Help a noob monk!!

Monk
Hey monks!!!

So I've decided to level my monk a bit after months of other characters.

Pleas take a look at my guy, an advise what you would change and why, also what builds are good these days for low MP (0-1).

Thanks!
Well you have made a couple of schoolboy errors, (mistakes everyone makes at first)

Starting with Resistances, you have fire, arcane, and lightning mixed, and the passive buff that stacks all your resistances to the same as your highest one. So basically--- stack all the same kind, poison / lightning / whatever... pick one and stick with it.

Your weapons should ALWAYS have sockets, #
See if you can find a skorn with 1100+ dps, Life on kill 4k+, criit 170+, dex 300+ , weapon dmg% 50+ and put the best green gem (crit) you can get into the socket.
This should give a massive dps boost.

Get rings and necks with sockets if you can, and look for att speed 7+, crit hit, and crit damage, dex 80-150 and either life steal or life% 10.
Armor should have avg 100 dex. 100 vit, crit chance / crit damage, resistance (one type) and sockets where possible.

Aiming for 80k 90k+ dps, (buffed with heavens breath), 50k+ life, 600 resistance. that should get you motoring on Mp2-4 without too much trouble.
For a build, I would highly recommend "The Monk Cannon", which I am using currently, feel free to have a look at my profile and take some ideas.

(just to say I have sacrificed some resistance in favor of dps / life points)

Note: Duel wielding is not great dps wise, unless you can find 2 1100++ dps weapons, both with sockets, one with crit 90+ and the other with Life steal 3%

Avoid Life on hit (LoH) unless you can stack it up on many items, using a skorn with 4k life after kill, is basically 4k(LoH) anyway because with 80k+ dps your one shooting white mobs, and rares / bosses won't be able to hurt you quick enough to kill you.

Passives I use:
Fleet footed - Faster
one with everything - better
seize the initiative - stronger

Primary - Fists of Thunder // Thunderclap - Teleport to target + minor splash dmg.}
Secondary = Wave of light // Explosive light - Pushback + Massive splash damage}

Breath of heaven // Blazing Wrath - 15% dmg boost + 7k heal
Sweeping Wind // Master of the wind - 15% AoE (Area of Effect) dmg + saves spirit by not having to refresh the buff so often up from 6-20 secs.
Serinity // Ascension - Immunity for 4 seconds, basically a panic button, give time move from puddles, collect health globes or just make it to the exit without dying.
Mantra of conviction // Overawe - Increase your damage by a further 24% dmg boost and 50% more in the first 3 seconds.

For Best use,
Pull massive packs of trash, using sweeping winds, pop mantra for more AoE damage, pop Breath for 15% more damage, save yourself with serenity if you need too, and use wave of light to massacre everything in sight, and fists to top up your spirit bubble.
The 15-30 instant kills will multiply your "life on kill" at 4k, meaning you insta-heal for 60-80k every pull. Meaning you can rush act 3 completely in record times, 22-27 minutes depending on deaths (which will be rare, but will happen)
If you find yourself dying a lot, you can swap out "fleet footed" for "transcendence" for a little health back during big fights with bosses or elite packs. 75 spirit used, heals for 5k roughly.

I'm not saying my advice is 100% or even close, This is simply what I am doing, and it's working for me, and if anyone wants to have a go at improving my monk, I'd be happy to listen and discuss.

Laters

EDIT:

Just wanted to mention, you do NOT need legendary's for every slot, most rare items with have almost identical stats, for a fraction of the cost. I had to buy about 40 million gold, and got really lucky on the AH, first thing I do is check the time left, and see if there is anything with good stats finishing in the next hour or two, and see if I can get it for a cheap bid, instead of an expensive buyout, but you probably know this already.
Thanks for taking the time, but is a skorn not goin to give you a slower attack speed? This reducing your LL LoH pro rates? I have completed all the other characters without having to use a skorn. So I think I'll get hold of some new 1-hands with sockets.

Like I said all this gear on my monk has come from either my DH, or dropped in game. Nothing has been bought from AH, hence why the resists are all to !@#$.
It will be slower yes, but you wont need to hit fast, just hard, and like I said the healing from life on kill is insane, and can help you clear on mp1-3 in no time, speed runs = more loot, more gold, and more exp. It's my preference to go hard and fast, rather than slow and steady.

