Activision-Blizzard best quarter in history

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
http://www.bug.hr/_cache/2f14c9a5d88260e7c51bfed478f666cf.jpg
(Doesn't the CEO look like a treasure goblin? :D)

"Activision Blizzard delivered the best performance in its history," CEO Bobby Kotick said in the financial statement. "In the short-term, we expect to continue delivering strong profitability, but below our record setting 2012 performance, due to a challenged global economy, the ongoing console transition and a difficult year-over-year comparison because of Blizzard's record-shattering Diablo 3 success in 2012."

ROTFL,
I guess today delivering subpar quality means making more money :(
And since they expect to continue, we will get more subpar quality :)

[Edit: subpar in the context of advertized genre and features. For example if Chevrolet announces a new Corvette which will go 200km/h and have customizable options, but you get a truck with none in the end, it is a subpar product, which oddly can be a really good truck]

Full article: http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/activision-blizzard-sees-best-performance-in-history-during-20/
Greed is good it appears.

Player loyalty and reputation and dashed hopes and expectations mean nothing to Mr. Kotic it seems.

Oh well my annual pass is now cancelled and I won't spend another penny on Activision / Blizz games.
Diablo 3 post patch 1.07 is a GOOD game.

Period.

And it sold 2 million EXTRA copies (out of 12 million total), so quality has a price and people are willing to PAY for it even if some hate trollers think otherwise.

That's my lesson learned. Communists have no place in this business.

And btw stop making "success" as something bad.

The BEST sold musical artist of the last 2 years was Adèle. She SOLD records while other artists are copied and went free to play.

So did Diablo 3.

If you can't live with that success play the amateur duds, I play the Blizzard quality of games which excell in long term support LONG after these other duds are launched.
Boske, financial success != good game.

I played the PTR, and I can tell you that the game is the same, the core problems remain:

- still no RPG
- broken itemization (with BoA bandaids)
- lack of diversity, being gear or build
- lack of social features (new battlenet is a step back from the previous in D2)
- inbalance
- broken economy (but this is just a consequence for various other problems)
Yes but whilst Adele "Set Fire to the Rain" Ben our friends at Blizz have seemingly allowed Diablo3 to become a cover for "Burn Baby Burn"
I played it too and the game just went better in patch 1.07

Just like 1.04 with Paragon and just like 1.05 with MP adaptable play and key hunting.

1.07 brings self crafted Legendary gear that's bind on account, so smooth grinding and crafting. Since this gear is only adressed to you, it doesn't need the AH link. Great.

Only idiots would play a Hack/slash for the RPG elements.

No one plays video games to hear 2356 times the same story.

You play a H&S game to bash mobs and grind until your ears start to bleed and patch 1.07 is just that: awesome new mechanics to hunt these mats.

Sorry: but your post failed.
Boske why are you trolling (EDIT: and insulting) ?

You don't even seem to understand what is RPG...

If I wanted a story I would go play an adventure game.

RPG means character development and customization.
In Diablo there is none. Everybody is the same.
Diablo is being called Action RPG, but I don't reckon any RPG in it.

I agree to a degree with you that they are getting little better with every patch, but in no patch any core problem has been solved.

We need a real patch that changes the game to its core to make it a really good game.

Right now it is and will forever be stuck in the "playable game" range.
08/02/2013 13:22Posted by BenBoske
The BEST sold musical artist of the last 2 years was Adèle. She SOLD records while other artists are copied and went free to play.

Now imagine if the marketing for her album said it had 11 tracks on (which '21' does) but when you got the CD home you discovered that "Rolling In The Deep" wasn't included, and you could only play track 3. It would still have sold a lot of CDs, but it wouldn't have been what was advertised or what her fans wanted.
Boske why are you trolling?

You don't even seem to understand what is RPG...

If I wanted a story I would go play and adventure game.

RPG means character development and customization.
In Diablo there is none. Everybody is the same.
Diablo is being called Action RPG, but I don't reckon any RPG in it.

I agree to a degree with you that they are getting little better with every patch, but in no patch any core problem has been solved.

We need a real patch that changes the game to its core to make it a really good game.

Right now it is and will forever be stuck in the "playable game" range.

that's your problem I repeat:

You play a H&S game to bash mobs and grind until your ears start to bleed and patch 1.07 is just that: awesome new mechanics to hunt these mats.

You apparently want another game which D3 is not addressing.

