Should Diablo introduce in game items for purchase?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 Next
Worst idea in the history of bad ideas. If this happens I and a lot of others would leave this game in a heartbeat and never look back. You got some goodwill for removing the idiotic AH/RMAH, yeah let's pay for this game and then have cash shop in it for the devs to waste time making useless !@#$ so someone who hasn't anything better to do with their money can play dress up with their toons.

For the people who actually would buy cosmetic nonsense; If you are going to spend 20 bucks on something, give to charity instead! At least there, the money will go to some good use, but no, you have a community willing to dish out 20 bucks/euros for a cosmetic piece of armor or pet. That is the essence of human suffering.

If this was a f2p or an MMO game then I could possibly tolerate it, but for a B2P 4-player ARPG model, stop insulting my intelligence.
I support the idea of a shop with micro transactions.

I play both GuildWars2 and Path of Exile, it works excellently in both.

The key to it is NO PAY TO WIN.

As long as no items you buy help you complete content or make your character more powerful in relation to other players characters it works very well.

So what sort of stuff would the shop have?

Cosmetic gear to help make your characters look awesome, you can have special themed gear.

Unique finishers with a awesome special effect.

Convenience items such as additional character slots, storage.

Pay to design your own item/monster. Put it in the game.

Etc, etc

The benefit to D3 players as a whole is a % of the profits from the shop, go to produce additional content for D3.

Was not sure about shops/microtransactions at first but after very, very positive experiences with Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile, I am a fan.

Far, far better than any auction house as a way of raising additional revenue!
GW2 is a mmo, Path of Exile has instanced killing zones, but cities are player hubs. Both have good potential to show off your gear. This game has none of this, also had good income after release based on RMAH, but those moneys weren't invested in further developing the game to the extend of GW2/POE updates.

So, a micro shop in Diablo 3 will do absolutely nothing to the game. We will still have bug fixes in the next expansion and nerfs in current expansion.
I think i wanted this in a thread long time ago before ROS was announced.
I would like to see this. 'cause i don't want to buy a game i dont like, like starcraft addon but i do indeed want the wings! i would buy them, why not.
I would also like to buy more charakter and shared chest slots.
I would like to see blizzard get some money out of that, it gives possibilitys to reinvest to the game with new developers, making that game better.

But a blizzard game should never ever get a pay to win.
I am all in for cosmetic only! items that you can buy from a shop because at the end of the day they will help blizzard keep on developing and making D3 even more better.

But note with this comes great risk that blizzard will want more and so they will add boosts later on something else and these items will affect in game players.
20/01/2014 16:02Posted by DamZe
Worst idea in the history of bad ideas. If this happens I and a lot of others would leave this game in a heartbeat and never look back. You got some goodwill for removing the idiotic AH/RMAH, yeah let's pay for this game and then have cash shop in it for the devs to waste time making useless !@#$ so someone who hasn't anything better to do with their money can play dress up with their toons.

For the people who actually would buy cosmetic nonsense; If you are going to spend 20 bucks on something, give to charity instead! At least there, the money will go to some good use, but no, you have a community willing to dish out 20 bucks/euros for a cosmetic piece of armor or pet. That is the essence of human suffering.

If this was a f2p or an MMO game then I could possibly tolerate it, but for a B2P 4-player ARPG model, stop insulting my intelligence.

News flash.

It is their money and not yours therefore you have no right to tell them what to do.

You have no bussiness telling others what they should do with their money now GTFO.

Dont let the door hit your !@# on the way out.
29/01/2014 12:02Posted by Mannoroth
I am all in for cosmetic only! items that you can buy from a shop because at the end of the day they will help blizzard keep on developing and making D3 even more better.

But note with this comes great risk that blizzard will want more and so they will add boosts later on something else and these items will affect in game players.

As soon as D3/RoS start selling paid extras - the financial temptation I fear, would prove too great for Blizzard to resist selling actual game affecting items or buffs etc.

The ONLY exception I would happily accept is additional stash storage.I have played 200 hours + on PTR, and find that even with just the relevant bracers and boots with the various skills for my many and varied wizard builds - I am running out of space. And I play all classes, so definitely would appreciate this option ONLY.
14/01/2014 09:33Posted by Vaneras
If you are not sure of the best way to share your views on this topic, then perhaps you can try to answer any or all of the following questions instead:
What do you think about the idea of having an option to purchase cosmetic items, be it for transmogrification or other things along the line mentioned by Nightshade above?
Do you think cosmetic items should be reserved for things like rewards and rare drops, or should there be more ways to obtain such items?
How much do cosmetic items matter to you, and how essential do you feel it is that more such items be added to the game in the future?

Cosmetic in D3 - NO.
Rewards and rare drops are sufficient, or will be I hope.
They matter very little, as long as the care and design of the actual loot is inventive and creative enough to stimulate and excite.

I say this as a 7 year + Wow subscriber (indeed I got D3 free with my annual pass, lol) and the transmog there is interesting, though like most novelties - it wears off. I DO appreciate being able to die, and having played the PTR extensively - feel the new legendaries are visually and cosmetically and aesthetically sufficient.