I'm currently pumping out 120k dmg, and healing to full on every pack, bosses and elites go down so fast that I don't need to heal a great deal, and only using 327 loh. Well it works for me, and I can understand your reluctance to drop 20m on a weapon, but in my eyes it's a one time spend and totally worth it.

Just an fyi, on mp 4+ you will need an excellent shield, 1000+ armor, crit, resistance, dex, socket and high block chance 20% or better.

anyway looks to me like you have a good handle on your toon, so I'll leave it there, good luck with your farming.
29/01/2013 14:33Posted by TheGreatOne
Primary - Fists of Thunder // Thunderclap - Teleport to target + minor splash dmg.

This is a must!

Sweeping Wind // Master of the wind - 15% AoE (Area of Effect) dmg + saves spirit by not having to refresh the buff so often up from 6-20 secs.

If you use the aforementioned FoT primary you can perma spam this skill. sweeping wind / Cyclone with a good CC and you'll be spamming cyclones galore!!

29/01/2013 14:33Posted by TheGreatOne
Avoid Life on hit (LoH) unless you can stack it up on many items, using a skorn with 4k life after kill, is basically 4k(LoH) anyway because with 80k+ dps your one shooting white mobs, and rares / bosses won't be able to hurt you quick enough to kill you.

The choice between LoH and LS is dependent on DPS, however the choice between LoH and LoK is clear - LoH wins every time. You don't need life when your trashing white mobs in 1 hit, you need life when slogging it out with heavy elites, LoK just doesn't cut it.

I think the OP is at the point where he must make a decision between vitality and DPS. Its a balancing act - the quicker you kill the less life you need, HP is good when it takes ages to kill mobs, but i think you're at the stage where you can start to swap over to DPS.

Remember the magic ratio of 1% CC to 10% CD and you'll be good.
Im at the stage where every upgrade cost way too much - i need to learn how to become a Tycoon at the Auction House :/ my upgrades mainly come from Plvl's now!
I'm at that stage with my WD. Just wanted to finish off my monk for a bit of variation from endless alkaizer runs to plvl!

Your weapons should ALWAYS have sockets

i disagree on that. at least it depends on the budget. even with sets up to 20m i often skip sockets. especially now as prices for gems rocket up due to 107
29/01/2013 16:33Posted by Gillygilly
The choice between LoH and LS is dependent on DPS, however the choice between LoH and LoK is clear - LoH wins every time. You don't need life when your trashing white mobs in 1 hit, you need life when slogging it out with heavy elites, LoK just doesn't cut it.

Well that's my point, with 80k+ dps, elites and bosses go down faster than... (insert joke here) so there is no need for focus LoH for anything under mp4. Because the bosses just won't be hitting you for long enough to kill you.
On the mid to high mp levels, I say your 100% right on all counts, cyclone is better than master of the wind.

Your weapons should ALWAYS have sockets

i disagree on that. at least it depends on the budget. even with sets up to 20m i often skip sockets. especially now as prices for gems rocket up due to 107

Well that's a personal choice, but just by crafting the gems you find on trash, over a couple of weeks, you will have all the gems you will ever need, and if i get a choice to add 70-80-90-100 crit damage to my dps, I'll take it.
Yeah it can be hard to find the stats you want, but I would rather hold out until what I need is listed on the AH, than blow 10-30m on a weapon that doesn't have the capacity for ++critical damage. unless ofc the weapon in question has amazingly good stats, that would forgo the need for ++crit dmg. Gold is hard to come by, I don't like buying stuff without sockets, but yeah sure I could make the exception if it was necessary to do so.

The advice I gave was just to clear mp1-3 comfortably, and tactics /weapons / armor will change a couple more times as you progress the mp ladder.

Good Talk.

laters
I would suggest the won khim lau fist weapon.

One with 700-800 dps and 80+ crit dmg is really cheap.

Then buy another 1h with 1.40AS+, 3% life steal and 80+ crit dmg. (Try to find a weap with lightning dmg)

Try to get your crit chance atleast over 30% with the rest of the gear while having 300+ all res (one with everything) and around 25k+ life. (500 loh on neck could also help)

The fist weapon gives damage bonus to lightning dmg, so fist of thunder with thunderclap rune and sweeping wind with cyclone rune is a must.

