End of Magic find: blue post

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Blizzard instead of trying to go closer to D2 after Jay's fail atempt with D3 release is going more away from D2 by removing MF from game.

In ROS beta there are streamers playing 3 days 10 hours per day and they are still wearing only rares. The drop of legendaries is very low there without any MF.

Here is blue post about it.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10895540027?page=2
I had 3 tonight over a 3 hour period.

1 x amulet, 1 x 2-hand sword and this...

http://imgur.com/9025h0R

1 an hour isn't that bad a drop rate. Especially when the one above opened up a whole new build for me.
i just played on ptr for like 2 hours and so far i have found 5 on master im not sure how much harder its going to be in RoS but so far it seems fine ?
Well I found 4 in first 20 mins but then nothing in next 8 hours or so. The point is you dont have influence anymore about drops just rnd.
Legendary drop rates are still way high; they should be lowered greatly. They should be as rare as pre-monster power was introduced.

Legendaries are now the strongest items in the game and they are build changing; therefore, they should be near impossible to find. This way people will keep hunting for them and this will help the end game.

We shouldn't be finding a legendary everyday! What's the point if you can find most legendaries you need within few months?!

I hope they lower the drop rates further so that we can find only 1 legendary per 30 hours of play.
17/12/2013 03:34Posted by DarkAbyss
Legendary drop rates are still way high; they should be lowered greatly. They should be as rare as pre-monster power was introduced.

Legendaries are now the strongest items in the game and they are build changing; therefore, they should be near impossible to find. This way people will keep hunting for them and this will help the end game.

We shouldn't be finding a legendary everyday! What's the point if you can find most legendaries you need within few months?!

I hope they lower the drop rates further so that we can find only 1 legendary per 30 hours of play.

Rofl. I disagree. This would be boring.
I found 5-6 legendaries in PTR since I started playing, on Saturday. Generally I like the new drop system, much fewer items dropped, no more clutter on screen, each drop is assessed on spot.
Does the ls affix simply not work anymore in 2.0 but still will be seen in the row of affixes op your wep or belt ?
17/12/2013 01:07Posted by Desper
In ROS beta there are streamers playing 3 days 10 hours per day and they are still wearing only rares. The drop of legendaries is very low there without any MF.

Hm I saw Kripparian getting 4 i 2 seconds of gob killing.... And most of the streamers Ive watched have so many legs they have storage issues.... Oh well. Different streams I guess.

The thing you ought to be unhappy about isnt removal of MF but that they have said drops rate in Beta are buffed and will be reduced for release :-)

17/12/2013 01:28Posted by Arbeia
http://imgur.com/9025h0R

1 an hour isn't that bad a drop rate. Especially when the one above opened up a whole new build for me.

Go get a lot of fetishes, Arb, and volly the mobs to death - it will look like a SWAP team breaking down doors in known crack dens, just filling everythin with lead :-)
That is nice,low leg drop and no ah.this is win win for both blizz and players.players want no ah, granted.but in return,play long term for them. :D people will say its boring when no leg drops for them, others will say having high leg drop chance, they will have insane gears in 2 weeks and gets boring after that..people just have no contentment.
17/12/2013 07:34Posted by KrAaY
Does the ls affix simply not work anymore in 2.0 but still will be seen in the row of affixes op your wep or belt ?
it works but is much less effective.
If you take your time readeing the blue post instead of asking silly questions you would have learned that at the moment MF has a 30% effectiveness on rare items and 10% effectiveness on legendary/set items.

This means that having 300% MF on your character sheet gives you an effective 90%MF for rares and 30%MF for legendary/set items, actually making it not much of a "must have" stat.

Anyway, I like the fact that they are removing the need for MF.
About drop rates, at the moment I'm dropping a legendary about every 2 hours (or a bit more).
Drop rates might seem underwhelming in the PTR as the only way to drop them is by killing monsters in campaign mode, while in RoS you have other methods (horadric caches, nephalem rifts and adventure mode open world).
The drop rate feels right to me.
Not too many and not too few, but would be better if they added some bonus to expert and master difficulties as at the moment there is no point in playing them for items.

