About to play D2 for first time

General Discussion
Wanna see what the fuss is about, any tips before i start
You probably won't get all the points people are making about Diablo II being a better game. It's kinda too late. But it is still a great game.

I would suggest you play the single player first. Any class you want.
Yer i wont be playing any multiplayer, was thinking of rolling a barb
These days D2 must be approached with sympathy. It's graphics will look appaulling to you for one thing.
Diablo 2 single player is still awesome sauce to this day.
First tip:

- you must be able to overlook graphics (ie. they must be unimportant to you)
I'm jealous, I wish it was 2000 again so I could boot up D2 for the first time. I'd have the next 10-12 years playing it on an off. Making awesome builds with various characters.

Great fun, and REWARDING game most importantly. You put in the time, you get rewards, unlike D3...

I'd start off with a blizzard sorceress to begin with. Great way of farming content without needing heavy investment in items.

Oh dear, there's so many builds you can make, good luck not getting hooked dude.

I'd make after the blizz sorc the following at some point (look up guide on these first)

Fishymancer (look this up)
200fcr nova sorc with energy shield
Fireball sorc
Bowazon (strafe and multishot)
Javazon
Hammerdin (just to see what all the fuss is about, but it's not that fun to play with)
Smiter - uber killer
Trapsin/kicker (great fun)
Bonemancer
Rabies Druid
Throw barb
Frenzy barb
Ww barb
Gold find barb

There's a ton more too man!
29/01/2013 17:53Posted by SICCMR187
Yer i wont be playing any multiplayer, was thinking of rolling a barb

A barbarian is a fine choice for you first character. Give it a try an report back how you feel about it. And like stated before. You have to be able to withstand the graphics from that time. When you are weighing the game, the graphics should count the very least.

Good gaming :)

Fishymancer (look this up)
200fcr nova sorc with energy shield
Fireball sorc
Bowazon (strafe and multishot)
Javazon
Hammerdin (just to see what all the fuss is about, but it's not that fun to play with)
Smiter - uber killer
Trapsin/kicker (great fun)
Bonemancer
Rabies Druid
Throw barb
Frenzy barb
Ww barb
Gold find barb

Oh all the fun builds Diablo II had!!:D

To the OP. You should also visit http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/ for a huge amount of information.

Edit: Screw it, Im going to play Diablo II as well.
A few more.....
Lib pally
Charger(pal)
Poison nec
Fury Druid (Wolf)
Fire Claw Druid (Werewolf AND Werebear)
Werewolf BARB AND Werebear BARB
Ele Druid
WW sin
Light/Cold/Fire Sorc(all great with 200fcr)
Edit: Adding Engima(runeword chest armor that gives +1 to teleport on any char except while in wolf or bear form) is a game changer.

For good guides on D2 check out D2JSP.ORG

D3 has 2. CM wiz and WW Barb. D2 is win
Although barbarian is a fun character to begin with, It's the most item dependent class, so you'll probably struggle at higher difficulties.

Use this site http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/ for cube recipies, runewords, uniques and stuff. Very usefull.

You will probably need ATMA, that is a muling program (and nothing else) to help you store items (link: http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?751371-ATMA-changes-upgrades-for-1-13 ).

edit: Don't even try to actively farm for runes, it will end in utter frustration. For example, I've only seen Zod drop once in my life, many years before (1.09 era) and it wasn't me playing. The biggest high rune I've ever got was a Jah, aquired recently on single player and I've screenshotted it for keepsake. Just carry on farming without minding for runes at all. Luckily, you can combine every rune till Zod in singleplayer using the Cube.
I always make a fury druid whenever I start the game after a break (like a year xD) and find a cool replenishing javelin and decide to make a javazon. After all these, I realise that I wanna make a necro with corpse explosion and after a while I got bored and make an elemental druid. This is like a rituel for me.

And always be pissed at myself for not making a sorc to farm the bossess. It's been like 4 years since I made a sorc xD

God I'm gonna go and make a sorc right now.
Well D2 is nothing like POE, its so far ahead of POE. D2 only really gets good during Act 3 before then its kindda meh, D2 also has better music, MUCH better music, one thing that amazes me is that D3 / SC2, both blizz games have terrible music when blizz gets massive high praise for music.

