About to play D2 for first time

General Discussion
If you want to know what D2 is like, you need to play on HC battlenet, all other is not the thing you are looking for and hear from ppl praising.

Also this builds ppl mention are only possible, if you play on Ladder battlenet cause you will not find gear that is needed for those builds on yourself and you'll need to trade.

Don't mind the graphic cause they are 800x600, mind the depth of the game, musci, quest system that does not force story down your throat, no stupid cutscenes or any cr**** like that.

1st char go with like some1 said, blizzard sorceress cause shes super easy to play and does not require that much gear to own. Remember faster attack is not same as faster cast rate, dex on sorceress gives you block chance which can be uped to 75% so don't dump all in vita,... there are much of the other stuff to consider when creating a char that can survive and own not just primary stat and all res. Once you start seeing this stuff and options you can chose from, you'll mby get what all the fuss is about, but still YOU SHOULD PLAY THIS LIKE 7-8 years ago when this was OMFG, now graphic are simply out of date but the rest is still the standard of aRPG. Diablo 2 is standard every1 looks up to!

I'd say up to today no game has came close to D2 in it's epicness, closest so far is POE for me. D3, oh well it's just J.W.ed to the ground :(
D2 was an amazing game, almost close to perfect, at the time, for me.

The graphics are a bit too painful for me now, sadly, but even a short game i had the other day rewarded me with set items, in act 1, normal and some low level uniques /o\.

I hate what they have done to loot in D3 8'(
I have no idea why i never heard of Diablo back then. 7-8 years ago I was 20, think i was playing Europa barbaorum mod everyday on Rome total war and scouring the web for good rpgs, I even used to download other peoples with RPG maker 2k.

When i worked on a local farm me and a colleague would play Tekken 3 every morning for hours on end and DBZ budaki 2. (excuse the spelling) anyone remember those games?
anyway point is i wished i had found D because its pretty awesome and i would have had a lot of time to play it.

However I do think D3 is awesome too, but I can now recognize how different the 2 are.

Anyway later on after my studies I will check out some of the gear stat requirements and have a good think about my stat allocation. How is the WW barb in this game btw? I am using one in D3 so I thought I would aim for that on my first play through. What weapon prof should i invest my saved skill points into for this? duel wield like D3 or WW with a 2 hander?
30/01/2013 12:41Posted by SICCMR187
Anyway later on after my studies I will check out some of the gear stat requirements and have a good think about my stat allocation. How is the WW barb in this game btw? I am using one in D3 so I thought I would aim for that on my first play through. What weapon prof should i invest my saved skill points into for this? duel wield like D3 or WW with a 2 hander?

WW barbs works very well in Diablo II. Go for it. You should pick a mastery and stick with it. I would suggest axe, sword or mace and then dual wield. Remember that barbs in Diablo II can dual wield 2-handed weapons. Awesome? Yes I think so.

Edit: Someone would probably come by and say one mastery is superior to the others because you can make runewords in a high level socketed weapon of that type. But honestly. When you have just started playing don't pay attention to what über gear you CAN get. Just choose the weapon type you like the most :)

Edit 2: To avoid frustration. You can use two 2-handed SWORDS. Not axes, maces, polearms and more. Only dual wield all kinds of 1-handers and 2-handed swords.
Whilst we talk about the good things, let us not forget the bad things (b.net related)...
1) Bots using "Pick-it" script - makes it effectively impossible to pick up good drops.
2) Spam, OMG the spam!
3) Dodgy trading / Dupes that would disappear!

All the above were main issues for me - especially the picking up of high lvl items that would always be sniped away! All these issues were to be resolved by D3's new online connection!

but,
we still have spam,
we still have bots,
we still have dupes,
and the high lvl items are so rare they are controlled by bots! So still no chance of getting them!

At least in D2 you still have itemisation...
I'd start off with light sorc, download a script that lets you farm Pindleskin AND Nihlathak. run that to oblivion and you'll have all the gear you want!

I'd do that until i was able to kit out a Smiterdin - then i'd tank Ubers all day long :)
If you have friends in the right places you can request to join them on an uber run - 3 waves = lvl82 character in 3 minutes! Awesome to behold :)

P.S. i do not condone botting - however D2 is just !@#$tarded with bots!
If you play solo offline, just do like all pro D2 players did: download a trainer program, then edit your saves as needed. You can even create items that can't drop in the game like that!
30/01/2013 14:57Posted by Daera
If you play solo offline, just do like all pro D2 players did: download a trainer program, then edit your saves as needed. You can even create items that can't drop in the game like that!

Of course if you want to ruin your game experience do what Daera does. I would still suggest to play it by the way it was meant to be played. Aside from the muleing program ATMA. You could do that anyway using two copies of Diablo and use other characters to hold your items. ATMA just makes that easier and that program is widely accepted in Diablo II's singleplayer community.

Kisses and love. Hope you have a great time with Diablo II.
Lookup info in http://www.diablowiki.com/Diablo_III_Wiki whenever you want to know stuff.
Other than that: have fun. I know I still do.

Another tip: use gems potions etc. whenever you want: no real need to hoard, especially when you start the game.
Build and items diversity - much more unique affixes on items, more skills, more fun
Gold is needless as you get tons of it anyway
You want medium-tier item - you farm Mefisto, high-tier items you farm Pindleskin and Nihlathak, you need xp - farm Baal-runs, you want a mind-blowing item - get runes and make a runeword; you want a faster-than-light weapon go with phaseblade with Grief, you want pure dps - BotD, you want some fun get a Beast maul, mobs annoying you because of immunities - take a merc with Infinity... and in D3? alkaizer alkaizer alkaizer then some act 3 playthrough and alkaizers again... oh there were ubers in D2 too with (tbh) a much better reward than those in D3
Gems just dropped in the best quality - no need to "glue" them together for hours spending tons of cash...
And no cooldown on bottles - especially mana bottles :P

But this all just couldn't be easly controlled by devs (economy-wise) and it was too complicated for an average 15 year old american kid... so they made D3 as it is now