Up to now with my wizard I dropped:
- Zweinhander (with a low level character) disenchanted into a fiery brimstone even if it was a level 13 item!
- String of Ears
- Maximus
- Tal'Rasha's Allegiance (amulet)
- Blackthorne's Spurs (boots)
- Blackthorne's Jousting Mail (pants)
And two new legendaries
- Archmage's Vicalyke (new wizard hat)
- Unnamed new bracers that give experience when you loot gold
(+ some legendary crafting materials)
EDIT:
http://i.imgur.com/MHai6Vj.jpg

Since I've played the PTR only for 3 days, and not much time every day, I think the drop rates are satisfying. (IMO)

PS: love the new effect of Tal'Rasha's set, can't wait to get a full set of it when RoS goes live ^_^
17/12/2013 01:07Posted by Desper

Only rares! Great.. i want it like that. Legendaries have always been too powerful (d2 and d3), and after a long while everyone is wearing the same damn items (seeing Skorn being wield by every class nowadays).

Good thing they don't drop all the time.

First people were complainging that Legendaries drop too much.. 2 days of farming and you beat Torment 6 etc.

Now they drop less.. is it time for complaining about it again?
Not sure why people are complaining about lowering the drop of legendary items.
Once you hit level 70 not every legendary is an upgrade. Not at all. If the drop rate would be lower then the potency of legendary would have to be increased, again. Which imo would be too much. There are some legendary items that make the difference to faceroll. That's Only 1 item.

The drop is good how it is now. An upgrade now and then and I don't feel bad about weaker legendary drops since I can disenchant.
I crafted Griswolds Sword last night and 2 of the stats are massive, it have splash of 23% and almost 2k LoH, this will allow me to use other stats on other items.

The damage roll wasn't the best so I will re-roll the damage to see if I can get something better.
Just blue-tagging this thread to make sure that more people will see it :-)

Travis day made two posts about what we are doing with Magic Find in Reaper of souls, and I will quote both of his posts below for a better overview of what he said:

Post 1:
Hello folks,

It's been a while, I've been off in Treasure Goblin land trying to get Reaper of Souls into shape. I wanted to stop by to give everyone some insight into what we are doing with Magic Find. For those of you who have heard me talk on the topic before you are probably already aware that MF is something we haven't been thrilled with for quite a while. The idea of MF is great "GET ALL THE THINGS!" the reality of it however is incredibly problematic and leads to more negative effects than positive ones. Getting the reward rate of the game to a place we are happy with is a difficult tuning process and when we try to add MF into the equation is creates a bit of a dilemma, one that was already pointed out in the thread, how do you balance the game to feel good for someone with 0% MF vs someone with 300% MF. Ultimately the answer to that question is "You can't" as such we have been trying to phase MF out of the game as much as possible.

In addition to changing exactly how MF interacts with finding items we also have dramatically reduced it's existence throughout the game. Having strong characters already equates into finding more items, both by virtue of killing things faster and also by virtue of playing in higher difficulties, which still do have rewards associated with them. Because of all of this we decided to not only remove MF as an affix from gear but also change exactly how MF interacts with different item qualities. MF will apply 100% of its benefit to Blue items, 30% to Yellow items, and 10% to Legendary and Set items. This means someone with 300% MF will end up finding roughly 30% more Legendary and Set items than someone with 0%. The design intent is to make things like Topaz gems in helmets or the Nagel Ring an option without them actually being mandatory.

I hope this helps clear the air and as the expansion moves further and further into its development cycle I'll start climbing out of this portal more frequently to answer questions.

Post 2:
Rewards per difficulty are still something we are tuning. I'll remind everyone that the purpose of Beta and PTR cycles is for us to test things, that means you will see things that may or may not be final. In the case of difficulty settings being rewarding we are still discussing and making changes to that system so what exists isn't necessarily final. (Nor is anything until the game has actually shipped).

On the topic of people thinking MF is an awesome way to get loot! Well here's a different way to look at it, getting better gear is going to get you items faster. I would rather you get gear faster because you are more powerful and therefore murdering hordes of strong enemies faster, not because there is a stat that secretly is the most important thing in the game but doesn't feel good because you have to sacrifice real power for it.

As to whether the drop rates for legendary items are right, time and data will tell. We know they were absolutely too high in the previous beta so we brought them down considerably to something that was within the realm of sanity. Again as part of a beta testing cycle we took them down to a place that is probably too low, but to find the right resting place we have to find where the bounds are, we were far too high, if this beta cycle is "far too low" than we have dramatically narrowed in on our ability to find "just right".
I'm just commenting this cause i was actually testing it.

