disappointed newbie to diablo player

Console
hi all,
this isn't a troll thread but just gonna give my opinion on this game.
i've never played any previous diablo games until this one and after see the trailers I thought i'd give it a shot...bought the game about two weeks ago and been playing it on an off over the two weeks until last night when I completed it.
Admittedly i've only completed it in normal mode and I understand there are the other harder modes but...honestly....im struggling to find the motivation to play it all over again, in fact I'm really really disappointed how small this game turned out to be.
I completed every inch of every level and dungeon, killed every monster on every map including destroying every vase/table/barrel/table and god knows what else and now the thought of repeating it all over again is just mind numbingly pointless.
sure you probably get better weapons and stuff, but to what end, only to repeat the same things over again and again?
I see people on these forums asking for people to farm with and to that I see no point...to what purpose does that serve? so you end up with the best weapon and armour...you complete the game on the hardest level and then what?
I know this is only my opinion and I respect all you people that can find that motivation to play it again and again, but unfortunately I don't have the zeal to repeat this game...I simply know what im up against now, I've seen all the bosses and critters there are to fight and repeating the game is just seeing the same enemies but just harder to kill.
I simply thought this game would be a BIG game...and it isn't.
24/09/2013 20:48Posted by seventigers
you complete the game on the hardest level and then what?

I read all the way up until here and then I realized, not only diablo 3, but gaming in general isn't for you, get a new hobby :P
you complete the game on the hardest level and then what?

I read all the way up until here and then I realized, not only diablo 3, but gaming in general isn't for you, get a new hobby :P

hmmm...actually im a hardcore gamer..ever since the days when the very first spectrum home computer came out ive been gaming and over the years, decades even...ive seen how computer games have transcended and evolved..I know this is the consol version so comparisons to computer games should not be made.
I own both a PC and the xbox 360 and will admit to doing most of my gaming on the PC.
This still doesn't detract from the fact of how disappointed I am by diablo's longevity and that it bases it's longevity on players repeatedly playing the game over and over again.
No doubt expansions will come out at a further cost..but that's life I guess.
I very much agree with Wikkels. You call yourself a hardcore gamer but can't bring yourself to playing a game through more than once? I'd steer away from sports games in your case as they're all essentially the same hockey/football match just with different and more difficult teams to beat.

You'll finish NHL/FIFA 14 in about 20 minutes I suppose. Hardcore \m/
Well, if you are a hardcore gamer, i'd love to know what you game, every game is about beating the hardest most difficult levels and being the best, weither it's by items, names, score or what ever
I never play sports games, mostly the games I play are 1st person shooters, so for example
COD
Modern warfare
dead space series
crisis series.and so forth
these I play mainly on the PC, but when a hack n slash type game come out I always get these on my xbox.
last 4 years I played a huge game called Guild wars but the grind was immense but I persevered and got my ranger to the ultimate title a char could have, so any argument about me not hacking any form of grind is moot.
when I heard about diablo 3 I obviously mistook it for a game of vast and many dungeons, like I said before I am new to the diablo scene.
don't get me wrong I have enjoyed diablo 3 immensely, my only disappointed was, it wasn't as big as I imagined it to be.
your probably right Taintia...I have to admit every game ive played ive always played just normal level and never thought about doing the harder levels, but then it still comes down to whether I have the enthusiasm to replay the same levels again albeit on a harder level.
I cant remember what the next lvl is called now, but im gonna give it a go in ten minutes, see if I can find that enthusiasm.
Play Hardcore, That'll keep you playing i guess.
So let me get this straight you've got to level 30 and quit.. not even got to 60 to unlock all character skills/passive's and done it on the easiest mode at least get to 60 and then complete inferno before you judge the game as you;ve played about 5% of it.
Not really sure how you can be disappointed with Diablos length and then say you play first person shooters which are probably the smallest games in terms of content. Almost all can be completed within a few hours and unless you PvP every level is essentially just a vehicle to have you repeat the same few combat situations over and over again.
25/09/2013 22:03Posted by edwoods
So let me get this straight you've got to level 30 and quit.. not even got to 60 to unlock all character skills/passive's and done it on the easiest mode at least get to 60 and then complete inferno before you judge the game as you;ve played about 5% of it.

no, I haven't quit and I don't want to, so im giving nightmare lvl a go....but I can see im not enjoying it as much as the first time around already, and if im not enjoying it the second time around how will I feel about the 3rd and 4th?
the problem ATM for me is I know what to expect, there is no, what's around the corner anymore.
Lets be frank EVERY game is repetitive, FPS games more than any. Think about it, in an FPS you use 3 buttons, Shoot, Aim and grenade, for hours...and hours....and hours <zzzzzzzzzzzzzz>

Everyone gets different things out of games, you play FPS (I assume multi-player as replaying any FPS story is just plain dull!) so you are playing for the challenge of PvP, Diablo is predominately PvE so you don't get the thrill of fighting other players, but the draw for "most" players is the loot. Diablo is all about the loot, if you want a deep long lasting game play something like Skyrim or Dragons Dogma, they have the extra long story because they are open world, Diablo is a loot brawler plain and simple which is why there was such uproar at the Auction House on PC which took the loot finding down to compensate.