I give an example:
Example: Do you know... ONE of the best times I had in WOW were these:

Once in TBC I had to have a specific plan to craft me a bow.

It only dropped from some mobs in a rather dangerous corner.

It took me 10 days before the plan dropped and around a 1000 mobs later. That was awseome.

Another grind I really really liked was becomeing Justicar in WOW: Playing 8 weeks of WSG non stop for 10 hours a day.

Awesome.

I see these same mechanics in Diablo 3 and I like them. No attunements, no rep grinds, just grinding and smashing mobs.

I like them even more in patch 1.07.

Seriously, if you don't like the game, stop. As easy as that.
08/02/2013 12:42Posted by Wired
Oh well my annual pass is now cancelled and I won't spend another penny on Activision / Blizz games.

Cataclysm broke my own World of Warcrack addiction a little over two years ago after almost five years of playing WoW so I know exactly how much of a wrench this is going to be for you. Let me assure you that the outside world still exists and your friends and familiy will be happy to see more of you again. :)
You play a H&S game to bash mobs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

Where do you see Hack'n'Slash?

Its action role playing as defined by Blizzard, and it fails to achieve that.

I bought what they are advertizing as genre but it is not.
08/02/2013 13:44Posted by Meteorblade

Cataclysm broke my own World of Warcrack addiction a little over two years ago after almost five years of playing WoW so I know exactly how much of a wrench this is going to be for you. Let me assure you that the outside world still exists and your friends and familiy will be happy to see more of you again. :)

Why do Blizzard haters always have to kick back at anything after having enjoyed so much time in their games, I have no clue...

Are you all that insecure you need confirmation about decisions being made?
You play a H&S game to bash mobs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

Where do you see Hack'n'Slash?

Its action role playing as defined by Blizzard, and it fails to achieve that.

I bought what they are advertizing as genre but it is not.

If you want to consider hardcore grinding and searching for specific mats or goals as a form of RPG than that's solved.

I know I can, if your meaning of RPG is wondering around in a world jumping from quest to quest in unseen places forever, than you are playing the wrong game.

Simple. Millions play it and like it,
08/02/2013 13:47Posted by BenBoske
Why do Blizzard haters always have to kick back at anything after having enjoyed so much time in their games, I have no clue...

If you have problems with Blizzard haters then don't discuss with them, simple as that.

I personally don't hate Blizzard, I like to mock them a little, since they failed with their most prominent project, and that deserves some mocking. You obviously don't want to prize someone who disappointed you and failed. They deserve it.

However I don't hate them, and I wish them to fix this.

But if I want them to fix this then I need to state the truth about what is wrong with it.

Saying that the game is good because it sold 12M copies, is pretty childish reasoning.
08/02/2013 13:32Posted by BenBoske
Only idiots would play a Hack/slash for the RPG elements.

http://i.imgur.com/PmxQzRR.jpg
08/02/2013 13:49Posted by BenBoske
I know I can, if your meaning of RPG is wondering around in a world jumping from quest to quest in unseen places forever, than you are playing the wrong game.

I finished the quest storyline.

But i'd like what I never had in Diablo 3.

Characted development choices.
Customization.

A ... hear... hear........** ROLE **

Right now we are all everything. There are no roles whatsoever.

If you have problems with Blizzard haters then don't discuss with them, simple as that.

I personally don't hate Blizzard, I like to mock them a little, since they failed with their most prominent project, and that deserves some mocking. You obviously don't want to prize someone who disappointed you and failed. They deserve it.

However I don't hate them, and I wish them to fix this.

But if I want them to fix this then I need to state the truth about what is wrong with it.

Saying that the game is good because it sold 12M copies, is pretty childish reasoning.

Your truth is not my truth.

As I explained what I like in the game: the grind (CASUAL whenever I am in the mood).

While the comments of people to "fix" things are hardly telling me they like to play a grinding game.

if you want to play an MMO: play an MMO, but not Diablo 3.

Saying that the game is bad because of 12 M sales and a 33% retention rate after 9 months in IN game public grouping is even more childish ...
08/02/2013 13:56Posted by BenBoske
if you want to play an MMO: play an MMO, but not Diablo 3.

You obviously are hard to grasp what people are writing so I'll fix your quote:

if you want to play an action RPG (as advertized by Blizzard): play an action RPG, but not Diablo 3, since it isn't.

PS. Diablo 3 is almost a MMO, because there are more elements of a MMO in it then RPG.
Except the "Massive" part of it.
Ben, how long was your ban for baiting?