Use mantra of conviction, overawe rune to boost your damage even more. Now you get life from the damage that the sweeping wind is doing and from your fists. (remember to spam the mantra every 3 secs to gain even more life)

imo, this is a cheap and good build :)

Edit: Also one more thing; right before entering an elite-fight, you use blinding flash with faith in the light rune and be sure to turn on the sweeping wind while your damage is buffed. That way the sweeping wind will keep doing that damage until it expires. (This effect will be removed in the next patch, so take advantage of it as long as you can!) :)
Thanks guys, you're so much more helpful than the barbs :)

Did a couple of upgrades, let me know if I'm on the right track....my left-hand weapon was pure luck this morning..well I thought I got lucky...it has lightening damage, buyout was 40k!

Note: ignore my HFR for the time being its and intelligence one...will craft my dex one tonight hopefully!
Nice to help :)

Do you think about my advice when u say u got a lightning weap? If it is lightning damage or some other damage doesnt make big difference unless you also use the won khim lau fist weapon. As already said it gives huge damage boost to lightning stuff!

btw, it was a really good price for that weap :)
Well I can always equip the won on the other hand...will look tonight.

Actually the buy was done before I read your advice. It was lightening damage by pure luck!!
I would suggest the won khim lau fist weapon.

One with 700-800 dps and 80+ crit dmg is really cheap.

Then buy another 1h with 1.40AS+, 3% life steal and 80+ crit dmg. (Try to find a weap with lightning dmg)

Try to get your crit chance atleast over 30% with the rest of the gear while having 300+ all res (one with everything) and around 25k+ life. (500 loh on neck could also help)

The fist weapon gives damage bonus to lightning dmg, so fist of thunder with thunderclap rune and sweeping wind with cyclone rune is a must.

Use mantra of conviction, overawe rune to boost your damage even more. Now you get life from the damage that the sweeping wind is doing and from your fists. (remember to spam the mantra every 3 secs to gain even more life)

imo, this is a cheap and good build :)

Edit: Also one more thing; right before entering an elite-fight, you use blinding flash with faith in the light rune and be sure to turn on the sweeping wind while your damage is buffed. That way the sweeping wind will keep doing that damage until it expires. (This effect will be removed in the next patch, so take advantage of it as long as you can!) :)

This sums up everything you need to know for now. Ant that's almost exactly what I thought about when I got all my equipment etc.
Later on, it's nice to get some more all res and some more hp, especially for higher MP. As for choosing rare/legendary/set equipment it all depends on your budget. If you don't got so much money now go for rare parts and when your budget allows it, start planing out set-pieces (Inna's etc.) and legendaries that you could better benefit from than your currently rare-pieces.

Do you think about my advice when u say u got a lightning weap? If it is lightning damage or some other damage doesnt make big difference unless you also use the won khim lau fist weapon. As already said it gives huge damage boost to lightning stuff!

Actually it doesn't matter what type the damage on weapon is. WKL boost only your ligntning skills damage, not the elemental dmage of your weapons. Then it is better to have a physical damage weapon to benefit most from the "Adds x% to Elemental damage" affixes, which are added only to your base physical damage. (like 5-6% to Ligtning on WKL, 7-8% to Holy on Inna's belt etc.)
Will the won-Kim-lau benefit the lightening damage on my other hand, or would the lightening damage only apply to "black" damage?

I know the 8% poisons damage on my WD doesn't benefit my manajumas carving knife....
The 5-6% to Lightning damage on WKL is the same like on Zuni boots or Inna's belt. It is added only to your base physical damage.

The 15-25% bonus to Lightning skills is added to damage of your skills that do Ligtning damage, like Fist of Thunder or Sweeping Wind - Cyclone .)
Actually it doesn't matter what type the damage on weapon is. WKL boost only your ligntning skills damage, not the elemental dmage of your weapons. Then it is better to have a physical damage weapon to benefit most from the "Adds x% to Elemental damage" affixes, which are added only to your base physical damage. (like 5-6% to Ligtning on WKL, 7-8% to Holy on Inna's belt etc.)

Thx for telling me. When I read "Adds 6% to lightning damage" I just assumed it must be all lightning dmg. Sorry for giving wrong info! :P

Lightning damage are still the coolest damage.
Hence should've gotten a black damage weapon to capitalise the DPS, but there's no way I couldv'e got that for 40k :)