendary or godly item when the patch launched, then dont expect to find one now since the chance of getting one is really low now that there are so many of them.
i Find it very annoying that i found 5 legendarys in 4 runs, 2 of them i found really early before i even reached 5 stack of nv, remembering getting windforce in act 4 when i had 1 stack of nv, the second pack droped a perfect rolled windforce with 1.3k dps and 49% knockback.
And now im doing run after run and im not getting anything, 4-5 runs a day with no loot what so ever.
And yes i know i know, i shouldnt complain right? there are plenty of people who havent found anything, atleast i got my share of legendarys..i understand that, but my point is that the loot seems fixed in some way.

Another thing that i find greatly disturbing is that it seems to me like the game tend to drop different loot depending on what character you're playing.
For example as mention earlyer i found Windforce, Manticore, and natalys sight, these are all demon hunter loot!!
My friend is a monk, and he got tal rasha chest and some offhand which are wizard loots.

And thats something we have been talking about for a long time, because every now and then we find great gear...TO SELL because as a barb i never find upgrades for my barb, my friend never finds upgrades for his monk, we just find stuff for other classes, sell them and then buy upgrades for ourselves.

Its like its designed, if you are playing a barb you got a 3% chance to find an upgrade for the barb and a 20% chance to find an upgrade for any other class.
Intended to keep us finding stuff we dont need so we keep selling stuff on the rmah ( or gold) and then buy from others giving Blizzard a cut twice, one for sell and then one for buying.

Again this is just my speculation, but me and many i play with have been talking about this for a long time, and the drops are really weird in that way..

thoughts?
+1
I read this and it makes sense to me.

Seems like a simple elegant solution to me compared to some of the other theories out there.

The main beauty of this is that if its true, its self maintaining.

With regards to this things always dropping for classes, I can't say much on that. I know that I hardly ever find upgrades for myself, but usually that's because the upgrades i need is quite specific ... It wouldn't surprise me though if this played a factor :P
+1

I'm sure alot is happening "behind the curtain" at Blizz, that we don't know about, so they can make an extra buck or two

ofcourse they will never admit this.
What new.

<Chuckles>
29/08/2012 12:59Posted by Maybe
With regards to this things always dropping for classes, I can't say much on that. I know that I hardly ever find upgrades for myself, but usually that's because the upgrades i need is quite specific ... It wouldn't surprise me though if this played a factor :P

For me personally, its not just patch 1.0.4, pre patch ive found tal rashas chest armor twice, twice man...and a zunnima offhand (think thats the name) but never ever gotten an immortal set piece. its things like that, and it happends all the time, this is just one of many examples
Pfff i hate conspiracy theories, but there's definitelly something weird going on with the drop rate...
Bro you didn't know? Blizz fixed the drop rates right after patch 104 so people could find all the new items and legendaries... Once the AH / RMAH was filled up and flooded with new legendaries and items... They quickly deployed the hotfix maintenance and nurfed drops to the ground so people would be FORCED to pay real money or buy gold to purchase the new legendaries / items... Aren't you thankful?
you are still playing this game?
omg
you are still playing this game?
omg
You are no longer playing this game, but can't stop visiting its forums?
omg
29/08/2012 13:32Posted by Error3007
Bro you didn't know? Blizz fixed the drop rates right after patch 104 so people could find all the new items and legendaries... Once the AH / RMAH was filled up and flooded with new legendaries and items... They quickly deployed the hotfix maintenance and nurfed drops to the ground so people would be FORCED to pay real money or buy gold to purchase the new legendaries / items... Aren't you thankful?

seems logical from blizzard side.

But so many people discover this weird drop behaviour on their own.... its too visible. the diference...

Cause if the drop will be like day 1+2, then now there will be 120 pages with manticore = much lower price for each = the same on RMAH = smaller profit from RMAH for blizz. its simple that.
... because as a barb i never find upgrades for my barb, my friend never finds upgrades for his monk, we just find stuff for other classes, sell them and then buy upgrades for ourselves. ...

yes, that occurred to me a lot of times already.
Yes this make sense ...

All my items on sorc (not good ones but still ...) are beeing self found by my demonhunter and with few runs on act2 with my sorc i found 2/3 items for my demonhunter that i currently wear ... :)
I never found an upgrade from my demonhunter using my demonhunter ... 1/2 pieces was beeing found by my friends (barb and witchdoctors) ....

Strange?
Yeah, i hear you on the drops. Played like a fiend the moment the patch dropped and scored all sorts of goodies between me and my farming friends.

Got 2 in one single run, then the next day it felt like i was digging for diamonds in minecraft with my hand. You know..that feeling of just slamming your face against the wall over and over because you KNOW sweet items are out there, but they are always out of reach it seems.

I must say i think Legendary stuff should bind to accounts. BUT with an exception. Here is my idea. You do a run, you find legendary, you go to town, you ID, you equip, see what it does for you, it doesnt look like anything you are interested in, you un-equip, it does not bind, you sell it on GaH or trade for item you need/want. HOWEVER, the moment you LEAVE town with that legendary or set equipped, it is bound to your account and can only be vendored or salvaged for mats.
Something to test, while waiting for better drops:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5207771730?page=16#317
This game is built around the AH. loot chances get adjusted based on AH.
Something to test, while waiting for better drops:

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5207771730?page=16#317

If people would do this, it would be awesome
+1
Yes this make sense ...

All my items on sorc (not good ones but still ...) are beeing self found by my demonhunter and with few runs on act2 with my sorc i found 2/3 items for my demonhunter that i currently wear ... :)
I never found an upgrade from my demonhunter using my demonhunter ... 1/2 pieces was beeing found by my friends (barb and witchdoctors) ....

Strange?

Exactly