Classes are more or less the same, D3 is cleaner, more options etc some say D3 is dumbed down but if you look at what they removed or changed you will notice it was all the things that didnt really matter much as you would make sure you managed it early on yourself (incoming stamina / portal whine).

Make sure you get use to 2 buttons too and try out LOD, one thing I can safely say is the bosses in D2 had far more character than the ones in D3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oW_rEi8X4Y lore isnt important all the time but at least have tome character with main characters, and not make them completely retarded as they are.
29/01/2013 17:45Posted by SICCMR187
Wanna see what the fuss is about, any tips before i start

I played Diablo I and II when it they were current games, spent a couple of months on each of them, got bored, moved on, played something else.

I think the biggest tip I can give you is to try and find some retrospective rose-tinted glasses as I don't look back at Diablo I and II with anything like the fanatical zeal others do.
Try the barb's crybarb (shourbarb) build it's the funniest build ever.
Well i spent a few hours on it before forgetting to check the thread, Its actually pretty good :) and i am early act 1 still. I just went through an underground tunnel and starting to find goatmen mobs to kill :).
I found one yellow, (is that legendary, rare or unique??) its a nice sword, and died once before panicking like crazy because i had no gear on me lol

Anyway thanks for all the info, i will check out that website and mule thing because the inventory is doing my head in a bit.
And graphics where fine, reminds me of my teenage years playing fallout 2, planescape torment ect

also am i good to just dump all stats into vitality because that's what i been doing :s
30/01/2013 01:08Posted by SICCMR187
lso am i good to just dump all stats into vitality because that's what i been doing :s

It's ok you can fail for the 1st try. At some point, you'll need stats for gear and you'll realise that you've messed up and start over again.

Btw you can change monsterlvl. I recommend you to do so, i always play at 8. Check the armory and you'll see what kind of stats to wear some stuff.

If yellow is slightly gold-like or ash-yellow type, it's legendary. If you see a bright yellow it's rare. It always takes a while till I get used to it (screen brightness of my choice is not going well with D2 drops ^^)
TBH I would play on battle net, half of the game for me was trading with other players and making good deals (currency is in gems, runes and most items have a certain value). This way if you find something your not going to use on your current character you can trade it for somethng you will.

Also o ladder you get certain items you can't get on non ladder mode. Stuff like spirit shield rune word for sorc is unbeatable and really easy to make yourself.

The only probably with battle net ladder playing is that you'll be spammed to death with spam bots and there are plenty of bots just rushing chars and Baal running, but you can make an ignorelist to block them, just look it up. Also the market is flooded with dupes, but Tbh if you wanna experience the game and not spend 10 years on it the that will speed things up. It doesn't mean you'll get stuff for free, it just means that all high runes are much more available (but still at a price).

Making all the different char builds is what kept me busy on battle net through the years. I didn't even finish making them all, even with the dupe saturated market.
diablo 2 get's so freaking sick when you learn how to upgrade, combine, and theory craft on all the posibilities...

Like combining enigma + fcr on a trap oriented assasin...that build had very few flaws...beside the obvious full absorb gear in duels.
30/01/2013 02:02Posted by Sheryll
If yellow is slightly gold-like or ash-yellow type, it's legendary. If you see a bright yellow it's rare. It always takes a while till I get used to it (screen brightness of my choice is not going well with D2 drops ^^)

Let's stick with the real term "unique" instead of legendary. Just because it's called that in D3 it's still called unique in D2. To avoid confusing :)
And frankly, most of the legendary items in D3 does not deserve that kind of honor. Same goes for D2, hence the word unique. I know it's nitpicking, but still :P

Blue (magical item) -> Bright yellow (rare item) -> Golden/browngold (unique item)
Green (set item)
Red/redorange (crafted item)(you can learn about them following the link in my last post)

Classes are more or less the same, D3 is cleaner, more options etc some say D3 is dumbed down but if you look at what they removed or changed you will notice it was all the things that didnt really matter much as you would make sure you managed it early on yourself (incoming stamina / portal whine).

More or less the same? I won't try to make this into a D2 vs D3 thread. But that is simply not true. The class diversity in D2 is much wider than in D3. Both in terms of skills and item usage. Blame the lack of skill trees and poor itemization.