I was farming some time with only a few mf,that items gave my "by mistake" -> meaning about 40~.
Then I had a gear from ages ago,with all mf and gf on it -> meaning 260 mf

Well to be honest with you guys,I really didn't see a lot of changes in drops. Obviously I was killing slower cause of the way lower gear,but I didn't measure it in time,but more like clearing areas. Roughly it was the same drop. So I decided to get back to the low/none magic find,and just kill stuff faster,and have more fun that way,then struggling around to "maybe!!!" get something better,or a legendary drop,with no actual proof.

And finally I'm really not complaining about the drops. The rare drops get me upgrades pretty often,and I have legendary drops too.

Conclusion for me, I'm happy with the changes,even thou i like the fact that there is an option that loot is not so random,but c'mon guys....Even when we had the option to get very high mf,nobody really used it (no mf gear)
A good change.

Now they should also remove bonus experience %

- In a public party, people with bonus experience % often have it on items that are weaker than other items (sucky hellfire rings, leorics signet) They rely on the good performance of others, whom maybe don't have bonus experience %, to do well in battle.
- With the new paragon 2.0 system, you'll almost always want bonus experience % since there is no cap anymore. Therefore, you will probably limit yourself in your ring choices, for example
- Hellfire Rings have too random stats.

It's just like magic find, you don't need to have it, but you feel like you need to have it.
If they want to remove MF altogether, they could just replace it with something else (probably GF) on current gear and increase the cap for it accordingly to avoid having legacy gear better in that regard.
Oh,and one more thing i NEED TO MENTION!!! And please listen carefully if blue posters read this.
"OUR" problem is the endgame right now,and MY point of making the game playable for more then just a few weeks or months is not the loot system,but the challenging system. What I exactly mean by that is:
-I'd consider doing a system,where even the BEST GEAR POSSIBLE!!!!! makes it hard to play in the later stages of the game.Which ultimately means you have to build up the hardness of the game,based on the best items you can get,because as soon as you get those items,gets easy,is not a good way to go.More into examples:
-If you find one of the best items on one gearslot-> you can turn up difficulty a bit
-If you find more -> turn up more (but not the hardest or you struggle VERY MUCH)
-If you managed to finally get all the best gears you wanted for your build\char ->turn up the difficulty to the maximum possible,and still find it difficult to process,die fairly much,get some penalties cause of "trying too hard",but also get the rewards if you succeed and being brave\good enough to get through the higher difficulties. And by penalties I mean gold\xp\currency lost when death/failing missions occur.

AFTER ALL THESE basics of the game are set,we can talk about how looting should work,what are the exact rewards we get for proceeding,etc. But you NEED TO FIX the CHALLENGING SYSTEM FIRST!!!

I really hope some of the big guys will listen to this post,because AGAIN...it's NOT the loot system that makes us stay in the game. Or at least it's a part of it (yes),but only because of the rewards you get for CHALLENGE!

We need to keep in mind that we're playing for fun mainly,and I enjoy having a great loot for 5 minutes,and might enjoy months to get throu a big challenge trying not to die or fail (that's why we got hardcore too,and see how many players are actually trying that and then stick to that...cause it's more fun,and needs more attention)

Finally just to bring up some easy examples of why it would work. As we all know there are stupidly retarded games all over the computer scene,telephone apps,etc. That makes us sooooo addicted...Slashing fruits? Crushing candies? Upgrading our cookies? ALL!!! of them really retarded,which 2 year old kids could play,and yet,most of us are addicted to one or another.And it's NOT cause of the great graphics,the rewards we get,the money we earn,etc. It's because we want to go higher,we want to keep going...we HAVE to keep going,unless we're gonna cry on the streets with huge drops of tears,cause our best friend got 3 levels higher then us,and we can't get through....and when we do,we !@#$in' tell him that he sucks,and how easy it is.AND KEEP GOING,SO WE CAN BE THE BEST...BY SAYING A NUMBER!

The game is as good as it can be.The graphics are spot on,the sounds are amazing,the videos tell you great stories,some makes you feel like you're actually in the game,makes you emotional,like a grammy awarded movie of the year,the characters offer diversity,the items are cool,the content is capable of making us stay in the game,and keep working on stuff,keep playing.Everything is just brilliant...Fix the few issues it has and make it a game we don't forget so easily and play,until we get the new expansion of a world of diablo. Epic like the diablo 2 was (is?!) But that's the future story. Now we got a problem. D3 was a problem which we're feeling it now in the expansion too...
Succeed in this one,and people come back to play,and wait for the new expansion again.
Fail again,and people will stop playing any release diablo will have in the future,including the one coming right now.

THINK about what i wrote here,and give some voice for it!!