Lags probably not Blizzards fault - explanation here

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
I made a post about this in the technical support forum but it got locked and I was pointed to the big thread where they want you to post trace routes etc. This is the link to my original post: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8344285080#1.

If you understand Swedish you can follow this link http://www.alltele.se/kundservice/driftinformation/363-driftstorning-stockholm-telia-ko

If you can read it you will see that the problem probably lies in Telia's datacenter. Apparently they had a fire a week ago and a lot off traffic goes through telia and many EU D3-players from all over Europe might be affected. I did notice that almost every trace route contained telia.net and while I cant be positive that this is where the bottleneck is located it seems quite likely.

According to telia they are still trying to restore everything back to full functionality. With this in mind I urge everyone to stop panicking . This might very well still be Blizzards fault but at least some evidence points to other conclusions. It is ridiculous how some people have constructed deluded conspiracies about Blizzard dramatically decreasing server capacity on purpose etc.

Im not a blizzard fan-boy/loyalist at all, but critique should be fair and rational. I am positive blizzard isn't screwing us on purpose and Im sure they are doing the best they can to solve this situation, it is obviously in their own best interest as well
Thank you.

08/10/2013 17:45Posted by Fnord
Im not a blizzard fan-boy/loyalist at all, but critique should be fair and rational.

Seconded.
The problem is Blizzard still remain silence for past 7 days. If Telia datacenter is the issue, then just post it and let everyone know. I am sure you will see the lag thread cut down by 90% once the issue being communicated to players. The more they keep quiet on the issue, the more angry the players are and the more conspiracy theories will pop up which will unsettle all players. That why many players pointed out "Technical problem is not an issue, Lack of communication is the real problem for Blizzard"
That might explain why I can connect and play EU hardcore from the US without issue. :)
Well for one I don't think Blizzard wants to provide us with information unless it is 100 % confirmed. Can you imagine the outcry if Blizzard speculated on the cause and was wrong? I do agree they could be a bit more vocal and really assure everyone that they are doing everything in their power to handle this issue since I am sure we all agree these lags are a terrible detriment to our gameplay experience.
08/10/2013 18:12Posted by Fnord
I do agree they could be a bit more vocal and really assure everyone that they are doing everything in their power to handle this issue since I am sure we all agree these lags are a terrible detriment to our gameplay experience.
Let them know:
http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/about/contact.html
I'v payed my Diablo 3 on-line license to Blizzard . . . NOT TO TELIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So this is a Blizzard Problem ;)
What about the stuttering problem? Is it going to be fixed in this life or not? This is also so annoying!!!
08/10/2013 18:41Posted by Steelmaster
What about the stuttering problem? Is it going to be fixed in this life or not? This is also so annoying!!!

It's true that there has been different lag issues since release, my post only covered the exceptional problems of this last week.
08/10/2013 18:45Posted by Fnord

It's true that there has been different lag issues since release, my post only covered the exceptional problems of this last week.

I know I just wanted to mentioned also this problem because it is important in my opinion and has to be foreseen for an update from Blizz or at the worst scenario with the next expansion. This is so unfortunate because we loose plenty of enjoyment from the game!
Here is another link to look at when it comes to giving feedback:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8181279702
08/10/2013 17:45Posted by Fnord
If you can read it you will see that the problem probably lies in Telia's datacenter. Apparently they had a fire a week ago and a lot off traffic goes through telia and many EU D3-players from all over Europe might be affected. I did notice that almost every trace route contained telia.net and while I cant be positive that this is where the bottleneck is located it seems quite likely.

So does this mean that when you play single and your data does not pass through the telia data center you're unaffected, and if you play single and your data goes through telia you're affected? And If you play in a group where 1 or more players are connected via telia the whole group lags, and if nobody connect via telia the whole group can play lag free?

This would explain why it occurs so frequently in public games, and less in solo.
@Sÿlak

Useful links, thank you for providing them.
So does this mean that when you play single and your data does not pass through the telia data center you're unaffected, and if you play single and your data goes through telia you're affected? And If you play in a group where 1 or more players are connected via telia the whole group lags, and if nobody connect via telia the whole group can play lag free?