EDIT - *dye (hehe)
I wouldn't mind, aslong as it's only cosmetic - that means no stash slots, no char slots etc. Things like new skins etc might be nice?

I care very little for these sort of things myself and wont be buying them anyway.
No. Micro transactions in premium priced games is not on, even if the items are cosmetic only.
01/02/2014 06:11Posted by MrH
No. Micro transactions in premium priced games is not on, even if the items are cosmetic only.
well, that's not entirely true. There are some games with DLCs that cost almost nothing and only contain additional skins for characters.
Even if admittedly, most of them are single player only.
No. No. No. No.... and no. Not even cosmetic. It always starts with cosmetic and vanity items... and we all know where this is eventually going.

The only category of games in which "store" is acceptable is free game. I paid for Diablo, and it was a premium price, I'm going to pay for the expansion as well - that's enough. I prefer to pay more for the game and not have micro-transactions shoved in my face everytime I play.
Frak NO. It ruins the whole consept of Diablo Go into dark places kill stuff and hope something good drops. It would break the core of the game as much as that frakking auctionhouse did.
Hell no. I don't care if it's only cosmetic items, I paid to play and have access to all the content in my game if I so choose to invest the time to do so. I do not want anything behind any sort of paywall (apart from perhaps CE stuff), or micro transactions. People encouraging this practice are those who are giving developers less reason to actually create worthwhile content for their games and instead invest time pumping out new limited time costumes.

It would be different if D3 was free to play and micro transactions were their sole form of income, but it isn't. So no, please keep micro transactions out of it. I would much prefer to farm the gold or items to create cosmetics.
I like the idea for items to be bought such as skins/transmogs for items or customizable wings however this should be paid using achievement points. These a achievement points could be obtained in many various ways...

for example by killing a boss on any torment level, lets say 1 achievement point per boss kill, by getting a character to level 60 and 70, or per 25 paragon levels you would get a number of achievement points. Another example would be your current achievement score, once these have all been completed possibly instead of just ending the progression you could add to the this score with your obtained achievement points (similar to paragon levels) which would be used to purchase certain items.

Another idea would be so that when you hit 100% achievement progress you are able to purchase some angel wings. This would be an incentive to keep playing and explore all acts to make sure you have achieved all content.

More ideas:
- Achievement points can be obtained in small numbers for doing bounties, rifts on torment.
- Achievement points could be used collectively by clans to purchase special buffs for clan members. (This should boost the clan chat system and make users actually want to be in a clan)
- Achievement points can only be obtained by doing achievements in game and cannot be obtained by drops or traded.

Obviously there's alot more work detail that would need to be addressed however I think this is something that would improve the game.

What do people think?
What do you think about the idea of having an option to purchase cosmetic items, be it for transmogrification or other things along the line mentioned by Nightshade above?

With in game gold and a decent price? Yes. With real money? No.

Do you think cosmetic items should be reserved for things like rewards and rare drops, or should there be more ways to obtain such items?

I don't think they should be exclusive to rewards from achievements but I do think some challenging achievements should yield such rewards (note: if that achievement requires farming then no, that is not what I mean). Rare drops are also not a bad idea but contrary to my previous statement I think these should be tied to locations or bosses, otherwise getting certain cosmetic item might bring a lot of frustration while, at the same time, it might be a distraction from end game (note: that is bad).

How much do cosmetic items matter to you, and how essential do you feel it is that more such items be added to the game in the future?

They matter from time to time so I could say I am indifferent on the matter. Personally I am all for characters looking awesome but my need for personalization of cosmetic items stems from personal opinion that some classes and even genders look ridiculous with certain legendary/unique items on them. For example Inna's pants are great but on my Demon Huntress it looks like a summer shorts. So yeah, more options would be nice.
I had to log in for this could not stand the idiotic posts and that is what i think
You want avatars and lollipop go play POE or LOL or whatever You want

THIS IS DIABLO!!!

DamZe <-------- could not have write it any better

Yes please.

Add as many micro-transactions as possible. Preferably expensive and extremely flashy. I'm pretty sure i wouldn't be the only one ready to drop tons of $$$ on them.

I've noticed you're taking the same route with WoW lately, besides the cosmetic items sold in the shop WoD will bring the boost to 90 feature as well.

We need more of these things in your games.

Heck i just got the d3 CE for 200€ few days ago only for the angelic wings.

Edit: failed a bit at currency

Edited by DamZe#2876 on 20/01/2014 16:41 GMT

More or less this. Purchasing an kind of items if only visual is stupid.
Why would I want to pay blizzard extra when I get barely anything from buying the game as it is. I would pay extra for challenge mode packs, and I would pay extra for things like runewords/ gemwords/ jewels/ new item upgrade features. Why would I give 2 !@#$s about what my character looks like when the game is extremely boring atm.

If premium content is a serious contender, give us endgame as extra content, and make the content good and long lasting, give us a reason to play, not just some cheap nasty cosmetic that I dont care about.