If you are not drawn in by the loot finding then Diablo is not the game for you really, levelling to 60 is okay but all that does is give you the skills to fight the tougher bosses to find better Loot.
26/09/2013 19:12Posted by seventigers
the problem ATM for me is I know what to expect, there is no, what's around the corner anymore.

You do not know what to expect at all, you know the bosses and the monster types, but what loot will drop, what extra bonuses will the Mobs have, wait until you come up against a Waller, Desecration, Arcane Enchanted group of elite enemies, see how your tactics have to adapt to the new powers that Sap your health like a sponge but stop you escaping.

Any game is repetitive as I said previously, but you have to look deeper to see what draws players to Diablo.
Sounds like you should of did your research. Could of got D2 for half the price or emulated the first one for free. Diablo is a farming, grinding, and looting. Not for everyone. Move along sir.
Normal Mode is the tutorial mate, you've not even played the real game yet. As you go through the harder modes the tactics you and the AI use will change radically. It's like playing a whole different game. Different classes are like different games too. You also get new skills, and new runes, the combinations you make can change the entire way you play.

Did you forget the levels are randomly generated with different events each time you play? The mobs are not in the same place, the dungeons you went through last time might not even be there, maybe you'll have a whole new different one to play. There are side-quests and events that have a chance to spawn, different bosses, all sorts. You've only scratched the surface.

Once you get into Inferno the real game starts. Then you've got NV stacks to start working with, hunting down crafting recipes, opening the secret level and not to mention hunting down keywardens so you can start fighting Uber Bosses (super intense battles that last up to 20 mins! amazing fun).

You've also got the crafting system to start playing with, and by the time you've finally finished all the different features available, well the expansion pack should be turning up around then...

And if you do manage to finish all that (which I doubt, I'm 600 hours in and not done) there are the achievements to work on too, challenges such as fight the hardest boss naked, hunt down randomly spawning unique. And after all that? Well Hardcore.

When I first saw hardcore I thought hell no, that's not going to be fun, but now I turn off the lights, sit down with a fresh character (usually a class I don't know too well) and turn the difficulty to max. Every time your health gets low your heart is pounding, champs/elites make your hands shake and every unexpected mob will make you jump. It's once of the most intense, most fun experiences I've ever had with a game. Don't knock it till you've tried it. But playing on easy, is the fastest way to get bored. The game is supposed to be hard - and that's where the fun is.
no, I haven't quit and I don't want to, so im giving nightmare lvl a go....but I can see im not enjoying it as much as the first time around already, and if im not enjoying it the second time around how will I feel about the 3rd and 4th?

What difficulty are you playing? There are 8 levels of difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard and Master I to Master V).

Anything less than Master I is very easy to the point that your choice of abilities and choice of gear will not matter.

Part of the enjoyment of playing an RPG compared to FPS games is how you build your character in terms of abilities you use and gear you equip. When the game is too easy, those choices don't matter because you will simple stomp on every foe you encounter making the game trivial.
have played the game now for more than 2,7k hours and still looking for better items, there is no endcontent you can reach, as long there can be still an item what makes you better. Little by little.
Diablo 1-3 are just grinding games, looking for items is the endgame content.
And there is no end, at least for the players without money investments, like me.
Somewhere on the maps there is still a mempo waiting for me, a better witchhour wants to be found by me, better weapon waits for being used by me.

To say i played it normal to inferno always to end of act4 and now i am through only means, you bought the wrong games. There is no quest,that when you done this, so all is finished.
And to say i have seen every thing by playing SC until nightmare, sounds ähm funny.
Play HC and get it to P100, when you have done this, we can talk about reached everything.

It makes no difference if playing console or PC, both have same playing. At console you will get good items faster then at crap PC D3, but it is same, you will never be complete, as long there is a chance of getting better. I am playing console too.
We really appreciate when people take the time to explain why they are not having fun or why they struggling to find motivation to play, so thanks a ton for the constructive feedback :-)

24/09/2013 20:48Posted by seventigers
Admittedly i've only completed it in normal mode and I understand there are the other harder modes but...honestly....im struggling to find the motivation to play it all over again

In regards to this part, it should hopefully come as good news that we are looking into improving the Diablo III console experience by giving players even more reasons to continue playing after having reached the endgame. There is not yet much information available though, if anything in particular has been planned for the endgame on the console version, but I do know that several things are being explored currently in regards to this. Hopefully we will be able to share more information about this soon :-)
I suggest you to stick with FPS games, Action RPG / H&S type of games are not for you, thats it.