Next Gold Sink

General Discussion
Now that the ah is been shut down what will be the new gold sink?
02/11/2013 01:53Posted by Blaine

The Mystic and crafting. The AH isn't really a gold sink anyway.

As the game stands now, there are a couple of soft sinks. The crafting of some gear, marquise gems, repair costs, and gem crafting, But because of the AH, most crafting is simply skipped.

This game is in need of a solid gold sink. Hopefully we will get one....two....three in a few months.

I take it you haven't seen much as far as news is concerned over the last two months.
[quote="85732457384"]I take it you haven't seen much as far as news is concerned over the last two months.

No i've been away from the game for a few months only news item i know is there is an expansion coming and the ah is been shut down.
There will be the Mystic, primarily. And due to the removal of the AH; I expect an overhaul done to the vendors as we're going to need a place where we can find plans, designs, dyes, and all those secondary items we're able to get from the AH. But the AH wasn't a gold sink in the first place.
The AH is going to be shut down on the 18th March next year. It has yet to be shut down.
AH is not even a gold sink.
A gold sink are when the gold disappears from the game, not between players.
AH is not even a gold sink.
A gold sink are when the gold disappears from the game, not between players.

300 million dissapears on a 2B purchase, unless you think Blizzard just takes it to sell for themselves on RMAH :D

So AH does sink a lot of gold, but perhaps it nullifies the need to use other gold sinks so much that the net sink would be the same without it..
02/11/2013 02:27Posted by Sÿlak

The Mystic and crafting. The AH isn't really a gold sink anyway.

As the game stands now, there are a couple of soft sinks. The crafting of some gear, marquise gems, repair costs, and gem crafting, But because of the AH, most crafting is simply skipped.

This game is in need of a solid gold sink. Hopefully we will get one....two....three in a few months.

I take it you haven't seen much as far as news is concerned over the last two months.

The AH isn't a goldsink indeed, as the gold is merely removed from the player but not the game.

The mystic and crafting should serve as fairly efficient and solid gold sinks in Reaper of Souls, and with the AH gone, a lot of gold will go into crafting, enchanting, and transmogrification. Also, since BoA will serve as a kind of item sink, the item game should feel much more meaningful and interesting in general than it does today.

When Reaper of Souls is out. you will actually need to evaluate your loot more carefully than you do today, because not only will you have more options on what you can do with your loot, but your decisions on what to do with said loot will be much harder to undo. For an example; a decent item today that has one or two main stats wrong for you might be an obvious trade or salvage, but come Reaper of Souls that same item might actually be an item that you could instead enchant into an upgrade or sidegrade for one of your characters. But should you chose to enchant it, then that item will become BoA and will no longer be tradable.

You must choose, but choose wisely!
06/11/2013 13:19Posted by Vaneras
The AH isn't a goldsink indeed, as the gold is merely removed from the player but not the game.

Ehr. What about that 15% cut you take from me every time? =)

Also, since BoA will serve as a kind of item sink, the item game should feel much more meaningful and interesting in general than it does today.

What you mean by this is, if you want an item to maintain it's value in the future, dont' let the mystic get her hands on it?

Using items and then passing them along is a core function in the d2 franchise, which was controlled with ladder systems. Why is it being moved away from? I can understand why personal crafts work that way but using this system you effectively turn my badass mace into a crafting material if i give it to the mystic, returning a boa item to me.
06/11/2013 13:22Posted by Draugnim

A very soft gold sink if you need to put the "gold sink" tag on the 15%. There are plenty of people that do not use the GAH so for them, it serves as a 0% gold sink. :)
[quote]Now that the ah is been shut down what will be the new gold sink?

The AH isn't really a gold sink anyway.

Wait so turning 10M gold into 8.5M gold is not a gold sink?

Do they even play this game????

Are you forgetting about the 15% AH FEE???

Player sells item for 10M a player buys it for 10M, the player who sold it receives 8.5M from the sale but it seems that 1.5M gold from the AH fee is 'still in the game'.
06/11/2013 13:22Posted by Draugnim

True, the 15% cut does serve as a goldsink, but I would still not call the AH as a whole a gold sink since most of the gold being traded merely changes hands and thus actually stay in the game. I will not protest if people insist on calling the AH a gold sink though, but in that case I will agree to call it an ineffective gold sink instead ;-)
Even if a player uses the GAH to buy gear, that same player could go months without ever using it even though they may play for 8 hours a day.

Remove the AH and insert some serious crafting choices plus the Mystic..........now we are looking at some serious gold use/sinkage from a lot more players. ;)
We gotta wait and see what new crafting materials drop and or new sorts of items that drop. Perhaps a new sorta item like the D2 stone of jordan will drop. (Not the current legendary ring).

Honestly there will have to be some sort of new currency because right now gold balance is really out of wack. There are players with literally billions upon billions of gold and then you have some players that yes play alot and they struggle with only a few million trying to do with what they can on the AH with that.

This is also why a ladder is needed and I can't wait to see more on this, players need a brand new economy because clearly there will be people with their current characters that have a crazy money advantage over other players come RoS if gold is still the norm.

Me personally I will play my WD at the start because he is dear to my heart, I love my character but if I see the current economy is not even worth trying to stay in, I'm out and onto the first ladder season the day it pops open. And I'll either reroll a new Witch doctor or a crusader.
Also, since BoA will serve as a kind of item sink, the item game should feel much more meaningful and interesting in general than it does today.

So its sure? BoA will be included 100%? Good to hear!
06/11/2013 14:46Posted by Skelos

So its sure? BoA will be included 100%? Good to hear!

That is the plan. Btw. this was also mentioned in our article about the Mystic, which goes into more detail on how enchanting works :-)

Keep in mind that when choosing which property you wish to reroll, you will only be able to reroll that one property from then on out. After a single property has been changed via Enchanting, all other properties will become "locked in" and cannot be rerolled. Also, once you Enchant an item, it will become bound to your account and can no longer be traded to other players.
I read the article, but this quote is more recent (from 1st of November):

Quote (Lylirra): "It’s more than a subtle hint. I actually just spoke to Wyatt this morning, and they’ve already tasked removing BoA from transmogrification."

Source: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10388638968?page=19#368

So, BoA or not?
06/11/2013 16:03Posted by Skelos
So, BoA or not?

For enchanting - Yes.
For transmogrification - No