This would explain why it occurs so frequently in public games, and less in solo.

I am just a layman and I readily admit my knowledge is limited, but to me this sounds very logical and might very well be a valid explanation.
@Fnord how much $ did you take from Bliz for this post?

This is the worst lie that I have read from a weeks ago!

Do you know what is ping?If there is any problem with the connection, ping to blizz servers will be very hight.Is 45ms hight ping?

[root@shells log]# traceroute 80.239.168.67
traceroute to 80.239.168.67 (80.239.168.67), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 78.130.242.65 (78.130.242.65) 0.527 ms 0.910 ms 1.087 ms
2 94.155.94.252 (94.155.94.252) 2.565 ms 2.586 ms 2.563 ms
3 31.210.10.161 (31.210.10.161) 2.730 ms 2.703 ms 2.686 ms
4 pantel-ic-151985-bpt-b4.c.telia.net (213.248.73.214) 15.670 ms 15.658 ms 15.683 ms
5 bpt-b4-link.telia.net (213.248.73.213) 19.096 ms 19.023 ms 19.128 ms
6 win-bb2-link.telia.net (213.155.131.34) 22.919 ms 22.966 ms 22.847 ms
7 ffm-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.246.30) 35.466 ms ffm-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.248.146) 93.421 ms 93.336 ms
8 prs-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.246.181) 45.001 ms prs-bb2-link.telia.net (213.155.132.154) 45.063 ms prs-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.246.185) 45.069 ms
9 host-67.blizzard.com (80.239.168.67) 45.213 ms 49.168 ms 45.185 ms

Fire is only in your head!
08/10/2013 19:32Posted by caph

Lol, if they give money for posting in the forums in Blizzard's favor, I want some too.

@OP
Thanks for the useful info, it sheds some light to the issue, from a different point of view than the usual drivel about Blizzard purposefully sabotaging their own game.
08/10/2013 19:32Posted by caph

One milllllllion dollars!!! No but seriously I never claimed to be any kind of expert and if you read my post you will see that I am very clear about that we cant know for sure. The fire however is very much real, and whether or not this fire is to blame I thought it would be good idea to share this information, give my take on it and let everyone else come to their own conclusions as well.

@Nyarlathotep You are most welcome. And as I said many times now, while I can't conclude with certainty this is the sole reason for the lags we have been having I thought the information was relevant enough to share.
@OP
Thanks for the useful info, it sheds some light to the issue, from a different point of view than the usual drivel about Blizzard purposefully sabotaging their own game.
Agreed!
First

thanks for your thread

i said that i don't believe in this forum but you are changing my mind, because of some descent

players who fill the gap that blizzard lacks in communication

so practically after translating your link (poorly):

""""""""""""""""""""""""
Our subcontractor is currently a one malfunction which affects Telia KO in the Stockholm area.

The fault is located and is due to a fire in a cable well in central Stockholm. Presently, no repair time.

Techniques jobber on solving the problem.

Update: 2013-09-26 09:25

Telia is the day to try to put on various links. The disruption is expected to be rectified during Friday afternoon.

Update: 2013-09-27 15:00

Unfortunately, the damage is very extensive and the error is expected to be completed early next week.

Update: 2013-09-30 09:45

The error is expected to be resolved during Tuesday afternoon (2013-10-01 15:00).

Update: 2013-10-01 13:25

The error is expected to be resolved during the Friday afternoon (2013-10-04 15:00).

Update: 2013-10-04 12:40

The work has been delayed and the network is not expected to be operational Foran 2013-10-06

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

We read that one of of Telia servers is not functional and

causing some disruption in traffics , since the 29th of september

The points i mentioned on many occasions is to communicate further, if they don't want to

speculate on this incident, an equivalent communication would have been enough:

(Ttaffic analysis indicate that a tier party incident may be the causing delays for some important numbers of D3 players , when this incident is repaired we will continue inspecting traffic for other main sources of networks delays), for further info a link
08/10/2013 20:35Posted by PHOENIX
so practically after translating your link (poorly):
Thanks for the translation!